PDA

View Full Version : FX-6 (evil brother of FX-7) reviewed.

plasticfetish
11-17-2008, 02:12 AM
Love it or hate it, the scene in episode III where Vader finally becomes Vader has some cool elements. For me, as always, the best part is seeing new droids... and then seeing them crushed by Vader isn't bad either.

But the question isn't whether Vader was perhaps a little too rough on the droids in his hospital room, the question is: would Vader want to crush the new FX-6 figure? I'm personally still undecided.

To repeat the often repeated, I'll say again that droids make me happy, but mostly I'm happy when we get something new (or sort of), that isn't just a repaint of something old. In the case of FX-6, we're basically getting an all new droid, and though it's just a variation on the FX-7, just the same, it's something new.

Things I like: Hasbro has the idea down. Keep it simple with just enough detail, and make it sturdy enough to play with. I think they managed to pull this off, and though I find the bendy arms to be a little annoying, it's not the worst thing about this toy.

Things I don't like: The base is very unstable, and why they decided to design it so that the "feet" it sits on aren't equally spaced, I can't understand. FX-6 tips over pretty easily. My problem with the arms, aside from the fact that they're bendy, is that they're not all quite accurate. (Go find a photo of the droid in the film, and you'll see what I mean.)

It's pretty typical for Hasbro to sort of half get that kind of thing right, so I'll look at the play value aspect as being the most important, rather than nit-picking about how each arm looks. In all, it's a fun enough toy to play with, and when I (or if I bother to) dig my "Vader with operating table" set out, it'll be fun to have a few of these to go along with it.

I give FX-6 a 6 (maybe an FX-6.5) out of 10 for being a droid and somewhat fun, but he's a little tippy and flimsy, so he's not quite perfect. (Some kind of light-up feature would have gotten him points also.)

DarkArtist
11-17-2008, 11:30 AM
nice review.

my biggest problem is with the arms, still have yet to figure out how to get them in

Ji'dai
11-17-2008, 04:26 PM
I've passed on FX-6 both times I've seen it, though I thought the figure is "new" enough to differentiate it from other droids, even FX-7. Usually that's enough for me to rationalize a toy purchase, though not this time. Not yet, anyway.

I'm not sure where I'd put FX-6 if I got the droid. Maybe work it into my Echo Base med lab? I have the Deluxe Vader on operating table in storage and am unlikely to put it back out on display. I also never bought the last version of 2-1B, which fit into that ROTS scene too.

plasticfetish
11-17-2008, 05:10 PM
my biggest problem is with the arms, still have yet to figure out how to get them inIt's a bit of a puzzle, but if you fiddle around enough, there's really only one "right" way to put them in.

I also never bought the last version of 2-1B, which fit into that ROTS scene too.I'll admit that I passed on the new 2-1B also. I could have easily skipped FX-6 as well, but when it got down to it, I figured that I could hand him over to my son and he'd be happy enough with it. (That's probably what I'll end up doing.)

mabudonicus
11-18-2008, 11:51 AM
Soo, you think enough time has passed that your admitting to not getting a couple figures of Deuce a piece was gonna get a pass??

I SO want to "break friendship" right now...

:beard: Iso&Baws

Seriously PF, you of all people I could see enjoying him the way he was intended. Either way, just goofin in case I wasn't clear :D

El Chuxter
11-18-2008, 12:12 PM
2-1B smiles like a killer. You'd better hope he isn't really a killer, and he doesn't read what you said about him.

plasticfetish
11-18-2008, 11:07 PM
Soo, you think enough time has passed that your admitting to not getting a couple figures of Deuce a piece was gonna get a pass??I soooooo knew that I was gonna get busted for that one. ;)