PDA

View Full Version : SSG's Tri-Weekly Hasbro Q&A - December 5th

JediTricks
12-05-2008, 04:25 PM
The Thanksgiving holiday delay is over, giving way to Hasbro's answers to SSG questions for December 5th, 2008. Thanks again to Hasbro for the answers, to all the folks who sent in questions and especially those who voted on them. Here come Hasbro's answers.

Hasbro Q&A for the week of December 5th

SSG: You said in a recent answer that the Solo twins, while difficult to do because of limited visual references, were high on your wish list. Hypothetically speaking, if you were to make these long-request characters, which versions would you do? Young Jedi Knights (there's a good picture of them in the recent Jedi vs. Sith guide), NJO-era Jedi Knights (probably the most requested versions, and based on Japanese cover art which is probably the largest body of visual reference for these characters and was even used by the Official Site as its EU menu before the redesign) or Legacy of the Force-era (with the added advantage that an alternate head and lightsaber and removable cape would allow you to do Jacen and Caedus as one figure)?
Hasbro: If we did them, hypothetically speaking, it would be the New Jedi Order-era, based on the Japanese cover art. This would be the most solid selection for the exact reasons you have pointed out - prevalence and familiarity with the character images. If we ever did Caedus, it would have to be new sculpt since the NJO-version would not work for a retrofit.

SSG: With Sideshow having released a smashing diorama of the "Look Sir, Droids" scene, what are the chances of Hasbro doing a similar battle pack? It could include the escape pod (perhaps with the proper top hatch openable, or maybe the whole thing upsized) and an assortment of Sandroopers with a variety of pauldrons and accessories. Heck, if you threw in an updated dewback, you'd have quite the nifty ultimate battle pack. Any chance of that?
Hasbro: We have looked at this scene several times with the theme you suggested, but so far it hasn't made the cut for one reason or another. Maybe someday….

SSG: When collectors ask for the same stuff over and over again such as certain vehicles like the Cloud Car, large accessories like Jabba's dais, playsets and dioramas of scenes that are not action- or main-character-themed which Hasbro says they aren't likely to do because those areas are not seen as profitable in today's market, are there any NEW ideas swimming around the Star Wars team with an OT collector focus? Not talking about merely new figures or resculpts of unmade vintage figures, but something new in the 3.75" format that would excite collectors, especially OT-focused ones. Stuff like the nifty new Scramble on Yavin battle pack gets collectors jazzed up.
Hasbro: While we have looked at many different aspects of the Original Trilogy, the fact is that Kenner covered that ground extremely well, to the point where they even augmented the universe with many of their own original designs (Mini Rigs, the Imperial Transport, etc). Our focus for vintage collectors remains the still (in our opinion) large fertile ground of figures, vehicles, and creatures which have yet-to-be-updated over their vintage counterparts, along with the still numerous unmade characters from many scenes such as the Cantina, Jabba's Palace, Ewoks, and the line. Yet we do try to surprise by doing new things that we think are key to the OTC - like the recent Lars Homestead and Sarlacc pit sets that for the very first time create scenic display opportunities for these iconic scenes. We certainly hope that you enjoy these surprises as much as we get satisfaction from finding new ways to deliver OTC magic.

- - -

And our questions at CollectionStation.com (http://www.collectionstation.com/groups/view/Star-Wars/Official-Hasbro-Q-A-1252008_35):

- With the confirmation of 2X-7KPR - the last unmade droid from the sale of the droids scene - being released in '09 as another Jawa/droid 2-pack, how will this set be released? This is an ANH scene, you've confirmed that ESB will be the only source getting 2 waves in '09, and the '09 ANH wave already has a different Jawa/droid 2-pack, so where will Jawa/2X-7KPR fit into the overall? Will this be a running change repacked into another wave, or has a second ANH wave been slotted - and if the latter, what other figures will be in that 2nd ANH wave?
- In the past year, we've seen a lot of figures from the POTF2-era Expanded Universe line getting revisited one way or another. The Darktrooper was rereleased as a Fans Choice figure, while Mara Jade got an all-new sculpt in the Comics Packs line, and in that line we're also about to get an all-new Grand Admiral Thrawn, Dark Empire Clone Palpatine, DE Luke, and a new Kyle Katarn. That leaves just Dark Empire Leia, the Heir to the Empire Spacetrooper, and the Imperial Sentinel left to be done, will any of them be either reissued or resculpted any time soon to join their EU brethren? Was it a conscious choice to get all those other POTF2 EU figures rereleased, or just happenstance?
- Will Hasbro be modifying the existing or making a new Hyperspace Ring for the ROTS Eta-2 Jedi Starfighter? Will the existing Hyperspace Ring ever be sold by itself in other colors to go with existing Jedi Starfighters? With the Ring being featured in episodes of The Clone Wars for Plo Koon's and Anakin's Jedi Starfighters, and your confirmation that Hasbro's Clone Wars Jedi Starfighter will fit the existing Ring, will you be selling Anakin's and/or Plo's starfighters with their Hyperspace Rings as boxed sets to get the full product into kid and collector hands, taking advantage of the show's current momentum rather than waiting to double-dip down the road when interest has waned, a la the Ep 2 Obi-Wan Jedi Starfighter with Hyperspace Ring?

JediTricks
12-05-2008, 05:04 PM
Huh, so we're getting a second ANH wave in '09.

And either DE Leia, HTTE Spacetrooper, or the Imperial Sentinel is getting made; my guess is Leia since we just got other DE figs, but I'm hoping it's either of the others because she's bland and we have a similar fig already.

DarkJedi5
12-05-2008, 05:36 PM
It's too bad they feel the hyperspace rings wouldn't succeed on their own, I know I would buy one for every single Jedi starfighter I have assuming they came in the corresponding colors. I know they don't like to use HTS this way but I think it would be a great place to sell these. They could make up a few of the rings starting only in Obi-Wan's color scheme and sell them for almost whatever they wanted. If it worked, they could sell more in the other colors and if the kept doing well enough, resculpt for the Eta-2s. Oh well. It's really just hypothetical since it doesn't seem they'll ever do it. Which is really too bad because I've got all the Jedi Starfighters I could ever want and will not rebuy one just for the ring.

obi-dad
12-05-2008, 11:05 PM
I had 2 of my questions asked this week and was happy with one answer (another ANH wave in 2009 confirmed, though they failed to confirm even one more figure), but no real answer to my question about other new OTC ideas (except to pat themselves on the back).

Cool confirmation from RS: "As for the characters in Rebel Pilots #3, they will be John D. Brannon (Red 4, Battle of Yavin), Jake Farrell (as Green Squadron Commander, Battle of Endor), and from the EU will be Shira Brie."

and I can't seem to find it now, but somewhere Snowspeeder Luke was confirmed and no Carbonite Han for the 2nd ESB wave.

Oh yeah... and Han's Hideout was able to get the figure count confirmation: "The 2009 basic figure order looks like this: Spring consists of EpIV (8 figures), EpV (6 figures), and EpVI (8 figures). Fall will see four waves: EpIV (8 figures), EpI (6 figures), EpIII (6 figures), and EpV (6 figures) for a total of 48 figures. An 8th wave, the EU wave (6 figures), has slipped to be on-shelf right now around late Dec/early Jan" We already know the first 14 figures from the first two waves and a few others from Ep VI "The 2009 RotJ Wave. You've confimed a new Leia of some sort (Slave Girl perhaps), Palace Guard Wooof, an Ewok, and a new Malakili. How about a hint at the other two figures in the wave - will we be running around with one of the figures from that wave yelling, "It's a trap!" Or will one of the new figures want to take our AT-STs out for a drive?

** We will not be revealing any more specific characters from the EpVI wave right now - look for a full preview in an upcoming issue of Star Wars Insider. One note - it turns out that we will not be doing Wooof after all, and instead have made sure he's in the 2010 lineup. In his place is another Nikto guard."

bigbarada
12-06-2008, 02:14 AM
One note - it turns out that we will not be doing Wooof after all, and instead have made sure he's in the 2010 lineup. In his place is another Nikto guard."

Hmmmm.... That stinks, but let's hope the Nikto guard is either Vedain or a remake of the vintage Nikto.

Still crossing my fingers for Kithaba.:yes:

ChrisLyne
12-06-2008, 03:19 AM
Well based on the last Q+A it is safe to assume that we're getting the Solo twins in the EU wave. And based on this one they'll be NJO based on Japanese cover art.

BEST NEWS I've had from Hasbro in a LONG time!!!!

Role on 2010!!

Tycho
12-06-2008, 05:20 AM
Yes! I can't wait for my Jaina and Jacen figures. I'll be buying maybe 1/2 a dozen of them (each).

Why is Shira Brie coming in a Rebel Pilots Evolution set? Doesn't she become the Darksider Luminya? Well, I'll take a look at this set when it gets issued and see if I can use it after all.

DarkJedi5
12-06-2008, 01:39 PM
I looked into it on wookieepedia (so take from this what you will) and in the old Marvel comic line Shira Brie was aparently an imperial opperative who went under cover as a rebel pilot to frame Luke. She was found out and shot down and then recovered and reconstructed by Darth Vader to become Luminya.

bigbarada
12-06-2008, 02:55 PM
One note - it turns out that we will not be doing Wooof after all, and instead have made sure he's in the 2010 lineup. In his place is another Nikto guard."

I just remembered that, according to the silliness that is EU, both Klaatus and Niktos are referred to as "Nikto." So, could this mean that we are finally getting a Giran figure? :thumbsup:

Regardless, Giran, Vedain, or the vintage Nikto would all be welcome as far as I'm concerned. As long as it's not yet another remake of the vintage "Skiff Guard" Klaatu figure.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-06-2008, 09:18 PM
Well based on the last Q+A it is safe to assume that we're getting the Solo twins in the EU wave. And based on this one they'll be NJO based on Japanese cover art.

BEST NEWS I've had from Hasbro in a LONG time!!!!

Role on 2010!!
I don't think it's "safe" to assume anything just yet. Their language in these things can be vague and misleading.

ChrisLyne
12-07-2008, 04:52 AM
Ok we know we're getting 2 of; Jacen, Jaina, Anakin and Corran.

Jacen and Jaina have been more requested and have been recently rumored (along with Ben) for the EU wave and now Hasbro have said which source they would use rather than a vague "we'll see when we come to do them" answer.

It's not certain, but I'd say very likely at this point.

Tycho
12-07-2008, 09:16 AM
You know how they're coming out with Luke and Deena Shan in the Rebel Alliance covert-mission gear?

I wonder if Jaina and Jacen will use those bodies again (with robes or whatever added) to approximate the look of the twins on the cover of Crisis At Crystal Reef (Young Jedi Knights). I don't remember every Japanese New Jedi Order cover, but it's reasonable to think that Jaina and Jacen wore those "duty uniforms" during part of the Yuuzhan Vong War.

Anyway, if that's not the case, there's a good custom-figure opportunity anyway, once you have Jaina and Jacen's headsculpts (though using their relatives (Han, Leia, Padme, Anakin - darker hair) heads would probably work, too. There's a logical reason the twins would look like their parents / grandparents.

I'm actually now shifting my "worries" to whether we'll get enough Yuuzhan Vong - and of a great enough variety.

jediguy
12-07-2008, 12:09 PM
I just remembered that, according to the silliness that is EU, both Klaatus and Niktos are referred to as "Nikto." So, could this mean that we are finally getting a Giran figure? :thumbsup:

Regardless, Giran, Vedain, or the vintage Nikto would all be welcome as far as I'm concerned. As long as it's not yet another remake of the vintage "Skiff Guard" Klaatu figure.

here's hoping you are right!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-07-2008, 05:58 PM
The wave listing they gave to Han's Hideout states that there won't be an AOTC wave next year. I wonder when we'll see the Obi-Wan from the Evolutions set, then? I figured there was one from TPM, one from AOTC, and one from ANH (which is in wave 5).

Tycho
12-07-2008, 06:03 PM
I know. We really don't need a ROTS Obi-Wan - my Targets and Wal-Marts have a ton of him. (Good sculpt though - considering it starts with the 2005 Red Leader head sculpt).

Meanwhile:

TPM - surely
AOTC - very reasonable
CW - several versions are on pegs now
ROTS - available now
ANH - makes sense

ESB - ROTJ - a spirit Obi-Wan with softgoods like the TAC Anakin? - Possible but not something I want!

I want an AOTC version with a really good Ewan-headsculpt and hardshell Jedi Robes like the Naboo figures done for TPM (2nd version of Obi-Wan for Ep1).

SA that if possible. Or do a softgoods AOTC figure this way - with the new, improved headsculpt.

Hasbro must preserve the TRUE-ESSENCE of the MULLET!

JediTricks
12-08-2008, 05:45 PM
The wave listing they gave to Han's Hideout states that there won't be an AOTC wave next year. I wonder when we'll see the Obi-Wan from the Evolutions set, then? I figured there was one from TPM, one from AOTC, and one from ANH (which is in wave 5).Good point, on Sept 6th they told us that we were getting an AOTC wave:

SSG: Understanding that schedules are subject to change on these sorts of things, could Hasbro give us an idea of how many waves and figures are scheduled for the '09 line, and roughly how many figures are from each source?
Hasbro: There are currently eight Legacy waves scheduled for 2009, one from each movie with Empire getting a second late wave at the end of the year. There is one EU-focused wave. The EpIV and EpVI waves have eight new/refresh figures (and would come with Astro droids), and the rest have six new/refresh figures (and would come with protocol droids). In Clone Wars, there are about 36 new/refresh figures across 8 waves.
If you want to ask a question about that, feel free to post it in the voting thread. If we lost 2 waves from '09, that'd be shocking.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-08-2008, 06:38 PM
I'll go write it up right now.

DarkJedi5
12-08-2008, 06:55 PM
The wave listing they gave to Han's Hideout states that there won't be an AOTC wave next year. I wonder when we'll see the Obi-Wan from the Evolutions set, then? I figured there was one from TPM, one from AOTC, and one from ANH (which is in wave 5).

I have a hunch that we will see the AOTC Obi-Wan in the Target two packs that are coming this spring. They already told us it was how we were going to get the "refreshed" Coleman Trebor. Since that character is a Jedi from the Geonosis arena, I wonder if the two-pack series won't focus on that scene in some way.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-08-2008, 07:54 PM
I have a hunch that we will see the AOTC Obi-Wan in the Target two packs that are coming this spring. They already told us it was how we were going to get the "refreshed" Coleman Trebor. Since that character is a Jedi from the Geonosis arena, I wonder if the two-pack series won't focus on that scene in some way.
But I remember them saying that he would be an "anchor" to his wave, as the TPM and ANH figures also are. I thought as you did, though. I'm wondering what the two-packs will be.

DarkJedi5
12-08-2008, 07:58 PM
The only thing I can think is that they intended it to be a wave and then decided to basically give the wave to some retailer as an exclusive but by packing in generic clones or battle droids or something they'll get to charge us extra for figures that were, for the most part, already developed.