PDA

View Full Version : I "Flew" the Millenium Falcon Today!

jjreason
12-07-2008, 03:55 PM
There I was, cleaning up another mess left behind by my son, when the magic of Star Wars struck me for the first time in quite awhile. As I huffed over cleaning up a bunch of figures and accessories, shaking my head, I realized that I was actually packing them up into the back of his POTF2 era Millenium Falcon without even thinking about it. If you know the ship, you know it's basically the vintage Falcon with a few differences.

As I carried the Falcon up to his room, I fell back into my childhood habit of "flying" the ship from place to place and even added a sound effect or two of my own, just like I did way back when. lol :unstable: lol After a safe landing I came to the conclusion that THIS is the beauty of Star Wars: in spite of all the grumbling, complaining, nit-picking and arguing that I engage in here and elsewhere, this stuff STILL has the ability to take me back to 1982 from time to time.

This is why I'll never stop loving Star Wars, regardless of how silly certain elements of it become.

Oh, and sorry if this is too overtly positive for the Gen Dis area. Feel free to go back to your routine complaining. :D

El Chuxter
12-07-2008, 04:16 PM
Oh, and sorry if this is too overtly positive for the Gen Dis area. Feel free to go back to your routine complaining. :D
Your a dumbie!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: LOL! I got u good!! BURRRRRRRNNN!!!

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-07-2008, 06:36 PM
There I was, cleaning up another mess left behind by my son, when the magic of Star Wars struck me for the first time in quite awhile. As I huffed over cleaning up a bunch of figures and accessories, shaking my head, I realized that I was actually packing them up into the back of his POTF2 era Millenium Falcon without even thinking about it. If you know the ship, you know it's basically the vintage Falcon with a few differences.

As I carried the Falcon up to his room, I fell back into my childhood habit of "flying" the ship from place to place and even added a sound effect or two of my own, just like I did way back when. lol :unstable: lol After a safe landing I came to the conclusion that THIS is the beauty of Star Wars: in spite of all the grumbling, complaining, nit-picking and arguing that I engage in here and elsewhere, this stuff STILL has the ability to take me back to 1982 from time to time.

This is why I'll never stop loving Star Wars, regardless of how silly certain elements of it become.

JJ, when the men wearing white show up at your door, calmly go with them.

They will take you to a better place where you can "fly" with any vehicle of your mind's desire. The jacket they place on you, while not for comfort, will seriously assist their efforts, so do your best to comply as best you can in a calm and expeditious manner.

jjreason
12-07-2008, 07:23 PM
I'm all for bettering myself! They told me they want to help and I believe them! lol

Old Fossil
12-07-2008, 09:06 PM
Don't listen to LBC, jjreason. You keep on flying, man, fly forever!

(Just watch out for lamps.:()

CaptainSolo1138
12-07-2008, 10:26 PM
jj, I am totally going to agree with you. I have the same rare and fleeting moments that make me remember again why I have a bunch of plastic men on shelves.

Man. This thread is almost taking on an air of sentimentality. How long before some blow job shows up to end that?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-08-2008, 12:22 AM
I love those sorts of moments. Sometimes I wonder if I should just stop, looking at some of the idiotic EU crap. But, today I found all of the Clone Wars wave 3 figures, and I always love that feeling that goes along with finding new stuff in stores (especially a ton of stuff at once). I've also finally been sorting my Star Wars room, which will hopefully be closer to completed on Christmas break, and I love setting up the mini-dioramas and looking at the great stuff that's been produced over the last decade or so, all of which takes me back to different periods in time.

Slicker
12-08-2008, 03:34 AM
I'm definitely with you on that one JJL. When I would actually buy my own figures I'd love going into an aisle I just assumed was full of the same old and fine all of a new wave just sitting there freshly unpacked. :love:

JediTricks
12-08-2008, 08:41 PM
I find the CW Jedi Starfighter with animated R2 and Obi-Wan in it is very whooshable, it gets played with a lot when I have a second.

I've flown the BMF a few times since I got it in August, it's fun but unwieldy and the picking it up/putting it down gets annoying with the landing gear knocking off. I think I've only flown my OTC Falcon once or twice, despite it's awesome sound/light system. I had nowhere to put it so it went back in the box, while the BMF I bought it its own landing platform (a metal coffee table) and accessibility is everything.

This is why being a loose collector rules, if you want to play with your figures, you just pick 'em up and do it. Being a non-completist is another good way to go. But displaying hundreds of figures sucks even for a non-completist loose collector. :p

Tycho
12-09-2008, 01:55 AM
I like flying my Falcon, JJ. You're just like me! :thumbsup:

I used to be able to RUN with the 1979 mold when I was a kid, and pretend the ship was making the jump to lightspeed.

I'd set up different toys in every room of the house, and they'd represent the different planets. Then the Millennium Falcon would take the adventure there!

Today, I want to get a large home so I can do the same thing with my dioramas - each room being like a different planet.

Then maybe I'll fly my spaceships from room to room in the privacy of my own house.

DarkArtist
12-09-2008, 09:22 AM

ahh the joys of memories of being a kid again and the innocence that followed with it. i can remember always having to bring Luke's X-Wing everywhere i went and flying around from planet to planet blasting TIE Fighters and Imperial baddies (even in the grocery store far...far....away.)

today due to space i really cannot achieve this and at time it makes me sad. :cry: occasionaly i still fly the Shuttle around the apartment (as it's the only ship left unboxed. moving in April to a house so trying to pack the majority of things up now.)

i say relish these quiet moments of remembering the easier days of life and enjoy for even a brief moment being a kid again. it's one of the things i will always be thankful to Star Wars for, it makes me feel like a kid all over again.

Tycho
12-09-2008, 09:43 AM
The shuttle has its fans - that's for sure. I am always careful I don't loosen the wings too much by playing with it. I think in "protecting it" (I have the vintage and the modern re-release), I prevent myself from enjoying it.

"The old days" had the 2 other really large vehicles - the AT-AT and the Falcon - and I totally relate to JJReason's fondness for the Falcon. I always liked stuff that flew the best.

Today, my BMF is right in front of me, but it is large and hard "to fly," and just not as nostaglicaly familiar like the '95 Falcons.

That '95 (originally 1979) ship is one of the greatest toys ever made. It - along with the 1979 Death Star Playset - are the best Kenner had to offer and what started it all!

Jargo
12-11-2008, 03:15 PM
you all sound like you've given up. I think every grown man has a duty to awaken his inner child regularly and whoosh a spaceship round the room or have a fight with imaginary ray guns. I think it's absolutely positively the one thing we can do for ourselves to stop our minds stagnating and falling into the trap of getting old in the head as well as the body. it should be prescribed by doctors more than carpy pharmaceuticals. a daily dose of zzzzap! Whoosh!!!

DarkArtist
12-11-2008, 03:35 PM
you all sound like you've given up. I think every grown man has a duty to awaken his inner child regularly and whoosh a spaceship round the room or have a fight with imaginary ray guns. I think it's absolutely positively the one thing we can do for ourselves to stop our minds stagnating and falling into the trap of getting old in the head as well as the body. it should be prescribed by doctors more than carpy pharmaceuticals. a daily dose of zzzzap! Whoosh!!!

what no electric clash or hum of a lightsaber ??? no menacing Vader breathing as you walk around the office ??? no passing someone on the street and saying "May the Force Be with You ???" that's the medicine doctors need to be prescribing.

i will never give up, i'll always be a spitting image of my childhood self, relishing in the joys of being a kid and falling in love with one of the greates movies of all time. just think of me as Peter Pan.....what's that old TRU commercial theme song "I don't wanna grow up, I'm a Toy R Us kid, there's a million toys at Toys R Us that I can play with."

Tycho
12-11-2008, 04:22 PM
I'll lightsaber fight anyone here! (Master Replicas preferred)

I'll battle you with Hasbro vehicles, too - but I get to use Jango Fett's Slave-One from 2002!

And to top it all off - I buy Galactic Heroes - so now who wants to talk?

bobafrett
12-13-2008, 12:45 AM
I often think of myself as an X-Wing flying through the isles of my Wal-Mart pretending they are the death star trench, and I have my arms raised like the wings in attack position, firing my lasers at members of the evil imperial management team. Then I remember, I am a stormtrooper, and I would be attacking my own side, annd the arms go back down, and I look for somewhere to go lay in the fetal position.

Slicker
12-13-2008, 12:56 AM
I'll lightsaber fight anyone here! (Master Replicas preferred)

I'll battle you with Hasbro vehicles, too - but I get to use Jango Fett's Slave-One from 2002!

And to top it all off - I buy Galactic Heroes - so now who wants to talk?
I'll kick your as* at any battle! Including rap battles!

Tycho
12-13-2008, 01:48 AM
What the heck is a rap battle? My guess is that I don't know a lot of black people or I could be sure about how I'd answer that.

pbarnard
12-15-2008, 12:52 PM
The way my car's cruise control is built into the steering wheel, I like to pretend I'm flying a TIE Advanced. When I pass people I say, "I'm on the leader". I'm always on the look out for big freighters coming barreling down onto my tail (semis tailgating).