PDA

View Full Version : Sideshow Indiana Jones

jedibear
11-29-2008, 06:00 PM
After a good long wait, Sideshow's 1:6 scale Indiana Jones figure has finally arrived...

I think the wait was worth it...it's a good looking figure featuring the new Prometheus body, not one but two great head sculpts, plenty of well-done accessories and the clothes are well tailored and look great.

The new body takes some getting used to, but it is good. Joints are a little loose, but the hand/head/feet switching is much easier with the new peg/ball system. Plenty of alternate hands...but there are a couple of good options missing here...it would have been good to include a "whip-grip" right hand (the "pistol grip" one is adequate, but limited on really gripping the whip handle) and at least one "relaxed" hand, but what's included is good. It's cool to have a "coiled" whip and a flexible one for posing/display options. I took the plastic "sand" bag and placed it in the shoulder satchel for "ballast"...it makes the satchel hang better on his shoulder. The poison dart is suitably small and the unlit torch is an interesting addition. The guns are very well done...right down to the rotating clip in the Colt...but Sideshow has always gone for great detail on their figure's weapons.

The accessories are delicate...I've already lost the peg on the holster (!), but I'll figure out something to replace it with.

I only had one "issue" with this figure and...it's not the figure itself, but the box. While those styro caps have been a reall good addition to the shipping box in getting these figures as MIB to us as possible, someone got a little overzealous with the one I received and crammed them on to the point of bending the end flaps of the box over on themselves and smashing the box on both ends. Not a huge deal to most I'm sure, but as someone who appreciates the packaging, it was disappointing.

But that's a small thing compared to how really great this figure looks...this is a great rendition of one of my favorite movie characters done with great care and detail...it was a long wait, but the end result is something I'll treasure as part of my collection for a long time....

Adventure has a name....and it's Indiana Jones!

Ji'dai
11-29-2008, 10:50 PM
I put myself on the wait list the other day. If I get one, fine, but if not, oh well.

A number of sites have reported Sideshow putting the Toht figure up for preorder.

JediTricks
11-29-2008, 11:31 PM
Dang, I wish I hadn't clicked this thread. UPS refused to deliver my Indy on Friday despite it being in town that morning, I have to wait until Monday.

The torso on the Prometheus body looks very slight compared to the legs and head on this, I hope that's not the case. Kinda surprised to hear the new body has loose joints too, seems like Sideshow cannot deliver a decent point of articulation anymore. Also, in the pics it seems like the jacket and pants are too big for this body, and I can't imagine that being the case and you not mentioning it, so I gotta see that for myself.

Anyway, congrats on the get. (I know, odd way to end this post) :p

jedibear
11-30-2008, 06:53 PM
The body is "slight", but so is the buck. the difference here is that the hips are done in such a way as to not have the waist of the pants suck into them and look odd. That was always an issue with the Buck to me.

The clothes are a bit baggy, but I prefer that to the trend of too-tight-fitting outfits like the ones Han & Luke (Bespin) sported. At least with the clothes on Indy, there's some room for adustment and it helps make the posing less awkward. Let me know what you think, JT...

And yes, Ji'dai...Toht is up for pre-order. He's a bit pricey, but he comes with the ark (in polystone no less)and he'll have two portraits...a standard one and a "melting" one from the film's finale. Other cool things: He comes with the infamous hanger and an alternate hand with the staff headpiece burned into it.
The prototype is also sporting a Nazi lapel pin...it'll be interesting to see if this passes muster at Lucasfilm. I hope so, for accuracy's sake. The rest of his outfit looks impeccably tailored as well.
I've pre-ordered him, but we'll see how my personal economy is doing as his release date gets closer.

Meanwhile, I'll keep enjoying this new Indy figure...

JediTricks
11-30-2008, 08:49 PM
Considering how the LOTR line went down the tubes at SSC, I'm shocked they're going forward with Toht so quickly with Belloq and his idol display untested at sales. But I admire them for trying, especially with that Ark, it looks great.

Jayspawn
11-30-2008, 11:38 PM
My SS Indy still says "Processing." Gonna have to give em a call.

Jayspawn
12-01-2008, 11:15 AM
Looks like mine is shipping in the next day or so. Becuase of the Thanksgiving week, they only processed and shipping a few orders.

Thanks for the pics jedibear! I wont pay almost $100 for just any Sideshow figure. But its is a no-brainer. Did you get the exclusive or regular?

TheDarthVader
12-01-2008, 11:36 AM
I got the exclusive, myself, and could not be any happier with it! The box arrived in immaculate shape, and the figure is just...plain...happenin'. :D

jedibear
12-01-2008, 08:48 PM
Looks like mine is shipping in the next day or so. Becuase of the Thanksgiving week, they only processed and shipping a few orders.

Thanks for the pics jedibear! I wont pay almost $100 for just any Sideshow figure. But its is a no-brainer. Did you get the exclusive or regular?

Got the exclusive. Don't know if I'll ever display him with that dart, but...

And yeah...those "bundles" Sideshow is doing for this line...the Idol Pedestal with Belloq and the Ark with Toht...seem to be an interesting way to get environment/accessories out there with characters that wouldn't necessarily move many units on their own.

I just wish the stuff was available separately...I'd love the Idol set to display Indy with, but to have to lay out such serious coin for it to get a figure I'm not wild about...oh, well. At least Toht has a bit of a leg up being an interesting character that has a striking appearance, is packing with accessories and that additional melting portrait.

I do hope that the line gets enough steam in it to get some other characters from some of the other films. Mola Ram would make a striking figure, as would Col. Vogel and...I'd really like to see a Spalko figure. But we'll see how the line fares with how they're rolling stuff out now....

Jayspawn
12-02-2008, 01:03 PM
I'm with you jedibear. I'd like the idol pedestal and the ark but I would like to purchase them separately.

Anyways, I really like where the line is going. Toth looks awesome! Though I'm gonna try and get him and Belloq on the secondary market. My wishlist for this line includes Mola Ram, Col. Vogel, Henry, Last Crusade Sallah, Mutt and Mac. A generic German Soldier would be cool too.

JediTricks
12-03-2008, 04:27 PM
So, I got to check out my 12" Indy figure finally after a busy few days. I must say, my first impressions are very mixed about this one.

I don't really like the Prometheus body so far, the hands and feet come off way too easily, the hands come off their pegs the wrong way fairly often, the forearms come off easily and look like prosthetics which is creepy, the midsection's range of motion is hampered for leaning, and I'm extremely disappointed that the shoulders don't have the shrug range that the previous version did. It's also a very slight body compared to the height, head and outfit. The faux shoes is a realm I'm not sure about yet, I think the execution just comes off too toy-like, I think there's room to get this right but it needs socks or paint or something. The exposed joints seem more obvious on this body, the wrists especially don't work with the basic hands - the gloved hands seem to get the job done better though. Finding a natural pose takes a little more time with this body, the arms and legs seem to want to stay narrow and robot-stiff, and the ankles spin freely so once a good pose is found, it's too easy to lose again to awkwardness. I'm also annoyed at the amount of effort required to change heads, the figure crumples into a twisted mess during this process.

The likeness is very good, especially from the left side. This is the best Harrison Ford likeness they've done so far, it's too bad the neck peg doesn't match with the Han Solo figures they've put out (although the Han and Indy looks are fairly different). I am not entirely digging the facial hair paint, there's something liney about it, but the transition is far more subtle than previous attempts so that's a step up. The permanently-attached hat is frustrating, not only does it seem to hide the sculpting and paint of the face a little, but they painted it gray instead of brown. I know one of the costumes used for the movie had this, but the main one is definitely brown, it's seen in tons of behind-the-scenes photos. I don't get that. The hatless head is a little better, and I love that they put cloth inside the unattached hat (which obviously won't fit over his head, hence the hat-attached head), but I find it harder to display this figure without the hat.

The costume is pretty good. The jacket rumples VERY nicely at times, though it's also easy to puff out and look too big. They did a miniature zipper on the front which is amazing, doesn't work but who cares, looks much better than the Medicom version. There is a buckle on each side that SSC included but didn't buckle, it's teeny tiny but definitely buckled in the film, I have no idea how they expect us to really thread that, but I suppose it is possible. Getting the jacket off of the figure is the easy part, the hard part is getting it on over the sleeves of the shirt - I actually took off the forearms for this, it worked and turned out the jacket sleeves don't look as good this way, d'oh! The shirt has 2 issues for me, first is that it's too clean and seems a little on the cheap design side (there's a small horizontal tear just below the collar on the right side, may be intentional but not sure why), and second is that they gave Indy disco collars. WTF? Indy sports a pretty short collar in the film, while this shirt goes all the way across the shoulders. The pants are good, they have a great rumple and a good color, but SSC has them hiked up to his chest so that needs futzing right out of the package. Both belts look nice, the web belt seems perfect, while the gunbelt has a huge holster and it's colored exactly the same as the belt, but it's ok. The coiled whip is held on via a magnet wrap which is a little short but just barely reaches. The satchel is nice, I would have liked to have seen it darker, and with the strap adjusted to the right height so it would crease properly, but it's good - getting it on Indy means taking off the jacket but it's worth it.

Accessories are decent, but at this price it's not as amazing to hear that. The aforementioned plastic hat with satin liner is nifty, the idol is nifty but has a seam line and a hole in the bottom which is less than stellar, the sand bag is well done but a bit fat for the hand to hold (it fits great in the satchel, good advice there JB), and the coiled whip is excellent and even has a fabric end. The uncoiled whip is a pain in the *** IMO, it's a little too thick, the bendy wire ends up being a problem to find good poses for and doesn't want to let go of bad ones. There's a lot of hands, 2 full sets - gloved and ungloved - both with punching fists (left and right), and gun-shooting right & cupped left. The new hand/wrist design is promising, but the ungloved hands are pretty big and pop off the pegs very easily, in fact I had a ton of trouble getting the wrists out of their joints because the hands kept popping off instead. Finally, there's the 2 guns - the Smith & Wesson Hand Ejector II revolver and the Browning Hi-Power semi-automatic pistol. The S&W revolver is near perfect, it has a movable hammer, and the cylinder rotates and comes out, it even has painted shells sculpted in. The Browning pistol is equally exciting, the slide moves (though it's a toughy), the clip is removable, and they sculpted a teeny tiny painted shell raised free in the clip! Both pistols seem like they have a flat deco, up close it's nicer but from a distance the deco needed a bolder piece of weathering. I'm concerned that these are very fragile and will break, but they're amazing so far. My real frustration is that the pistol mine came with has a bent trigger guard because of the tray design, this is patently unacceptable and a real waste of a great accessory. The satchel is nifty, the strap is adjustable, and it opens and closes via magnets, which is top drawer.

For packaging, I like that they used the same box style as the Star Wars line, the 2-box 5th panel magnetic clasp thing really works well. The art is good and has several photos of the figure, but I felt like Lucasfilm held back on the elements here. The trays are popper style, but they taped them as well because the poppers don't work well here for some reason, and my accessories tray came a little damaged. Some stuff is held into the trays very loosely, while others are held it too tightly, it's a real conundrum.

Ultimately, this is a nifty set with some flaws, I feel like I'll dig it more in a few days or weeks, not unlike the Darth Maul figure, but the pricing on this is just too high. The Prometheus body feels more like a toy than the Buck, and while it solves the problem with the hips, it creates more than it solves and above the waist is arguably inferior. There are a few too many little errors, but overall they got the notes very right. If this thing had been $20 less, it'd be very easy to overlook its issues, but at nearly a hundred bucks, there should be nothing of the sort.

jedibear
12-03-2008, 08:17 PM
Good thorough run-through, JT...as always, I appreciate your intense, well-considered reviews...

On the Pro Body...I guess I'm not having the real issue with the interchangable hands as you are...the ones on the figure I got stay on ok and as I mentioned, I like it that they come on and off much easier than the buck. I see what you mean about the "shoulder roll" issue though...looking at both bodies, it makes me wish that they could incorporate the best features of both into one. Yes, the Pro does seem slighter and I definately don't look forward to any characters with more form-fitting outfits as they will look even more gangly and emaciated than Bespin Han or Jedi Luke do, but if they keep releasing characters that feature bulky of looser clothing, it should be fine.

And yes...the guns are really something here...very sharp and well-done...doing the "moving parts" at this scale is pretty bold and Sideshow pulls it off quite well. The wire whip is a challenge to be sure, but the most difficult part in dealing with it to me is that we don't have a hand that can better hold it to help hold it well. As for the loop on the gun belt to hold the whip, well, I got it wet and carefully stretched it a bit and it works fine now. No major tugs or force here...just a gentle pull did the trick.

While I'm pretty satisfied with the factory paint apps on the head sulpts, I'll admit that the "hat-less" one has a little too close to "heavy eyeliner" look for comfort. It still looks good, but I will keep him displayed with the hat becasue for me, it's the more iconic look...

I still really like this figure a lot. Like most of the Sideshow figures, I may have an issue or two, but as I enjoy the figure through displaying and taking pics or whatnot, I come to appreciate it even more...it's a good solid entry to me.

Jayspawn
12-04-2008, 07:07 PM
Got my SS Indy today! I'm still checkin it out, so body issues to speak of yet, hands and feet working well.

jedibear
12-04-2008, 07:17 PM
So what do you think, Jayspawn?

I'm liking this figure more every day I have it on display...he's pretty cool to look at...

JediTricks
12-05-2008, 03:28 AM
Good thorough run-through, JT...as always, I appreciate your intense, well-considered reviews...Thanks for the kind words. I hope you and everybody else got that those were my initial impressions and were likely to change one way or another, I'm not going to fall into the trap I did with Maul again.

On the Pro Body...I guess I'm not having the real issue with the interchangable hands as you are...the ones on the figure I got stay on ok and as I mentioned, I like it that they come on and off much easier than the buck. I see what you mean about the "shoulder roll" issue though...looking at both bodies, it makes me wish that they could incorporate the best features of both into one. Yes, the Pro does seem slighter and I definately don't look forward to any characters with more form-fitting outfits as they will look even more gangly and emaciated than Bespin Han or Jedi Luke do, but if they keep releasing characters that feature bulky of looser clothing, it should be fine.I have a feeling that this VERY thin peg design will eventually pop out on yours as well, or break off, it's half a peg unfortunately. The design just doesn't seem to have longterm in mind. I agree that a "best of both worlds" should be done with these 2 bodies, the funny thing is it LOOKS like the joint should do that, but the joint doesn't seem to do much of ANYTHING, its range is super limited. I have a feeling other figures using this body with form-fitting clothes will need smaller heads to keep the body in scale, otherwise it'll be a real bummer. I was already kind of phasing out my interest in Sideshow, and this new body all but cinched it unfortunately.

And yes...the guns are really something here...very sharp and well-done...doing the "moving parts" at this scale is pretty bold and Sideshow pulls it off quite well. The wire whip is a challenge to be sure, but the most difficult part in dealing with it to me is that we don't have a hand that can better hold it to help hold it well. As for the loop on the gun belt to hold the whip, well, I got it wet and carefully stretched it a bit and it works fine now. No major tugs or force here...just a gentle pull did the trick.
I see what you mean about holding the whip, I didn't even get a chance to stand him up to run into troubles there, but I'm sure it'll remain a prob. The loop on the belt, I like that idea, I basically just have the magnets barely touch to get the job done.

I still really like this figure a lot. Like most of the Sideshow figures, I may have an issue or two, but as I enjoy the figure through displaying and taking pics or whatnot, I come to appreciate it even more...it's a good solid entry to me.I agree, but at the price, it's no longer easy to swallow those pills along with the candy.

UPDATE: Ok, so I went to see how Michael Crawford liked his, he does a lot of reviews and is pretty fair. Apparently, soon after he got the figure, the new Prometheus body's hip snapped!
http://mwctoys.com/REVIEW_112608a.htm
He also had trouble with the wrists like I did, and he mentions the neck on his was very loose. That was an area I felt like mine was in danger of suffering, but hadn't quite crossed that threshold on mine - but clearly it's definitely something to watch for.

sebillba
12-05-2008, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the great review JT, and your awesome photos JB. I've been drooling over this figure over at SS Freaks for a while now, and been getting really excited about it. I was hoping to get mine in time for Christmas, but that's looking unlikely now.

Unfortunately I never ordered direct from SS, but through Play.com. Then Forbidden Planet had a 20% off sale, so I ordered it through them as well, thinking I would cancel after whichever came through first. At the time they were both showing due dates of November... of course this was a tad optimistic, and FP put theirs back to mid-December, which seemed reasonable enough, whereas Play obviously didn't have a clue, as they just keep on putting theirs back by a week or two. Now FP have delayed theirs till Feb '09, so my dreams of having this under the Christmas tree have crumbled. :cry:

But with all I've been reading, I'm starting to wonder whether it's really worth getting. The only other SS figures I have are from POTA, and the feet were a huge disappointment to me - they would spin like propellors! And despite all it's promise, the prometheus seems no better... in fact, with all its loose joints, it sounds worse.

Another concern I have with SS figures is when the faces are painted with flesh tones, instead of being cast in flesh coloured plastic.... I don't know why, it's just one of my pet hates! Maybe it's because the painted faces are more vulnerable to chipping/scuffing, or paint slop. Or they just remind me of those old-fashioned bisque dolls. I've been assured that Indy is cast in flesh coloured plastic, but then I read someone else say his appeared to be all painted, and another report that it looked like some sort of resin, which was possibly why it's too heavy for the neck joint, and flops down too easily.

So at this stage I'm really not sure if I still want it. I was so looking forward to it, but the more it gets delayed, and the more negatives I read, the more inclined I am to just cancel, and stick with my Hasbro. (!!!) I've put the whip-cracking Indy head on a regular GI Joe body, given him all the best accessories, including some of the hidden relics, and he doesn't look half bad. At least he can hold a pose!

Jayspawn
12-05-2008, 11:37 AM
Still liking it jedibear -dont have any beefs with anything yet. Which head are you using for the pic? Still using the hat/head on mine. I like the extra head that it comes with though. I think this Harrison is their best on 12" so far.

JediTricks
12-05-2008, 02:45 PM
But with all I've been reading, I'm starting to wonder whether it's really worth getting. The only other SS figures I have are from POTA, and the feet were a huge disappointment to me - they would spin like propellors! And despite all it's promise, the prometheus seems no better... in fact, with all its loose joints, it sounds worse. The feet on the Prometheus body can easily and cheaply be buffered from spin, the design is a removable peg, simply wrap the peg in paper and that'd friction it up - since it's not a toy, you won't use it enough to wear that down. As to whether it's worth getting, that depends on how much of an Indy fan you are. If you love ROTLA, this is the only Indiana Jones figure. The japanese 12" all have something wrong with either jacket or hat or likeness. The US 12" are kiddifed junk. The 3.75" figures are fun but limited representations. The Disney 4.5" is cute but equally limited. The Disney 7" is good but a mixed likeness and the joints are missing a few crucial choices for signature poses. And you being in the UK means all this stuff is far less available.

Another concern I have with SS figures is when the faces are painted with flesh tones, instead of being cast in flesh coloured plastic.... I don't know why, it's just one of my pet hates! Maybe it's because the painted faces are more vulnerable to chipping/scuffing, or paint slop. Or they just remind me of those old-fashioned bisque dolls. I've been assured that Indy is cast in flesh coloured plastic, but then I read someone else say his appeared to be all painted, and another report that it looked like some sort of resin, which was possibly why it's too heavy for the neck joint, and flops down too easily.You'll be happy to know that SSC did this Indy head without paint, it's cast in flesh tone and not given any treatment - I actually like the slight treatments giving extra tone... usually.

So at this stage I'm really not sure if I still want it. I was so looking forward to it, but the more it gets delayed, and the more negatives I read, the more inclined I am to just cancel, and stick with my Hasbro. (!!!) I've put the whip-cracking Indy head on a regular GI Joe body, given him all the best accessories, including some of the hidden relics, and he doesn't look half bad. At least he can hold a pose!"Doesn't look half bad" means he looks somewhat bad. :p SSC Indy comes with a stand. Trust me, there's no competition between the Hasbro design and the SSC version. SSC has Indy regular edition available in the US, but I don't know if he's available in Europe anymore, you should just get it from them. If you can afford it, this is the one to get. You've already spent $40+ (if you had bought them in the US) on Hasbro's garbage 12" Indy, and it looks "not quite half bad" at best, has crummy costuming and accessories.

sebillba
12-05-2008, 05:00 PM
Thanks for the reassurance, ok, you've sold me, I still want it. :D I've just checked SSC site, and while it's back in stock for the US, for Europe it's on backorder, so I might as well stick with my other pre-orders, and hope one of them comes through soon. Plus, with current exchange rates, it's almost $30 cheaper from Forbidden Planet (I'm assuming they paid SS in advance to fix the price, when rates were a lot more favourable for us).

Ji'dai
12-05-2008, 06:11 PM
I knew I shouldn't keep checking this thread. I went ahead and ordered a 12" Indy since it's back in stock (thanks so much sebillba, my wallet hates you).

My first 12" Sideshow purchase since 2003... hope it's worth it.

Jayspawn
12-05-2008, 07:08 PM
I knew I shouldn't keep checking this thread. I went ahead and ordered a 12" Indy since it's back in stock (thanks so much sebillba, my wallet hates you).

Its worth it. I think its the most Ive spent on a 12" figure & I dont regret it one bit.

jedibear
12-06-2008, 10:31 PM

You have chosen...wisely. :) Seriously though...if you're an Indy fan and have any of Sideshow's other figures and know not to expect absolute perfection (hard to say at the price I know), I think you'll find Indy a real good figure...

Thanks for the great review JT, and your awesome photos JB....

...But with all I've been reading, I'm starting to wonder whether it's really worth getting...

....So at this stage I'm really not sure if I still want it. I was so looking forward to it, but the more it gets delayed, and the more negatives I read, the more inclined I am to just cancel, and stick with my Hasbro.

Thanks for the kudos on the shots, sebillba. That's one of the things about these figures...when they work for me, I end up snapping lots of different shots and changing how they're displayed constantly...and this Indy figure has been getting a good workout from me.
I'm sorry you're disappointed in the SS POTA figures...I only have three of them...Cornelius, Zaius and the Gorilla Enforcer and I really like all of them, especially Cornelius...the sculpts are amazing and the outfits are very good too...my only regret is that I didn't "discover" that line until towards the end and missed the opportunity to get more of them, especially Zira and General Ursus. But back to Indy....
I'm not going to knock the Hasbro efforts...for $20 mass-market toys, they are actually pretty good looking figures, especially that whip-cracking version you mention (could do without that silly "action" feature though) but JT's point is well-taken...the bottom line is how much of an Indy fan you are...if he is a significantly important character for you, than I'd say the Sideshow version is the best of the lot that has been offered over this "year of Indy" we've just experienced with all of the different toys and figures to choose from. He's definitely my personal favorite...

sebillba
12-07-2008, 01:32 PM
I'm sorry you're disappointed in the SS POTA figures...I only have three of them...Cornelius, Zaius and the Gorilla Enforcer and I really like all of them, especially Cornelius...the sculpts are amazing and the outfits are very good too...my only regret is that I didn't "discover" that line until towards the end and missed the opportunity to get more of them, especially Zira and General Ursus.

These were my first (and so far only) SS figures, and I guess I was just expecting something closer to "perfection"... at least I didn't expect such a basic flaw as loosely spinning joints on a high-end collectible. Still, it didn't put me off that much as I collected the full set of apes (not the humans), and they do look superb on display.

But back to Indy....
I'm not going to knock the Hasbro efforts...for $20 mass-market toys, they are actually pretty good looking figures, especially that whip-cracking version you mention (could do without that silly "action" feature though)

Exactly... which is why I swapped mine to a regular Joe body. I'm actually quite happy with the Hasbro 12" range overall, especially at the price point. Sure, the talker is kiddified.... but for a kid, it's a great toy! I obviously prefer them without any action features, and while they still look like toys, that's fine with me..... I collect toys!!

the bottom line is how much of an Indy fan you are...if he is a significantly important character for you, than I'd say the Sideshow version is the best of the lot that has been offered over this "year of Indy" we've just experienced with all of the different toys and figures to choose from. He's definitely my personal favorite...

Thanks for your recommendation, between you and JT, I'm convinced I still want this. I didn't realise quite how much of an Indy fan I was until this year.... I've always loved the films of course, but I've had such a blast collecting the toys this year, and have enjoyed them far more than SW. Now, like a lot of people, I want an ultimate 1/6th Indy, so it looks like SS is my best option.

jedibear
12-07-2008, 05:33 PM
In any season...adventure has a name.

JediTricks
12-08-2008, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the reassurance, ok, you've sold me, I still want it. :D I've just checked SSC site, and while it's back in stock for the US, for Europe it's on backorder, so I might as well stick with my other pre-orders, and hope one of them comes through soon. Plus, with current exchange rates, it's almost $30 cheaper from Forbidden Planet (I'm assuming they paid SS in advance to fix the price, when rates were a lot more favourable for us).Sure thing. Hopefully one of the 2 preorders pays off then. That's quite a price difference from FP.

My first 12" Sideshow purchase since 2003... hope it's worth it.I suppose it depends on what you're looking for, but I can't imagine any Indy fan not looking for what DOES work about this figure - likeness, jacket, pants, belt, accessories, coiled whip. Judging on the pics I've seen of the other 12" Indy figs, the likeness, hat, and jacket are all WELL above those, and those are some of the biggest aspects. And looking at the Hasbro 3.75" figure vs SSC's, it's like "why did I even buy that?"

So basically, what doesn't work doesn't work, but what does work works better than any other Indy out there. So, you could spend $40 on 2 Hasbro versions that don't work trying to cobble together one that does, could spend $7-8 a pop on a metric ton of Indy 3.75" figures that don't work that well, $150 on a Medicom 12" Indy with its own set of issues and a lesser likeness and jacket and hat, untold hundreds on Toys McCoy's 12" Indy with its fat head... OR you could just drop $90 on SSC's version which is superior to those in many ways. So when it comes down to it, it's all about balance. And of course, if you order the SSC one they'll buy back minus shipping if you really hate it, or you could sell it on ebay and probably make a small profit.

In any season...adventure has a name.Nice shots! Should give him a beard to recreate the Young Indiana Jones episode that Harrison Ford guest-starred in. :p (his scenes took place in the snow) Your first photo there really brings it to reality.

Interesting focus choice on the second shot, it works pretty well, though I think the scale needs a little help with lighting as the background is lit differently from the foreground. The natural lens blur hides a lot of the figure's toyetickness, but that scarf (or maybe the lack of the turned up collar) makes him look even skinnier. :p

Ji'dai
12-09-2008, 06:59 PM
I suppose it depends on what you're looking for, but I can't imagine any Indy fan not looking for what DOES work about this figure - likeness, jacket, pants, belt, accessories, coiled whip. Judging on the pics I've seen of the other 12" Indy figs, the likeness, hat, and jacket are all WELL above those, and those are some of the biggest aspects. And looking at the Hasbro 3.75" figure vs SSC's, it's like "why did I even buy that?"

So basically, what doesn't work doesn't work, but what does work works better than any other Indy out there. So, you could spend $40 on 2 Hasbro versions that don't work trying to cobble together one that does, could spend $7-8 a pop on a metric ton of Indy 3.75" figures that don't work that well, $150 on a Medicom 12" Indy with its own set of issues and a lesser likeness and jacket and hat, untold hundreds on Toys McCoy's 12" Indy with its fat head... OR you could just drop $90 on SSC's version which is superior to those in many ways. So when it comes down to it, it's all about balance. And of course, if you order the SSC one they'll buy back minus shipping if you really hate it, or you could sell it on ebay and probably make a small profit. Aside from the googily eye-paint on the earlier 3-3/4" waves, I really do like Hasbro's basic figure line. There are few misses here and there (wish Marion was better) but I don't have any regrets with what I've bought so far, and continue to buy from this line. I think the sculpts are pretty damn good and I'm a little more forgiving about likenesses in that scale.

I don't mind Hasbro's 12" versions either, but I do care a little more about facial likeness at this scale. Hasbro's whip-cracking Indy has a pretty good likeness, but the talking one really blows. I bought them since I'm a completist with this line and I wanted the Ark mail-away as well. I just received Hasbro's 1/6-scale Ark in the mail today and think it's awesome.

But I've wanted a high-end 12" Indy action figure for some time but couldn't bring myself to spend the money on the Toys McCoy version. Sideshow's Indy is expensive, but it looks pretty decent and it sounds like the figure comes with lots of accessories between the alternate body parts and props. As long as the body isn't too fragile or fall apart I think I'll be happy with the purchase. Although it's probably meant to be a 'display rather than play' piece, I do expect durability at this price.

Nice shots! Should give him a beard to recreate the Young Indiana Jones episode that Harrison Ford guest-starred in. :p (his scenes took place in the snow) Your first photo there really brings it to reality. I was thinking the same thing when I saw jedibear's pics too -- "Wyoming 1950." I recently watched that Young Indy episode a week or so ago on an old VHS tape I unearthed in my parent's garage. All the figure needs is a scruffy beard with a touch of white and it'd pass for Indy from the episode.

sebillba
12-11-2008, 03:02 PM
I thought I would just check my pre-orders.... FP still shows an ETA of next Feb, but Play says it's in stock!!!! :D So I checked my account, I've been charged, and it's in packing!!!! :D :D :D I'm so excited!!!

JediTricks
12-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Good luck, hope you dig it. Don't cancel the other order till you get the first one though, just in case.

The new Prometheus body is durable in that I don't think you'll get permanent breakage the way the Buck often suffered. But parts will come off not that difficultly because it's a peg system, so you may have to put clear nail polish on the pegs to thicken them, or paper if you're not using the joint a lot.

sebillba
12-13-2008, 06:26 AM
Good luck, hope you dig it. Don't cancel the other order till you get the first one though, just in case.

I didn't... and guess what... the other one's also shipped now, so I've got two on the way to me!! I'd love to keep both, for different display options (with/without hat/jacket, etc), but that's just too extravagent, so I'll have to return one. I'll send it back to Play, as theirs was about £10 more than FP... of course, most of that saving will be eaten up by the return postage, but it'll be worth it to have the luxury of choosing the nicest one.

Ji'dai
12-13-2008, 06:31 PM
Received a shipping confirmation from Sideshow yesterday, so mine is on the way!

JediTricks
12-14-2008, 04:08 PM
I didn't... and guess what... the other one's also shipped now, so I've got two on the way to me!! I'd love to keep both, for different display options (with/without hat/jacket, etc), but that's just too extravagent, so I'll have to return one. I'll send it back to Play, as theirs was about £10 more than FP... of course, most of that saving will be eaten up by the return postage, but it'll be worth it to have the luxury of choosing the nicest one.Ha! Perfect timing, :p hope you can foot the bill for those. Could sell it to someone locally, let them reap the benefit instead and save you shipping costs.

Congrats!

sebillba
12-15-2008, 02:24 PM
First one arrived today - it's supposed to be for Christmas, but seeing as I'll probably have to return one, I was allowed to have a sneaky peek.... and from what I've seen so far, I absolutely love it!! :love:

All of my concerns have been put to rest, the deco is superb... in some pics I've seen it looks like the beard was drawn on with a felt-tip pen by a 4 year old, but both of my heads look amazing! And while he's a little loose, especially the waist, it's not horrendously floppy - it actually feels kind of natural, and I think he'll stand and pose ok.

That's as much as I've checked so far, my partner kept telling me not to look too much, so with a great wrench, I put Indy back in his box. Now I really can't wait for Christmas to arrive, and if my second Indy is as nice as this one, I'll have trouble parting with either!

jedibear
12-15-2008, 08:41 PM
Congrats, sebillba...be sure and post some pics once you free Indy from his cardboard prison! :)

sebillba
12-16-2008, 07:44 AM
Sure thing. They'll be pretty lame compared to your pics, but I'll have fun trying! :D

JediTricks
12-18-2008, 06:42 PM
Glad you dig him, sorry you have to wait 10 days. :p

I know what you mean about the beard, the deco includes lines at the top that get accentuated in photography, but in person they don't stand out as badly.

sebillba
12-30-2008, 09:59 AM
Ok, I took a few pics today, not very good I'm afraid, but here you go anyway.....

(yeah, I know I should've taken his jacket off for the third photo, but I couldn't be bothered!)

sebillba
12-30-2008, 10:05 AM
Three more....

1) The evolution of Indy.... Kenner, Hasbro and Sideshow

2) ....not forgetting Talking Indy!

3) two more of my Christmas pressies - probably the best two from the Hasbro 12" range.

JediTricks
01-09-2009, 03:16 PM
Wow, that head-on shot of Indy looks really surprised, and his facial stubble paint looks like a fu man chu mustache. :p

Is the Hasbro swordsman really that out of scale to the Sideshow one? I'm surprised to see that.

Awesome photo of Indyfight! :thumbsup:

sebillba
01-09-2009, 04:00 PM
Wow, that head-on shot of Indy looks really surprised, and his facial stubble paint looks like a fu man chu mustache. :p

LOL, I see what you mean! Fortunately it's not so bad IRL.

Is the Hasbro swordsman really that out of scale to the Sideshow one? I'm surprised to see that.

Yup, S/S is taller than all the Hasbros I have, and the Swordsman is the shortest of all of them... not sure why, maybe I've got him posed with his legs more splayed, but I'm sure I've read elsewhere that he's shorter than the others.

Awesome photo of Indyfight! :thumbsup:

Thanks! :D

jedibear
01-09-2009, 06:01 PM
Fun stuff, sebillba...

Especially love the "progression" shot of the different Indy figures. The one with the 10-gallon hat is a riot.

That Hasbro Ciaro Swordsman is going for clearnace at our local TRU right now....maybe I'll pick it up and try some shots of my own...

JediTricks
01-09-2009, 06:40 PM
LOL, I see what you mean! Fortunately it's not so bad IRL.Yeah, it's just the harsh flash I'll bet, I meant to say that before.

Yup, S/S is taller than all the Hasbros I have, and the Swordsman is the shortest of all of them... not sure why, maybe I've got him posed with his legs more splayed, but I'm sure I've read elsewhere that he's shorter than the others.Eh, what are you gonna do?

Thanks! :DTurn it into a stop-motion video. ;)

Man, Hasbro's Indy looks so tubby.

Ji'dai
02-13-2009, 07:47 PM
I got a shipping confirmation from Sideshow for the 12" Belloq with Peruvian idol display. Should arrive early next week.

I put myself on the wait list for the exclusive version not thinking I'd get it, but it's on it's way! I registered for the exclusive Toht and Ark wait list the same time I ordered Belloq so hopefully I'll get that one too.

jedibear
02-24-2009, 10:14 PM
Just scored a decent deal on two of the recent offerings from Medicom of the Indiana Jones figures from KOTCS....Mutt Williams and Indiana Jones.

These are my first forays into Medicom. For the most part, I'm impressed, especially with Mutt. Great sculpt, great jacket, well-fitting jeans & T-shirt.
The body features really tight joints that help get the figure into some dynamic poses and still stand unassisted. He is extremely light on accessories (just an extra hand graping the sword and the Crystal Skull in a soviet letter-enblazened bag, but both of these are rendered well. It would have been nice to have an extra set of ungloved hands though.

Dr. Jones on the other hand is more of a mixed bag. The sculpt is okay, depending on the angle... but as it often happens with Sideshow's figures, it's undone a bit by the paint apps...the hair is way too dark and takes away from the attempt to show Jones at the appropriate age. The clothes are alright...but after being wow'd by Sideshow's Indiana Jones and the great fabric choices and tailoring, this oni comes across a little too doll-like with it's outfit. It's especially noticeable with the jacket's oversized silver zipper. The gun belt also suffers from not staying up on his waist. Whole this figure does feature some extra hands (one with the pistol attached to it) it also is a little slim on accessories...it has the same Crystal Skull as Mutt but without the bag. Indy also has a good base body that poses well.

The packaging is basic but handsome and features a list of artists responsible for the figure, a nice touch. Also, Medi seems to address the "hair" paint issue with a baggie positioned in the tray for the head to lay in during transit. No "hair" damage with these two.

While I like these two figures, they haven't lured me away from Sideshow...I still think for the most part that Sideshow has a little better presentation overall. Hopefully they will get the kinks out with their new Pro body and offer some more characters from the Indiana Jones adventures.

In the meantime, I'll just enjoy the heck out of these two figures from KOTCS...

jedibear
02-28-2009, 10:24 AM
Well, I futzed with KOTCS Indy a bit...just a re-dressing and a little padding and I think he's looking pretty cool...

The more I look at this figure, the more I like it.

sebillba
02-28-2009, 11:02 AM
Great pics as always JB. I got the Medi Indy (ROTLA) and Henry Sr a little while ago, and I love these figures - probably even more than the SS! I know they have their faults, but so does SS, and all the toy-like inaccuracies of the Medi (like oversized zips) really don't bother me too much... after all, I collect toys, so I don't mind if they look like toys - they don't have to be ultra-realistic miniaturised movie replicas for me to enjoy them. I don't know, the Medi Indy just seems to have a more playability fun factor for me... maybe it's all the extra accessories - the relics from each of the original adventures, the removable hat and boots, etc. Also, whilst SS has the better head sculpt, the paint apps let it down - the Medi paint apps are far superior.

(One thing I didn't like about the Medi Indy was the painted hands - an easy fix was to swap them with the spare Henry hands... though obviously this doesn't work out if I want him to hold his gun.)

jedibear
02-28-2009, 08:55 PM
Thanks, Sebillba.

That's cool to hear that Medi's ROTLA Indy comes with all of those accessories. I may try and pick up Henry Jones Sr. someday and I definitely want to check out Young Indy when he is released. In the meantime, here's some shots of the professor and the mechanic making an amazing discovery...

jedibear
03-01-2009, 11:02 AM
Another look at Indy...

(really enjoying this figure)

jedibear
03-01-2009, 07:41 PM
....and Henry Jones lll....

jedibear
04-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Well, Belloq and the idol Chamber popped up on second chance, so I relented and got them...
As usual for me...looks better "in person"...he did require some major futzing to get the clothes not looking like he slept in 'em. Looks like I got the same tight-fitting jacket that a lot of folks did. As soon as I got done taking a quick few shots(the first 2 shown), off into the cold water the clothes went....

After futzing him up a bit, I do think he's a pretty decent figure for what' basically a guy in a suit. I do wish the jacket was a bit bigger...it's still a little tight across the chest with the snap where it is. I think I will either move the snap or just take it off and let the jacket stay open for display. But I do like the choice of material here and the white shirt is good and crisp looking. The tie with the white thread pinching it at the neck was too bright so I took a blue sharpie and touched up the thread...doing that made a big difference I think...

The Pro body is okay...the joints are not super tight, but he stands unassisted. The only advantage I see with this character having the new body is the range of motion in his arms...when holding things, he can position his arms tighter to the body and look more natural.

I think the paint apps and sculpt are decent too. Freeman is not an easy subject for a sculptor to be sure, but he's in there. The face paint is pretty clean, but he does have that now traditional "too dark" hair...but since he's got the hat covering most of it, it looks okay...

I'm glad I broke down and got him. I'd like to see more characters from ROTA get made...we've got Toht on the horizon and another version of Jones later this year. I'm hoping there remains enough interest in the line to see more 1:6 scale figures from Sideshow for this series...

Now, here's some shots to have a look at...

jedibear
04-11-2009, 06:46 PM
...and that Idol environment....WOW!

What an amazing set piece to display Indy in...I love it!

sebillba
04-12-2009, 02:27 AM
Thanks for posting JB. I was planning to get Belloq, but kind of lost enthusiasm for him after seeing other in-hand pics... the likeness isn't there for me, the suit doesn't fit too well, and the tie is just cheap. Your photos look great though, I especially like your use of light and shadows in the middle pics. And the idol environment looks superb with Indy.

I'm still hoping to get Toht, though at £80, he'll have to come out really well. And now the 3.75" figures have ended, my overall interest in Indy collecting has waned somewhat, and I've gone back to being obsessed with SW (yeah, I know, I'm fickle!)... having said that, I got the Shanghai Chase Lego set for Easter, and had a ball putting it together yesterday!

Old Fossil
04-12-2009, 11:31 AM
From the images, Belloq's head sculpt resembles Donovan more than it does Belloq.

jedibear
04-12-2009, 05:29 PM
Interesting observation there Old Fossil...I'm seeing some Patrick McNee too.

Really enjoying displaying Indy with that pedestal...

Makes an impressive display...

JediTricks
04-17-2009, 04:12 PM
Well, Belloq and the idol Chamber popped up on second chance, so I relented and got them...
As usual for me...looks better "in person"...he did require some major futzing to get the clothes not looking like he slept in 'em. Looks like I got the same tight-fitting jacket that a lot of folks did. As soon as I got done taking a quick few shots(the first 2 shown), off into the cold water the clothes went....

After futzing him up a bit, I do think he's a pretty decent figure for what' basically a guy in a suit. I do wish the jacket was a bit bigger...it's still a little tight across the chest with the snap where it is. I think I will either move the snap or just take it off and let the jacket stay open for display. But I do like the choice of material here and the white shirt is good and crisp looking. The tie with the white thread pinching it at the neck was too bright so I took a blue sharpie and touched up the thread...doing that made a big difference I think...

The Pro body is okay...the joints are not super tight, but he stands unassisted. The only advantage I see with this character having the new body is the range of motion in his arms...when holding things, he can position his arms tighter to the body and look more natural.

I think the paint apps and sculpt are decent too. Freeman is not an easy subject for a sculptor to be sure, but he's in there. The face paint is pretty clean, but he does have that now traditional "too dark" hair...but since he's got the hat covering most of it, it looks okay...

I'm glad I broke down and got him. I'd like to see more characters from ROTA get made...we've got Toht on the horizon and another version of Jones later this year. I'm hoping there remains enough interest in the line to see more 1:6 scale figures from Sideshow for this series...

Now, here's some shots to have a look at...Wow, his head is HUGE! The scale looks like he's 4' 3". And the likeness is dubious IMO. Too bad about the outfit problems.

That photo of Indy with the pedestal though, that is rad. Does the center move and did it come with a boulder? ;)

Ji'dai
04-18-2009, 12:47 PM
The idol chamber environment is pretty cool. The pedestal itself is plastic, unfortunately. It's hollow, so it's fairly lightweight, but the injection hole is on the side of the pedestal. The hole on mine is relatively inconspicuous, you really have to be looking for it to see it. I've read that some people got ones that have really large holes or are easily spotted.

The arc of floor is polystone and I wish they'd just made an entire ring that went around the pedestal instead of just one section. I'd prefer the pedestal to have been made from polystone too, but it's still a nice piece.

JediTricks
04-18-2009, 07:04 PM
HOLLOW PLASTIC?!? That is pretty weak. I mean, I get it, but still, this is the company who keeps going on and on about how much more permanent and significant their Polystone items are than the plastic stuff out there, and this is the response?

I bet I buy this set with a Sideshow SDCC gift card come July. :p

Ji'dai
05-31-2009, 11:59 AM
Sideshow has unveiled a sneak peak at the new 12" Henry Jones Sr. (http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=6866) over on their site. Pre-ordering will begin on June 4.

sebillba
05-31-2009, 03:14 PM
I can pass on this as I already have the Medicom Henry. JB, did you get the S/S Toht? That's the only one I really want now.

jedibear
05-31-2009, 04:15 PM
Not yet. I ordered the exclusive version which has been delayed. Rumor has it the Ark wasn't up to par, hence the delay.

I will order Henry...didn't get the Medi one. Looking forward to more shots of him, hopefully before ordering day.

Finally saw some pics of the production version Medi Young Indy...wow. what a disaster! The paint apps look worse than any of Sideshow's lesser efforts and the outfit looked pretty sloppy too. Glad I didn't order that...

Jayspawn
05-31-2009, 08:44 PM
I'll order Henry for sure. I came so close to ordering the Medicom Henry -but was turned off by the complete lack of accessories. But this will be cheaper with accessories so I'm sold. SS will nail the likeness I'm sure.

Ji'dai
06-01-2009, 07:46 AM
Since I've bought all the other Sideshow Indy figures, I'll be getting Henry too. Still waiting on the exclusive Toht to ship.

Jayspawn
06-05-2009, 12:05 AM
Henry Jones is up for order! Only the Exclusive and its still available. Different than the Medicom version. Good accessories too. The exclusive accessory is the grail tablet.

Ji'dai
06-05-2009, 11:53 AM
I ordered one last night too. I have a feeling this one will sell out quickly. They've already got the low stock indicator up.

EDIT: The exclusive edition has sold out. The regular version (http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=3906&utm_source=listing-3906&utm_campaign=listing&utm_source=online) is up for order though.

JediTricks
06-25-2009, 08:51 PM
Nice likeness. I am not enough a fan of Senior to drop $90, but it's a good-looking figure.

Ji'dai
07-07-2009, 10:47 PM
I got this e-mail from Sideshow about the exclusive Toht:

>>>ESTIMATED ARRIVAL<<<
Of: Toht 12-inch Figure with Polystone Ark of the Covenant accessory – Sideshow Exclusive

Coming in: 20 – 25 Days

To: Sideshow U.S. warehouse

Est. ship weight (US): 9 lbs.

Est. dimensional weight

(Int’l orders & Oversized items): 13 lbs.

>>>UPDATE ORDER INFORMATION NOW<<<

Dear Valued Collector,

Thank you for your pre-order of the Toht 12-inch Figure with Polystone Ark of the Covenant accessory – Sideshow Exclusive (item #39091) from our Indiana Jones collection. We appreciate your patience in waiting for the arrival of this Limited Edition collectible, and would like to inform you that this item will be arriving in our Los Angeles warehouse in approximately 20–25 days.

Ji'dai
07-25-2009, 08:21 AM
Sideshow has the 12" KotCS version of Indy (https://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=39121) up for pre-order. The exclusive edition, which is priced at $175, comes with a refridgerator made from polystone and metal.

jedibear
07-25-2009, 04:12 PM
That KOTCS Indy looks light-years better than the medi one I picked up...plus, he's got a good group of accessories. I also like how the skull is cloudy inside instead of clear.

The refrigerator is an inspired exclusive, but...a bit much. I ordered it, but we'll how it goes as we get closer to release time...

The figure is a must for me though...

Did SirSteve grab any shots of this at the con?

Ji'dai
07-27-2009, 06:05 PM
I didn't see any pics of Indy stuff in SSG's coverage. Maybe he put some up over on ActionFigs.com.

I ordered the exclusive edition with the fridge, but I'm not as enthusiastic about KotCS stuff as I am original trilogy. I wish the fridge had removable shelves and some miniature grocery items in there would be cool.

I've read that Sideshow is going to be doing some things from Temple of Doom - dioramas or statuary. It's in one of the videos they posted on their site.

JediTricks
08-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Dang, I didn't even see this at the show, waaaaay too busy this year, I'm shocked I missed it, I thought I circled the whole booth.

That headsculpt is fugly, it's downright creepy and icky in the face and expression and coloring.

The fridge is a funny idea, but they're out of their minds to make it as a product.

Ji'dai
08-18-2009, 03:35 PM
I got a shipping confirmation on the exclusive Toht with Ark. Herr Toht should arrive on Friday.

jedibear
08-22-2009, 06:44 PM
Hope to see some images from folks of Toht...
Had to cancel that one for now...but hopefully I'll pick it up later.

Meanwhile, still enjoying Dr. Jones....

Ji'dai
08-22-2009, 10:20 PM
Those are some nice pics, jedibear! I received Toht Friday but haven't had a lot of free time so I haven't opened the figure yet. I did open and inspect the Ark. I took a few shots of the Sideshow Ark with Hasbro's version.

Ark vs. Ark - Front (flash on) (http://i26.tinypic.com/6srknp.jpg)

Ark vs. Ark - Front (flash off) (http://i32.tinypic.com/j5bmok.jpg)

Ark vs. Ark - Side (http://i27.tinypic.com/jqic1f.jpg)

Ark vs. Ark - Lids off (http://i28.tinypic.com/2w24ewl.jpg)

Ark vs. Ark - Lids off, top view (http://i28.tinypic.com/2d9bh9j.jpg)

Ark vs. Ark - Lids off, inside view (http://i30.tinypic.com/vdjz4h.jpg)

As you can see, Sideshow's Ark is larger than the Hasbro one. The SS version has a dull gold finish, so it doesn't have the luster of Hasbro's gilded vac-metal. Hasbro put sculpted sand in the bottom of their Ark; Sideshow's is empty. And as you would expect, the SS Ark is significantly heavier than Hasbro's plastic one. Even the lid has some heft to it.

JediTricks
08-23-2009, 01:22 AM
Hope to see some images from folks of Toht...
Had to cancel that one for now...but hopefully I'll pick it up later.

Meanwhile, still enjoying Dr. Jones....
<-- This is me, super jealous of your photos there. Badasssssss. The first one has such perfect scale too.

Those are some nice pics, jedibear! I received Toht Friday but haven't had a lot of free time so I haven't opened the figure yet. I did open and inspect the Ark. I took a few shots of the Sideshow Ark with Hasbro's version.

Ark vs. Ark - Front (flash on) (http://i26.tinypic.com/6srknp.jpg)

Ark vs. Ark - Front (flash off) (http://i32.tinypic.com/j5bmok.jpg)

Ark vs. Ark - Side (http://i27.tinypic.com/jqic1f.jpg)

Ark vs. Ark - Lids off (http://i28.tinypic.com/2w24ewl.jpg)

Ark vs. Ark - Lids off, top view (http://i28.tinypic.com/2d9bh9j.jpg)

Ark vs. Ark - Lids off, inside view (http://i30.tinypic.com/vdjz4h.jpg)

As you can see, Sideshow's Ark is larger than the Hasbro one. The SS version has a dull gold finish, so it doesn't have the luster of Hasbro's gilded vac-metal. Hasbro put sculpted sand in the bottom of their Ark; Sideshow's is empty. And as you would expect, the SS Ark is significantly heavier than Hasbro's plastic one. Even the lid has some heft to it.Nice comparison shots. I hate to say it, but I think I like Hasbro's more. I know it's all chrome over substance, but even the sand in the bottom kinda makes it more exciting. Now I wish I had gotten those Hasbro 12" figs on clearance.

The Sideshow one is a nicer sculpt and more accurate, but I'm weak for vac-metallized plastic. :p

jedibear
08-23-2009, 07:39 AM
JT...thanks for the compliments....yeah the photo gods were with me yesterday...I'm pretty pleased with those shots.

Ji'dai...Seeing them in the same conditions, side-by-side, I gotta agree with JT.

The Hasbro one gets the nod, and not just for the shiny finish. It just looks "right". The Sideshow one just looks like some cute "jewelry box" scaled knock-off as opposed to a scaled replica. The difference is pretty stunning.

What I'm left wondering is how Sideshow could have been so far off the mark?

Thanks for the excellent group of comp shots.

Ji'dai
08-23-2009, 08:47 AM
Nice comparison shots. I hate to say it, but I think I like Hasbro's more. I know it's all chrome over substance, but even the sand in the bottom kinda makes it more exciting. Now I wish I had gotten those Hasbro 12" figs on clearance.

The Sideshow one is a nicer sculpt and more accurate, but I'm weak for vac-metallized plastic. :p

The Hasbro one gets the nod, and not just for the shiny finish. It just looks "right". The Sideshow one just looks like some cute "jewelry box" scaled knock-off as opposed to a scaled replica. The difference is pretty stunning. Yeah, I have to agree on both counts. I was underwhelmed when I first opened Sideshow's Ark and set it up. The Hasbro version gets the job done and looks pretty good to boot. I was thinking the Hasbro Ark is a better value too, but I paid roughly the same ($90 = four $20 12" figures + $10 S&H) to acquire it as I did the Sideshow version.

Ji'dai
11-12-2009, 04:57 PM
According to Sideshow's recent Q&A, the 12" Indy line is going on hiatus after Henry Jones is released, which is shipping this week. I don't know how that impacts the 12" KotCS Indy (the exclusive edition comes with a fridge with a production run of only 600), which is due out first quarter 2010. I really wanted to see a female figure before the line is cancelled, preferably at least Marion.

Now that Sideshow are branching out into Temple Of Doom territory, can we expect to see a 1/6th TOD Indy soon? When things like PF’s and dioramas are announced, I always look for the 1/6th announcement. Since you have collaborated with Hot Toys with your armored figures, you could easily handle the visible articulation issue with the rope-bridge version by using one of their muscle bodies.

You’ll see a pause in the Indiana Jones 12-inch line after Henry Jones. Our development team is in the midst of evaluating TOD characters (including Indy) for production, including considerations like collaboration with Hot Toys for muscle bodies. It may take us some time to fully answer this question, but it is an active discussion.

In the meantime, we have some truly wonderful TOD Premium Format figures in development, and we’re eager to show you more. Stay tuned!

Jayspawn
11-13-2009, 07:48 PM
This news sucks! I was hoping SS would follow Henry with a strong character like Marion, Col. Vogel, Mutt or Mola Ram. Hopefully the line doesnt get forgotten.

Jayspawn
11-13-2009, 07:50 PM
btw, got my shipping notice for Henry. Should be here in a few days!

JediTricks
11-14-2009, 04:59 AM
I think they missed the timing on this line and there just isn't enough interest to justify such expensive figures in such economic times.

A muscle suit would be SO weird!

Jayspawn
11-14-2009, 12:26 PM
Its really too bad but it makes sense. Maybe they'll start again when the next Indy film goes into production. Would be the smart thing to do.

Ji'dai
11-14-2009, 01:08 PM
To be honest, I don't mind the 12" line going away. It's too expensive to collect them especially when you get hit by releases all at once. I've had two Indy orders ship this month, German Indy last week and now Henry will be arriving next week.

I'm more inclined to order the fertility idol prop replica now that I know the 12" line is probably finished for the time being.

Jay, did you get the Henry with the Grail Tablet?

Jayspawn
11-14-2009, 01:16 PM
Yes, I got the Exclusive. I don't want the line to dissapear because they're great figures and it would be a shame with so many characters to do. But I'm all for taking breaks on product lines because there's some other stuff I'd like to focus on for a while.

JediTricks
11-14-2009, 11:59 PM
Breaks in the line are poison to it though, as they lose the line's momentum, which is extremely important. Look at the Star Wars Hasbro line, it took a break for Indiana Jones and when it came back, it couldn't recover.

Jayspawn
11-19-2009, 11:00 AM
Received my Exclusive Henry last night. And I gotta tell ya that Sideshow hit this one out of the park! First off, the likeness of Connery is amazing. The features are spot on. Looks better in person. His hat and bow tie are plastic. I've heard of people switching out the tie for a cloth one. His hat is weathered perfectly with folds in the right places. His accessories are all weathered very well. His bag has leather straps about it and a nice handle. The grazil tablet is hollow but is detailed nicely. His hands are generic Sideshow hands -little detail, nothing special. But he comes with an xtra set of them.

All-in-all, fantastic figure. It is a shame of Sideshow to hold the line especially after a homerun like this.

Ji'dai
11-19-2009, 05:00 PM
My Henry with grail tablet arrived today. Haven't opened it yet, but the figure does have a great likeness. I don't know why they made the bowtie plastic.

Ji'dai
01-21-2010, 07:51 AM
I got a notice that the 12" KotCS Indy will be shipping sometime in the next few weeks. I ordered the exclusive version with the nuked refridgerator. The email said that the shipping weight was 19 pounds, which I had to double-check with the Sideshow website to make sure that was correct, which it is. The fridge is polystone and metal and is scaled with the figure so I guess it's possible.

jedibear
02-07-2010, 08:32 PM
Received my Exclusive Henry last night. And I gotta tell ya that Sideshow hit this one out of the park! ....It is a shame of Sideshow to hold the line especially after a homerun like this.

I couldn't agree more! Got Henry on second chamce myself last week and yes, he's one of Sideshow's best!

Looking forward to later this week when KOTCS Indy shows up...

Ji'dai
02-10-2010, 12:50 PM
My KotCS Indy and fridge is due to arrive on Monday.

The fertility idol is in stock but I haven't gotten a shipping notice yet. Though I only just ordered it last week from an online retailer.

jedibear
02-10-2010, 09:32 PM
Got KOTCS Indy today...

He needs a lot of futzing...my initial impressions are good...the sculpt is great and the paint apps, while a little sloppy with the beard n' stache, are light and effective. I like the expression...it's got some attitude.

After being a little spoiled by the generous offering of accessories with the first Indy, this one seems a little sparse. After watching a few scenes from the movie again I noticed a few more things that would've rounded him out nicely...Ox's note, the backpack (Peru trip) more hands, a blowdart pipe, a shovel, to name a few. But the mask, dagger and of course, Crystal Skull are good and well-rendered.

The clothes are a bit wonky,especially the jacket. I like the color, but I wish that Sideshow hadn't tacked down the collar...it makes it impossible to put the shoulder bag on the way he wore it in KOTCS. I gave the shirt and pants the water treatment after snapping these shots, so I'll see if that helps or not...pictures to follow...

While having another distinct version of Indy is good...I'm sad that this figure more than likely marks the end of the line...I was looking forward to a slow march of other Indy characters in this scale....ah, well.

jedibear
02-13-2010, 12:07 AM
....and here he is all futzed up...and as I expected, I really like him now...:)

Ji'dai
02-16-2010, 10:24 AM
I gave the shirt and pants the water treatment after snapping these shots, so I'll see if that helps or not...pictures to follow... The water treatment?

Nice pics, jedibear!

---

I received my 12” Sideshow KotCS Indy with refrigerator yesterday evening. If you've seen the movie, you know that Indy took refuge in a lead-lined fridge in order to survive an atomic bomb blast. Well, here is Sideshow's version of Indy's life-saving appliance.

For scale, I took a photo of the fridge with a Star Wars action figure:

The Fridge with Ice Cream Maker Guy
http://i50.tinypic.com/1zoz3o7.jpg

On the outside, the fridge doesn’t look like much. My first impression is that it really seems like some cheap jewelry/storage box you’d get at a dollar store. It’s really heavy though.

Exterior Views - Upright
http://i45.tinypic.com/jagaz5.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/2eaqjqw.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/2d1viw7.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/2095chy.jpg

The fridge does have feet. The bottom has the LFL copyright to show that it’s officially licensed product.

Exterior Views - Top/Bottom
http://i48.tinypic.com/4fyc2b.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/2vv1406.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/1620kz5.jpg

The interior is where the piece really shines. It looks fantastic. The refrigeration unit at the top is easily recognizable and the shelves in the door look just like they’re supposed to do. You could probably even put some miniature food containers in those door shelves.

Interior Views
http://i50.tinypic.com/mjpruq.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/2d9wv80.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/2e6789k.jpg

The door is secured by two hinges with four screws each. A magnet effectively keeps the door shut when closed.

Door Hinges
http://i45.tinypic.com/2a845ja.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/5y6khs.jpg
http://i46.tinypic.com/ncmqld.jpg

Is it worth it? Well, it depends on how fond you are of the fridge scene in the film. I like the scene personally. The fridge doesn’t look like much on the outside, but the interior is excellent. If you’re going to display Indy rolling out of the fridge then you’ll probably be happy with this piece.

jedibear
02-16-2010, 05:31 PM
The water treatment?

Nice pics, jedibear!

Thanks! What I mean by "water treatment" is removing the figure's clothes and soaking them in cold water....straightening them, pulling/smoothing out factory creases and wrinkles. fixing wonky collars/sleeves and the like. After straightening out the base figure's limbs (I've noticed the Pros always seem to have at least one limb, usually an arm, that is twisted around wrong) and redress the figure while the clothes are still wet, again pulling, straightening and smoothing out the outfit.

I think it helps then look a little better.

Your comprehensive photos of the fridge are great...and yes, the interior is really well-detailed. My only question on it is...it sure seems awfully blue! Don't rememebr it being quite so blue in the film. Thanks for the great look at it...

JediTricks
02-16-2010, 05:53 PM
Nice shots. The hinges are unacceptable IMO, they look really cheap and not at all accurate to a fridge like that. I can forgive the lack of detail on the outside, it was nuked, but those hinges are terrible.

Indy's head looks really big on that body, is that just the jacket sitting on the small shoulders or is it really the case? They did a good job with the likeness, he looks like a cranky old fart. :p

jedibear
02-16-2010, 07:30 PM
The head is a little big...but I think it's that awful neck design the pro has that adds to the appearance of a size discrepancy...I really miss the sculpted necks of the old Buck bodies.

Ji'dai
02-17-2010, 01:00 PM
Thanks! What I mean by "water treatment" is removing the figure's clothes and soaking them in cold water....straightening them, pulling/smoothing out factory creases and wrinkles. fixing wonky collars/sleeves and the like. After straightening out the base figure's limbs (I've noticed the Pros always seem to have at least one limb, usually an arm, that is twisted around wrong) and redress the figure while the clothes are still wet, again pulling, straightening and smoothing out the outfit. Okay. I may have to try it out to give the clothes a more lived-in look.

Your comprehensive photos of the fridge are great...and yes, the interior is really well-detailed. My only question on it is...it sure seems awfully blue! Don't rememebr it being quite so blue in the film. Thanks for the great look at it... No problem. I watched a clip of this scene on YouTube and the inside of the fridge is a powder-blue so Sideshow's version is pretty close.

Nice shots. The hinges are unacceptable IMO, they look really cheap and not at all accurate to a fridge like that. I can forgive the lack of detail on the outside, it was nuked, but those hinges are terrible. Agreed. Those hinges make it look like some cheap dollar-store jewelry box. They probably used those big hinges to support the weight of the door, which is polystone too. Had they made the door plastic it would've been lighter and they might've been able to use hinges that look like they belong on a vintage fridge and easily support the weight as well.

JediTricks
02-17-2010, 04:08 PM
At the VERY least, the hinge color should have matched the door.

That's too bad about the head size. I prefer the articulated necks, but if that's the cause of the inflated heads, I'm not for that. Especially since it also comes with a heavily increased pricetag.

jedibear
02-20-2010, 10:25 PM
I wish they'd go back to sculpted necks. Having the head tilt and move up/down is enough for me...I just hate the neck thing on the Pro!

jedibear
03-01-2010, 09:25 PM
here's a shot of the Sideshow KOTCS Indy with th Medicom Mutt Williams...

...I think they look fine together.

Jayspawn
03-01-2010, 09:51 PM
Nice pic jedibear! Think I'll pickup Mutt if I can fine him for a good price. Since I know Sideshow isnt doing him anytime soon.

Old Fossil
03-03-2010, 09:00 PM
Well after more than my usual inordinate amount of waffling, I bought the (non-exclusive) Henry Jones, Sr. tonight from an Ebay seller, for a little over a hundred dollars, shipped. Cheese and crackers, that's a lot of money.:shocked: I feel kinda numb. But after reading all the great reviews here and elsewhere, I decided that it would be worth it, or nearly so. I hope I'm right.

I don't plan on getting any of Sideshow's other IJ offerings, since none of the face sculpts on the others come near the quality of their work with Connery.

Old Fossil
03-12-2010, 03:22 PM
"Dad" arrived today. I was right, for once. The figure is totally worth the money. It's nothing short of extraordinary. I'm still a bit amazed at how good it is.

If I thought I wouldn't roll over and break it, I'd slip it into bed with me after the wife is asleep.:lipsrsealed:

I have issues.:yes:

Jayspawn
03-15-2010, 10:37 AM
Finally, I received Toht from Sideshow this week. Another great figure. I love the loads of accessories too.

Still on the fence about Medicom Mutt. I'm getting there.