PDA

View Full Version : Bah Humbug!

Jargo
12-08-2008, 02:20 PM
So, straight to the point - who isn't going to or doesn't already (barring the fact that it's not your religion or you just came out of a coma and don't know anything), celebrate christmas?

don't want to know if you do but do want to hear from other scrooges in a completely non religious thread. No really. not the thread to talk about your faith. just want to know if you don't do christmas and feel good about that. :mad:

El Chuxter
12-08-2008, 02:56 PM
I doubt you'd be so blase about Boxing Day, Jargs. :)

I'll bet Vince Offer doesn't celebrate Christmas. He's a scientologist. Or he was, until they kicked him out. So he sued them. He sued the Mormons, too. He got them all to cry, then sold them ShamWows.

Jargo
12-08-2008, 05:10 PM
boxing day schmoxing day. tinsel and fairy lights, glitter and snow and wrapping paper and ribbony thingies and children singing and roasting chipmunks on an open BBQ be damned. I just can't do it. nothing about any of that presumed cheeriness appeals to me in any way whatsoever.

thank the self appointed guardians of puritanical censorship the autocensor edits out santas catchphrase laugh when typed.

I swear though if I see another commercial on tv telling me I have to buy people stuff or that I should overindulge in expensive food or drown in cheap alcohol I'll flip my lid and go on a killing spree. starting with ad men. and don't get me started on that perennially regurgitated cola company advert with the wagon and the lights and the vapid smiling people and fake snow. jingle jingle jingle my ****!

vent vent vent.......

I really ********* hate Bing Crosby.

JEDIpartner
12-15-2008, 08:36 AM
Bug humbah. :o

mabudonicus
12-15-2008, 08:52 AM
Right there with ya Bro. So many folks who pupport to love x-mas are total idiots this time of year due to all the stupid pressure they put on themselves, it's like a wedding that has to be PERFECT once a damn year.

I hate even going out in public for most of december cos I end up getting angry at not being able to just do what I normally do without getting bumped into or nearly run over simply walking in a store or crossing parking lots.

Only concession we make is due to the fact that a lot of our heathen buddies are in town for the holiday week/s and so on 24 December we have a stupid party and celebrate Lemmys birthday with lots of loud music and drinking- we DO exchange gifts of sorts but they have to be a Lemmy-style thing- like one buddy usually gets me a used video game that we will end up playing together anyways, or someone will get someone else a bottle o liquor and we'll end up sharing it with whoever comes by during the next while. Other things fit the bill too, like oddly appropriate nick-nacks. For instance (and he doesn't come here so it ain't a spoiler) this year our present to one of our dearest friends is no more than a photocopy, but it could only be obtained due to unique circumstances and will be used in some sort of project, and he will flip when he gets it since he doesn't even know it COULD exist, let alone that he will own it

:beard: Iso&Baws

Lemmy day Oyes

Jargo
12-15-2008, 10:12 AM
Y'know what i also hate? the fact that everywhere closes down. no post, no newspapers, no grocery stores, nothing. how dare anyone assume that you're a follower of their cult and actually WANT to participate in this annual mess. If it wasn't for our ethnic friends who have differing periods of celebratory brouhaha there would be nothing but a wasteland for two weeks solid.
Bank holidays. these are the institutions that effectively glue society together and keep it ticking over and they take holidays?! do they not give staff one day a week off anyway? the emergency services don't get holidays and they are just as important as the banks so why the flaming blue bols do banks get dispensation? it flat out sucks.
and another thing, all the christmas tv programmes. you don't see any other religion get masses of airtime devoted to them. It's just ridiculous and arrogantly presumptious that people will want to celebrate some outdated and highly suspicious innacurately represented cult event.
I mean fine, if religious types want to do their december thing go ahead. just don't make the rest of us suffer it. :smoker:

Blue2th
12-15-2008, 11:01 AM
Amen to all comments.

I hate this compulsery holiday season. Not only is it based on falsehood, but it has grown into a monster that consumes our time and money. What I really hate is Christmas frenzy starting before Thanksgiving (the most important holiday in my book)

I don't have to celebrate it, but I will dig out some old Star Wars or whatever toys and give them to my nieces and nephews. No they don't get the latest electronic gizmo or game system. It's more like I don't want to dissapoint the kids, even though it just perpetuates the folly. I don't want any gifts.

I'm going to do a sizable donation to Toys for Tots too this year also.

What I do like is celebrating Yule. It has more spirituality and meaning that has to do with the season than X-Mas. No materialism required.

bigbarada
12-15-2008, 04:40 PM
I'm not doing too much for Christmas this year, I haven't really been too big on the holiday since I was a kid and most of that was just wanting presents.

I do agree that it's a false holiday but probably not for the same reasons as everyone else. I believe in the historical event that it's intended to commemorate, but I don't believe that event took place on December 25th (most likely in September or October).

The holiday existed for centuries before Christ, and wasn't widely accepted by American Christians until the 19th century. So there is little spiritual significance and thus no real reason to celebrate.

Jargo
12-15-2008, 05:48 PM
Greed and gluttony. That's all christmas is about these days. reciprocal gifting for the sake of appearances. it's almost a fear with some people, not giving the biggest most expensive gift somehow makes people feel inferior. and because kids get caught in this social war they get greedy and expect the same and more time and time again and the whole thing just cycles round generation after generation. I swear there are people out there who believe it is their divine right to recieve gifts from all and sundry and not recieving a gift is somehow an insult to them. I wonder how they would enjoy recieving the traditional christmas gift of a small orange and a bag of nuts. Perhaps some people need reminding of the fact the season of goodwill is about giving to the less fortunate. and maybe those christians foisting their clearly 'non christian values' festival upon us will remember what the word hypocrite means.

Blue2th
12-15-2008, 06:13 PM
The Kinks know what Christmas is about. :grin:

Father Christmas lyrics:

When I was small I believed in santa claus
Though I knew it was my dad
And I would hang up my stocking at christmas
Open my presents and Id be glad

But the last time I played father christmas
I stood outside a department store
A gang of kids came over and mugged me
And knocked my reindeer to the floor

They said:
Father christmas, give us some money
Dont mess around with those silly toys.
Well beat you up if you dont hand it over
We want your bread so dont make us annoyed
Give all the toys to the little rich boys

Dont give my brother a steve austin outfit
Dont give my sister a cuddly toy
We dont want a jigsaw or monopoly money
We only want the real mccoy

Well beat you up if you make us annoyed
Dont mess around with those silly toys

But give my daddy a job cause he needs one
Hes got lots of mouths to feed
But if youve got one, Ill have a machine gun
So I can scare all the kids down the street

We got no time for your silly toys

Have yourself a merry merry christmas
Have yourself a good time
But remember the kids who got nothin
While youre drinkin down your wine

We got no time for your silly toys
We want your bread, so dont make us annoyed

Mad Slanted Powers
12-15-2008, 08:38 PM
I've never been much of a gift giver. As a kid it was all about what I was going to get for Christmas. As I got older I realized I shouldn't expect to get stuff. I've never got Christmas or birthday gifts for my nieces and nephews. I was only 10 when I first became an uncle, so I wasn't really in a position to buy gifts. As I got older, I just felt it was fair to be consistent and not get any of them anything, other than a bit of money when they graduated.

Once I actually had a job, I felt I should start getting something for my siblings. It's usually been gift cards. It seems my one brother and I had the same idea three years ago that we were just trading gift cards. I put together a gift bag of a variety of candy. The next year I did office supplies. Last year I did the candy thing again. I don't know what I'll do this year. I feel kind of guilty if I don't do anything. I guess that is the thing I dislike about Christmas. I shouldn't feel miserable at a time of year that is supposed to be a joyous occasion. One more thing Charlie Brown and I have in common.

Other than that, I actually like this time of year. There is just a certain feeling that sort of takes me back to when I was a kid, and I don't need to get gifts to feel it. Despite all the craziness, it is a time of year that can bring out the best in some people. Food banks, homeless shelters and other charities get more support. I just brought some food to work because they are collecting it for the food bank. If more people did stuff like this all year, then maybe the world would be a better place.

Tycho
12-16-2008, 02:00 AM
I don't let Christmas pressure me any more.

While I do prefer it to just be over with for many of the same reasons you all have posted, I don't panic to find gifts for everyone.

By contrast, I treat my friends well when I can do something for them, or purchase for them something that I think they'd want. Sometimes, the perfect gift for someone comes up when there's no occasion for it at all. I just buy it and give it. Actually, when someone is completely never expecting a gift, it makes a huge impact.

Now I am trying to get out Christmas cards. My first priority is to write a nice note in one for each of the people who care for me at dialysis. If someone brings you extra blankets or ice water upon your urgent demand, or helps you stretch out your cramped legs, you'd be amazed at how much you appreciate it. For all those little things, I need to express my grattitude. I think taking the time to hand-write specific messages to each medical employee might be very well liked. Beyond my finishing those, I'll start with the remaining cards I need to get into the mail.

Meanwhile, money's tight for everyone and that includes me. If the opposite were true, and I could take my time doing so, I'd send everyone a BMF or something. What I'd desire doing and what I can do realistically, are two different things though.

bigbarada
12-16-2008, 10:15 AM
I think my parents bought us Christmas gifts maybe 2 or 3 times while we were growing up (most of our presents came from grandparents, aunts and uncles). Thus, I've never really felt pressured to buy gifts for anybody and I would rather buy somebody a good gift that they can actually use rather than just some crap I found because I was under pressure to get them a gift and I ran out of time. So, in general, if I can't find the right gift for a person, then I just don't get them a gift at all.

Jargo
12-16-2008, 10:46 AM
Tycho has the right idea. random gifting is the best and if you want to do something special then birthdays are the days to go for. what better day to say how much you appreciate someone than on the day that's about celebrating them.

pbarnard
12-16-2008, 11:36 AM
Well once again retail confuses religous feast days...while gift giving is associated with Christmas, which I grant if one really wants to celebrate Christ's Mass it should be in june or july, it was the Epihpany (the story of the Magi/Wisemen/Kings) that is the actual gift giving tradition comes from. I mean, nothing says civil rights like furniture sales on MLK day, or discounted sweaters on Presidents days etc. So the fact retail would put a meaning on a day that doesn't exist isn't suprising.

Now that my brother and I have stable jobs/money, there is mild pressure on us to give some gifts to our parents and sister. It is also fun because my wife is from a totally non-religous society, china, we get to make it up as we go. So when we both feel like we want or don't want to do something, that's it.

Of course, I like trampling walmart employees just as much as the next mob, but the best revenge is bumping their "newer" car with my 15 year old one in the parking lot or just straight out keying the car of the idiot who shoved me in the toy aisle despite the knee brace and occasional use of a cane these days. :)

Jargo
12-16-2008, 12:37 PM
whether you believe it was the wise men or saint Nicholas who inspired the gift giving, it's all got out of hand and stupid.
suicide and divorce rates go through the roof at christmas and christmas parties result in a spate of unwanted pregnancies. is it worth it?

"you will have a good time whether you like it or not" is something I clearly remember being told on several christmas family get togethers. my own parents split up christmas 1974. I certainly didn't like that 'good time'.

pbarnard
12-16-2008, 12:48 PM
whether you beieve it was the wise men or saint Nicholas who inspired the gift giving, the fact is it's all got out of hand and stupid. And the fact that suicide and divorce rates go through the roof at christmas just reinforces that.

Well the wise men would've inspired St Nicholas, just because they're a few centuries apart (millenium or so). But is that because it is in the winter in the northern hemisphere and being trapped in doors in general is doing that? Suicide and divorce rates were always high in this time even before heavy comericalization.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-16-2008, 06:34 PM
Tycho has the right idea. random gifting is the best and if you want to do something special then birthdays are the days to go for. what better day to say how much you appreciate someone than on the day that's about celebrating them.

For me, birthdays were never as big a deal, at least in terms of gifts. After elementary school, about all I got for birthdays was a bit of money from my parents. I did get to have a friend stay over though. My birthday was always after school was out, so I never had to worry about people making a big deal about it at school.

I kind of like the Hobbit philosophy about birthdays. I'd prefer to use it as an opportunity to entertain others. Take some friends or family out to dinner and a fun activity, or stay in, order pizza and make a game night out of it. No gifts required, just their presence instead of presents.

Jargo
12-16-2008, 08:07 PM
making time to be with someone is a gift.

a couple of packs of Shamwow cleaners as advertised by the dashing hunk that is Vince Offer is an indication that someone thinks you're place looks and smells like a garbage tip.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-16-2008, 09:10 PM
making time to be with someone is a gift.

a couple of packs of Shamwow cleaners as advertised by the dashing hunk that is Vince Offer is an indication that someone thinks you're place looks and smells like a garbage tip.
And a Slap Chop is an indication that you're fat and need more salad in your diet.

As to this thread, I like Christmas. :cross-eye

Jargo
12-17-2008, 06:58 AM
get out this instant!