PDA

View Full Version : Clone Wars: Wild Space

Bel-Cam Jos
12-11-2008, 08:57 PM
I saw this one on various "coming soon" book lists, and thought it'd be a young adult book. But, at over 300 pages softcover (and a $15 cover price) and a small font size, it could be more "adult." It says it is "Inspired by the full-length animated feature Star Wars: The Clone Wars and the brand-new TV series," so it could be decent. What will determine its decent-ness? The word "Snips." :tired: I won't be able to get to this probably until the holidays. :(

OC47150
12-11-2008, 09:02 PM
I saw WS at Waldenbooks today, and it was in the regular science fiction section. I have a coupon (boy, I love coupons!) and plan to buy it in the next day or so. It will be my Christmas reading.

The $15 price tag and the number of pages did surprise me.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-27-2008, 10:08 AM
I'm about 1/3 through, and this one's good so far. Back to the fill-in-the-gaps style that SW EU began doing; excellent character fleshing-out, too.

OC47150
12-27-2008, 10:48 AM
I'm about halfway through it, and I agree: good character development. It's interesting to see relationships developed.

It's one of the more enjoyable SW novels I've read this year.

DarkArtist
12-30-2008, 11:43 AM
saw this on Sunday. might have to pick it up. just finished the novel of The Clone Wars movie and liked it. currently reading Republic Commando : Triple Zero

Bel-Cam Jos
12-31-2008, 10:10 AM
This was a great book. The last few EU have been pretty good: Wild Space, Millennium Falcon, Death Star (excellent); Rise & Fall: DV and O-WK, Coruscant Nights 1 & 2 (pretty good); any Legacy (sigh... can't win 'em all). I couldn't wait to get to the ending.

Possible spoilers ahead...

I'd said that the word "Skyguy" could make this a bad story, but that had actually a soothing, less-serious effect the times Ahsoka uttered it. This was a simple premise: tell us about a secret mission for Anakin and his Padawan, make it seem that Obi-Wan's injuries would make him the "other" less relevant tale, but have a LOTR: Fellowship style journey plot that had a fairly expected outcome, just uncertainty how it'd get there.

Palaptine's seething at the very end was a wise way to wrap it up. Every character was true to his/her established personality, but we learned more about each (Anakin's obsessive nature that will eventually blind him to reason and light, Padme's sense of duty that will eventually blind her to her husband's major faults, Obi-Wan's guilt that will eventually topple the Empire at his own sacrifice of life and "truth," Bail's powerful influence that will eventually result in his entire planet being the first Death Star victim, Yoda's reputation as the most powerful Jedi that will eventually blind all the Jedi from fairly obvious answers and solutions until it's too late).

OC47150
01-01-2009, 07:54 PM
I agree that this was a great story. One of the better SW stories I've read in the last year.

I found it interesting that the book's events worked around some of the cartoon episodes. The character development was excellent. We now know the beginnings of Bail and Obi-Wan's relationship.

Palpy was fleshed out nicely, too. Seeing Bail and Padme and the insufferable Jar Jar in the cafeteria was an interesting sequence.

I hope the next book is about Anakin and Ahsoka's new mission.

Darth Jax
01-14-2009, 02:37 PM
it was enjoyable, with the exception of the Sith palace.

Darth Jax
04-22-2009, 09:25 PM
so i just finished reading the jedi quest series and the final book takes place on Korriban - the planet where the Sith had their academy. i now find it strange that the Jedi are able to function normally on that planet, even within the former Sith Academy, yet Obi slowly withers away in Wild Space.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-12-2009, 11:50 PM
The second one, CW: No Prisoners (written by Karen Traviss), is now out, and on my shelf to be read soon.

Darth Jax
06-13-2009, 08:42 AM
In the effort to tie together all previous EU, one of the most annoying characters appears. The effect of said appearance on Ani & Ahsoka is pretty interesting though.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-14-2009, 09:59 AM
So as not to be a spoiler, DJ, I shan't mention that EU character. Chux may become ill over him/her/it. Even though Anakin didn't actually appear in most of the story, the themes were mainly directed at him. Specifically, how he could do the things he did in ROTS; now that's a good use of EU plots and situations.

Overall, it was a so-so book. I preferred the discussions from the "other" Jedi views to the action scenes. And just how old is Pellaeon anyway? Will he get the Anakin/ObiWan/Luke/Leia/BobaFett-are-younger-and/or-older-now treatment?

El Chuxter
06-14-2009, 11:27 PM
Waru? They finally acknowledged him in another book?

(I'm going to feel funny if that's the case!)

Bel-Cam Jos
06-15-2009, 10:13 AM
Waru? They finally acknowledged him in another book?

(I'm going to feel funny if that's the case!)I thought you might go that route! :D Nope, it's Callista, and we even learn her last name, too. Not really much of a spoiler, unless you know the background, then it explains how some of that came about.

I'd love to read another Waru story; maybe in a Tales or Infinities?

El Chuxter
06-15-2009, 12:15 PM
I'd love to read about the torrid affair between Callista and Waru.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-15-2009, 03:16 PM
I'd love to read about the torrid affair between Callista and Waru.Please list any plotlines as SPOILERS if you're gonna throw out statements like that! :upset: :p

BTW, "WARU" backwards is "U R A Double Eeww." Wow...