PDA

View Full Version : College Student, 19, Kills Himself on Live Web-Cam

Tycho
11-24-2008, 01:57 AM
College Student, 19, Kills Himself on Live Web-Cam

The link to the official news story. (http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20081122/news_1n22suicide.html)

You know, at least he didn't die alone. Possibly 50 people at any given time were keeping him company online, giving him advice about how many pills it would take, or whatever (as well as those telling him not to do it).

Well, my grandma passed away today, only about 9 hours ago. She is at peace now and not suffering. Also not suffering is this 19 year old.

I'm not sure this is altogether a bad thing.

I know a lot about suffering and I've seen a lot of family and even friends my own age die. We are all going to do it.

I myself have a few plans I want to see fulfilled before my own big journey. Hopefully I can publish a book and build a lot of battle dioramas with my Star Wars toys. Maybe I'll find something else that will make a difference to at least somebody else. But dying gets you off the hook. You're no longer responsible for any of these plans.

But we don't know what we'll get in exchange.

In any case, I don't think I would have egged this guy on to kill himself on the live web-cam. But I don't think I would have interfered trying to talk him out of it, either.

Apparently, everyone logged on is going to be traced through their ISPs and possibly prosecuted. So I don't recommend you watch "suicide TV" just for fun unless you call the police yourself or something - then I suppose you can relax and entertain yourself with something like this - so long as you're not encouraging illegal behavior. But I suppose that as long as there were people logged-in and this guy had an audience, it was encouraging him. Though I'm not sure what it would have done to his psyche if everyone logged-off and refused to give him attention. However, a respondent interviewed for the news article suggests that a person who wants to be seen committing suicide would then find a bridge to jump off of.

Rocketboy
11-24-2008, 07:35 AM
What a f*cking retard.

Blue2th
11-24-2008, 08:26 AM
Suicide is the easy way out. In the end the ultimate selfish act.
Who am I to judge though. People are so down in their pit of depression it's hard to see beyond themselves.

We know of people who keep fighting for every breath around here. :thumbsup:

bobafrett
11-24-2008, 05:16 PM
About 14 years ago, my son was moved off to Florida with his mother. They just packed up and left, I had no idea where they moved to. I was so wrought with depression, I wanted to end it, but instead got myself help, got over it, and it worked out in the end for me. I now have my son living with me, and in a much better enviornment. I don't know how or where he would be now, had I followed through and done myself in.

It's rather tragic that people would egg this guy on instead of doing as others did and try to talk him out of ending his life. Situations in my own life sometimes get a little rough, but I now know that it doesn't mean the end of my world. I have others who love me, and it would be a horrible burden to put upon them to do something so foolish as to end my days here on Earth.

LusiferSam
11-24-2008, 08:41 PM
Jeez, some people will do anything for attention. And some people will watch anything for entertainment.

mabudonicus
11-24-2008, 09:13 PM
Honestly, I prefer watching people commit career suicide.

This kind of thing is just wrong on SO many levels. What would the point even BE in trying to understand what would drive a person to do such a thing (on a personal level I mean, on a professional level it's good but any attempt to somehow "empathize" is not healthy)

:beard: Iso&Baws

There's FUN things you can do and post online that you actually make MONEY with, after all

TheCivilCollector
11-24-2008, 10:35 PM
I saw this story a few days ago and was sickened.

Not because of the suicide, but because people actually egged him on and encouraged it. If it was my friend or brother that had done that and I learned some subhuman sat by and laughed, I would be out for blood.

I certainly don't condone suicide. Fact is, there was was time in my life where that felt like a very real answer. I wasn't thinking of anyone else and felt like had no way out and no friends to turn to. I got help, but I can only imagine what it would have been like to be encouraged to go through with it.

If there is one thing about the internet that I hate, it's that people lose any sense of accountability. They say whatever they want and think no one will link A to B. I certainly hope they throw the book at the people in the chat room that sat and laughed. I think it should be accomplice after the fact at the very least. Preferably involuntary manslaughter. Send a message to those tools.

stillakid
11-25-2008, 01:02 AM
Jeez, some people will do anything for attention. And some people will watch anything for entertainment.

I heard about this earlier today and thought that since so many people were willing to watch for so long, he should've set up way to charge to watch and the proceeds could've ironically gone to anti-suicide programs. I mean, if he's going to do it anyway and people are going to watch anyway, somebody ought to make some money from it.