PDA

View Full Version : Super Vulture Droid

Battle Droid
11-24-2008, 05:44 PM
This is no doubt the Hyena Droid Bomber.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=HAS16474&mode=retail

Battle Droid
11-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Entertainment Earth has it listed now,

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HS87968

Star Wars Clone Wars Super Vulture Droid Vehicle Description:

* As seen in The Clone Wars!
* Seating for figures!
* Amazing fun!

War wages across the galaxy, so you're going to need a good ride to keep you safe! The Separatist Army developed the Super Vulture Droid for General Grievous' elite droid army to travel through space! Specially designed for your animated Clone Wars figures, this amazing vehicle is going to open up new avenues in the world of genetic engineering versus cybernetics. Figure not included.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-25-2008, 05:58 PM
Strange, but interesting . . . I wonder when it will appear in the show?

BottledWater
11-26-2008, 07:24 PM
sounds cool. I like clone vehicles more though, so i may skip it

JediTricks
11-30-2008, 06:27 AM
Clones need something to shoot at. I think the name Hyena Droid didn't really fit, but this name is a tad too lazy.

DarkArtist
12-01-2008, 03:46 PM
sounds interesting, wonder when we might see some pics.

Battle Droid
12-04-2008, 10:19 AM
Hopefully soon, if not then probably Toy Fair.

mtriv73
12-04-2008, 11:33 AM
Hopefully soon, if not then probably Toy Fair.

BBTS says it's coming out in december and EE says feb. (we all know about release dates though:rolleyes:) but hopefully we'll see it before toyfair.

jediguy
12-04-2008, 11:54 AM
so, this isn't the vulture droid that Assaj Ventress jumped on after losing her battle with Obi Wan on the bridge at the Monastery on Teth in the CW movie?

that vulture droid was big enough for a passenger, right?

Battle Droid
12-04-2008, 12:25 PM
I don't think she got in it, just rode on top.

I still think it's the same thing as the Hyena Droid Bomber that Lego's releasing.

Battle Droid
12-12-2008, 07:16 PM
PIC!

It's just a regular Vulture Droid, looks to be a new sculpt though!:D

http://jediinsider.com/index.php?catid=8&itemid=11455

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-12-2008, 07:39 PM
I wonder where the "Super" comes in? Its size, I suppose?

JediTricks
12-12-2008, 10:52 PM
That is seriously whack! Does it transform? Does it do so better than the original Hasbro version? And what's with the missiles on the clips? They appear to go in spring-loaded launchers, but those on the tip aren't them.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-12-2008, 11:15 PM
How big, exactly, are vulture droids supposed to be? Wookieepedia says they're 3.5 meters long . . . so does that mean the 1999 version is too small, or what? I always thought that the buzz droids were too big to believably deploy from the vulture droid's missiles, but perhaps the Hasbro vulture droid was too small and the buzz droid too big. I don't know. I'm really curious to know the size of this new one.

JediTricks
12-13-2008, 12:50 AM
3.5m is 11 feet tall, the Ep 1 version is about twice the height of a basic figure, so that seems right on target. You are absolutely right that the buzz droids are too big to be spit out from those missiles, that was some heinous CGI fudging they did there to make that happen.

If this thing fits a $20 pricepoint, it's about as big as the V-wing, so it's at least twice as big as it should be. If it transforms properly (it does look like there's something going on at the hips, and it does split at the wings), then I'll probably forgive if begrudgingly.

I just grabbed the Ep 1 non-transforming one, it's on target for the 3.5m size, but my claim of the $20 super having to be twice as big is way off, more like 4 times as big.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-26-2008, 06:53 PM
Today at Target I was scanning the Clone Wars visual guide and saw a picture of Anakin and Ahsoka fighting the vulture droid from the deleted scene on the DVD. This thing was far bigger than 11 feet; Anakin was standing next to it and was about a third or a fourth of its size. I guess they just made them bigger on the show and Hasbro is reflecting that.

JediTricks
12-28-2008, 06:25 PM
I haven't seen the CW movie, so I can't really judge that. If that's the case though, 4 times taller than Anakin, that's right on target for Hasbro's new vehicle.

The buzz droids are still ridiculously out of scale though. :p

Scackmgackm
01-07-2009, 10:36 AM
I am confused by the size listings for droid starfighters (vulture droids).

In Episode I, you see droid starfighters in ground mode in the hangar in one of the first scenes, walking around with some battle droids.

Call a battle droid an average humanoid at 2 meters. Those droid starfighters looked like they towered over those battle droids, like three times as tall as they were.

So wouldn't that make a standing vulture droid about 6 meters tall, which is about 20 feet?

Does someone have a link to a still of that scene I'm referring to? Maybe I'm wrong, but this is how I remember that scene...

The existing vulture droid toys have never seemed right to me. Hold one up next to a V-Wing and the size differential looks really off...Wookiepedia has a V-wing at 7.9 meters long, twice that of the vulture droid, but the vulture droid toy is smaller than that.

Now, if the upcoming "super vulture droid" is the same size as a V-Wing then that would be wrong, too, I guess...

Per the buzz droid torpedoes, I always read it as the vulture droid we see launching them in Ep. III is specially-fitted with those torpedoes, i.e. they aren't standard-issue such that the missiles we're seeing on the "super vulture droid" aren't meant to be buzz-droid warheads.

I've been waiting for a proper-scale vulture droid, and this looks like the genuine article. It'll be about the size of a V-Wing or V-19 Torrent, but smaller than an ARC-170, which sounds right.

Bar
01-07-2009, 11:56 AM
Yeah, it seems none of you guys remember Episode I very well(That's okay, i tried to blank it from my memory too for the most part...).
The Vultures were GIGANTIC...
EASILY four times the height of a Battle Droid (http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Misc%20junk/VultureDroids.jpg).
This screen cap i just too doesn't do it justice(If i get a moment later, i will rip the video segment and post it on youtube, so the dynamic motrion can be seen), but IF, and i MEAN IF, the new one is even CLOSE to this size, i will be very happy.
To be totally honest, i think this new will STILL BE TOO SMALL!!!
:razz:
Bar.

JediTricks
01-09-2009, 06:04 PM
That shot's scaling is kinda wonky, the droids in the foreground shouldn't be the same focus as the Vulture Droid standing right behind it, the shadowing of the BD in the background shouldn't be so minimalist if it's next to any of those VDs. I blame CGI.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-10-2009, 01:33 AM
That shot's scaling is kinda wonky, the droids in the foreground shouldn't be the same focus as the Vulture Droid standing right behind it, the shadowing of the BD in the background shouldn't be so minimalist if it's next to any of those VDs. I blame CGI.
Indeed . . . the ones in the background look significantly smaller - maybe due to perspective issues. I somehow never realized they were that tall, though. I must have just been comparing them to the foreground battle droids.

Bar
01-10-2009, 09:54 AM
When you see it full motion, it's easier to get the size of them.
I ripped the small scene, but because of the clarity drop on Youtube, i also uploaded the AVI file to Rapidshare (http://rapidshare.com/files/181750938/SWEP1_Vultures_and_Battle_Droids.avi)(If clicking the link gives you a page of gibberish, copy and paste the link back into your browser bar). It's far better than viewing it on YouTube, and you can see more.
I took the liberty of making the scene on a five times loop for clarity. You will notice that a couple of the Vultures can be seen to be fairly close to Battle Droids, giving a semi-accurate gauge of the scale. And you will also notice that at the end, as the Radiant is landing, a Vulture approaching from the left of screen.
I think you guys see what i mean when i say that if the new toy IS in scale with figures, it will be MASSIVE... And if it has transformable articulation!!!! I don't know about you, but i will be very happy!!!
It's not as big as the TRU Vulture store display i have in my possession, but closer to the scales i normally work in...
Bar.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-20-2009, 07:08 PM
The video is not working anymore, but at any rate, I got this today and I love it. I'd say its about twice the size of the original one, or bigger. It really looks great, transforms well, has a pop-up head, and shoots two missiles (those on the wings just clip on there). There's no real weathering but the paint is done in a way to look like the ship is a little battle-worn, so it works well enough. I can't wait to get the TPM version, whenever they decide to go with that.

Bar
05-21-2009, 05:56 AM
Got any pics?
Bar.

Blue2th
05-21-2009, 07:22 AM
Can't wait to get my hands on one.
Looks like they're hitting the mountain states. Going to have go a hunting.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-21-2009, 02:16 PM
Got any pics?
Bar.
I took some per your request. The first two are comparisons between the new one and the 1999 transforming one. (I guess it's not quite twice as big, but almost.) Then you can see it next to a realistic Legends battle droid and the animated Anakin and Ahsoka for scale. Then it's a flight mode comparison between this and the ROTS version, and then Ventress gets away! :D

Bar
05-21-2009, 02:33 PM
Very nice!
Thanks for those!
So, how long is it in flying cnfiguration? About 14 inches?
Bar.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-21-2009, 02:45 PM
It's actually almost exactly 12".

I should also probably mention that setting it up in walking mode can take a bit of work. It looks great once you get it how you want, but the several joints in the wings mean that it can easily come out of alignment or fall over when you're setting it up. When you get it in a good pose, though, it stands up fine. Also, you can move the head from side to side when it's popped up (like in ROTS), but it's pretty stiff and I'm worried I might break it if I do it too much more. Otherwise, it's a pretty great item.

Bar
05-21-2009, 03:18 PM
Great.
Thanks for the info and the pics!
Bar.

JediTricks
05-21-2009, 08:55 PM
Cool shots. Can the head swing further forward? In the movie, the head is over the front half of the body, this is the middle.

I'm a little annoyed that the wings can't close fully like they did in Ep 1.

Yak put up some of their own pics, but they didn't rotate the body for walker mode: http://www.yakface.com/TGuide2004/html/TCW/vehicles/vulture_droid.html

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-24-2009, 02:19 PM
Yep, the head can go forward more. I didn't think to try it until I saw the vulture droid's picture in the Complete SW Encyclopedia, then I tried it and it worked. When you push the button to pop up the head, it goes into the configuration seen in my pictures, but you can move it forward manually; it kind of snaps into place, so it's not a huge range of poses, but it more or less does what's seen in the films so I'm fine with it.

JediTricks
05-24-2009, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the info. Think you could take another pic with the head all the way forward?

Part of me wants to grab it, part of me feels like it's not complete enough what with the wings not sliding closed.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-24-2009, 07:59 PM
Sure, I grabbed two more shots: one with the head almost all the way forward, and then one completely forward.

Where are the wings closed in the film? I thought they were like how they are on this version.

DarkArtist
05-24-2009, 08:19 PM
Picked this up yesterday.... gotta say loving it. great ship might have to get another 4 or 5 for a little squad to go with the battle droids

JetsAndHeels
05-25-2009, 10:08 AM
Thanks for posting the pics, JJL. I really like the look of this, and I hope to find it at retail soon.

Darth Jax
05-25-2009, 10:33 AM
seeing the pics makes me want to pick one up

Mvader91
05-25-2009, 02:39 PM
:thumbsup:[quote=Darth Jax;680024]seeing the pics makes me want to pick one up:thumbsup:Picked this up at Walmart Fishers. They price matched target's 19.99. Awesome vehicle, great job Hasbro!

JediTricks
05-27-2009, 04:57 PM
Sure, I grabbed two more shots: one with the head almost all the way forward, and then one completely forward.

Where are the wings closed in the film? I thought they were like how they are on this version.Thanks for the shots.

In Ep 1, the wings are seen to slide completely closed so that they hide the lasers and other greebles in the very middle. The Action Fleet and Titanium Series both represent this.

I ended up picking up the vehicle at Target for $20. IMO, it's not quite delivering on the pricepoint, but close. Lightweight, good sculpting, fully transforms (almost, as I previously mentioned, the wings don't slide down to create an oval shape a la Ep 1). Decent paint but no wear, no red engines. Wings/legs don't want to stay in place in either mode too well, and no stand so it wobbles a lot in flier mode, spreads out in walker mode. Head springs up and looks around, very nifty, and can click forward for full walker pose. Missiles are well-concealed and nicely sculpted for once. If the wings fully closed like in Ep 1, and the joints were tighter, and there was wear paint, it'd be a good deal, but as is it's only ok.

The head spring is a funny thing, it springs to the flight-height properly so the head is still parallel to the body, and you have to manually click both sides of the neck forward 1 click to get the walker-mode pose, but if you hit the spring button with the ship facing down instead of horizontal, it springs into that lower position on the neck joint but not the head joint, smacking the head into your fingers. :p

JetsAndHeels
05-30-2009, 01:32 AM
Well I spotted one of these at Walmart earlier this evening, but it looked like someone used the box as a punching bag...the box was torn to bits, crushed on one end, and looked like it had been opened. I asked an associate if there were anymore in the back, but they said no. The toy itself may have been ok inside, but I just don't feel comfortable buying a product that someone has completely assaulted.

JediTricks
06-16-2009, 06:33 PM
Well I spotted one of these at Walmart earlier this evening, but it looked like someone used the box as a punching bag...the box was torn to bits, crushed on one end, and looked like it had been opened. I asked an associate if there were anymore in the back, but they said no. The toy itself may have been ok inside, but I just don't feel comfortable buying a product that someone has completely assaulted.
That's funny, the first day I saw these in person, I bought one at Target and then hit WM, the WM had one and someone had ripped the inner tray out of the box to inspect it, left it sitting twist-tied to the tray on the shelf.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-02-2010, 05:46 PM
On a related note, here (http://www.jedidefender.com/newspro/fullnews.cgi?newsid1267564434,31866,) are prototype shots of the Hyena Bomber. Looks pretty cool.

JediTricks
03-02-2010, 05:57 PM
Interesting find. It kinda looks like it's going to be a little smaller scale than the Super Vulture Droider.

DarkJedi5
03-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Should look pretty good once it's all painted up but has this appeared in more than one episode of the show? I guess we'll be seeing more of them at some point.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-02-2010, 06:53 PM
Should look pretty good once it's all painted up but has this appeared in more than one episode of the show? I guess we'll be seeing more of them at some point.
So far, it's only been in Liberty on Ryloth, when they firebombed the cities and later got destroyed by Anakin and Ahsoka.

JediTricks
03-07-2010, 07:20 PM
The funny thing is that LEGO made a pretty big toy of it in '08, so my guess is they keep planning to use it and it keeps getting cut. Same with the Republic Fighter Tank.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-08-2010, 02:36 AM
The funny thing is that LEGO made a pretty big toy of it in '08, so my guess is they keep planning to use it and it keeps getting cut. Same with the Republic Fighter Tank.
Are you talking about Lucasfilm, and not Hasbro? I don't think they ever planned to use the Republic Fighter Tank in the show. I remember hearing or reading somewhere that Hasbro just plucked it from the EU and decided to sell it in the Clone Wars line as it fit the timeline and play pattern.

JediTricks
03-08-2010, 04:53 AM
You hear wrong, Lego also produced a Republic Fighter Tank already under the Clone Wars banner. I am pretty sure it's Lucasfilm planning to use those vehicles and then pulling back. We could ask Hasbro about it, I guess.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-08-2010, 09:49 PM
Well, Lego has also been known to make EU stuff. I believe it was at the 2009 Toy Fair or Comic Con where they said they took it from the EU and put it in the TCW line. It could show up in the animation, but I don't think it's a direct tie-in. Who knows. I don't feel like asking them since if it's planned to show up in the show, then we'll just see it eventually and not have to waste one of our questions.