PDA

View Full Version : I Just Don't Understand!

Jek Porky 2002
02-19-2002, 01:24 PM
After looking at the Toy Fair pictures, I have come to the conclusion that the worst Episode II figure is the second Obi-Wan, the only thing that makes it worse is that pathetic unrealistic fabric cloak, and you guys seamed to all love it! I mean we're in the 00's now, not the 70's, plastic and fabric don't mix, I learned that from the Episode I Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan and Maul figures, it just looks silly and very old fashioned. The figure and accesories look good, but the cloak looks far to big and doesn't have the right texture and folding effects that come from plastic, GIVE ME CHOCOLATE OBI-WAN ANY DAY!

The main thing that makes me angry is that you guys actually seem to like this hidious monstrostity.

LTBasker
02-19-2002, 01:46 PM
Ah, but what is inside the cloak does matter... Don't like the cloak? Take it off, I'm sure it's a neutral posed Obi-Wan under there with better articulation and so it's gotta be much better than the initial launch AOTC Obi-Wan. It's not about the cloak, it's about the figure itself.

DARTH DUBIOUS
02-19-2002, 02:08 PM
Hmmmm, but surely as Jek pointed out, the sculpts are supposed to be superior. I agree that the cloak is pretty pointless in that it has no definition and will invariably be too big. No doubt there will be a resculpt some time this or next year with a plastic cloak. Geonosis arrival Obi-Wan or some such nonsense. Why not just make the cloaks from a lighter plastic that bends and folds so you can move the figure underneath? All those cloaked figures with articulated limbs are pretty redundant when you can't move the limbs for a thick layer of immobile plastic robe. A thinner rubberised plastic cloak/robe would allow the limbs underneath to move and negate the need for cumbersome cloth hideousness.

That said, from the pictures, it doesn't look to me that this Obi is very well articulated. he seems to have quite a wide stance even for a neutral pose. Perhaps Hasbro were hiding a crap figure with yards of soft goods at the TOYFAIR? Why else is there no picture of this Obi unrobed?

Beast
02-19-2002, 03:06 PM
That Obi-Wan has a cloth cloak so that the figure can be used in the Jedi Starfighter. As you'll notice by the headset he's the Pilot version of that charecter. There is no way to make a figure sit in a vehicle with a plastic cloak. So, they gave us a cloth version and a basic non-action posed stance so that he can fit in the Jedi Starfighter easily. Cloth cloaks and capes are necissary on some figures, and when done well look good. If the cloak was plastic, like the POTJ Obi-Wan, it wouldn't be able to be worn in the Starfighter. Remember, what was shown at Toy Fair was a prototype, I am sure the finished cloak will be made of much less material and better sewn.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mark2d2
02-19-2002, 03:23 PM
I enjoy the occaisional cloth cape from time to time. And by all means, we do need a pilot Obiwan that can fit in the ships.

Again, if you don't like --- don't buy it.

DARTH DUBIOUS
02-19-2002, 03:45 PM
*taking a baseball bat and smashing that half full glass...*

If the figure had a rubberised plastic robe it could still fit the vehicle. Anakin that cam with the podracer had a rubberised lower tunic so he could fit the cockpit. if they used the same stuff they could make a robe that would bend so you could get Obi into the fighter no problem. The crux is that they make the robes so thick you can't do anything with them. The cloth robes are always badly sewn and far too big and the fabric is that wooly stuff that all the cloth capes are made of like Qui-Gon with Eopie or the Tatooine moisture farmer disguise Qui-Gon. It's not going to get any smaller because you can't sew that small on a factory level. Them Chinese workers may have small hands but they can't perform miracles! No, that robe will be just as big and stupid looking.Sure i appreciate as I think everyone does that this is the pilot Obi we're talking about. I think that's just stating the obvious. But the discussion is why does it have a bulky robe when it could be so much better. What about all the people who will want a pilot Obi even if they don't buy the fighter? They have to endure not being able to see the figure for yards of fabric do they and you say they shoulfd suffer or shut up? As long as you're happy everything is hunky dory, is that how it goes?
I'd rather examine why something doesn't seem right and try to ensure that things get better for collectors than just get all smily and happy because there's a new toy out. If the toy isn't good I think it's our duty to let hasbro know what we think so they can make it better. True they don't always listen but they do take notes. They've listened to complaints before and made changes to figures before they hit the streets. They listened to moans about their website and made changes to improve things. Not brilliant changes but it goes some way toward a rewarding visit. hasbro do listen and if we don't talk about the things we don't like then nothing changes. Fine, you go ahead and buy it all if you like. You're welcome to it. Us who really care are going to keep talking and moaning because we want to make sure that hasbro hears us.
As this is a forum for discussion I think it should be a discussion not something dominated by your singular 'input'. Maybe you're going to go and cry foul about this post like you did my other, I don't really care to be honest. I'm trying my best to be level headed here and as pleasant as I can be. I don't want to see the forums turn into a b*tching match. I just think you overstate the crumbs of information we all already have access to at a million websites across the net. But hey, that's just an honest opinion. Wouldn't want to go scaring the horses away with honesty now would we? :rolleyes:

Back to Obi. The one good thing I can see is that he does come with a neat accessory in that mobile holo projector. Is that a trigger he's holding, and is it molded onto his hand or seperate so you can use it with other figures? hard to tell from the out of focus pictures everyone had. Someone's probably answered that one already but it can't hurt to ask again. Someone must have a disrobed picture somewhere. I'll need to see it properly to form an accurate opinion of the figure underneath but as I said, the robe is a stinker for sure.

Beast
02-19-2002, 04:06 PM
Rubberized plastic for a whole cloak wouldn't work well, especially in the arms. Attempting to move the arms would tear the rubber. So, doing the whole cloak in soft rubber would remove the arm articulation that cloth still allows. So to keep the arm articulation, they would do the arms as if the cloak was always on, like the Naboo Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon from E1.

Plus rubberized cloaks look horrible for detailed cloth patterns. I would rather have a nice removable cloth cloak, so if I wanna display Obi-Wan without his cloak on, I can. If not you are stuck with a figure thats only good as a cloaked version of the charecter.

The transmitter is a cool accessory, I agree. The controller/comlink in his hand is seperatly molded, but is figure specific just like the transmitter unit he comes with. So far there are no unrobed pictures of the figure yet, usually toy fair workers don't allow people to undress the figures to take pictures. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

DARTH DUBIOUS
02-19-2002, 04:54 PM
hello? if they canmake clip on body plates for threepio they can make a rubberised cloak for Obi that simply snaps round his arms. you can still have a cloak that comes off and you can still mold it with folds that are sadly missing in a cloth one. the detail in the sculpting of the cloth in the figures is the only impressive thing about them. So I don't think that the sculpting is going to detract from the idea. And haven't you just admitted in as many words that you don't like the figures? If you don't like sculpted plastic costumes then by dint of statement you don't like the AOTC figures :happy: smiling smugly now......

It's good that the transmitter device is sculpted a la episode one commlink accessories although it'll probably be the first thing to get sucked up the hoover if it drops off the shelf :rolleyes: But I guess a little sticky stuff to hold it in place would be the way to go. Is there a place on the starfighter to store this thing - a litle hatch or something? I always lamented the fact that the x-wing never had that opening hatch underneath to store stuff in. That would have been cool. Hope the new Dagobah x-wing has it but I guess the droid slot will take care of the space :( Oh well can't have it all. Someone has to have an un robed pic of this Obi though - somewhere....... C'mon you pirate guys, show us the OBI like you showed us the first piccies :D

LTBasker
02-19-2002, 04:55 PM
Ok everybody, grab your Mace Windu figures, Naboo Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon, Adi Gallia, etc. and try to put them in the Naboo Fighter. Now try to put a figure with soft goods in the Naboo Fighter. So which one works better? Soft goods. :)

The cloth cloak on the Obi-Wan at Toyfair could be re-done and will probably turn out along the lines of a better quality than Darth Maul's that came with the Sith Speeder, which was a nice quality. :D

While the plastic cloaks look ok when they're done right and they're just being displayed, face it, it's better to go with cloth when it comes for multi-poses, especially when it comes to sitting and standing differences. Just like soft goods Obi-Wan is better for vehicles rather than May 3rd Jedi Duel Obi-Wan.

Beast
02-19-2002, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by DARTH DUBIOUS
hello? if they canmake clip on body plates for threepio they can make a rubberised cloak for Obi that simply snaps round his arms. you can still have a cloak that comes off and you can still mold it with folds that are sadly missing in a cloth one. the detail in the sculpting of the cloth in the figures is the only impressive thing about them. So I don't think that the sculpting is going to detract from the idea. And haven't you just admitted in as many words that you don't like the figures? If you don't like sculpted plastic costumes then by dint of statement you don't like the AOTC figures :happy: smiling smugly now......
Clip on body parts don't interfere with the articulation of C-3PO, and it would look pretty silly if that was how they made the cloak. It's a cloak, not attachable cloak panals. :rolleyes: Knowing Hasbro, they will make a plastic cloaked Obi-Wan, later. He may not have the starfighter headset, but he only wears it in the ship anyway. And I admitted that there are certain figures that I don't like as much as others. So, nothing to be smug about. I like sculpted plastic costumes and capes, but I don't like them for figures that are meant for vehicles. And what I really don't like is rubberized cloaks, which is what you were asking for. You seem to want to get me to say I hate the figures, stop baiting the hook DD. :rolleyes: :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

sith_killer_99
02-19-2002, 05:39 PM
Um, I don't really care one way or the other. If I don't like the look of the cloak I will take it off.

Actually, I don't like the full body cloaks (like the one from EP1 Accessory set Tatooine). They just don't look right.

However, I like some of the figs with cloth. EP1 Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan and Darth Maul Soft Goods wave were my favorites!

I also liked Adi Gallia's robe, which was plastic, but had a natural look to it and was completly removable to allow for articulation.

I do not like the "robe is always on" thing like with EP1 Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon Naboo.

I kinda liked the Darth Maul from the Sith ATTACK Speeder (not to be confused with the Sith Speeder). Unfortunatly, the molded head with hood ruined the effect.:rolleyes:

The Darth Maul with Sith Speeder (not to be confused with the Sith ATTACK Speeder) was one of the best Darth Mauls Hasbro ever put out. The cloak that he came with worked well!

:crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

I guess what I'm really trying to say is...

uh, what was the...

oh nevermind.

Jayspawn
02-19-2002, 09:04 PM
I thought the Obi-Wan with cloth robe looked pretty cool. It would certainly make more sence for that figure to sit in the Starfighter cockpit. The neutral pose is a plus.