PDA

View Full Version : Holiday Shopping Violence

Tycho
11-29-2008, 02:14 PM
One 19 year old girl jumped on the back of a man who was trying to claim the last bargain plasma TV at Wal-Mart. She pounded on his shoulders, recreating the scene where Captain Kirk battles the Gorn alien. Wal-Mart did not oblige and play that funky music for added effect though. The girl did have a rightful claim on the TV though, and was allowed to buy it. She smarted-off when she left the store. (This was in Long Island, NY). Anyone ever hear of assault and battery charges? I wonder if anyone else can guess at the other characteristics of this young "lady?" The article failed to mention everything, but I have my suspicions.

Next, a shoot-out occured in Toys R Us in a eastern-inland city in California. Authorities said it was gang related, and not a fight over toys. Two gang chics got into a bloody brawl and then their boyfriends shot each other as customers fled. I think the two dueling pistols shot each of their owners instantly dead.

Another Wal-Mart instance occured - maybe this was the one in New York, where a store-worker was trampled to death as people broke down the doors to rush in for 5am shopping. Aren't those doors glass? They're glass sliding doors at my Wal-Mart. My store is 24 hours, too - but I guess they all closed for Thanksgiving (or at least part of the day) Anyway, this was the first Black Friday death in probably forever. al-Qaeda has not yet claimed responsibility.

Anyway, I though 'tis the season, so...

Meanwhile, I've almost NEVER shopped on Black Friday. (Why do they call it that anyway? - the answer coming up in a few moments.)

stillakid
11-29-2008, 02:17 PM
Next, a shoot-out occured in Toys R Us in a eastern-inland city in California. Authorities said it was gang related, and not a fight over toys. Two gang chics got into a bloody brawl and then their boyfriends shot each other as customers fled. I think the two dueling pistols shot each of their owners instantly dead.

I smiled when I read this. Why? Because two more dip-sh### aren't wasting our air and resources. We can only hope that they didn't breed before removing themselves from the planet. Too bad their wh#### didn't get removed too.

Tycho
11-29-2008, 02:23 PM
Why it is called Black Friday:

from WiseGeek.com (http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-black-friday.htm) - a source for geeks to gain wisdom that I just found (they had no warnings saying that psychotic nerds like myself couldn't use this site, so I helped myself).

The word "black" in Black Friday refers to the term "in the black" meaning making a profit. Today, Black Friday is not a crucial source of profit to retailers, but is important in driving traffic into stores. Many retailers mail special Black Friday circulars to consumers, announcing deeply discounted items in the hopes that consumers will visit their store on Black Friday.

Marketing studies have shown that many Black Friday shoppers will buy other merchandise from stores in which they planned to visit to purchase advertised items. The increased volume of shoppers buying non-discounted items makes Black Friday profitable for retailers even though they do not make much profit on deeply discounted merchandise.

sith_killer_99
11-29-2008, 02:26 PM
I can't help but notice that the majority of the incidents occur at Wal-Mart.

I could go into a long post about what this says about our society, but I won't.:twisted:

Tycho
11-29-2008, 02:52 PM
I could go into a long post about what this says about our society, but I won't.:twisted:

Please DO. This is a discussion thread and it would help to continue an interesting discussion.

Actually, I was wondering if any of the rest of you are ever embarrassed to be HUMAN? Why do people act like lemmings and all flock out to the stores the day after Thanksgiving?

Well, many people have that day off work and the next month is December when people give gifts to celebrate someone else's birthday (which wasn't likely in December anyway). But a majority of people work retail and service jobs and DO NOT get the day after Thanksgiving off of work, so the shopping spree is really for just those HUMAN BEINGS who have money and paid (or unpaid) holiday benefits. Then they go out and try to "think of others" (maybe) but spend as little as possible on their alleged loved ones - getting bargains. For example: a tie rack. Ordinarily you'd never buy one for a gift, but if it's being offered at 50% off, suddenly it becomes the perfect gift along with a lemon-absorbic acid tester that lets people know if lemons they bought 2 days ago are actually 2 days old. (Everyone needs one of these.)

Now comes the hard part: physically conditioning oneself, mastering a martial art, and choosing the appropriate weaponry to protect one and one's shopping cart so you can obtain that lemon-tester for 50% off and give it to someone you only feel obliged to spend the day with on December 25th.

And why? "Because that's what everyone else does."

And capitalism seems hinged on this crazy ritual, as the stores operate in the red for a large part of the year and I've now learned that Black Friday refers to when the retailers can post a profit.

Whatever happened to the idea of supplying what is being demanded when it is being demanded? In March for example, the lemon-tester and the tie-rack are not going to be hot items. Why produce them and stock them, and run their manufacturers into debt, while running their retailers into debt, etc?

If I ran a SMALL business, I'd take orders and supply these items made-for-order. I understand stocking stuff for impulse buys, but hasn't this gotten out of control through the course of our industrial revolution?

pbarnard
11-29-2008, 03:17 PM
I've always asked the question, what is the advantage to being the only species that we know of that can be capable of behaving altruistically, as well as behaving against our own self intrest as indviduals, family units, and group/herds (societies).

What isn't stated is that since so much of the retail business revolves around credit, the inability to get credit or tightening of the credit markets has only affected Circuit City so far (was a stated reason for their bankrupcy filing). Why didn't others go under or file for bankrupcy protection as well.

sith_killer_99
11-29-2008, 03:22 PM
Then they go out and try to "think of others" (maybe) but spend as little as possible on their alleged loved ones

That's one way to look at it, another would be to say that the money you save can be spent on additional gifts. For example, I buy my wife an iPod, if I save $25.00 I can buy her a $25.00 iTunes gift card to go with it, for the same price. Either way, it about getting the most for your buck, which leads me to the discussion I was planning on avoiding.

Wal-Mart tends to attract a lower class of people. Not always mind you, but more so than other stores.

A buddy of mine and his wife REFUSE to shop at Wal-Mart for this reason. They will go to Target or even K-Mart (from time to time).

Now, I know what some people are going to say, low income does not equal low class, that's stereotyping, etc.

But that's not my point.

There may be a lot of good reasons that Wal-Mart appears to attract low class people, first of all they are the largest retailer in America. This means that they attract more people in general and by extension more low class customers.

There are plenty of good people who shop at Wal-Mart, I'm one of them. But the fact remains that more low class customers shop at Wal-Mart.

Wal-Mart built their empire by catering first to those rural, isolated areas. Their low cost goods also attract people with little means. So Wal-Mart caters to the poor and the rural customers in America. Often times rural customers aren't used to dealing with large groups of people and often times poor customers are desperate to save money and get the most that they can.

Tycho
11-29-2008, 03:26 PM
I believe that almost EVERY business "cooks their books." They pretend they are successful to keep shareholders or private investors. Or they pretend they are successful to earn or maintain respect from friends and family members.

"I have a lint-selling business. I pull lint out of my pockets and offer it up on eBay. I have been more successful this year than any previous year I've been in business. I have 10 times as many customers as I did just last year (Zero x 10 = Zero.) I hope you are impressed and feel priviledged to know me. I will be going public with my company very shortly and let you in on a chance to own a part of my successful business. Additionally, with my IPO as a basis for establishing my credit, I will be financing healthcare and pension plans for my future employees as I grow this economy by hiring others to collect lint out of their pockets and expand our website and eBay store. As a business owner, I am carefully watching the lint-pickers unions being established as experienced lint-pickers run for union office positions and draw salaries for protecting workers against carpel-tunnel sydrome they can get from withdrawing lint from their empty pockets. They all have business experience from the American auto industry."

Dude: capitalism and business in general are a fantasy-fraud. Some day I'll buy solar pannels and grow my own food and retreat from the rest of society. I must first be able to stop buying Star Wars figures though.

sith_killer_99
11-29-2008, 03:36 PM
Some day I'll buy solar pannels and grow my own food and retreat from the rest of society. I must first be able to stop buying Star Wars figures though.

If your not part of the solution your part of the problem!:p;):D

DarthBrandon
11-29-2008, 04:23 PM
I smiled when I read this. Why? Because two more dip-sh### aren't wasting our air and resources. We can only hope that they didn't breed before removing themselves from the planet. Too bad their wh#### didn't get removed too.

I did as well, & I agree wholeheartedly. Both Wal-Mart issues belong in the you can't fix stupid section., The TRU one belongs in the you can pry the toy or gun from my cold dead hand area.:D (which I'm sure someone did) Absolute nonsense IMHO, I hope the people that trampled the poor guy to death to save $20.00 gets what's coming to them.:twisted: (poor excuses for beings IMHO.)

Mad Slanted Powers
11-29-2008, 08:19 PM
Dude: capitalism and business in general are a fantasy-fraud. Some day I'll buy solar pannels and grow my own food and retreat from the rest of society. I must first be able to stop buying Star Wars figures though.And I assume you will be buying those solar panels from some fraudulent fantasy business?

You do allude to a good point. These days, not too many people could be self sufficient. They don't know how to grow their own food, make their own clothes, or build their own home and the furniture that goes in it. Just think of all the chores people had to do 100 years ago that are taken care of by technology today. This sort of problem would be even worse in large population centers. Consider all the chaos that results during a blackout. If there comes a time where technology fails us, there will be some who are prepared and know how to survive, while others will try to take by force from those people.

El Chuxter
11-30-2008, 01:30 AM
I mentioned in another thread that I go to the TRU where the shooting occurred rather often. As distance goes, it's the third closest to my house, and the only one around if we head east when "going into town." I drove by earlier today, but it seemed sick to even think of going in.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-30-2008, 09:21 AM
First of all, I would like to place my vote as "against" in connection to the title of this thread.

Perhaps any receipts for items purchased from a store with a death or serious injury at that time should be required to use the ends of the paper rolls with the red lines on it, to symbolize the blood shed in order to keep businesses out the red. Capitalism and decapitation come from the same base: head. Use your own, people! :upset:

Han: "No reward is worth this."
Lando: "This deal is getting worse all the time."
Amidala: "Our people are dying, Senator. We must do something."
Tarkin: "You're far too trusting. But we will deal with your Rebel friends soon enough."
Vader: "You don't know the power of the dark side. I must obey my master."
Anakin: "In my view, the Jedi are evil." ... "Liar! You're with him!"
Obi-Wan: "So what I told you was true, from a certain point of view."

Tycho
12-01-2008, 01:47 AM
And I assume you will be buying those solar panels from some fraudulent fantasy business?

You do allude to a good point. These days, not too many people could be self sufficient. They don't know how to grow their own food, make their own clothes, or build their own home and the furniture that goes in it. Just think of all the chores people had to do 100 years ago that are taken care of by technology today. This sort of problem would be even worse in large population centers. Consider all the chaos that results during a blackout. If there comes a time where technology fails us, there will be some who are prepared and know how to survive, while others will try to take by force from those people.

Good points - all of them. (I capitulate to you on the fraudulent, fantasy solar business).

A huge problem with people today is that they don't know how to survive without the entertainment they don't "need." Necessity would breed survival skills and even the clueless (should they become survivors) will get the clues along the way to grow their own food, sew their own clothes, and build and furnish some kind of shelter. But people who've experiences the "good life" we have today won't be able to handle themselves without TV and video games, etc. Cultured in violent movies with sociopathic idols and roles in games like Grand Theft Auto, more people would quickly de-evolve to take what they need or want by force from weaker people. And they'll risk suicidal maneuvers just to entertain themselves because survival won't be enough for them to continue on living.

Jedi_Kal-El
12-01-2008, 01:57 AM
Touching on the points that MSP and Tycho have made, there are alot of Amish people where I live and while I don't know if I'd want to live the way they do, I do admire the fact that they don't rely on technology in their everyday lives.

It's funny, but if the world as we knew it ended next week, most would not be able to survive without the modern comforts they've grown acustomed to, just as Tycho stated. It's really is kinda sad how bad things have gotten to where people have to sit in front of the tube for hours just to see what Brangelina had for breakfast or what stupid thing Paris did this week.

The sad part to MSPs point is that there will be more people who try to survive by taking what they want than there will be those who are actually prepared and know how to survivwe.

Phantom-like Menace
12-01-2008, 11:45 PM
If civilization ends today, I'm going wherever Mel Gibson and Kevin Kostner are. They've proven time and time again they have the survival abilities needed in a post-apocalyptic world.

Otherwise, the type of mindset that would be involved in a trampling death is not as far away from us as we'd like to believe. How many of us are a few minutes late for work and decide to speed or drive a little less carefully than normal? We're essentially saying that the risk of taking a human life due to carelessness is worth not being a few minutes late for work. These people trampled someone to save a few bucks. Just how much do we make in a few minutes of work? Probably less than that. We might argue that we wouldn't keep driving, but that's cold comfort to whomever just got wiped out by our bumper.

Each person involved in the trampling has probably decided that even though he was guilty of trampling, that someone else probably caused the death. It's safety in numbers. "One of them did it, not me. I stepped on him, but someone else probably killed him."

And it's certainly not a problem of the lower class. Everyone thinks they're more important than the next person. Everyone who has decided that someone else needs to bend to their needs (Probably "justified" with the expression "It's the principle!" Sound familiar?) thinks they are more important than the next. That automatically makes others beneath them.

Tycho
12-02-2008, 07:24 AM
People drive like that all the time: they pass someone with their turn signal on, instead of let them change lanes in front of them.

I've always thought it was safer to let someone change lanes in front of ME, so I see where they are going and don't have to worry about whether or not they were aware of my position on the road. If I want to pass them, I do so after they are settled and happy in their new lane.

But I see so many ignorant drivers who believe it to be some small victory for themselves to never let anyone else pass them or whatever.

El Chuxter
12-02-2008, 09:14 AM
The Palm Springs ABC station had an exclusive interview with the daughter of one of the guys in the shooting (who was 39, way too old to be involved in this gang carp). She claims the other guy shot her father in cold blood, then, when she yelled that the guy had killed him, he shot himself "once or twice" in the head. And, yet, her father always carried a gun with him because of a longstanding violent grudge with this other dude.

Somehow I just don't buy it. I'm not sure if it's not knowing how many times a guy shot himself in front of you (in the head, no less), her father packing heat throwing her portrayal of him as a nonviolent fellow into total disrepute, or that this completely contradicts every other story on the matter.

TeeEye7
12-02-2008, 10:53 AM
(who was 39, way too old to be involved in this gang carp).

Nope. I've dealt with idiots almost in their 50's. These are the"generals" who perpetuate this carp and run the gangs. Watch out for the kiddies, though. We've convicted seven 12 to 15-year-olds this year for murder of three people in two separate incidents. All victims were over 70.

El Chuxter
12-02-2008, 01:41 PM
I didn't mean that there aren't gangbangers who are older. I just meant he should be old enough to be mature enough to not be, but obviously wasn't, so he's a moron. Was a moron. Big difference there. ;)

And who gets to pay for the stupidity of these two MF's? Everyone in the Coachella Valley who wanted to get a cheap Wii game.

El Chuxter
07-21-2010, 12:42 AM
I have since been in that Toys R Us many times. Even though Palm Springs is the nicest metro area of the three I'm near (Redlands, Riverside, and Palm Springs), their one TRU is probably the worst of the nearby ones.

To this day I find it crazy that this TRU is in such an upscale neighborhood in a city called Palm Desert but, because it's the only one in the entire Coachella Valley, it's always run down and barren. I think in the five years I've lived here and driven out there fairly regularly, I've actually found toys there maybe four or five times.

Phantom-like Menace
07-21-2010, 06:03 AM
That's really weird. Right about the time you were posting this, I accidentally ran across this thread in a search. I just now saw it at the top and thought I may have misposted into this thread.

Tycho
07-21-2010, 11:54 AM
My family lives in Palm Desert. I'll phone when I have plans to visit them, Chux.

However, I'm going to see you on Sunday at Comic Con.