PDA

View Full Version : Aquariums......way off the point...but.....

PloKoon2385
02-20-2002, 12:02 AM
I was just wondering.......how many of you have aquariums? I just started up one that has been sitting there for several years..... All the fish died after a big power outage. I have four guppies (hold the laughter) right now.

jeddah
02-20-2002, 08:18 AM
I have 2 aquariums and a large pond; all coldwater (hate those tropical nancy fish :p ) UK indigenous fish

setup #1
5' x 2' x 18" containing one juvenile 12" Barbel (http://www.swinton54.freeserve.co.uk/species/barbel.html) and two juvenile 6"chub (http://www.swinton54.freeserve.co.uk/species/chub.html)

These grow very large and I will release them into the Dorset Stour (http://www.imagesofdorset.org.uk/Dorset/001/04.htm) when they get too big (the barbel will grow to about 18lbs and the Chub up to 12lbs)

setup #2
3'x18"x1' containing five juvenile perch (http://www.worldofangling.freeserve.co.uk/species/perch.htm) to which I feed worms and goldfish and guppies :( THey are very ballsy and have the personality of dogs! :D

pond
contains superlarge tench (http://www.swinton54.freeserve.co.uk/species/tench.html) and superlarge common and mirror carp (http://www.swinton54.freeserve.co.uk/species/carp.html) plus the damn Koi and goldfish my mum insists on putting in.

I used to keep a pike in the big tank by itself but sadly he got ill and died. I will be getting rid of my tanks and getting one massive one for my pike.

jeddah

LTBasker
02-20-2002, 02:11 PM
Anyone ever thought of putting buildings inside the aquarium and a Mon Cal officer in one just "peering out" and the main body to a vintage B-wing (since they don't go for alot) at the bottom of the tank so it could be like "Underwater Mon Calmari"? I'm sure the fish would have fun with that. :D

jeddah
02-20-2002, 02:36 PM
The problem with plastics in tanks is that the water quality can be compromised with the dyes and chemicals leaching out of the plastics. :(

jeddah

master jedi
02-20-2002, 02:49 PM
I don't have anaquarium but I do have 2 in-ground swimming pools and an in-ground hot tub.

There in a small fountain beside the hot tub. We put a hundred goldfish in it one year but the heat from the hot tub radiated over anf killed 'em all.

Rollo Tomassi
02-20-2002, 03:05 PM
The History of My Fish Tank by Rollo T.

About a year ago, we got two fish which we named Arco and Reyos. We had a simple fish bowl and they were quite content. My girlfriend decided she wanted more fish and boutght an aquarium and a third fish which she named Ms. Ackbar. Well, she doesn't know much about fish tanks so she fills it up with water and dumps all three fish into it. I come home from work about 2:00 in the morning to find the water so cloudy, i'm not even sure their are fish in it. Reyos and Ms. Ackbar are dead. Arco, for some unfathomable reason is thriving in the poisonous water, bobbing up to the surface (sucking air?) and generally thumbing his nose at death. My now distraught (after all, she just killed two fish) girlfriend reads the instructionson how to PROPERLY prepare the tank before putting any fish in it. Arco lives a quiet lonely life for a few months before we get Wedge named thus because he is bright orange and reminds me of the Rogue leader in his flight suit.

One morning, my daughter comes into our bedroom, climbs up on me and says "Arco got out of his cage." These words sort of filter through my skull one at a time, then I realize what she's talking about and leap out of bed. I find poor Arco lying on the carpet. I'm not really sure what to do with a dead fish so I scoop him up and drop him back in the fish tank. My eyes are playing tricks on me because it seems like his little tail is twitching. Then he twitches some more. Long story short, Acro laughs in the face of death for the second time in his life. It took a few days, but he was soon swimming around like nothing had happened.

In appreciation of Arco's invincibility, we got him another tank mate, Copper. Well summat weren't right with ol' Copper. The other fish kept their distance from him from the get go and he died a week later. So we waited a few more weeks and bought Tyger. Tyger took an instant liking to Arco and Wedge and all was well for quite awhile.

But it seems Wedge found he had a passion for leaping out of the water. We would be watching television and hear a loud KERPLUNK every now and then coming from the fish tank. I knew it was Wedge, but I didn't think he would have enough momentum to entirely clear the aquarium. Turns out, I was wrong. I came out one morning to find Wege lying on the table in front of the tank. I scooped him up and dropped him into the water figuring if it worked for Arco, it might work for Wedge. Well, it didn't. Wedge floundered for a few more days, but finally gave up the ghost.

Since losing this many fish in rapid succesion is semi-traumatic for our four year old. We have decided to not invest in any more fish for the time being.

Arco, the invincible wonder fish is still alive and has grown to about 6 inches.

So that's my aquarium post. Thanks for coming.:D :D :D

PloKoon2385
02-21-2002, 12:28 AM
Hey Rollo.......maybe you should cover the aquarium? That may work? Or maybe I am just crazy.:crazed:

jeddah
02-21-2002, 05:26 AM
Goldfish are the hardiest (and dirtiest) fish that are commonly kept. When fish leap out of the water, it’s not for fun or showing off :) it’s because the water quality has degraded to such a point that it is killin ‘em :( . In the US there is a gravel you can get called “ammo rocks” these will keep the ammonia and nitrites down and real plants will use the nitrates. Once the system kicks in, the fish’ll be fine for months. Ammonia is excreted from fish as a by-product of respiration and is highly toxic to fish. Good bacteria convert it to nitrites and denitrifying bacteria convert that into nitrate.

Re the hot tub…….it is unlikely that the fish died as a result of heat radiating unless it was really really hot, as goldfish are just as happy in hot tropicals and grow very large in this environment (faster metabolism means they can eat more). May have been due to the fact that water at higher temperatures cannot hold much oxygen so you need to really pump a lot of air in….

jeddah

PloKoon2385
02-21-2002, 01:15 PM
Wow Jeddah you sure know a lot about fish and aquariums. How do you know so much? Do you have some or are you an expert? Cool.

jeddah
02-21-2002, 01:51 PM
Merci pour votre kindness Plokoon :)

....Just been keeping fish since I was a kid, I'm 30 in March so.....

Also, if you try to buy fish around here (Bournemouth, UK) the shops won't sell them to you without a water test of your tank which I think is :cool:

Incidentally, my fishkeeping days will soon be over as I'll be getting a coupla huskies soon and won't have the time to look after both

jeddah

PloKoon2385
02-23-2002, 08:49 PM
A couple of days ago, my guppy had many babies! I think it was about 30. I have them all in a little breeding net so they don't get eaten. Now I have to figure out what I am going to do with 37 guppies........:stupid:

Rollo Tomassi
02-24-2002, 09:11 AM
From this point on, the legend of Arco becomes the stuff of tall tales...

So I got home from work today and I'm walking across the parking lot when I notice a gleam on the pavement. I start to walk over to see what it is when a moving van careens around the corner, speeding right towards the shiny object. As I get closer, I realize it's Arco the wonder fish! I try to grab him in time, but I'm too late! The moving van runs over the tiny fish lying on the pavement. We wiggles around for a bit, then turns and bounces back into the apartment and flops into the tank. He's fine.:)

Back to the Admiral Ackbar in the tank. I don't have Ackbar, but I do have an Alien from the Alien Ressurection toyline in my fishtank. The boys were so fascinated by it when I had it standing next to the tank, they would crowd that side and stare at it all day. So I dropped it into the tank for them. They love it.

TeeEye7
02-25-2002, 07:55 AM
Rollo:

I think 'Arco' translated from an obscure slovakian dialect means 'Kevlar' ;)

Rollo Tomassi
02-25-2002, 08:44 AM
I was walking in the woods today (there's a small state park nearby) and heard a scuffle off to my left in the brush. I peeked through some dense foilage and saw ARCO getting mauled by a bear. The bear was scooping him up with his big paw and throwing him against treetrunks and stuff. I thought for sure he was a goner, but the little guy quickly came to, fashioned a bear trap out of some twigs and rubberband, left the bear hanging upside down from a tree and made his way safely back to his fish tank. He's fine.