PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who doesn't give a rat's behind about Black Friday?

JEDIpartner
11-27-2008, 10:59 AM
I just never have and I don't think I ever will. The whole sordid thing annoys the poo outta me.

I can't tolerate the crowds or the stupidity that suddenly strikes usually smart people who are on the hunt for bargains. :tired:

Old Fossil
11-27-2008, 11:03 AM
I'm just gonna try and stay out of the way.

figrin bran
11-27-2008, 11:37 AM
I'm not usually smart. Hence, I'm heading out tomorrow.

JetsAndHeels
11-27-2008, 11:39 AM
I'm not usually smart. Hence, I'm heading out tomorrow.

I am going to be brave and go out also. 3am at Best Buy to lineup. I am going with a buddy who wants one of their laptop specials with the printer.
As for me, I am looking to snag a wireless router and some dvd's.

I don't usually go out like this on Black Friday, as I despise the public.
Hopefully I will not completely regret this.

JEDIpartner
11-27-2008, 11:50 AM
I don't usually go out like this on Black Friday, as I despise the public.

Why don't we have a "high five" smiley???!!!

Jedi_Kal-El
11-27-2008, 11:58 AM
I particiapted in Black Friday once, and didn't find anything that was suppose to be out. That and the crowds and long lines have kept me from wanting to do it again.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-27-2008, 12:34 PM
I always have to work on that Friday, so I don't have the opportunity to partake in the madness. A couple of recent years I have headed over to Target after work to pick up a couple Star Wars exclusives - the Imperial Shuttle and the Hoth & Endor Ultra Battle Packs. I'm not certain about last year, but the year the shuttle came out, there was some snow and ice on the ground, so I would have preferred to have just gone straight home rather than drive to the other side of town and back in that weather.

I don't see anything wrong with going out and trying to find some good deals. I prefer to avoid the crowds myself, though. Having these limited time big bargain sales just invites craziness.

LusiferSam
11-27-2008, 12:50 PM
I just never have and I don't think I ever will. The whole sordid thing annoys the poo outta me.

I can't tolerate the crowds or the stupidity that suddenly strikes usually smart people who are on the hunt for bargains. :tired:

I couldn't have said it better. Maybe more offensively, but not better.

The idea as a whole turns me off. I already know what I'm going to my family and saving a few bucks isn't going to make up for the frustrations of Black Friday.

Ji'dai
11-27-2008, 01:44 PM
It's not worth the aggravation fighting the crowds and waiting in those long lines just to buy a few figures or a LEGO set, but I still go from time to time. I haven't decided whether I'm going out this year.

After looking through the ads today, only one deal really stood out for me - the Family Guy Blue Harvest box set for $10 at FYE. That's tempting. And the mall is practically deserted on Black Friday morning, so I won't have to worry about crowds and lines there.

Kidhuman
11-27-2008, 03:41 PM
I love Black Friday shopping. I dont go for the electronis and stuff. I usually go more for clothes for the kids and stuff for them. Living in a small town is nothing , when I used to do retail in NYC, it was crazy.

JetsAndHeels
11-27-2008, 06:50 PM

Not sure, but I am glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Like I have always said, I would not mind the public if it weren't for the people.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-27-2008, 06:51 PM
I think my sisters and mom are going to various stores to buy some more birthday presents for me tomorrow, but the Black Friday thing is just an unfortunate coincidence. I don't know why they just don't wait a day or two.

I might go to a Target or Wal-Mart to see their DVDs. But if I don't, I won't lose any sleep or anything.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-27-2008, 07:28 PM
I don't know why they just don't wait a day or two.There are a lot of deals that are only good for that day, or less than a day. If times are as tough as everyone is saying it is, then it would behoove you to save money wherever you can. Of course, you can save more by staying home and not buying anything. If it is something you are going to be buying anyway, then it's a good opportunity to get some good deals.

TeeEye7
11-27-2008, 07:38 PM

Sign me up for that, too, JP. I deal with enough knuckleheads in my usual course of work (we'll see what tonight brings when I go into work). I don't need to go out and experience them on purpose, or at least not getting paid for it. I'll leave Black Friday to others.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-27-2008, 09:05 PM
There are a lot of deals that are only good for that day, or less than a day. If times are as tough as everyone is saying it is, then it would behoove you to save money wherever you can. Of course, you can save more by staying home and not buying anything. If it is something you are going to be buying anyway, then it's a good opportunity to get some good deals.
Nothing I'm asking for is going on sale, though. I know they're going to Best Buy to get The Clone Wars, but I don't even know if it's still available in the tin there. Without taking this into the Pit, I will say that we're not hurting in this economy, but that doesn't mean that others aren't.

jediguy
11-27-2008, 10:18 PM
my shopping for the holidays is done

all everyone gets from is some gift cards to where they like to shop or eat
all I want is gift cards to where I shop or eat

makes wrapping and sending gifts really really easy

no hassles at all

whew!!

bobafrett
11-27-2008, 11:26 PM
I have worked 4 of the last 5 black Fridays, including tomorrow. I never have money, at least not enough to make it worth my while to get my arse out of bed if I wasn't or didn't have to work.

My Wal-Mart is opening the doors at midnight, but the customers still have to wait in a line by the "special" item they want to purchase. I believe they are doing this to avoid the crush of customers that happens at 5 a.m., they are trying to get the customers who want the items in line, then say we have 50 T.V.'s, after the 50th person is in line, they will have a cut off point, then no one else will be allowed in line. Around 4:30 in the morning, they will hand out tickets to those 50 people. I still think they are due for some heavy traffic at the doors at midnight, and a lot of complaints for having to wait in line for 5 hours for one stinking item.

sith_killer_99
11-27-2008, 11:26 PM
One word...

amazon.com

I love black friday bargains, but I refuse to deal with the people!:yes:

Phantom-like Menace
11-28-2008, 12:50 AM
I despise people with intensity. If they could keep it to themselves, it would be one thing, but they can't.

So I've only gone out one time for Black Friday, and that was because of a buy one, get one free for Star Wars. I entered the store much as someone might enter very cold water, taking the plunge before I chickened out. I went straight back to the Star Wars figures, found exactly three figures in the whole aisle, grabbed two of them (just so happened I didn't have either of them, and I wanted one of them), paid for them, and got out of there with best speed.

Unfortunately, I work at the mall, and even though it's not a retail establishment, since I work at the food court, it's still going to be busy. So I have to go out into that mess tomorrow. In fact, I'm working tonight at my primary job and was up all day today for Thanksgiving, and I'm going straight to my day job after this. I'm going to be in a positively glorious mood.

JetsAndHeels
11-28-2008, 07:58 AM
Well, I survived my first Black Friday!!

Got to Best Buy just before 5am. The line was pretty long, but once the managers opened the store we got in pretty quick. I purchased some movies, season sets, a video game, and a new wireless router. The entire process went very smoothly.

Target, on the other hand, was a complete madhouse!! It was nearly impossible to walk in there, especially near the toys and electronics. I saw a couple of dvd's on sale that I wanted, but there was no way I was going to sit in a line for at least 30 minutes just to buy them. I got the hell out!!

Good thing I did, as we were leaving there was a bump-up right where we had been parked!!

CaptainSolo1138
11-28-2008, 10:24 AM
One word...

amazon.comWord. We've been done for almost a month.

After having to "participate" on Black Friday when I worked at Target I can assure you that I will sleep in on the Friday after Thanksgiving for the rest of my life.

TeeEye7
11-28-2008, 11:32 AM
Yea! It's Black Friday and I just got home from work! Time to go to bed. I'll leave Black Friday to those whom it matters. Nighty nite! :zzz:

Jargo
11-28-2008, 11:56 AM
we don't have it here. HURRAH!!!

Bel-Cam Jos
11-28-2008, 12:32 PM
I went one year, long ago (I seem to recall POTF2 figures around). No super-duper deals worth waking up that early for me. I'll get a few things over the next few afternoons and weekends.

JetsAndHeels
11-28-2008, 02:46 PM
Wow, what a terrible story.

Worker dies at Long Island Wal-Mart (http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2008/11/28/2008-11-28_worker_dies_at_long_island_walmart_after.html)

Old Fossil
11-28-2008, 03:33 PM
What a sad commentary on our society in general.:(

JetsAndHeels
11-28-2008, 03:41 PM

Why do I have the feeling that this man's family will get nothing, and Wal-Mart will not change one damn thing?

Plus there was a pregnant lady who got trampled on and lost her child.
Add another reason to my list of why I hate people in general. F*&$ing unreal.

Kidhuman
11-28-2008, 04:39 PM
I used to work in that building 12 years ago when it was Caldors. Its sad that people are freakin animals. A mans life isnt worth the 50 dollars they saved on that HDTV. Jackasses.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-28-2008, 05:03 PM
I saw another report that stated that the man had a heart attack and then fell to the ground. Just a bad combination of events. As for the pregnant woman, I haven't seen anything stating she lost the baby. In fact, I read that the police stated those reports of a miscarriage were "unfounded." I still have friends who work at WM (where I worked for the last several years, including 2006 black friday) and she mentioned that there was a fist fight for the last 360 bundle they had. Assinine.

On the upside and as for myself, I got the X-box 360 bundle combo at Best Buy's website. I was debating going yesterday and randomly decided to check their website and it was up, so I purchased it, avoiding the lines, the hassle and getting up at 3 a.m. Score! :thumbsup:

my bro and I did out this morning about 10 a.m. for kicks and find some random stuff here and there. Target had their 3.98 and other various DVD displays right smack dab in the main aisle by the register and it was a HUGE pain in the arse to get through cos of the mob. The person who decided that was the best location for those displays needs a swift kick to the chin.

Besides that, it was good to see LOTS of people out shopping. Gotta help the economy! But as always, be smart with your $$! :thumbsup:

JetsAndHeels
11-28-2008, 05:10 PM
Yet another horror story from today. Two people killed at a TRU in California. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27957714)

JetsAndHeels
11-28-2008, 05:18 PM
As for the pregnant woman, I haven't seen anything stating she lost the baby. In fact, I read that the police stated those reports of a miscarriage were "unfounded."

The story has been updated since. This is what it said initially:

Jessica Keyes was among the shoppers. She told the Daily News she saw a woman knocked down just a few feet from the dying worker.

"When the paramedics came, she said 'I'm pregnant,'" Keyes said.

Paramedics treated the woman inside the store and then, according to Keys, told the woman:

"There's nothing we can do. The baby is gone."

Jargo
11-28-2008, 06:03 PM
hell is other people.

TeeEye7
11-28-2008, 07:25 PM
Yet another horror story from today. Two people killed at a TRU in California. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27957714)

We had a gang shoot-out at our local mall about two years ago. The bangers don't care who's in the way. These "people" are nothing less than domestic terrorists and should be treated as such.

Jargo
11-28-2008, 09:25 PM
I hope Chuck Heston is happy now.

bobafrett
11-28-2008, 10:01 PM
We had twoladies get into a fight over the last "grip stix" we had in the toy department. Overall though most folks were pretty friendly at my store, at least the ones I
talked to.

sith_killer_99
11-28-2008, 10:48 PM
I hope Chuck Heston is happy now.

Sure, blame the guy who lobbied for law abiding citizens. That's tantamount to blaming the gun for the killing.

Guns don't kill people, criminals who obtain guns illegally, load them, point them at people, and then pull the trigger kill people.

Support project exile!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Exile

Jargo
11-28-2008, 11:58 PM
words fail me.

Old Fossil
11-29-2008, 01:37 AM
If we could just get guns out of the hands of criminals, then only decent, law-abiding citizens could kill each other.

Blue2th
11-29-2008, 05:05 AM
BLACK FRIDAY Steely Dan

When Black Friday comes
I'll stand down by the door
And catch the grey men when they
Dive from the fourteenth floor
When Black Friday comes
I'll collect everything I'm owed
And before my friends find out
I'll be on the road
When Black Friday falls you know it's got to be
Don't let it fall on me
When Black Friday comes
I'll fly down to Muswellbrook
Gonna strike all the big red words
From my little black book
Gonna do just what I please
Gonna wear no socks and shoes
With nothing to do but feed
All the kangaroos
When Black Friday comes I'll be on that hill
You know I will

When Black Friday comes
I'm gonna dig myself a hole
Gonna lay down in it 'til
I satisfy my soul
Gonna let the world pass by me
The Archbishop's gonna sanctify me
And if he don't come across
I'm gonna let it roll
When Black Friday comes
I'm gonna stake my claim
I'll guess I'll change my name

El Chuxter
11-30-2008, 02:27 AM
The baby in the trampling incident is believed to be okay. On a stranger note, the TRU where the shooting happened is one I frequent. I drove by today, and it was open, though there were cops more or less standing guard. It's in a pretty good area, but it's the only TRU in the Coachella Valley, so I guess it attracted a bad element for some sale they were running.

By the way, I've discovered over the past few years that stores are dead at 6PM and later. That's when I go, to take advantage of deals on small stuff for myself. Even the "five hour sales" are usually still on if the stuff is in stock, as price resets require a full shutdown and reboot of the registers at most stores. And if they're out of anything, I figure I didn't need it, anyway.

Phantom-like Menace
11-30-2008, 05:59 AM
When I hear about all these tramplings and general stupidity, all I can think is, "The customer's always right!":thumbsup::rolleyes::cry:

stillakid
11-30-2008, 12:39 PM
I cared so little about "Black Friday" that I ignored this thread. Now that it's over, I can post here without succumbing to the irony.

sith_killer_99
11-30-2008, 02:12 PM
LOL I still maintain that online is the way to go for BF sales!

Mad Slanted Powers
11-30-2008, 02:19 PM
Now I'm getting all sorts of e-mails advertising "Cyber Monday." So you all be careful not to get run over on the information superhighway in your search for bargains. Hopefully the interwebs won't be broken.

TeeEye7
11-30-2008, 10:30 PM
LOL I still maintain that online is the way to go for BF sales!

My son took advantage of some "60% off" items on newegg.com on BF. I think he'd agree with you, SK!

Jargo
12-01-2008, 06:46 PM
it seems like the credit crunch is hitting so hard over here in the UK that every store is having sales on a semi-permanent basis. I've been getting e-mails regarding one day sales and mega deals and bargains so good i can't afford to miss them. it strikes me that if stores just lowered prices in general so they were closer to wholesale they'd sell more in the long term than in these flash sales.

our gub'ment has just announced that they've slashed VAT (value added tax) from 17.5% to 15% in order to try and bolster the economy. it's a short term thing but it's a help. of course it makes no difference really seeing as the energy supply companies have upped their prices by over 50% in the last year. despite the cost of oil dropping very significantly. the other factor no-one is taking into account is that there are fewer shoppers due to the amount of house reposessions that have left people broke/bankrupt and homeless. The huge rise in unemployment and the fact that people have been spending less over the christmas period for the last few years.

I'm seeing fewer and fewer people shoving up tasteless christmas decorations on their house exteriors fewer people wandering around carrying bags of shopping. my local town centre seems pretty dead all week round where before the end of the week saw the place bursting with people. it feels like the late seventies all over again.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-01-2008, 07:35 PM
it seems like the credit crunch is hitting so hard over here in the UK that every store is having sales on a semi-permanent basis. I've been getting e-mails regarding one day sales and mega deals and bargains so good i can't afford to miss them. it strikes me that if stores just lowered prices in general so they were closer to wholesale they'd sell more in the long term than in these flash sales.But that's how they get you to come in. They make you think these are the best prices of the year, and so you rush to take advantage of the deal. Then they'll be on sale the next week.

Jargo
12-01-2008, 11:04 PM
well obviously the british public aren't as dim as the retailers would like them to be then.

JEDIpartner
12-02-2008, 01:18 PM

I know, right??!!!! When the first couple people realised they weren't stepping on "floor", you'd think they would have stopped and pushed back and yelled "Man down!" or something...

El Chuxter
12-02-2008, 02:43 PM
No, because Wal-Mart had Spider-Man on DVD for $2. Can't stop to care about human life when you're saving a couple of bucks on an old movie.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-02-2008, 07:49 PM
I know, right??!!!! When the first couple people realised they weren't stepping on "floor", you'd think they would have stopped and pushed back and yelled "Man down!" or something...

The problem is, if you stop, then you become the next one pushed down and trampled. Someone starts yelling, then someone sees someone on the ground and they start panicking and screaming and more chaos ensues. Eleven people died at that Who concert in 1979 when people tried to rush in.

DarthQuack
12-02-2008, 07:50 PM
Thankfully I was 1300 miles away from home black friday down in Clearwater for vacation.

JEDIpartner
12-05-2008, 09:33 AM
The problem is, if you stop, then you become the next one pushed down and trampled. Someone starts yelling, then someone sees someone on the ground and they start panicking and screaming and more chaos ensues. Eleven people died at that Who concert in 1979 when people tried to rush in.

If enough people stop, there's nowhere to go! :yes:

Mad Slanted Powers
12-05-2008, 09:39 AM
If enough people stop, there's nowhere to go! :yes:

Perhaps, but Dennis Miller brought up a similar point on O'Reilly's show. You might try and stop to help someone out, but at what point do your own survival instincts take over. You just don't know how you'll react until you are actually in that situation. He made a reference to Joe Delaney, the former Kansas City running back who died trying to save three kids from drowning even though he couldn't swim himself.

JEDIpartner
12-07-2008, 11:01 AM
I'd start punching, actually. LOL

Mad Slanted Powers
12-21-2008, 12:35 PM
Well, I've never experience Black Friday, but I got something similar yesterday. I just drove down to the Fred Meyer nearest me to get a few things and I had trouble finding a parking spot. There were no carts at the entrances, but I was able to get a basket which held everything I needed. Then the checkouts were busy. I had too many items for the self check and express lanes on the one end. It was pretty congested in the middle and I couldn't tell where the lines were ending. I just got in a long line at the other end of the registers. I probably waited over an hour before I got through. There were probably shorter lines, and this was kind of a slow cashier, but I probably would have had a pretty long wait either way.

I should have went there earlier in the morning. I didn't go until 11:30am. It's the last weekend before Christmas, but also people were probably trying to get stocked up before the next wave of snow hit last night. Looks like it will be sticking with us through Christmas.