PDA

View Full Version : New Comic Packs

FundingMyAddiction
11-21-2008, 02:29 AM
Quinlan Vos/Commander Faie and Clone Emperor Palpatine/Luke came in the mail today from StarWarsShop.

I must say that they are every bit as beautiful in person as I'd imagined.

The holocron accessory is still an awesome idea, though nobody's hand is capable of holding it. Commander Faie is going to fit right in with my Kashyyyk forces. And I'm a huge Quinlan Vos fan, so I'm always happy to get another figure of him. Though I'm disappointed that they still insist on putting that gun holster on his waist. Just glancing through Republic 82 again, I don't see him having that anywhere.

The use of soft goods on the Emperor works really well, since they kept the top part of him plastic. The molded cape on Luke is a bit...awkward.

These are some of my favorite comic packs thus far.

DarkArtist
11-21-2008, 02:11 PM
Wow, I wasn't expecting these guys till 2009. nice might have to stop by and see if they still have them in stock. have been drooling over the DE Luke / Emperor since the pics were released

pbarnard
11-21-2008, 02:46 PM
My wife just found me the Karrde/Thrawn and the Vader/Trachta. The Mandos are already peg warming here. I passed on the Xizor/Leia for the time being. The joints are just to blatant and distract from what could've been good if not great figures.

DarkArtist
11-21-2008, 02:59 PM
My wife just found me the Karrde/Thrawn and the Vader/Trachta. The Mandos are already peg warming here. I passed on the Xizor/Leia for the time being. The joints are just to blatant and distract from what could've been good if not great figures.

i picked up the Karrde / Thrawn and Leia/Xizor sets, have yet to see the Trachta / Vader and Vader/Leia sets.

Xizor is a great detailed figure, major improvement over the POTF versions however, and maybe it's just mine but I can't get him to stand up. Leia is a nice figure (ankles aside) but would rather have seen a Guri or even Shadows Luke packed with Xizor instead.

Sinscia Fat'o
11-22-2008, 10:28 AM
Wow, Dark Empire Packs out all ready!? Sheesh! I can't keep up. I just found The Vader/Trachta, Xizor/Leia, and Karde/Thrawn sets last week.
I have not seen the Leia/Vader pack as of yet, but i'm sure they'll peg warm a little when they do come out...a white vader isn't going to make kids go crazy. . .

Blue2th
11-22-2008, 01:32 PM
I found Thrawn and Karrd. Whatayaknow the Ysalmir has feet! I remember arguing this with someone once here.

I saw the white Vader Leia pack, but it really didn't appeal to me.

I want that Trachta figure though. He looks cool. Haven't seen it yet.

DarkArtist
11-22-2008, 05:40 PM
picked up Vader and Tracha this morning while doing some Christmas shopping. the figures are cool, figured I would wait on the Leia/Vader set as I can see this one being the peg warmer of the series.

Obsession is Nute
11-24-2008, 12:04 AM
Picked up Thrawn/Karrde, Xizor/Leia, and Vader/Tracha last Friday. Have not opened them up yet, but I am very, very impressed with what I see so far.

For me, this is the best wave for the comic packs yet, there is at least one figure in each set that I have wanted/wanted an updated version of.

My biggest dissapointment is that Xizor has some stupid staff, which has no visual reference and is not suggested anywhere in the book, comic, or game. If I am not mistaken, is this not just a repainted Momaw Nadon staff? Stupid. Why not pack in his original, mini-bowcaster looking blaster? It would have been great for display, would have not cost all that much to make. Ugh. Also, cankles Leia is a stupid choice for SOTE. Beyond being a lost opportunity for a new character, and a poor mold for an old one, do you really think that Mom's would want to get there kids the one psuedo-sexual scene in the Star Wars Galaxy (At least it is the only one that comes to mind, correct me if I am wrong)?

As suggested earlier, Guri or SOTE Luke with jacket would have been good choices. A new Dash, Black Sun Gaurd, or Bounty Hunter Leia would have have been better, in my opinion.

Just my little gripes. Even then, one of the things I was most looking forward to this year, Xizor still looks awesome, light years ahead of his old mold!

Tycho
12-02-2008, 03:54 PM
but would rather have seen a Guri or even Shadows Luke packed with Xizor instead.

I hope that's a future SOTE comic pack (Luke and Guri). Guri won 2nd place out of EVERY possible figure from the movies or EU in the big polling project MadSlantedPowers did here. That's very impressive for an EU character - and most of you are responsible for voting her up there.

SOTE had 6 issues, IIRC.
Xizor and Leia =1,
Luke & Guri =2,
Lando (variation of smuggler or Trooper disguise) and new Chewie Snoova = 3
Big Gizz and Spiker (Jabba's swoop gang) = 4,
Dash Rendar and Leebo =5,
Jix (Vader's agent) and Koth Melan (Bothan SpyMaster) =6

SOTE could rock the comic 2-packs!!!

By the way: Guri could be done in multiple outfits as well - but those could be carded figures or Shadows of the Empire: Evolution could have its own comic packs with some cool bounty hunters, droids, and a new Princess Leia to boot. The standard SOTE should not be messed with!

EDIT: They should also make Black Sun thugs (troop builders - perhaps aliens re-issued with Black Sun affects on them?) I guess you could single-card them and they'd be "filler" in new waves.

Kidhuman
12-02-2008, 08:10 PM
I found these and passed. I dont need them.

Tycho
12-02-2008, 08:35 PM
The 3 series that adapted the Heir to the Empire Trilogy (Dark Force Rising, The Last Command) would yeild 18 comic 2-packs possible:

1. Luke / Mara
2. Thrawn / Karrde
3. Leia / Kahbarakh (Noghri)
4. Capt. Palleon / Rukh (Noghri)
5. Joruus C'Boath / Noghri (foot soldier)

Now we need to get Han, Lando, Chewie, maybe Chewie's 2 Wookiee friends from this series, Imperial General Covell, Garm Bel Ibis, and several of the ladies that operated as his agents, the Mystril Warrior women, Winter, and more - Niles Ferrier and his Wraith / Defel...

Some would make good picks, others side more along the lines of boring for general audiences (but never for diorama builders like myself).

pbarnard
12-03-2008, 10:54 AM
There's a problem with Shada (one of the Mazzic's Mystril guards). Since she is allegely in disguise as one of the Tonnika sisters, how do you end round that debacle?

Tycho
12-03-2008, 12:00 PM
There's a problem with Shada (one of the Mazzic's Mystril guards). Since she is allegely in disguise as one of the Tonnika sisters, how do you end round that debacle?

First, she's not always disguised as a Tonnika sister. You can make her figure as she appears normally (as shown in the comics).

Second, you might even get away with issuing the Tonnika sister figures FINALLY by using the Mystril girl names on the packaging. But I understand Hasbro might be barred from doing that as well, since it is a likeness issue with Angela Staines (Christine Hewitt passed away but gave permission at Celebration 3 - yet there is still a controversy over which actress played which Tonnika).

So we have:

SHADOWS OF THE EMPIRE:

1) Xizor and Leia
2) Luke (tan vest) & Guri
3) Lando (variation of smuggler or Trooper disguise) and new Chewie Snoova
4) Big Gizz and Spiker (Jabba's swoop gang)
5) Dash Rendar and Leebo
6) Jix (Vader's agent) and Koth Melan (Bothan SpyMaster)

HEIR TO THE EMPIRE:

1. Luke / Mara
2. Thrawn / Karrde
3. Leia / Kahbarakh (Noghri)
4. Capt. Palleon / Rukh (Noghri)
5. Joruus C'Boath / Noghri (foot soldier)
6. Han Solo / Garm Bel Ibis
7. Niles Ferrier / Wraith (Defel)
8. Lando Calrissian / Imperial General Covell (AT-ST outfit, likely)
9. Chewbacca / Fynn Torve (smuggler pilot)
10. Winter / Ghent (Karrde's computer slicer)
11. Stormtrooper / Aves (smuggler)
12. Irenez (Rebel Agent) / (blue) smuggler boss (other organization)
13. Mystril Warrior Woman (Shada) / Mystril Warrior Woman (other)

I know if I re-read these books I can come up with 18 two-packs or 36 figures. Alternate Luke and Leia figures would also be smart. Perhaps a Leia figure could come with the twins as infants (Jaina and Jacen) pack-ins, instead of a 2nd figure. There could also be a Luuke (Clone) figure and a Mara Jade figure of her in camaouflage from the Wayland mission. Admiral Ackbar might also be crafted in underwater battle gear - though I don't think it differs from the Clone Wars Mon Calamari figures we got already.

DarkArtist
12-03-2008, 03:06 PM
I found these and passed. I dont need them.

KH you passed them by, the Dark Empire set and the Faie / Vos set. are they still on the pegs? if so pm me and maybe we can work out a deal or something

Kidhuman
12-03-2008, 03:29 PM
I dont know, I saw them a few days ago. I will be out on Friday, if I see em, I will get em for you and let you know.

Old Fossil
12-05-2008, 03:40 PM
So far I think I've see all these sets at retail at least once. I was only just barely impressed enough with the Thrawn/Karrde set to buy it; the rest just didn't do anything for me.

The comic packs are rapidly losing my interest, as is the SW line in general.

Kidhuman
12-05-2008, 03:58 PM
KH you passed them by, the Dark Empire set and the Faie / Vos set. are they still on the pegs? if so pm me and maybe we can work out a deal or something

I dont know, I saw them a few days ago. I will be out on Friday, if I see em, I will get em for you and let you know.

Sorry DA, didnt find them today. Will still be on the look out though

Tycho
12-06-2008, 01:50 AM
How about Dark Empire?

1) Luke / Palpatine
2) Shug Nix / Sallah Zend
3) Princess Leia / Executer Sedriss
4) Newly Forming Palpatine Clone / Imperial Sentinel
5) Jem / Rayf
6) King Brand / Executer Nyst
7) Jaina Solo / Jacen Solo (maybe a carded figure 2-pack, as they were only 2 years old and Ewok-size

Any others from Dark Empire?

pbarnard
12-11-2008, 09:03 AM
I picked up a Clone Emperor/Luke pack. I'm very impressed with the sculpt of the Emperor. If you take his robe off, you get a version that looks like he just emerged from the cloning vats. Very nice and detailed. I'm thinking of getting a few more of these just for the Clone Emperor body to use for customs (mostly Yuuzhan Vong type, but maybe a Palpy in various stages of degeneracy).

Also, to the jackasses that continue to bend cards in the hopes that others won't buy because you blew your mommy's trick fund already this month, I don't care since I open them. I'm not buying a creased card because I have to have the figure/card. I'm buying because I like the pieces of plastic inside. At least you're not repack with the wrong figure guy, but they at least stick it to the stores. Both of you stick it to your fellow collectors. And that's why you will be summarily executed if found. Ok, I'm done.

The Karrde/Thrawn set is begining to peg warm.

DarkArtist
12-11-2008, 09:15 AM
I picked up a Clone Emperor/Luke pack. I'm very impressed with the sculpt of the Emperor. If you take his robe off, you get a version that looks like he just emerged from the cloning vats. Very nice and detailed. I'm thinking of getting a few more of these just for the Clone Emperor body to use for customs (mostly Yuuzhan Vong type, but maybe a Palpy in various stages of degeneracy).

Also, to the jackasses that continue to bend cards in the hopes that others won't buy because you blew your mommy's trick fund already this month, I don't care since I open them. I'm not buying a creased card because I have to have the figure/card. I'm buying because I like the pieces of plastic inside. At least you're not repack with the wrong figure guy, but they at least stick it to the stores. Both of you stick it to your fellow collectors. And that's why you will be summarily executed if found. Ok, I'm done.

The Karrde/Thrawn set is begining to peg warm.

i like the rant pbarnard. i feel the same way. i think it's crazy the lenghts some collectors and scalpers go to make it harder for fans to get mint versions of the newer figures.

i like the idea you have about getting multiple Palpatine's for Vong customs. was thinking of something along the same lines as well, maybe even making a custom cloning chamber with the extra figures, just not sure what to do with the extra Lukes ?

DarkArtist
12-11-2008, 09:17 AM
Sorry DA, didnt find them today. Will still be on the look out though

thanks KH. i still on the lookout as well, so far no luck. hey if i have to wait till '09 before i get them so be it. i'm just a huge Dark Empire fan and love the look of Palpatine and the Jedi holocron accessory.

Tycho
12-14-2008, 06:01 PM
So I'm on Dark Horse Comics' timeline page in another window and I'm reviewing all their comics they could join Hasbro in offering action figures from.

These are my thoughts (and I edited out Marvel Comics reprints, as I don't personally care for them, as well as some niche or episodic chapters from Dark Horse):

Tales of the Jedi: The Golden Age of the Sith - Odan-Urr and Naga Sadow, Jori Darragon, etc. could be interesting, and I'd probably buy. But I'm NOT campaigning for these.

Tales of the Jedi: Knights of the Old Republic - Ulic Qel Droma, the already-made Mandalore, Exar Kun, Nomi Sunrider - YES - and many more characters please!

Knights of the Old Republic: Commencement - I'm not sure I care. Zayne Carrick is sort of likeable. Still, the whole story has been stretched out and isn't "epic" yet. I'm not into video games, so Revan and Malick allude me and I didn't bother buying their figures.

Jedi vs. Sith - they made Darth Bane. But I don't really care. Githany, Khan, they all might be nice, but I don't think I'm buying.

Qui-Gon & Obi-Wan the Mantellian Savrip (also part of the Dejerik chess board characters on the Falcon) would be awesome!

Jedi Council - they're coming out with K'Kruhk. They need to make the large padawan Theen Fida (I think) who was Tsui Choi's apprentice. I don't care if Micah Giett or Lilit TwoSeas are ever made though. The Yinchorri enemies are completely necessary!

Darth Maul - some Black Sun tattoo'd / outfitted thugs of all kinds of species could be really cool. They made Maul's Sith training droids. They should make the Nightsister that Maul fought.

Republic - Master Tholme, Treesarah (however you spell the Neti Jedi's name) would be cool. The Quinlan figures rock and Aayla made it into the movies. Villie got a figure. This is a good source-series and it goes into the Clone Wars, too. The Dathomir Nightsisters that Quinlan faced could also be very cool.

Stark Hyperspace War - some standard Republic Navy soldiers would be nice. A young Obi-Wan and young Quinlan Vos could be cool (especially Obi-Wan because he'd match up with the Jedi Apprentice series of books, too.

Clone Wars - some Kaminoans would be nice. They could be issued as movie figures too, though. They did a lot of figures peppered around "Last Stand of Jabiim." What would be cool are other Jedi like Jeisel, and characters like Quinlan's girlfriend, as well as Autumn Seguro, the Coruscant Guard, etc. Plus now they can go into making the animated characters in realistic style, like Ahsoka.

Dark Times Volume 1: The Path to Nowhere - Dass Jennir and his little alien buddy might be interesting. I'd actually look forward to buying these.

Classic Star Wars: Han Solo at Stars' End - - Bollux and Blue Max would rock, maybe with Gallandro or a Gladiator Droid.

Underworld: The Yavin Vassilika - The chic and the other bounty hunter that controlled the Jawas would be fun.

Empire Volume 3: The Imperial Perspective - they're making Tank (Lt. Sunber) and the Amanin. This is a cool pack.

Rebellion Volume 3: Small Victories - they've made 2 Deena Shans and the corresponding Luke figures. I don't know if I'm buying. It doesn't look good.

Splinter of the Mind's Eye - no thanks.

Shadows of the Empire - yes. About 4 more Comic 2 packs will do just fine!!!

X-Wing Rogue Squadron - so much can be done here including civilian and pilot uniforms for many characters and some villains. Ysanne Isard and Sate Pestage are so necessary, too.

Mara Jade - new Mara figures would be welcome.

Shadows of the Empire - Evolution - I heard they were making Guri from this comic. The Droid or some of the bounty hunters, or Luke and Leia would be nice, too!

Boba Fett: Twin Engines of Destruction - I want this released! I need the comic for my collection, too.

Heir to the Empire - Yes! And we've had this discussion.

Dark Empire - Yup. We had this discussion, too.

Crimson Empire - Mirith Sinn, Sadeet (the Trandoshan) Nom Anor's first appearance, etc.

Jedi Academy: Leviathan - some of Luke's Jedi including Kyp Durron would be awesome. This wasn't a good comic, but it's a source for eventual NJO Jedi, as well as Luke in a new look as a Jedi Master (but kind of what they did for Evolutions).

Union - I'm not really aching for this. Luke and Mara, how cute... but they could get the Solo children as youngsters out of here.

Legacy - there are a lot of characters they can harvest from Legacy. I'd love to see a large collection. Darth Krayyt is a must-have though. Emperor Roan Fel too, I think.

DarkArtist
12-19-2008, 08:25 AM
found these pics posted at RebelScum.com and POTF2.com of an upcoming figure for a Rogue Squadron Comic Pack. looks pretty good, finally a Mon Cal X-Wing Pilot.

El Chuxter
12-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Is that for real? The neck looks too small for that monstrous head.

obi-dad
12-19-2008, 10:42 AM
I know this is just wrong, but please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks between the sculpting of the bridge of this guys nose and his forhead, that he could self-reproduce??? :shocked: I dare you look at a closeup of that last picture w/o the helmet!

El Chuxter
12-19-2008, 11:18 AM
OMG, you're right.

DarkJedi5
12-19-2008, 11:33 AM
I think the helmet will stay on....

pbarnard
12-19-2008, 12:27 PM
found these pics posted at RebelScum.com and POTF2.com of an upcoming figure for a Rogue Squadron Comic Pack. looks pretty good, finally a Mon Cal X-Wing Pilot.

Well that is Ibtasim from the Rogue Squadron comics.

obi-dad
12-19-2008, 12:34 PM

We're both right, but for your comment, Hasbro should have resculpted the neck piece at the top of the torso to be wider. That looks pretty skinny.

DarkJedi5
12-19-2008, 12:36 PM
Sure, but it doesn't mean her forehead is supposed to look like that. In fact the smattering of images on wookieepedia would suggest that the "indentation" is inaccurate. Also the same illustrations portray her neck a little thicker for lack of a better word.

obi-dad
12-19-2008, 12:46 PM
You know, for a figure that I think looks pretty cool, I sure can notice a lot of things to point out. It also looks like, if you look at the 2nd pick of the whole body, that the proportions look more like for a small child or baby, where the head proportions to the body are greater. Even for a Mon Calamari, that head looks huge (again the neck too thin) and his hands almost reach his knees (instead of mid thigh). And as far as what you're saying (DJ5), I agree, I've never seen a Mon Calamari in the movies, comics, or any art with a head with those particular shapes. To me, it almost looks like and intentional inside joke played by the sculptor. (unless this is really an elaborate joke that someone took an Ackbar head & hands, sculpted some additional "features" to the head, did an outstanding paintjob and finally attached them to a SA X-wing body.

pbarnard
12-19-2008, 01:03 PM
You know, for a figure that I think looks pretty cool, I sure can notice a lot of things to point out. It also looks like, if you look at the 2nd pick of the whole body, that the proportions look more like for a small child or baby, where the head proportions to the body are greater. Even for a Mon Calamari, that head looks huge (again the neck too thin) and his hands almost reach his knees (instead of mid thigh). And as far as what you're saying (DJ5), I agree, I've never seen a Mon Calamari in the movies, comics, or any art with a head with those particular shapes. To me, it almost looks like and intentional inside joke played by the sculptor. (unless this is really an elaborate joke that someone took an Ackbar head & hands, sculpted some additional "features" to the head, did an outstanding paintjob and finally attached them to a SA X-wing body.

The neck is fairly accurate to the comic work. The thing that is off is first the tightness of the flight suit. The next is the size of the forearms/fins. They should be much larger and much longer. Also, she should be slightly taller.

I've seen better custom work if that is a custom, but this is pretty good if a bit inaccurate.

DarkJedi5
12-19-2008, 01:31 PM
It's no custom, it's part of a comic pack coming to Walmart with Nrin Vakil early next year. There are also going to be an ewok three pack (all in awful looking paint schemes) and another trooper based one I think. There was a story posted somewhere about this wave a while back... I'll see if I can't find it....

Edit-
Here is a description of the wave, photos of all of these were in the Comic-Con slide show under exclusives.

Star Wars Comic Packs: Marvel Star Wars # 94 (2009, Wal-Mart Exclusive) - Ewoks Keoulkeech, Machook and Kettch)

Star Wars Comic Packs: Star Wars: Empire # 16 (2009, Wal-Mart Exclusive) - Lieutenant Sunber and Amanin

Star Wars Comic Packs: Star Wars: X-Wing Rogue Squadron # 19 (2009, Wal-Mart Exclusive) - Nrin Vakil and Ibtisam

El Chuxter
12-19-2008, 01:33 PM
A pencil neck works in comic art. Not so much in a realistic figure.

Tycho
12-19-2008, 01:52 PM
Ibitisam is a GIRL Mon Calamari. That might be the cause for the sculpt difference. And I'm not positive, but it may also be the reason she is blue. I'm not sure there are blue males. There might be red females though - as it would appear from the ROTS opera scene (but I couldn't tell anything as the characters appear so small, even on my big screen).

FundingMyAddiction
12-19-2008, 04:16 PM
Republic - Master Tholme, Treesarah (however you spell the Neti Jedi's name) would be cool. The Quinlan figures rock and Aayla made it into the movies. Villie got a figure. This is a good source-series and it goes into the Clone Wars, too. The Dathomir Nightsisters that Quinlan faced could also be very cool.

Clone Wars - some Kaminoans would be nice. They could be issued as movie figures too, though. They did a lot of figures peppered around "Last Stand of Jabiim." What would be cool are other Jedi like Jeisel, and characters like Quinlan's girlfriend, as well as Autumn Seguro, the Coruscant Guard, etc. Plus now they can go into making the animated characters in realistic style, like Ahsoka.

I completely agree that we need a Tholme figure ASAP. He plays a fairly large part in most of Quin's stories and we already have two Quinlans. I think a Khaleen (Quin's girlfriend) figure would be cool too. But I'm a huge Quinlan fan. I'm not sure it would really have widespread appeal.

Obsession is Nute
12-19-2008, 04:30 PM
When did Vos face the Nightsister's? Talk about a screwed up canon, the Nightsisters appear EVERYWHERE in spite of being "few of number" and outcasts that were on a prison planet/colony. With that said, I would still love to see them made into figures.

I would love to see Kadrian Sey be made, she would be packaged with Dooku or Sora Bulq.

El Chuxter
12-19-2008, 05:06 PM
The only Nightsister who was of any real significance will never be made since Hasbro hates the Ewok movies, and hates everyone who wants figures from them. :(

Obsession is Nute
12-19-2008, 05:12 PM
I think we could see a Darth Maul and Mighella combo pack.

I would love to see Tyber Zahn, Silri, and Urai Fen, but Hasbro doesn't like the strategy games. ):

DarkJedi5
12-19-2008, 06:23 PM
The only Nightsister who was of any real significance will never be made since Hasbro hates the Ewok movies, and hates everyone who wants figures from them. :(

Doesn't everyone hate Ewok movies?

bigbarada
12-19-2008, 08:28 PM
Doesn't everyone hate Ewok movies?

I love the Ewok movies! I would really like to see figures based on the characters; but I'd be happy with just a Chukha-Trok and Kaink 2-pack.

VexOrdo
12-19-2008, 10:51 PM
I think we could see a Darth Maul and Mighella combo pack.

I would love to see Tyber Zahn, Silri, and Urai Fen, but Hasbro doesn't like the strategy games. ):

Tyber Zahn would be awesome, but I could see those figures going as more of an EE Exclusive.

Tycho
12-20-2008, 02:56 AM
When did Vos face the Nightsister's? Talk about a screwed up canon, the Nightsisters appear EVERYWHERE in spite of being "few of number" and outcasts that were on a prison planet/colony. With that said, I would still love to see them made into figures.

I would love to see Kadrian Sey be made, she would be packaged with Dooku or Sora Bulq.

There was a 4-part comic arc in Republic where Quinlan ended up as a slave on Dathomir. The Nightsisters didn't escape, but Quinlan thwarted their plan to do just that. It was one comic with Quinlan where Jan Duursema did not do the artwork.

The only Nightsister I saw OFF Dathomir was in the Darth Maul comic where the former Prince of Black Sun kept one as his body guard. She was using him to quietly gain power of course. But Darth Maul didn't leave either of them alive.

Only later when Han and Leia went to Dathomir in a novel, did modern "witches" do battle with Luke Skywalker as well as Imperial forces.

Blue2th
09-26-2009, 09:58 AM
I've been catching up on my comic-packs.
So far in the last few days I've bought:

Faie & Quinlan Vos
Borsk Fey'la & Academy Wedge

The Walmart Ewok pack has all but disappeared around here. I bought one of those early on. I still need to get the other two which seem to be peg warming around here:

Lt. Sunber & Amanin
Ibtasin & Nrin Vakil
I figured this one would be hard to find because it's pretty good, and both alien pilots look to be super articulated, but it's everywhere, so I can wait a little longer.

Next on my list which have disappeared from the pegs and I'll have to get online are:

Ki-Adi-Mundi & Sharad Hett
Clone Emperor & Luke
Luke & Deena

Anybody seen the new ones with Kyle Kararn & Yuuzan Von, Darth Krayt & Sigel Dare, and Luke & Lumiya yet?

Tycho
09-26-2009, 10:15 AM
Anybody seen the new ones with Kyle Kararn & Yuuzan Von, Darth Krayt & Sigel Dare, and Luke & Lumiya yet?

No. I want those badly. I've been looking for them online, too. No luck yet.

Xizor and Leia are pegwarming bad, and the older Luke / Deena Shan pack (Imperial Officer Disguises), and in lesser amounts, Grand Admiral Thrawn and Talon Karrde are clogging the pegs. They need to clearance them out OR smart merchandising would be to take some of them into the back, stock the new stuff, and make Xizor and Leia look more rare - like the last chance to buy them. That stuff works psychologically with consumers. Sure, for all of you who read this and say "Not me," that's fine, but you'll be happy with results when those things sell out of there and we get new comic packs in.

BTW: I'm going to army-build that Yuuzhan Vong so I'll have as many as 13 or more Kyle Katarn's available for purchase from me for exactly half-the-price of what I pay for them. I know the Vong is larger than he should be, but I'm going to have some fun with it. You can buy the entire package, comic book included. All I want is the Vong. Or you can sell it to me at the same half-price plus s&h.

jonthejedi
09-26-2009, 10:30 AM
Saw them once several months ago at Annapolis, MD Target....never saw them again.

Blue2th
09-26-2009, 11:06 AM
Yeah I've been seeing more of those Leia & Xizor packs more than anything, at Target and other than the exclusives, at Walmart too. I'll eventually get one of those, but the Leia in that one is very chessey looking is why it'll probably be the last one I round up. I would justify it on sale because of the Xizor.

I bought that Thrawn & Kaarde pack when I first saw it, as I'm a big fan of HTE, but it's pegwarming bad too. I think I even bought the Luke & Deena Imperials, but I have to check on that. If not I'll pick one up.

That's a lot of Kyle Kararns Tycho. :shocked: I just want one. Not good for army building. You can always put them up for auction, take one good pic, start them out at .99 and add $2 for a padded envelope. What you can't trade or sell to members that is.

Didn't Hasbro say that the comic packs were "ify" in the Q&A if the old ones didn't clear out?
That would be a crying shame if they stopped making them. Don't know how else we're going to get these cool EU characters.

I still want a Han & Jaxxon comic pack. :yes:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-26-2009, 01:44 PM
Next on my list which have disappeared from the pegs and I'll have to get online are:

Ki-Adi-Mundi & Sharad Hett
Clone Emperor & Luke
Luke & Deena
I know at least the Ki-Adi-Mundi/Sharad and Luke/Deena sets are shipping on the new red cards, since I've seen them both a few times. I got the Yuuzhan Vong wave at a TRU last weekend, so it's definitely out there.

There are still a few of the first Luke and Deena packs sitting around, but they're mostly gone. One Target still has a Quinlan and Villie pack. Some of the 2008 ones are still sitting as well, but I don't really care enough to look and see what they are . . . just keep scanning for the red cards, with the curved lower bubble.

DarkArtist
09-26-2009, 01:48 PM
have yet to spot these anywhere at retail yet.... pegs around me are clogged with Lt Shan and Lt Jundland...

Blue2th
09-26-2009, 02:27 PM
I know at least the Ki-Adi-Mundi/Sharad and Luke/Deena sets are shipping on the new red cards, since I've seen them both a few times. I got the Yuuzhan Vong wave at a TRU last weekend, so it's definitely out there.

There are still a few of the first Luke and Deena packs sitting around, but they're mostly gone. One Target still has a Quinlan and Villie pack. Some of the 2008 ones are still sitting as well, but I don't really care enough to look and see what they are . . . just keep scanning for the red cards, with the curved lower bubble.

That's cool to know the Ki-Adi-Mundi & Sharad Fett are reissued on the red cards, as I wasn't sure about that one. It's getting scarce even online in the blue packs. Don't want to miss out. I like the looks and articulation on Ki, plus the hat.

Got the Quinlan and Villie pack already. That one's pegwarming around here also.

It was weird that when I was looking for the Wedge & Borsk, I found only one in all the Walmarts and Targets I went to, so I bought the only one I found, rather than try to hunt it down later.

Tycho
09-26-2009, 03:32 PM
Didn't Hasbro say that the comic packs were "ify" in the Q&A if the old ones didn't clear out?
That would be a crying shame if they stopped making them. Don't know how else we're going to get these cool EU characters.

Yeah, when we've got Exar Kun and Ulic Qel Droma coming up on deck, too.

Tre'Saa and Tholme, also. They really need to make Zayne Carrick and Gryph, the Mandalorian and Jarael, as well as Nomi and a Sith Lord Ulic, Sylvar and Vodo Siossk Baas, a Mandalorian Warrior and a Tetan-Sith Battle Droid (good army building set right there), and so many more from that KOTOR era.

I don't know exactly WHY that Xizor / Leia pack does so poorly. That was the authentic outfit Leia wore on Coruscant during SOTE when she was trying to win Black Sun's support for the Rebel Alliance. The height of the figure is accurate to Carrie Fisher's actual stature, so yes she looks smaller. Many later Princess Leia figures have gotten subsequently smaller since the POTJ era and Leia Bespin escape. I think her disproportionate ankles don't help, but I don't know why Hasbro thought it important to give Leia articulation there for that outfit. Yeah, on a speederbike-riding Endor Leia I could see it being useful. But really...

Meanwhile, another comic pack to support SOTE released concurrently might have helped: Luke Tan Vest w. Guri (red dress or purple outfit from SOTE:E), Koth Melan (Bothan Spy) with Lando Stormtrooper Disguise, or new Dash Rendar with Leebo (droid), or new Chewie Snoova with new Luke Coruscant Trooper...

Veteran Star Wars fans know SOTE, but I can see the kids going WTF? Even with the comic included. That was 1996. Having 2 packs out there to support it, with two main characters in new outfits (Leia and Luke perhaps?) would help to boost it. There are 6 issues of SOTE comics that could lend to 12 figures from that series total.

1. Luke
2. Leia
3. Chewie
4. Lando
5. Xizor
6. Guri
7. Dash Rendar
8. Leebo
9. Koth Melan
10. Spiker
11. Big Gizz
12. Darth Vader, IG-88, or Boba Fett as a main character option

bigbarada
09-26-2009, 04:37 PM
have yet to spot these anywhere at retail yet.... pegs around me are clogged with Lt Shan and Lt Jundland...

Those guys are still pegwarming here along with the Amanin pack and the Mon Calamari/Quarren Rebel Pilots pack. I've been tempted to buy the Amanin set, but don't know anything about the story and I'm pretty sure those things will be going on clearance before Christmas. If the Imperial Officer figure had been super-articulated (and not green), then I would have bought this thing months ago.

JetsAndHeels
09-26-2009, 04:51 PM
I haven't seen any of the new comic packs...and I mean ANY of them. I had to get my ewoks set at a Walmart out of town because the stores around me still have the old stuff.

When I say old stuff, I mean the old stuff..like Boba Fett with the purple droid.

Yeah, that old.

Paroviper
09-26-2009, 07:57 PM
Does anyone know the name of the figure that i believe came in a comic 2-pack?

He is dressed as a tie fighter pilot in black, with a removeable helmet, and the face looks to be a white guy with a moustache...Biggs?

Ji'dai
09-26-2009, 11:54 PM
Does anyone know the name of the figure that i believe came in a comic 2-pack?

He is dressed as a tie fighter pilot in black, with a removeable helmet, and the face looks to be a white guy with a moustache...Biggs? There was a comic pack with a TIE & Rebel pilot last year.. Baron Fel and Hobbie. Fel doesn't have a 'stache though.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-27-2009, 12:08 AM
Well, the description sounds like the Biggs in TIE gear figure that came out in the Evolutions set last year. The Fel/Hobbie pack doesn't have a TIE pilot gear figure or a moustache.

djsosharp
09-27-2009, 12:08 AM
I still haven't found almost anything that I want lately either. Did pick up Wedge/Borsk and the new Ki-Adi/Hett at a Target (I'm in Louisville KY). But I am fiending after Luke/Deena (black outfits), Luke/Lumiya, Katarn/Vong and Krayt/Dare. Come on stores I've got my cards lined up all ready to give you money. Now stock your shelves!

Ji'dai
09-27-2009, 12:28 AM
The Fel/Hobbie pack doesn't have a TIE pilot gear figure or a moustache. The one I bought did. Fel's flight suit is is a customized version of the standard Imperial one. The figure came with removable chest armor and a TIE Fighter helmet with attached hoses and airpack.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-27-2009, 02:14 AM
Yeah, I guess there's more TIE gear (http://www.rebelscum.com/TACcomicpacks12.asp) than I remembered. It came out two years ago and I haven't given it a ton of thought since then. Still, it seems he was talking about the Biggs from the Imperial Pilots Evolutions set (http://www.rebelscum.com/tlcEVOImpPilots1.asp).

DarkJedi5
09-27-2009, 02:37 AM
Except Fel does have a goatee in the packaging illustration... maybe that's what he means by mustache?

FundingMyAddiction
09-27-2009, 05:09 AM
I haven't seen any of the new comic packs...and I mean ANY of them. I had to get my ewoks set at a Walmart out of town because the stores around me still have the old stuff.

When I say old stuff, I mean the old stuff..like Boba Fett with the purple droid.

Yeah, that old.

I still find this to be completely bizarre. We don't have any of the old comic packs locally anymore. We have a ton of Xizor/Leia packs. The Wal-Mart exclusives (Ewoks and all) were plentiful at almost every single Wal-Mart here.

I've only seen the re-issues of the old comic packs in new packaging and even then, I've only seem then at Toys R Us. I too haven't seen ANY of the new ones.

Blue2th
09-27-2009, 09:57 AM
I hesitated buying a few of these because I simply hated the swivel elbows on usually the secondary figure. Most times at least one of the figures are super articulated, but decided that I'll never get some of these characters any other way like Borsk Fey'la, whom I like a lot because he's in Heir to the Empire, and also the only Bothan we've ever gotten.

Paroviper
09-27-2009, 08:27 PM
Yes it is BIGGS from the evolutions set, thanks! I have the Baron Fel, and he has lighter grey highlights, where BIGGS has the suit all in black. Htanks for you help guys!!

off topic, I have the two-headed announcer that came with Jabba the Hutt, beast pack for the Ep 1 set, is it supposed to be the Fode & Beed prequel figure? because other than the body & two-head idea, there is no facial resemblance between them.

If this two-headed announcer is different, is there a proper name for him? I looked in Wookiepedia and could find none...

Tycho
09-27-2009, 09:55 PM
Consider the Two-Headed Announcer a concept figure for Fode and Beed.

I'm putting the one I have in one of my scenes (forget which) as another alien of that species. Might as well make him useful.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-27-2009, 10:46 PM
It's based on how the character was going to look - they filmed the actors with make-up on their faces and wearing blue bodysuits against a bluescreen and were going to just CGI the bodies, but ended up doing the whole character.

El Chuxter
09-27-2009, 11:19 PM
I've heard the name Hexen & Rexen for the two-headed announcer prior to the "official" name of Fode & Beed being released around the time of TPM. I think the Jabba set was designed not only prior to the final, all-CG design, but before a name was even decided upon. Otherwise, it would have one set of names or the other, but not "Two-Headed Announcer."

bigbarada
09-28-2009, 08:50 PM
I've heard the name Hexen & Rexen for the two-headed announcer prior to the "official" name of Fode & Beed being released around the time of TPM. I think the Jabba set was designed not only prior to the final, all-CG design, but before a name was even decided upon. Otherwise, it would have one set of names or the other, but not "Two-Headed Announcer."

I completely forgot that they had actors in make-up doing the dialogue originally. It would make sense that the original toy would be based on that.

Either way, it's easily one of the lamest looking characters in the history of Star Wars (I would say "the lamest" but Ben Quadrinaros is in the very same movie), so I never actually gave the action figure a second look.

El Chuxter
09-28-2009, 09:19 PM
It really bugs me that there's a two-headed creature of any sort, much less a sentient with two distinct brains. Supposedly, a biologist helped design and approve the aliens for the prequel trilogy, to ensure all would be viable in their ecosystem. (That's why we get things Watto's gas-bloated belly, to bouy his body since the wings are otherwise too small.)

Trouble is, a two-headed creature would not survive, much less be the fittest from an evolutionary perspective, and a benevolent creator wouldn't put two potentially argumentative minds in one body. Fode & Beed should not exist, period.

bigbarada
09-28-2009, 09:23 PM
It really bugs me that there's a two-headed creature of any sort, much less a sentient with two distinct brains. Supposedly, a biologist helped design and approve the aliens for the prequel trilogy, to ensure all would be viable in their ecosystem. (That's why we get things Watto's gas-bloated belly, to bouy his body since the wings are otherwise too small.)

Trouble is, a two-headed creature would not survive, much less be the fittest from an evolutionary perspective, and a benevolent creator wouldn't put two potentially argumentative minds in one body. Fode & Beed should not exist, period.

I guess the only explanation would be a conjoined twin, but not with two completely different facial structures. So, it's an abomination no matter how you look at it.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-28-2009, 09:40 PM
Maybe it's a freakin' alien in a Star Wars movie. :p :D

El Chuxter
09-28-2009, 10:01 PM
I'm just sayin', two heads is silly and wrong. It doesn't bother me that there's a thing with two heads in Jabba's palace, since there was no biologist on staff to check all the designs. What were they paying her for? Or did Fode & Beed get thought up on her day off, and an intern approved it? I bet that's what happened, and when she saw the final cut of the movie, she found out which intern approved it, and then, well, su culo esta en fuego. ;)

bigbarada
09-28-2009, 10:03 PM
Maybe it's a freakin' alien in a Star Wars movie. :p :D

Well, until the prequels, most of the aliens that showed up in the Star Wars films had enough grounding in reality to be believable and looked like something that could exist on Earth. Most of this was due to the fact that the aliens had to actually be built in the real world as costumes or puppets.

With the advent of CG animation, filmmakers are no longer constricted to the laws of physics so they can create whatever they can imagine. Which is good and bad. Good, when they can make an alien look realistic and convincing, bad when they create something like Fode & Bede which could never exist in Nature or Creation (depending on your worldview).

I know we could come up with all kinds of far-fetched scenarios that might conspire to create a creature like Fode & Bede; but it wasn't even a particularly funny, clever, or even well-written part of the movie, so why even waste the time explaining away a crappy design?

djsosharp
09-28-2009, 10:18 PM
Picked up another Wedge/Borsk pack today and more importantly, Luke+Deena in black! Unfortunately that was all. TRU is cleaned out, Wal-Mart and Target both have a lot of the old stuff lying around...especially Xizor/Leia packs, and individual Saesee Tiins, heheh.

So I have a suggestion. We all go to local stores and hide the pegwarmers behind something big in one of the pink aisles, like a Poor Lil' Baby Craps-a-lot. If we're lucky, they'll take inventory before finding the figures and go ahead and give us tons of new wave stuff. I call it Operation Hide and 'Bro Seek.

Blue2th
09-28-2009, 10:53 PM
So I have a suggestion. We all go to local stores and hide the pegwarmers behind something big in one of the pink aisles, like a Poor Lil' Baby Craps-a-lot. If we're lucky, they'll take inventory before finding the figures and go ahead and give us tons of new wave stuff. I call it Operation Hide and 'Bro Seek.

Sounds like a good idea.
By the time they find them, they'll be in high demand, almost vintage. :thumbsup: lol

bigbarada
09-28-2009, 11:01 PM

Or, if you have the money, you can buy them all up, keep your receipt and then return them as soon as they restock the shelves with new figures. :D

Tycho
09-29-2009, 04:57 AM

It's a bad idea. These corporations don't trust that they hired anyone with intelligence who could do the ordering. It is triggered by computer, which gets excited by sales.

I suggest BUYING the pegwarming stuff you don't want - YOU HAVE A 90 DAY RETURN PRIVILEDGE - wait a week or 2 if you can - until they start getting new stuff in (it takes time to ship it) - and then RETURN all the stuff you don't want and none of us could really afford anyway.

[EDIT] Whoops. I just echoed BigBarada inadvertently.

djsosharp
09-29-2009, 11:09 AM
Well I obviously wasn't serious. But as far as your idea (which sounds perfectly valid albeit a chore) - do you do this yourself? If so, has it worked well?

Tycho
09-29-2009, 11:40 AM
I've never done this before, but another collector who shows up at my local Target did, and it did work. He was really nice and asked me if I had all the stuff I wanted from new shipments first, before he returned his pile of stuff. I think it was Saga Legends / Legacy figures that he'd cleared out. It was last year. "Suddenly" Yarna was out of stock. Then suddenly our Target got an "exclusive shipment" of just Yarnas ;)

djsosharp
09-29-2009, 11:48 AM
Nice, I might start doing that if I ever sell off some of my other stuff and have any decent funds to blow (even temporarily) on that kind of thing. I actually like the Yarnas, heheh. The actual character was revolting to look at but the figure is one of my favorites of the "absurd" variety.

dindae
09-29-2009, 05:35 PM
The problem with that solution is it is a one time fix. They order more cause and hopefully you get what you want but then you make your returns and they have the same problem as before. Now you could be cruel and buy all the crap and then drive to a store you don't frequent and dump the stuff there. This is really an ******* move but it would work.

pbarnard
09-29-2009, 05:49 PM
Well, until the prequels, most of the aliens that showed up in the Star Wars films had enough grounding in reality to be believable and looked like something that could exist on Earth. Most of this was due to the fact that the aliens had to actually be built in the real world as costumes or puppets.

With the advent of CG animation, filmmakers are no longer constricted to the laws of physics so they can create whatever they can imagine. Which is good and bad. Good, when they can make an alien look realistic and convincing, bad when they create something like Fode & Bede which could never exist in Nature or Creation (depending on your worldview).

I know we could come up with all kinds of far-fetched scenarios that might conspire to create a creature like Fode & Bede; but it wasn't even a particularly funny, clever, or even well-written part of the movie, so why even waste the time explaining away a crappy design?

Not quite. While some aren't realistic like Fode & Beed, there are some that are still plausible and evolved from invertebrates. Only 3 prominent alien speices have been non-vertbrates in the OT: Hutts, Mon Cals, and Quarren. Also, outside of Ewoks, Jawas and Ugnaughts, there weren't many things shown below 3 feet tall either.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-29-2009, 07:25 PM
I'm just sayin', two heads is silly and wrong. It doesn't bother me that there's a thing with two heads in Jabba's palace, since there was no biologist on staff to check all the designs. What were they paying her for?
Do you mean Terryl Whitlatch (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Terryl_Whitlatch)? According to that page, she's not quite a biologist, but she has studied animal anatomy and such. It looks like she designed more of the beasts, in addition to at least some of the characters, but I'm not sure on her involvement, for the record. And I dunno, there have been two-headed people and animals before, even though they're extremely rare, but I can't imagine an entire species of two-headed creatures. It's just supposed to be a spin on having two different sports commentators, not an accurate representation of what could be.

Exactly. It's supposed to be a goofy, funny character (he's not side-splitting, but whatever). There are other things to worry about.

and then, well, su culo esta en fuego. ;)
Just don't be so loud about it! :D