PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever argued your way out of a ticket?

Darth Jax
12-08-2008, 07:57 AM
So i got a bogus speeding ticket the other day and have a date in traffic court upcoming. i was in a herd of other cars, had my cruise control set just over the speed limit and got singled out by a cop heading the other direction and written up for 25 over the limit. any help or ideas would be appreciated. while i don't mind getting a ticket, i do prefer to deserve it when it happens.

Rocketboy
12-08-2008, 08:57 AM
Hope the cop is a no-show.

I got a bogus speeding ticket once.

The cop claimed I was doing 15+ over the limit, which I know for a fact I wasn't, because I had been busted in the same spot about a year before and to this day still make sure I watch it in that spot.

Long story short: I fought it. I showed up and the cop didn't, so the Judge/Magistrate ruled in my favor.

mtriv73
12-08-2008, 04:34 PM
I've gotten 3 speeding tickets (all before I was 21) and fought them all in court. The difference was, I was actually guilty each time. I just asked the judge for leniency since technically there was never anything on my record and got out of all 3 tickets. Of course I had to take Drivers improvement training 3 times, but it was worth it. I don't know how this really applies to your case since you say you didn't do it. But friends of mine who fought them in court with similar stories never prevailed. Good luck with yours though.

El Chuxter
12-08-2008, 05:00 PM
No, but I once flashed my breasts and got out of a ticket.

The officer told me I should save the twenty bucks. I was going to spend it on paper towels, anyway.

Kidhuman
12-08-2008, 06:54 PM
Best bet is to hope for a no-show. Its hard with his word against yours. Also the Judge hears I didnt do it all the time. Hope you have a clean record and maybe you an barter it down to something that doesnt hurt your record. Offer the Judge a Shamwow, that might work

JediTricks
12-08-2008, 09:00 PM
I tried to argue my way out of a jaywalking ticket when I was a teen, I made my case even though I was very nervous, the judge let me explain myself, made it seem like I should just plead guilty (it wasn't my fault), then finally told me the cop didn't come in to contest it anyway so I was clear. Lame.

stillakid
12-10-2008, 12:38 AM
I was pulled over in Arizona once. Was doing slightly over the speed limit when I came over a rise and saw the cop sitting at the bottom. I stupidly hit my brakes and knew I was nailed even before he pulled out. I had about a mile to think about what to say.

I had just read a Maxim article about how to get out of tickets. When the officer peeked through the passenger window, I punted and told him that I had to go to the bathroom. He paused and I could see him looking around for a place for me to go. We were in the desert so there wasn't an abundant number of trees to duck behind.

I could see what he was thinking so I added, "I really have to sit down and I don't know where the next bathroom is."

He pondered that another moment. He said, "I'll give you a warning...and the next one is five miles up the road."

I made sure to stop at the next exit and actually went into the bathroom just in case he had called it ahead. whew!

I wasn't so lucky a few years later when TWO cops, who could have been doing a lot of practical good back near the freeway interchange, decided to instead lay in wait on a back road where just about nobody drove. They claimed that I didn't stop at the stop sign. I did, just not as long as they would've liked. They were going for their quota and with two cops sitting in the car, the odds that I could go to court and have neither of them show was pretty much nil. I was screwed. It cost me the ticket and the cost of traffic school to keep that off the record. Damn extortionists. Cops can be good, but this episode in my life showed how corrupt they really can be.

CaptainSolo1138
12-10-2008, 09:45 PM
I've never argued my way out of a ticket. However, I can say with much certainty that I was given a warning one time by virtue of having been on the way home from a Red Wings game. The cop asked me the final score and talked about the Wings chances in the playoffs with me for a minute before letting me go.

You know who could talk his way out of a speeding ticket? (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3254/2711616881_94fc5bc67e.jpg)

That dude could sell mustaches to state troopers, yo.

bobafrett
12-10-2008, 10:37 PM
I remember going on a first date with the girl who would be my first girlfriend. After we went on our date, we were driving around her town, and I made a right turn on red, and doing so looked up to see a "No Turn on Red" sign, this all happening right in front of the police station, as I look in my mirror to see an officer getting into his car. I couldn't talk my way out of the ticket, and when I went to court, I told the judge that I was on a first date, and he said "Your lucky you didn't get killed". I was like, "jerk".

Snowtrooper
12-10-2008, 11:29 PM
I've been pulled over twice in my life.

The first time was when i was on my way back to college. I drove a Buick LeSabre that would read slow on the speedometer. i knew it at the time, but I thought it was maybe by 5 mph. I set the cruise for slightly less than 55 thinking that should I ever get pulled over I'd get only a warning since it would be less than 5. Cop pulled me over and said he clocked me doing 69 mph. I tried to explain the speedometer, but he wasn't buying it. Set me back $110. What got me ****ed is that I was getting passed left and right. Where the hell was the cop then???

The second time was by the DOT. I was massively overweight on a truck, and I knew it. I tried to sneak it through town, but he was waiting for me. I tried to make excuses, but they were pretty flimsy and he threw the book at me. Cost me over $1000. I'm a little more careful now.

Cops hate me.

TeeEye7
12-11-2008, 12:56 AM
Cops hate me.

Nope. People call attention to themselves. That's what attracts the po-po.

Most folks just refuse to believe it.

Han: it's not my fault!

Mad Slanted Powers
12-11-2008, 08:17 PM
I've never been pulled over. I guess I have been lucky enough to make my mistakes when no one is around. On Thanksgiving, I unintentionally ran a red light. I was thinking ahead of which lane I wanted to be in and forgot about the red light I was approaching. There didn't appear to be one those cameras above the light either, otherwise I would have been worried about getting a ticket in the mail or something.