PDA

View Full Version : Tropic Thunder

Tycho
11-24-2008, 10:39 AM
This was good and made me laugh. It's a very stupid movie such as one I'd write just to be weird. Tom Cruise was great as a bald-headed movie producer who raps and thinks "he's the man."

Robert Downey Jr. is really funny and stays in character even on the DVD commentary (he plays a black man).

Jack Black was wasted and I did not like his character.

Ben Stiller was alright as the "heroic lead."

Nick Nolte was fun as "the real Viet Nam veteran" on the set for authenticity.

This is a movie about the making of the movie about the real deal. Only it's more than that.

But Robert Downey steals the show, portraying a white guy who's portraying a black man.

The movie starts with fake previews of the other movies these actors star in and they are hilarious to go back and watch. Tobey McGuire made a guest appearance for the film playing the gay lover of Robert Downey's character in a movie about monks in a monastary. It's pretty believable and surely ripping off Brokeback Mountain, though I never saw that flick.

Overall, this is one to watch if you haven't seen it yet. I'm sure you all like war movies, and this is more than that. Get ready to laugh.

Rocketboy
11-24-2008, 07:35 PM
While I thought Tropic Thunder was funny, I felt it was very overrated (and definitely NOT the best comedy of the year, as many people said).

Robert Downey Jr. is the best reason to see the movie. That could have gone so wrong so easily, but they played up how ridiculous it was just right.

Tom Cruise and Jack Black were the biggest let downs of the movie. JB is usually pretty humorous, but he seemed too restrained. And TC wasn't funny in the slightest. I don't get how people didn't know it was him. When he first appeared on screen I thought "Hey look, its Tom Cruise in bad makeup."

Robert Downey Jr. is really funny...(he plays a black man).Not really...

OC47150
12-06-2008, 07:39 PM
My buddies and I just watched this last night during our regular Guys Movie Night. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. It was wrong in some many ways but great fun.

I didn't know Nick Nolte was in it until the movie started! The perfect actor for the Vietnam vet!

Slicker
12-06-2008, 11:57 PM
I loved this movie and I thought Tom Cruise was the funniest part of it all. I knew he was in it but his character was nothing like what I expected.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-07-2008, 06:32 PM
My buddies and I just watched this last night during our regular Guys Movie Night. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. It was wrong in some many ways but great fun.

I felt dirty laughing at some of the parts, especially because I was with my brother and sister-in-law at the time, who are older than I. But I did chuckle a lot, especially at Downey's character and the demise of the British director who set out to do a realistic portrayal of the movie. A real side splitter.

Tycho
12-08-2008, 03:16 AM
I want action figures!

No - seriously - I'd consider buying things like Robert Downey Jr in "black people's disguise" and Ben Stiller in dead panda camaouflage.

Think of how funny that stuff would be. And Tom Cruise's character? lol