PDA

View Full Version : Fun Things To Do / Experience

Tycho
12-13-2008, 05:43 PM
I was looking at stuff I could do to have some fun when I'm basically living a life of convalescence.

I am not restricted in what I can do by too much. I can't go in the water (which sucks when you live by an ocean) and I tire easily and can't stay out and about for too long.

So there is a Haunted Tour of ghosts and paranormal activites in San Diego. You can go with a real-life ghost-hunter and tour historically haunted sites and old grave yards etc. I think it's a bus tour with some walking and such. It's like $30 per person. I could go and treat a friend.

Then there's the Birch Aquarium. That's self-explanatory. I have a season-pass for Sea World that I got when Slicker was visiting, and I later took BobaFrett. But it just turned cold and rainy here for a potential week of winter and I'd rather be in-doors. The aquarium might be kind of cool for a day.

Also, the Star Trek Exhibit is on-going at the Areospace Museum. I like the Las Vegas one and this is small-scale compared to that, but I can't really go to Las Vegas right now with my medical treatment (I just cancelled Las Vegas plans for New Year 2009 YESTERDAY because I'm going to be in the hospital). Anyway, by January, the Las Vegas Hilton is officially closing their Star Trek Experience. It's too bad because I liked drinking Cardassian Ale at Quark's. But I can get a local Trek time going with this thing in San Diego's Balboa Park.

For more money, and really appropriate for a date, there is a Mystery Dinner Theater where you solve a murder mystery and your servers portray the characters. I did this before with an old girlfriend and had a great time. I think it's about $60 a ticket or $120 for two. It might be fun to go again. I'm sure the mystery is different.

Then for a lot of bucks, there are flights over San Diego in WWI and WWII fighter planes. The bi-plane one is just a thrill ride. The stuff in the carrier based propeller planes (like Mustangs) from the WWII era include simulated combat missions. The most I could spend is like $1,000 (almost) to have a friend join me, both of us going up and flying with different pilots, to see "who can shoot who down." The single-person joy ride is like $200 though. I'm tossing this idea around versus buying a Sony Playstation 3 and a game or two. The PSIII will entertain me longer though.

An even bigger idea is a Catalina Island cruise. It takes about 90 minutes to float over to the California coastal island from out of Long Beach (where Deoxy lives). Then I can stay in a totel in Avalon - the only major town on the island - and go to restaurants and take hikes or walk along the beaches. I'm not sure if now is the time where I can get away to do something like that though.

Anyway, it's fun to look for stuff to do. What have you guys been considering?

sith_killer_99
12-13-2008, 06:23 PM
The old WWI and WWII fighter plane flight sounds like a BLAST!

There are indeed a lot of things to do. Personally, if I had the money I would take in some different cultures, I've never been to an Opera or the Symphony.

One of the things I enjoy about being in the military is travel. I lived in Northern VA for 2 1/2 years. I got to spend time in D.C. and even got to pass up watching Bill Clinton take the oath of office for the second time.;) I went rollerblading on the Mall, saw the changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown Soldier with the first ever female! Visited the eternal flame, saw the Vietnam war memorial, the Smithsonian air and space museum, visited the Capital, and sat with Abe Lincoln! lol

I lived in Hawaii for 4 years, I saw the Polynesian Culture Center, experience a luau, and even got married on the beach of the North Shore!

I would say, try to experience different cultures. You can do that without traveling too much. I'm sure California is a virtual mecca of cultural melding!

Try yoga, eat different foods, hang out, learn another language and use it! Most of all, just try to enjoy yourself!

JetsAndHeels
12-13-2008, 08:25 PM
I like visiting the local historical spots....not just the more popular ones, but also the ones that are kind of off the beaten path so to speak.

For instance, there is a house in the town 20 minutes east of here where George Washington stayed for one night. I have been there. Nothing extraordinary, but there is a marker and a sign out front.

I also go to Fort Branch each year in November. It is about an hour from here and sits on the Roanoke River. It is an old Confederate Fort that was never taken by the Union during the Civil War. Each November they have a reenactment and other festivities that I enjoy (I posted a few pics from that).

And it sounds kind of morbid, but there is alot of history to be found in graveyards. There are alot of old slave graveyards and things like that around here. In the next county over, there is a small patch of land on a farm that features the markers of 3 Revolutionary War soldiers.

Blue2th
12-13-2008, 10:04 PM
Man, so many cool things to do.

I wouldn't mind doing that flight in a WWII aircraft. Heck that USS. Midway (?) sounds like fun just being close to some of the Navy aircraft like you and Bobafret did.

I've been on that Catalina Island trip twice. Once when the boat was kinda slow, then on the high speed Catamaran ferry. It's a fun one day trip.

They used to have a amphibian airplane flight out there I wanted to check on sometime. I was thinking it was one of those old WWII era Grumman Goose floatplanes I saw in a brochure on Catalina.

Lots of cool old historical buildings there. Went on the glass bottom boat tour too.

Next time I want to go on a tour of the other parts of the island.

Tycho
12-13-2008, 10:07 PM
A glass bottom boat tour would be great. They're so much more wonderful in Hawaii or the Caribbean where you can actually see something though.

California's waters are murky much of the time.

Blue2th
12-13-2008, 10:16 PM
A glass bottom boat tour would be great. They're so much more wonderful in Hawaii or the Caribbean where you can actually see something though.

California's waters are murky much of the time.

Not out there, they are very clear, lots of cool looking fish swimming in that California kelp forrest. But then again that was 1992.

Slicker
12-13-2008, 10:33 PM
...just being close to some of the Navy aircraft like you and Bobafret did.

It's overrated. ;)

I'd definitely LOVE to go up in a Mustang. I'd also love to own one too but I'm no Tom Cruise.

Blue2th
12-13-2008, 10:58 PM
Yeah I can imagine. lol

I was thinking more along the lines of that WWII TBF- Avenger Torpedo Bomber they got there.