PDA

View Full Version : I Was In A Car Accident Yesterday

Tycho
11-22-2008, 12:25 PM
I was parked, engine off, at Panda Express in a strip mall lot. I'd pulled into two empty parking spaces and was in the corner one on my right.

I opened my driver's door to step out, and this woman drove right into it and bent it up, knocking the panneling detail clear off.

I'll definitely have to have the whole door replaced.

Yeah, we exchanged insurance information and all that, and I took pictures with my cell phone camera. Hopefully I have all accurate info.

It's just one more thing...

JetsAndHeels
11-22-2008, 12:36 PM
If you had gotten out of the car a split second earlier you would have a whole lot more to worry about. Glad it was just your door she took off.

Glad you are ok.

sith_killer_99
11-22-2008, 04:09 PM
WOW T, you haven't had much good luck lately. I hope you got her plate number, just in case.

bobafrett
11-22-2008, 05:12 PM
I would have gotten out of the car and kicked her in the........wait, nevermind.

Fall out into the parking lot and scream........."whiplash!!!!!!!!!"

Blue2th
11-22-2008, 08:23 PM
Sometimes if the inner structure of the door is not damaged body shops will just put an outer skin on it. Careful, some are real butchers when it comes to bodywork, and cut corners.
If you want a whole new door you probably should ask if they mean to do that, and if yes, make sure they do. You would have to be a master bodyman-painter to get away with fooling an informed consumer.
You can tell if the door has been skinned if you look at the inner seams. They should be exactly like your other good door.

Either way the outside of the door gets painted, it should match in color to the adjoining panels.
Like it never happened, is how the work should look.

TeeEye7
11-22-2008, 10:54 PM
Glad you're OK, Tycho. I'm sorry you have this extra carp to put up with, given all the other stuff on your plate.

My wife was in an accident about three weeks ago. She had a guy suddenly change lanes in front of her with hardly any room and then stop. She smacked into the back of him and was assigned as the one at fault. A 25 mph fender-bender with no airbag deployment. It's a Toyota Sienna van which are made with "crumple zones" in the front. The damage didn't seem to be so bad, but with parts and labor so high, our insurance totaled it instead. The car is 8 years old, but with only 54,000 miles on it. Body, paint, and interior in pristine condition, too. The best part was that it was paid off. The settlement will hardly get us a comparable car, and we don't really want to get a new car (read: car payment), so we're scratching our collective heads as to what to do next. We literally just came back from the Toyota dealership and a 2009 base model Sienna will necessitate a monthly payment of $550. No thanks. No thanks to private party sales for us either. As I said, we're still exploring our options. Ten speeds, anyone?

dr_evazan22
11-22-2008, 11:31 PM
When it rains it pours. I'm glad to hear that YOUR ok, tho.

I was involved in a similar, but opposite accident last week while working (no injuries). Was driving down a one-way residential street, parking on both sides. Car in front of my delivery truck was indicating they were going to parallel park so I was slowing down. All of a sudden I hear a noise. A woman opened her car door and hit my truck, about midway back. I called in to my sup and reported it; the woman said she wanted the cops to come. After waiting 15 - 20 mins she decided she didn't want to wait, she said she didn't feel safe (parked in front of her daughters house). Later on we tried calling her with the number she provided and it wasn't hers.

Tycho
11-23-2008, 12:54 AM
Well, the entire bottom base of my physical door was folded by the impact. So replacing the pannel or outer skin just won't do. This isn't something that can be hammered out.

My "assailant's" insurance company called me today to take my version of the report. It sounds like everything's been reported honestly - or at least I wasn't told of any dispute from my version of the incident. I was asked if I checked before I opened my door. I did. There was no car in the parking space to my left, so I opened my door so that I could exit my vehicle. Then I got hit. I took pictures with my cell phone camera - of the other car's license plate as well as the damage. So yeah, it looks like I'm covered on this one.

Meanwhile, I'm sorry about your predicament TeeEye7. That sucks.

Today I got my truck washed because of the bird that dive-bombed me the other day. After I got my vehicle back, 2 trouble-indicator-lights were lighting on my dashboard and the instrument pannel was making a strange chirping alert sound (sort of like a cricket). I took it into service and they tried disconnecting and reconnecting my battery, but that has now disconnected my fan so that the air conditioning is not working properly. Luckily I had heat tonight as the temperature dropped alongside the ocean. It's becoming winter time after all. Ended up that perhaps my heater wasn't working well enough either that I didn't need my defroster, or I might have been in trouble. I had to drive up to the OC to sit with my grandparents tonight, as my grandma still clings to life for reasons no one in my family can fathom (she's on no life support of any kind and she's still breathing and her heart is still strong. They just give her morphine).

JediTricks
11-23-2008, 03:12 AM
You should rent another car until yours is fixed RIGHT, charge it to insurance. It's getting pretty cold, you need the extra warmth.

So I don't get what you mean when you say you pulled into 2 spaces. Do you mean you pulled into an open space with another open space to the left of it, or you took up 2 spaces?

This is why I *always* check my side mirror just before opening the door, I've seen doors taken off hinges from this crap, and you guys are right, T could have been badly hurt by this one if he had just stepped out a moment earlier. People need to pay more f'ing attention to the world around them once in a while.

Blue2th
11-23-2008, 08:50 AM
Glad you're OK, Tycho. I'm sorry you have this extra carp to put up with, given all the other stuff on your plate.

My wife was in an accident about three weeks ago. She had a guy suddenly change lanes in front of her with hardly any room and then stop. She smacked into the back of him and was assigned as the one at fault. A 25 mph fender-bender with no airbag deployment. It's a Toyota Sienna van which are made with "crumple zones" in the front. The damage didn't seem to be so bad, but with parts and labor so high, our insurance totaled it instead. The car is 8 years old, but with only 54,000 miles on it. Body, paint, and interior in pristine condition, too. The best part was that it was paid off. The settlement will hardly get us a comparable car, and we don't really want to get a new car (read: car payment), so we're scratching our collective heads as to what to do next. We literally just came back from the Toyota dealership and a 2009 base model Sienna will necessitate a monthly payment of $550. No thanks. No thanks to private party sales for us either. As I said, we're still exploring our options. Ten speeds, anyone?
With that low amount of miles, if everything still works, and the subframe isn't bent too bad, the car still drives straight, or is not out of alignment, you could decide to keep it as a total, and drive it.
The value goes down, but it's paid off.
You could perhaps get an estimate for used parts, or get them yourself, though it's the inner structure that is the pain because those parts are welded in after the frame or structure is pulled out, then the outer panels go over that.
Though, I don't know what the laws are concerning driving totals around in your state.

Tycho
11-23-2008, 09:15 AM
So I don't get what you mean when you say you pulled into 2 spaces. Do you mean you pulled into an open space with another open space to the left of it,

Yes. You got it.

TeeEye7
11-23-2008, 10:27 AM
For the record, the record, here's what the damage looked like:

dr_evazan22
11-23-2008, 10:44 AM
People need to pay more f'ing attention to the world around them once in a while.

Amen to that!

Jargo
11-23-2008, 11:35 AM
Women, regardless of who they are or what they do, should be banned from driving. no debate just an outright ban.

sith_killer_99
11-23-2008, 02:46 PM
Women, regardless of who they are or what they do, should be banned from driving. no debate just an outright ban.

My wife is 29 and she has never had a drivers license.;)