PDA

View Full Version : Rancor vs Luke Battle Pack?

Engineernerd
12-06-2008, 04:42 PM
Did I miss this?

Toywiz (Malaysian Site) (http://www.toywizard.net/star-wars-rancor-monster-jabbas-rancor-with-luke-skywalker/)

I figured this would be a next year thing.

bigbarada
12-06-2008, 04:59 PM
That Rancor looks sweet!:thumbsup:

Devo
12-06-2008, 05:05 PM
Is it being released as an Ultimate Battle Pack? I assumed it was a creature set. The final production better be of higher quality than current UBPs. I don't actually have any of the UBPs yet, just going on what I read.

bigbarada
12-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Is it being released as an Ultimate Battle Pack? I assumed it was a creature set. The final production better be of higher quality than current UBPs. I don't actually have any of the UBPs yet, just going on what I read.

They don't do creature sets anymore, but this is essentially the same thing with a different name.

It's based on this Rancor sculpt, which is actually pretty amazing looking:
http://www.rebelscum.com/tacBPrancorTFU.asp

The Luke looks to be just a rerelease of the crappy TAC figure, but that's to be expected.

TheDarthVader
12-06-2008, 09:48 PM
when is this coming out at Target?

DarkArtist
12-07-2008, 01:57 PM
so looking forward to getting on of these sets. missed out on the Force Unleashed Rancor set. I have the first Hasbro version with the so-so Luke but this Rancor seems far more superior to the first attempt.

DarkJedi5
12-08-2008, 09:36 AM
Skipped the TFU rancor mostly because I hadn't played the video game and didn't feel like I needed it. The whole time though I was hoping for just this sort of thing and now I'm stoked. I have the POTF2 rancor and it's ability to stand has decreased over time and it isn't all that great of a figure anyway. But this is awesome, this is fearsome, this is the rancor as it should be. I guess I also love SW creatures to begin with though. I know they did this one cause they already had the mould for the most part but maybe this opens the door for a redo on the dewback or the tauntaun? Hasbro confirmed we may see one of these redone soon....

JediTricks
12-08-2008, 08:28 PM
Dang, that looks good, better than the Hasbro official photo actually. Box pose is a little odd though.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-23-2009, 06:32 PM
I know people have gotten this online, but has anybody seen it in-store yet? I don't really feel like paying $12 shipping from the website . . .

DarkJedi5
02-23-2009, 06:40 PM
I did get mine online but have been keeping an eye open for it in the stores and I haven't seen it anywhere around me yet.

Devo
02-23-2009, 09:24 PM
Where is this available online? All i've seen is Target and they don't ship internationally.

DarkJedi5
02-23-2009, 09:47 PM
It's a Target exclusive so that's how I got mine, I don't know if there are any etailers who are selling it but they probably will at some point and for a huge mark-up.

Mirtez
02-24-2009, 10:38 AM
this is only going to be an ONLINE item. I asked at the local targets and they said they would not be getting any in... WHich bites, but will be getting mine in a couple of weeks...

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-24-2009, 12:31 PM
this is only going to be an ONLINE item. I asked at the local targets and they said they would not be getting any in... WHich bites, but will be getting mine in a couple of weeks...
I'm sure this is true because Target employees have a direct line to Hasbro and have never been wrong about anything. :p

El Chuxter
02-24-2009, 01:38 PM
I've been told on multiple occasions by Target employees that they didn't know anything about an exclusive that was currently listed as "online only" and likely wouldn't get it, then found whatever it was I was asking about in the same store within a week.

They're better customer service than Wal-Mart in that they try to help, but they still don't know what they're talking about 90% of the time.

TheDarthVader
02-24-2009, 03:54 PM
And.......a friend of mine who works at Target (thank you) told me that Target NEVER knows what they are going to get in on the next trucks. So that is in opposition to Mirtez who states that the Target employee said that they would not be getting any in stock. ??????

JediTricks
02-24-2009, 04:02 PM
Wow, how stupid would Target be if they forgot to put out a press release saying it was an online-only item???

mtriv73
02-24-2009, 05:11 PM
I seriously doubt it will be online only. The whole purpose for exclusives is to get you into their store so you pick up stuff like toothpaste and magazines that they actually make some money on. As overpriced as exclusives are, the stores still don't have that much of a mark-up on them to make it worthwhile to sell online only (TRU excepted). They have to pay more per unit because of low production runs so they pass the cost on to us.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-24-2009, 06:21 PM
If you look up hte item on their website, it says something like it will NOT be available in stores.

Take that with a grain of salt.

El Chuxter
02-24-2009, 06:30 PM
But the GIJoe Rattler and Conquest said the same thing when they were first released. And I challenge you to find a single Target in the US that doesn't have at least a half-dozen of them on shelves right now (more than three months later).

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-24-2009, 08:34 PM
And I'm pretty sure those Sarlacc and Christophsis sets were once said to be online only - and they're still in stores.

morpheus282
02-24-2009, 09:00 PM
I think I'll probably be run off the forums on a rail for this, but since it's the best deal I've gotten on a Star Wars product to date I've got to say something.

Here's the deal. Target and Amazon are somehow in bed together. I went to the Target website to order the rancor and it tells me I can sign in with my Amazon ID. So I figure WTF? Maybe I can buy from Amazon and get a better shipping rate. I go look it up, and there it is for $40 just like on Target's site. I've also got an Amazon credit card that earns rewards, and it occurs to me that I'm able to use some gift cards I've earned on the purchase. The details of the order are below.

Shipping Method: Standard Shipping
Shipping Preference:Group my items into as few shipments as possible
Subtotal of Items: $39.99
Shipping & Handling: $7.61
------
Total before tax: $47.60
Estimated Tax: $4.52
------
Total: $52.12
Gift Cards: -$50.00
------
Total for this Order: $2.12

Shipping estimate for these items: February 26, 2009
1"Star Wars: The Legacy Collection Action Figures - Jabba’s Rancor with Luke Skywalker"
Hasbro; Toy; $39.99

Yup, got the rancor for $2.12 shipped just for paying my bills with my credit card.

El Chuxter
02-24-2009, 09:17 PM
Yup, Target is affiliated with Amazon. Toys R Us and Borders used to be, but both severed ties within the last few years. I think Target just doesn't want to bother with competing online with Amazon.

darthbooger
02-24-2009, 09:36 PM
They have a ton of Sarlaacs on discount here at the local Target,but no Rancors with Luke. The first round of force unleashed rancors went on clearance for 9.00 and I missed it.:ninja::upset::ninja:

darthbooger
02-24-2009, 09:44 PM
OH CRAP! I just found out Target here is clearancing the BMF and AT-TEs for 55.00 and 35.00 because a pallet of em fell in the stock room and dented the boxes. Wheres my slingshot?:shocked::upset::upset:

morpheus282
02-24-2009, 09:49 PM
I only saw one Force Unleashed rancor, and it was full price. The sarlacc pit is still $54 here as well. I ended up getting the BMF for $85 for my daughter and the AT-TE for myself for $50.

Maybe if you bring that slingshot down here and shoot up a couple of sarlacc pits...

darthbooger
02-24-2009, 10:06 PM
Cant do that.It would be out of my jurisdiction.

Snowtrooper
02-24-2009, 11:30 PM
For those of you who are AAA members, you can get 10% off of your purchases. Someone over at RS said that you have to go through the AAA website and then to the Target website to make it work.

JediTricks
02-24-2009, 11:57 PM
There is a AAA discount, good call. $4 off ain't covering shipping, but it's a start. I may pull the trigger on this online after all.

Snowtrooper
02-25-2009, 10:48 PM
I don't think you'll be disappointed if you do. Its a definite improvement over the POTF2 version.

DarkJedi5
02-26-2009, 11:36 AM
I agree with snowtrooper. I mean, it's better in terms of detail, size, and my POTF2 Rancor couldn't stand very well and was always falling down so this is a huge improvement.

TheDarthVader
02-26-2009, 12:54 PM
I am 90% sure that I will be buying one soon. Can't pass this up...and, hey, he is from JABBA'S PALACE!!! Too sweet!

morpheus282
02-27-2009, 07:54 PM
The $2.12 rancor arrived today! I haven't opened it yet, but here's the verdict so far.

Luke is the same one from the TAC run, I think he even has the blaster burn on the back of his hand. No big surprise there.

The rancor is big. It's the same basic mold as the Felucia rancor, but it still looks bigger to me. Take that with a grain of salt because I only saw one TFU rancor in the wild and didn't buy it. (The blue paint just threw me off.) Lots of nice details on this one too. The manacle is a separate piece and includes a little piece of metal chain dangling from it. They even put a little metal earring on him. I'm not crazy about the coloring, it's just a little too light in some areas and too dark in others. It does look better than some of the online shots I've seen of it, but I think the coloration of the old late '90s version was a little better. The arms are jointed at the sholder, mid-bicep, and wrist, the legs at the hip and ball jointed ankles, and the jaw is hinged. And the kicker - bendy fingers on the right hand!

Coloring - 7/10
Scuplt - 10/10
Articulation - 9/10 (knees would have been nice)

It's probably worth the $40, but if I hadn't got such a deal on it I probably would have held out for a bit just becuase I'm cheap. The packaging is nice but was damaged a little in shipping, probaly C7 or so after being dropped a time or two. I'll probably open it later this weekend and sic it on my daughter's Anakin and Ahsoka. :D

TheDarthVader
03-02-2009, 07:03 PM
NEWS FLASH. The target website now shows this to be available online and IN STORE!!

I put my zip code in and no Target store around me has this in stock yet...but I shall be patient for now.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-02-2009, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the tip . . . even though it says it's "sold out" at every store near me, which probably just means they don't have it yet.

Blue2th
03-03-2009, 09:06 AM
I have to have this. I mean it's a new improved Jabba's Rancor for crisakes!
I was hoping to see it soon at Target, but not yet.
Getting impatient not finding it. May break down and order it. Was hoping to find a cherry window box first, because the shipping monkeys sure no how to mangle them. Not that big of a deal though.

TheDarthVader
03-03-2009, 09:44 PM
If someone finds this in the STORE, I wish to be informed immediately! I just want to be sure that I will PROBABLY be able to find this in store. Thanks!

Mad Slanted Powers
03-03-2009, 11:19 PM
I was going to ask where you find out if it is in store or not. Now I notice that it says not available in stores, so perhaps that is why the option is not there anymore.

bigduke6
03-04-2009, 08:20 PM
Got mine off of Amazon. Well worth, much better the previous version with the swollen cheeks.

TheDarthVader
03-05-2009, 11:07 AM
I was going to ask where you find out if it is in store or not. Now I notice that it says not available in stores, so perhaps that is why the option is not there anymore.

MrJabbaJohnL saw it! It was there!! It said available online and in store. What the hell? And now it is back to stating, "This item is available online, but is not available in stores." What the hell?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-05-2009, 01:51 PM
MrJabbaJohnL saw it! It was there!! It said available online and in store. What the hell? And now it is back to stating, "This item is available online, but is not available in stores." What the hell?
Yeah, that is weird. Pretty soon I might just bite the bullet and get it online . . . *grumble grumble* . . .

Mvader91
03-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Yeah, that is weird. Pretty soon I might just bite the bullet and get it online . . . *grumble grumble* . . .
They said "Watch This!":shocked:

TheDarthVader
03-05-2009, 07:08 PM
I just dropped $500 for lugs and tires for my old ford truck, so I might have to wait a bit before I pick this one up. But I am going to just order it online eventually. *sigh*

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-07-2009, 08:42 PM
My parents got it for me for my birthday! I have the TFU one too, but this one is FAR COOLER as the paint scheme is better and his sculpt looks much different too, especially in the face and hands.

I took a few pics of it for you folks and sorry about the flash reflection. It's dark in my room and if anything, the reflection lightens it up a bit.

TheDarthVader
03-07-2009, 10:22 PM
That figure is just...a work of art. When my income tax comes back, he will be mine!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-07-2009, 10:49 PM
So, wait . . . they got it in-store?

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-07-2009, 11:30 PM
So, wait . . . they got it in-store?

Nope, sorry forgot to mention they ordered it online; said it arrived in two days or so.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-07-2009, 11:49 PM
Nope, sorry forgot to mention they ordered it online; said it arrived in two days or so.
Damn . . . I thought we finally had a sighting . . . oh well!

TheDarthVader
03-16-2009, 11:26 AM
If anyone could find me, or already has, a target.com code for free shipping, please post it here. I will get the rancor before my taxes come back if I can find a free shipping code!!

sebillba
03-27-2009, 01:23 PM
Doesn't look like I'll be getting this... just read this reply from Hasbro, as part of their Q&A roundup:

"The goal is to have complete distribution, at least in the U.K. and Germany, for every item. Unfortunately, the reality is that this will not be possible, and the Rancor is one of those that has not been selected to be supported in Europe."

It'll be too expensive for me to buy direct from the States, so looks like I'll just have to make do with my POTF2 version. :cry:

I'm surprised TRU won't be getting it, as they had TFU version... maybe that one didn't sell, so they don't think the classic version will either.

Devo
03-27-2009, 08:02 PM
I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get this but I ordered it on BBTS last night - I find it very confusing having to look under ''Clone wars'' to find their latest OT stuff.

How come this thing looks so much bigger than the POTF2 in its in-package photos - yet on Rebelscums photo archive you can see its only slightly larger, if at all.

TheDarthVader
04-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Hey Devo, oh, it is DEFINITELY larger and larger by a decent margin. IIRC...correct me JabbaJohn if I am wrong.

I finally ordered one of these from Target.com. I will let you guys know what I think about the rancor when it arrives. I am actually excited about this one!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-08-2009, 09:57 PM
The RS photo archive is a pretty good indication. It feels bigger as well. I wonder if the arms are too long, but I don't really care.

I'm pretty close to buying this online, I think . . . I still would just rather find it in stores, but it looks like this is an online exclusive. Should I just bite the bullet and get it online?

Slicker
04-09-2009, 02:52 AM
I got my order from BBTS with this. Unfortunately I can't see it.

I'm pretty close to buying this online, I think . . . I still would just rather find it in stores, but it looks like this is an online exclusive. Should I just bite the bullet and get it online?And if I may reply to this with a quote of yours...

This is why it's important to get it at full price when it's out the first time . . . it might not make it to clearance near you and it also shows Hasbro and the retailers that we want these ships and are willing to pay for them.

Eat it. ;)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-09-2009, 03:03 AM
Oh burn u got me gud bich lol

My quote didn't apply to over $10 in shipping. :p

sebillba
04-09-2009, 05:41 AM
The RS photo archive is a pretty good indication. It feels bigger as well. I wonder if the arms are too long, but I don't really care.

Have you got a link for this? I can't seem to find it in their photo archives.

DarkJedi5
04-09-2009, 09:10 AM
Couldn't find it either but they do a side by side comparison with the two other rancors (vintage and POTF2) with the Felucia rancor in the TAC section.

http://www.rebelscum.com/tacBPrancorTFU.asp

sebillba
04-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Thanks, I didn't bother looking at that one. It's definitely bigger than POTF2, but not impressive enough to make me want to drop a serious lot of cash on it... but then the paintjob probably detracts from it. The arms do seem out of proportion as well. Hasbro have already said it won't be released in the UK, and at the moment I can't say I'm too worried about not getting it - but when I see better comparison pics, I might change my mind.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Thanks, I didn't bother looking at that one. It's definitely bigger than POTF2, but not impressive enough to make me want to drop a serious lot of cash on it... but then the paintjob probably detracts from it. The arms do seem out of proportion as well. Hasbro have already said it won't be released in the UK, and at the moment I can't say I'm too worried about not getting it - but when I see better comparison pics, I might change my mind.
I think it's pretty much in scale, though, isn't it? Also, the paintjob looks better than the POTF2 one. I guess it's not too too much of a difference if you can't get it, then.

mtriv73
04-09-2009, 01:35 PM
I just ordered one from Amazon.com (through their affiliation with Target.) I ordered several other things directly from Amazon and something got screwed up on the order and I was only charged $5 for shipping (the Amazon stuff shipped free.) I'm definitely not complaining.

TheDarthVader
04-09-2009, 09:26 PM
JohnL, you know you want it. Just please get the damn thing already! I did! Why? Because Hasbro needs to know that we want big *cough* sail barge *cough* things related with *cough* properly scaled jabba *cough* jabba's palace.

Mad Slanted Powers
04-09-2009, 09:59 PM
JohnL, you know you want it. Just please get the damn thing already! I did! Why? Because Hasbro needs to know that we want big *cough* sail barge *cough* things related with *cough* properly scaled jabba *cough* jabba's palace.
You should see a doctor about that cough.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-09-2009, 10:21 PM
The peer pressure is killing me! :D

I'll get it in the next few days. I'm just saying, I would gladly smack down $40 plus tax for this sucker right now, but the fact that this isn't coming to brick and mortar stores is bizarre and the $12 shipping is a little much. Eh . . .

El Chuxter
04-09-2009, 11:03 PM
I'm still not swallowing the "online only" thing. Until it's come and gone and never went to a single store, I will be a disbeliever.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-10-2009, 12:06 AM
I'm still not swallowing the "online only" thing. Until it's come and gone and never went to a single store, I will be a disbeliever.
I couldn't believe it at first, but it seems like it would have been in at least a single store by now, I would think. I don't want to wait and see and then miss out on it completely, either.

TheDarthVader
04-10-2009, 12:57 PM
The online thing is true...but no one can know for sure. The sarlacc pack is showing that it is online only now...and we all know that is BS.

TheDarthVader
04-10-2009, 12:58 PM
You should see a doctor about that cough.

The only doctor that can help me know is Dr. Makeasailbarge...he's Asian. :D

pbarnard
04-13-2009, 08:09 AM
The peer pressure is killing me! :D

I'll get it in the next few days. I'm just saying, I would gladly smack down $40 plus tax for this sucker right now, but the fact that this isn't coming to brick and mortar stores is bizarre and the $12 shipping is a little much. Eh . . .

I couldn't believe it at first, but it seems like it would have been in at least a single store by now, I would think. I don't want to wait and see and then miss out on it completely, either.

Just in the case of Target, by discounting the Ultimate Battle Packs (finally), there should be shelf space available. Will the rancor's soon follow?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-15-2009, 06:04 PM
Well, if the Rancor comes to stores, it won't matter to me anymore . . . I just bought it on Target's site, so now you crybabies can rest easy. :D

Blue2th
04-15-2009, 08:56 PM
I'll be breaking down and getting it online myself. Kinda was hoping it would hit the stores but it doesn't look like it.
Though with the other Ultimate Battlepacks getting clearanced, maybe now?
Any other exclusives in the pipe for Target that might take up that vacated shelf space besides the Rancor vs Luke in the immediate future?

TheDarthVader
04-17-2009, 11:19 AM
I received my Rancor about four days ago and am just now writing about it.

here is a brief breakdown of my thoughts (some of these might seem bizarre):

weight 10/10 this thing is a behemoth...my ups box shows 6 lbs shipping weight

scale 10/10 perfectly proportional to the movie model (or at least good enough for me)

paint 10/10 not sure if da vinci could have painted this better

sculpt 9/10 one joint on the arm seems just slightly odd but overall, very nice for a big guy and by odd i mean that you can see it easily

inclusions -who cares! I guess the luke gets a 2/10 because we get another bone

Overall, if you have $50 that you have not spent on star wars because of the economy or not having enough OT stuff to spend money on, the rancor is worth every penny!!

JediTricks
04-18-2009, 05:22 PM
I'm thinking next time I have a little extra scratch (predicted to be sometime in the year 3000), I'm probably going to grab this through the Target website, they have a 10% AAA discount. Part of me thinks it's pointless to get another Rancor, but the POTF2 one could never stand well or do much, it had a good sculpt for its time but could be better now.

Devo
04-18-2009, 05:29 PM
I think the difference between this and the POTF2 rancor is big enough to justify getting the new one. The POTF2 is very much of that era, it looks cartoony, whereas the new one has much more modern sculpting and detailing - and not a shoddy balljoint neck or softgoods robe in sight to ruin it all!...well until you look at the Luke figure - my second of that abomination. Hopefully my last.

JediTricks
04-19-2009, 01:47 PM
Yeah, but it has ugly shoulder and ankle joints to make up for that. :p The arms seem too long to me, and in those pics, the POTF2 one doesn't look so bad. Really though, it's just that I can't examine it in person which is bugging me.

Devo
04-20-2009, 07:53 AM
Yeah, but it has ugly shoulder and ankle joints to make up for that. :p

Not at all. I don't have the figure in front of me and I'm too lazy to go picture hunting but surely I would have noticed this if it were the case. Or maybe I unconsciously have different standards for jointing on my beasts!...what a wierd sentence...

and in those pics, the POTF2 one doesn't look so bad..

Thats what I thought too but somehow having them both in person made it a night&day difference to me.

Jedireviewer
04-24-2009, 02:06 PM
This looks really cool! I would rather get this one more than tfu version:thumbsup:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-24-2009, 10:35 PM
Mine came in the mail a few days ago and I was able to open it today. It's really quite beautiful. The paint is fantastic; there's a really great wash over it that brings out the details. They added a metal earring and a plastic wrist link with metal chains. The right hand has a so-called "Rancor grip", essentially meaning it's supposed to be bendable, but I can only really move the second finger into place, which isn't terrible but kind of odd. Also, the shoulder joints in mine are a little stiff but getting looser with more movement. Luke is kind of redundant but he looks cool in the Rancor's hand (the left one, since I can't get the right one to close).

Anyway, I'm really glad to have this. It's definitely the best Rancor they've ever done.

Snowtrooper
04-24-2009, 11:17 PM
I had a bit of trouble with the shoulder joints too. At first it seems like they are on springs and I was afraid that I would twist them out of their sockets. But after fiddling with it, you can get them to move without too much problem.

mtriv73
04-26-2009, 09:05 AM
The only trouble I've had with mine is that my 20 month old son loves it. When it came in and I opened it he was a little skeptical about getting close to this big mean looking toy. Now he walks up and gives it a kiss whenever he goes by it.

DarkJedi5
04-26-2009, 10:46 AM
The only trouble I've had with mine is that my 20 month old son loves it. When it came in and I opened it he was a little skeptical about getting close to this big mean looking toy. Now he walks up and gives it a kiss whenever he goes by it.

Sounds like a little Rancor keeper in the making!

TheDarthVader
05-02-2009, 10:47 AM
Sounds like a little Rancor keeper in the making!

That was a good one. He shall henceforth be known as Malakili Junior!!

Bad news: Looks like the rancor has sold out!!

Mad Slanted Powers
05-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Bad news: Looks like the rancor has sold out!!Guess I got mine just in time. It arrived a couple days ago.

TheDarthVader
05-03-2009, 12:34 AM
Guess I got mine just in time. It arrived a couple days ago.

(english accent) Fine job in deed, governor. Good call.

Darth Jax
05-27-2009, 11:30 PM
found the rancor/luke set at target tonite so they are starting to hit the retail shelves.

darthbooger
05-28-2009, 01:11 AM
Found 2 of em at the local Target and wrote "Star Treks Lives!!!" on the window packaging with a black sharpie marker MWAHAHA!!!!! :twisted:.....nah they haven't got their shipment yet but hopefully soon.

JediTricks
05-28-2009, 03:18 PM
I've hit 5 different Targets here in LA, no sign of 'em.

Turbowars
05-29-2009, 12:28 AM
Target pulled a case out for me today. What was so cool is there was a kid looking at the SW figures as I was waiting for the stock dude to come out. I was thinking this kid will love the Rancor when he sees it. They brought out 2 and the kid freaked out and his mom bought it for him. It was cool to see how happy he was and that fact IT WAS AN OT ITEM!

darthbooger
05-29-2009, 07:51 AM
Yeah, I like to see the kids get this stuff first too, it is made for them.

pbarnard
06-03-2009, 06:17 PM
Saw it on the shelf. Sorry for the poor quality, camera phone.

Was on my bike, and can only do toy runs on the bike, so no dice if anyone asks for it (not to mention last trade here fell through).

Mvader91
06-03-2009, 06:22 PM
Saw it on the shelf. Sorry for the poor quality, camera phone.

Was on my bike, and can only do toy runs on the bike, so no dice if anyone asks for it (not to mention last trade here fell through).
I saw these yesterday. I received mine online. The ones in store look alot darker?:(

TheDarthVader
06-04-2009, 12:51 PM
Then if you want the darker one, buy one from the store and return your lighter one. :D

JediTricks
06-04-2009, 04:31 PM
I have spotted these at 2 different local Targets on the bottom shelf next to the endcap. They look cool, but are horribly timed for my money. I don't want to buy the white wash one, and luckily so far they've been the shiny one with the black wash.

El Chuxter
06-05-2009, 08:16 AM
I saw it yesterday. It looked like Hoth Rancor. The sculpt is awesome, but the paint job sucks butt.

DarkArtist
06-05-2009, 10:31 AM
found 2 today at my target in Milltown and walked away with one. can't wait to get it out of the box and set it up in a display.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Wait, what's the deal with the different versions? Can someone take (or direct me to) pictures?

TheDarthVader
06-07-2009, 10:04 PM
Sadly, I believe the different versions thing is true. I just happen to see one at my Target today, and the one in the store seemed to have darker paint than the one I purchased online. I will probably have to get both versions since I am a ROTJ alien freak. If I do, I will do a comparison picture. Until then...unless someone else comes up with some pics, I am not 100% sure. I am 90% sure though. :D

BIG EDIT. HERE YOU GO!!! DECIDE FOR YOURSELF. WHICH ONE DO YOU GUYS LIKE BETTER??????

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-07-2009, 11:06 PM
Thanks for the picture. That's interesting, but I like my Rancor just fine.

Snowtrooper
06-07-2009, 11:47 PM
Either one seems to be alright. But I've already got one and have no need to get another.

TheDarthVader
06-08-2009, 09:44 AM
Is one more movie accurate? The more I look at that picture, the more I like the lighter version better. It seems more movie accurate. I do not remember the rancor looking so dark in ROTJ.

darthbooger
06-08-2009, 10:21 AM
So what are you implying? That a darker Rancor is not as attractive, smart or socially acceptable as a lighter Rancor?!? Cant we all just get along man? Cant we? :cry::cry::cry:

Bosskman
06-11-2009, 05:24 AM
Had to get mine off ebay (I live in Canada afterall). It hasn't arrived yet. I can wait to see what version it is........

Snowtrooper
06-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Thought you all might get a laugh out of these pictures. Someone over on RS posted them. The Heineken on is my favorite.

Mad Slanted Powers
06-11-2009, 10:41 PM
"Oh my beloved ice cream bar!"

DarkArtist
06-12-2009, 07:21 AM
I have to say after opening the set last night I'm not a fan of the Rancors arms. the snap forward battle clash mechanism is a let down. would rather have had the movable arms from the POTF Rancor from years back. Maybe it's just me.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-12-2009, 04:14 PM
I have to say after opening the set last night I'm not a fan of the Rancors arms. the snap forward battle clash mechanism is a let down. would rather have had the movable arms from the POTF Rancor from years back. Maybe it's just me.
Is that what that is? I just thought it was ball-jointed shoulders that get stuck every once in a while.

Snowtrooper
06-13-2009, 02:15 PM

The arms do move up and down, but because of the tightness of the joint its hard to move without the plastic acting like a spring. This may sound a little silly, but on mine to get the arms to move up and down, you had to also move the arm side to side while gently turning the arm. It worked fo rme and I was able to get the arms into whatever position I wanted them to.

bigbarada
06-13-2009, 11:27 PM
I stopped by the Target in Edwardsville, IL today and found two of these sets for $39.99 each. I didn't pick one up because that's a little steep for me; but if someone wants one and can't find it, let me know, because I'm most likely going back down there at least once next week. I don't foresee them flying off the shelves at that price.

Or if you live in the area, it's just off of Illinois Highway 159

Bosskman
06-15-2009, 06:31 PM
Got my rancor. It's the dark shiney one.

JediTricks
06-16-2009, 05:37 PM
I don't think I'm going to be able to get this one. I'm running out of space, and it's a HUGE box, and it's $40 I just don't have right now. I want to, but the logistics are killing me, and with Target exclusives it's usually now or never, which means I don't stand a chance of getting one for my birthday at the end of August.

SplFrcsCWO
06-29-2009, 08:07 AM
I finally found these at my Target. They had two-- one dark and one light. At first I thought someone switched an older version and returned it in the new box but could find no signs of tampering. Perplexed, I broke down and checked this thread on my phone while in the store. After reading a few others have found both versions, too, I felt better and chose the darker version. Thanks guys!

TheDarthVader
06-29-2009, 10:20 AM
I have to admit it: I bought a newer darker version and returned my internet-purchased lighter version. The store version's paint job just looks better to me. That is my opinion though so take it lightly. I opened him up and WHOAH! I have Han Solo in his mouth right now; everyone notices him when they walk into my room.

bigbarada
07-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Well, I bit the bullet and purchased the Rancor today. I decided that Giran is going to need a Rancor to keep, since he's a Rancor Keeper; so I thought it would be a good idea to get the beast now so I don't have to worry about searching for him online in a few months.

I had a little trouble getting him to stand on his own at first, but after a little bit of work, he's supporting himself just fine. I think the ones I saw a few weeks ago were the lighter version and I wasn't too impressed with the paint washes. The ones they had today were much darker with more realistic looking paint apps. So it seems like they sold out and reordered them at some point.

I can't wait to get Giran and Malikili now and I'm hoping that Hasbro has a new Gamorrean Guard in the works because the current one looks pathetic next to this masterpiece.

All in all, one of the most impressive looking Star Wars toys in the history of Star Wars toys. :thumbsup:

AmanaMatt
07-31-2009, 09:44 PM
Saw the Rancor for the first time ever today, but at $49.99, I had to pass. Its really cool looking, just not $50 cool

JediTricks
07-31-2009, 09:44 PM
It's supposed to be $39.99, not $49.

lifeinabox
07-31-2009, 09:50 PM
It's supposed to be $39.99, not $49.
It used to be. Now $49 at Target near you.

AmanaMatt
08-02-2009, 12:31 AM

Yeah, two different Targets has this at $49.99

Target: kiss my backside. You aint getting crap out of me!

Blue2th
08-02-2009, 07:19 AM
I was in Target the other day eyeballin' these again. I even saw a couple of the light colored ones. I like the dark ones I decided.
Then I looked at the price and thought did these go up?
Well, they're already shelfwarming. I was going to get one at $39, but now I guess I'll just wait till a markdown.

TheDarthVader
08-02-2009, 11:01 AM
They mark it up, just to mark it down and call it a "sale". This is absurd.

AmanaMatt
08-02-2009, 01:33 PM
They mark it up, just to mark it down and call it a "sale". This is absurd.

Target's practices are questionable at times. Its not like anything Hasbro Star Wars related is worth money down the road....I'll just wait and get it loose off Ebay for $20-25

I tried to sell some of my Hasbro figures, and cant even break even, so I just donated old stuff I no longer want...just not a seller's market for stuff like that

JediTricks
08-02-2009, 02:01 PM

Yeah, two different Targets has this at $49.99

Target: kiss my backside. You aint getting crap out of me!Damn, that sucks. Target's been my #1 SW source the last few years, but their pricing shenanigans have been getting stupid lately and now this.

El Chuxter
08-06-2009, 06:52 PM
I passed on it entirely. I wanted it, but not at that price. Now it's gone. :(

bigbarada
08-06-2009, 06:57 PM
It's a shame that they raised the price, this really is an awesome set; but I don't think I would have bit at $50.

AmanaMatt
08-06-2009, 11:11 PM
It's a shame that they raised the price, this really is an awesome set; but I don't think I would have bit at $50.

Yeah, should have ordered it online when less....oh, well

Maradona
08-06-2009, 11:28 PM
I suspect Target raised the price in anticipation of the inevitable clearance. Expect to see this down to $24.48 before too long.

bigbarada
08-07-2009, 10:06 AM
Just went by Target today and they were up to $49.99, but there were two of them again. I know I left only one on the shelf when I bought mine a couple weeks ago. So that means that they are keeping them stocked, which I assume is a good sign. But I'm glad I bought mine when I did and didn't wait any longer. Is this the first time that Target has raised the price on an exclusive like this?

El Chuxter
08-07-2009, 11:16 AM
I can't say for certain that they've raised the prices on exclusives, but I know it's common to see pegs clogged with something, then they go on clearance to insanely cheap prices, get cleared out, and are replaced on the pegs in larger numbers than before at the original price or a dollar or two higher. The later Harry Potter & the Chamber of Secrets figures (sadly, the only decent and affordable Harry Potter figures ever made) were especially bad about this.

JediTricks
08-07-2009, 03:03 PM
I saw one at Culver City the other day that was still $39.99 on the shelf tag.

Qui-Long Gone
08-18-2009, 09:11 AM
My dream is that one day I'll be at some schmo's garage sale and his wife will make him give up this Rancor and I'll pick it up for 5 bucks...It's on every shelf here, but I can't throw down 40 dollars right now...unless the President shifts some of the wealth my way!

Blue2th
08-18-2009, 09:16 AM
My dream is that one day I'll be at some schmo's garage sale and his wife will make him give up this Rancor and I'll pick it up for 5 bucks...It's on every shelf here, but I can't throw down 40 dollars right now...unless the President shifts some of the wealth my way!
That was a month or so ago. It's $50 now.

sebillba
08-18-2009, 10:09 AM
Wish I had the option to buy this in store over here... $50 would just about cover the shipping if I went to ebay for it. :(

JediTricks
08-23-2009, 12:42 AM
I'm getting one for my birthday, and it's got the black wash rather than the white wash.

Turbowars
08-23-2009, 12:46 AM
I'm getting one for my birthday, and it's got the black wash rather than the white wash.You talking about people or a toy?:laugh:

JediTricks
08-23-2009, 12:59 AM
You talking about people or a toy?:laugh:
People aren't "it"s. :p

El Chuxter
12-27-2009, 01:03 AM
He's now $24.98 at Target. I verified this at three different stores, including the one where I finally bought one. :)

Blue2th
12-27-2009, 08:28 AM
All the ones I see left on the shelf are the lighter colored versions.
I bought a dark one at full pop a few months ago.
24.98 is a good price though if you don't have one. I doubt we'll see him again because of slow sales.

morpheus282
12-27-2009, 09:29 AM
He's now $24.98 at Target. I verified this at three different stores, including the one where I finally bought one. :)

I hope you remembered the $5 off $20 coupon. That makes this a killer buy.

El Chuxter
12-27-2009, 12:30 PM
What $5 off $20 coupon?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-27-2009, 01:46 PM
What $5 off $20 coupon?
I think there was one that was sometimes printed off randomly alongside the receipt at Target. I think my mom got one and probably used it for one of the umpteen Target exclusives this year.

El Chuxter
12-27-2009, 02:36 PM
Ah. The one I got was off a $75 purchase, and I used it for stocking stuffers about a week ago. :)

Mad Slanted Powers
12-27-2009, 05:12 PM
I had a card, I can't remember what it was from, for $5 off a $50 toy purchase. I got a couple Battle Packs and a Jawa on Saturday, but forgot to use it, so I went back in and they gave me a a regular $5 gift card.

morpheus282
12-27-2009, 06:11 PM
What $5 off $20 coupon?

Sorry, I thought everyone knew about it. On coupons.com there's a printable coupon for $5 off a $20 Star Wars purchase.