PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Hero vs Rock Band

pbarnard
11-17-2008, 10:03 AM
This is for Wii...

My wife is wondeirng, what is the difference in terms of # of songs, playability/impressions between Rock Band and Guitar Hero? There's the obvious cost, insturment/interface difference, but what else is there?

She wants another game for 2009 and is undecided between those. She's already decided she doesn't want Wii Music despite us already having Wii Fit.

figrin bran
11-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Hmmm...if it were xbox360 or PS3, I'd tell you Rock Band as the number of songs is much, much greater than on Guitar Hero, especially with all the downloadable content songs.

Are you planning on purchasing the instrument bundles (guitar, drums, microphone) or just game plus guitar?

By the way, the instruments/controllers from both games should be compatible with one another.

I enjoy playing both so it's hard to pick one over the other though Rock Band 2 would get a slight nod.

If you don't mind buying older versions of the games - i.e. the first Rock Band or Guitar Hero 3 or Guitar Hero Aerosmith, I think there will be some Black Friday specials on them. I'll have to get back to you and the details.

El Chuxter
11-17-2008, 12:01 PM
You don't want my input.

pbarnard
11-17-2008, 12:39 PM
Are you planning on purchasing the instrument bundles (guitar, drums, microphone) or just game plus guitar?

By the way, the instruments/controllers from both games should be compatible with one another.

Black Friday specials on them. I'll have to get back to you and the details.

She'll (or we'll) be starting from scratch. Game, controlers everything. It's not that it is budget busting for us, just I think she thinks she's coordinated enough to play the drums. Her sense of rhythm and tone is a bit off to my trained ear (and yes, I have conducted small ensembles at the church level and run rehersals for larger ones at the collegiate level). Part of me says, I'll give up my game for 2009 if its good enough so it'll make it easier to justify buying it in her mind as well.

Slicker
11-17-2008, 03:25 PM
For songs I'd have to say Rock Band but I still prefer the Guitar Hero gameplay and the guitar itself over Rock Band. The Guitar Hero guitar is a bit smaller so it feels more comfortable to me.

mabudonicus
11-17-2008, 04:18 PM
The Guitar Hero guitar is a bit smaller so it feels more comfortable to me.

YR DOIN IT WRONG!!!

:beard: Iso&Baws

Oooohh BERN

Slicker
11-18-2008, 08:57 AM
It just reminds me more of the Tic-Tac. ;)

pbarnard
11-19-2008, 01:37 PM
You don't want my input.

I can't believe I'm about to do this, why not? I want to hear good, bad and indifferent.

El Chuxter
11-20-2008, 03:52 PM
I thought my reputation as the only person in the world who doesn't care for this sort of game was more established. I'll need to work on that.

But if you want my honest input, you should instead buy any of the Lego games (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Batman) that you don't have already.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-20-2008, 04:40 PM
My sister and I have Guitar Hero I and III and love them. I think she'll be getting World Tour soon, but I don't know for sure. I don't really know about the difference in gameplay, though. The drums on the first Rock Band weren't as "bouncy" as real drums so it was more distracting than anything. Apparently they fixed it for the second one, and the GH ones felt fine when I tried it.

I think, in the end, it comes down to the songs. You can find full lists on Wikipedia and see what you guys like better. There are quite a few cross-over songs now, so it's getting harder to see a discernable difference. Oh, and many of the songs on the first two Guitar Hero games were covers of varying quality, not the actual recordings, but it seems like most of the songs now are the real deal.

pbarnard
11-20-2008, 04:59 PM
But if you want my honest input, you should instead buy any of the Lego games (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Batman) that you don't have already.

It's my wife's choice. If it were me, maybe. I want something that uses the Wii's controller in a way that's fairly realistic. Straight arcade lifts aren't hat great. I only like Force Unleashed because even before it came out, you knew eventually they'd have a hack and slash SW game out there, plot line optional.

JON9000
11-26-2008, 09:10 AM
Unless there is interoperability between the instruments, I think Guitar Hero will eventually defeat RB anyway, due to the power of the brand. I wouldn't want to have 2 drum kits, mics, and 4 guitars laying about the house.

I do love singing "Run to the Hills" though. That's awesome!

Slicker
11-26-2008, 04:50 PM
I do love singing "Run to the Hills" though. That's awesome!If you love singing it you should try to play it on guitar on expert. Or for more fun try drums on expert. A guy I worked with and myself only beat that song once with me on expert on guitar and him on drums on expert. I rarely had trouble with my parts but the drums are just riduculous!

figrin bran
11-27-2008, 01:18 AM
[QUOTE=JON9000;649830]Unless there is interoperability between the instruments, I think Guitar Hero will eventually defeat RB anyway, due to the power of the brand. I wouldn't want to have 2 drum kits, mics, and 4 guitars laying about the house.

I do love singing "Run to the Hills" though. That's awesome![/QUOT

There is compatibility between GH and RB instruments, at least for xbox 360.

pbarnard, the Guitar Hero World Tour game + guitar bundle for Wii is a Target Black Friday special for only $59! Two things you might want to do are to look at youtube videos for Rock Band and Guitar Hero - believe me, there are tons. At least at my local stores (TRU, Best Buy, Walmart), there are lots of Guitar Hero and/or Rockband demos set up for people to play and so you may want to go take a look.

Like JJL said, ultimately it might just come down to which game has more songs that your wife enjoys. I enjoy playing GH World Tour but tonight had to play an entire set of Tool songs which I didn't enjoy at all. I played a little Rock Band 2 tonight as well and had to play some Grateful Dead and Steve Miller Band which I enjoyed more even though I'm not much of a classic rock maven.

Multiplayer mode is much, much, much better on Rock Band than on Guitar Hero World Tour as the displays are more user/gamer friendly. On GH WT, when your band fails a song, it's nigh impossible to figure out who caused the failure and therefore who to blame. Also you can't use star power to revive a band member who has failed so the overall band experience on GH WT just isn't as fun in my opinion.

In terms of the instrument controllers, Guitar Hero's guitar controllers are better and more durable than Rock Band's guitars. Although Rockband's guitars have larger frets. However, Guitar Hero's drumset is horribly cheap and easy to break, especially the cymbals. So one factor to consider is whether your wife thinks she'll spend more time on guitar/bass or drums or even vocals - I don't own a mic so I've no input on that.

pbarnard
11-29-2008, 11:14 AM
After looking at the song list and realizing she doesn't enjoy any of that music, she went and bought herself a Hottest Dance Party 2 for the Wii which just allows one to use their Mii's as characters. Very disturbing when you put a male Mii's head on the female bodies of the games...Can't play this right now till probably after the upcoming knee surgery.

We also got Shaun White Snowboarding world tour. Balance board play is much more fun than remote only play. I can sort of use the balance board for about 10 minutes (which the physical therapist actually encourages, but no jumping of the dance game).

El Chuxter
01-09-2009, 02:30 AM
Okay, pass the ketchup, and go with Guitar Hero.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-09-2009, 02:07 PM
To update on what I said earlier: we now have the full Rock Band set and the game of Guitar Hero: World Tour, because the first Rock Band bundle is currently about $90 cheaper than either the RB2 or GHWT bundles. The drums and microphone work on GH, and we already had two old GH controllers (which also work on Rock Band, but we haven't played that one nearly as much as GH, so there might be a problem we haven't seen yet).

sith_killer_99
04-09-2010, 09:42 PM
Well, as you all may know back in January I bought my daughter a Wii for her birthday.

Long story short, I recently got into playing these music games GH and RB. I have enjoyed the GH5 my wife bought me for our anniversary, so I bought a couple more GH: Aerosmith, GH III, and of course Rock Band. I bought them used from GameStop for like $12.99 each.:thumbsup:

Most of all I want to get The Beatles: Rock Band, but every store is sold out of the guitar controllers right now and I will have to get it online.

I did manage to play the game, with TOTALLY AWESOME BEATLES GUITAR, at Best Buy on the 360. It was a blast and I can't wait to buy it for myself. I was amazed at how much better the guitar controller was over the GH5 controller. The frets are smoother and easier to play the strum thing for the strings is much smoother, it's easily worth the $80-$100 price in terms of game play IMO.

Anyway, I have heard that there are more Beatles songs available for download, so I am pretty psyched about it, being a HUGE Beatles fan.

Does anyone know the plans for the future of these games. I would really like to increase my catalog of songs and I've heard there are many more available for download. Is this going to be an ongoing thing with more songs added as time goes on, or have I hit this thing towards the end of it's popularity?

Darth Jax
04-09-2010, 11:34 PM
since i just got a Wii recently, i went with GH for the controllers. Does Rock Band come as just the game or must you get the controllers also?

El Chuxter
04-09-2010, 11:50 PM
You can buy Rock Band separately. I've got RB2, RB: Beatles, and Lego RB (the one I'm currently working on completing). I haven't downloaded any tracks on Rock Band yet, though; their list is far more extensive than Guitar Hero's.

sith_killer_99
04-10-2010, 12:20 AM
since i just got a Wii recently, i went with GH for the controllers. Does Rock Band come as just the game or must you get the controllers also?

My guitar controller from GH5 does not work with the original Rock Band. From what I understand some controllers work with both games and some do not.:confused:

What I would REALLY like to have is Paul's bass and John's Rickenbacker guitars.

You can buy Rock Band separately. I've got RB2, RB: Beatles, and Lego RB (the one I'm currently working on completing). I haven't downloaded any tracks on Rock Band yet, though; their list is far more extensive than Guitar Hero's.

So both GH and RB offer downloadable content? It is just for certain platforms or can the Wii owners get in on the fun as well?:Pirate:

El Chuxter
04-10-2010, 12:28 AM
As I understand it, the first Rock Band requires the RB controllers, but later RB games work with Guitar Hero controllers. I've got one of the newer GH guitars that came with World Tour and one older one I got when Circuit City closed down (and somehow I lucked into an Aerosmith faceplate, which was sweet). They work fine with the RB games I have, but I don't have the first one.

Both offer downloadable content. GH used to have a lot of great freebies, but, recently, all the freebies on GH went bye-bye. It seems Nintendo doesn't want to pay for the bandwidth, so those songs are all totally gone. Can't even get them if you pay for them, which is unfortunate.

If you like these games, I'd keep your eyes open. There was quite a glut of GH and RB games in 2009, and I expect a lot of them to drop in price. Heck, I was able to get Band Hero (Guitar Hero, but with a more pop-oriented soundtrack) for $28 new at Costco in November.

sith_killer_99
04-10-2010, 12:46 AM
That's good to know. I bought the first RB, now I know I can pick up the others and still use my GH5 controller with them until I can get my Beatles guitars. The Rickenbacker shouldn't be too hard to find, but the Paul McCartney bass is going to be tough. I found one on Ebay, but I refuse to pay $200 for the thing.:mad:

Thanks for the info on the tracks. Too bad about Nintendo shutting down the free tracks. I'm sure they can be downloaded elsewhere without too much fuss since they were free after all.

I've already found several games used pretty cheap. I am a bargain hunter and hope to pay less than $15 per game, with very few exceptions, like the Beatles Rock Band.

I may end up buying the Limited (or is it "Special") Edition with the bass, then find someone who wants the drums to go in on it with me, as it will probably be cheaper that route.

Slicker
04-11-2010, 10:33 PM
Anyway, I have heard that there are more Beatles songs available for download, so I am pretty psyched about it, being a HUGE Beatles fan.

They've got nearly every album up for downloading right now. It's been a bit since I checked which ones but I'm quite sure they have Sgt. Peppers, Rubber Soul, and Revolver.