PDA

View Full Version : SS 1:6 Admiral Piett

sergiurusu
12-19-2008, 04:08 AM
Admiral Piett 12" figure

Exhaust Port
12-19-2008, 10:06 AM
Geez, they couldn't find a better screen shot to use as a background? Nothing like the back of some characters head to show off the accuracy of the figure. :)

Tycho
12-19-2008, 01:44 PM
No thanks. Too bad as well. I always liked Admiral Piett. I just don't have use for him in my collection. But I'm glad Piett fans can get him - and even get him autographed in those rare appearances by Kenneth Colley (spelling?)

Piett was a cool character to have in ESB and ROTJ and he played the role as a career military officer with dignity - and he was smart enough to respect Darth Vader and he knew that with the Sith Apprentice was where his loyalties should lie.

Vader never killed him because he knew Piett was competent and effective, and loyal. Piett was the model officer in Vader's eyes.

I also thought Piett was a good man. I don't doubt he'd never hesitate to follow an immoral order if it came from Vader, but generally speaking, he wasn't "a bad guy" who was sadistic or something.

Funny how in a post about a figure I will not be buying, Colley's portrayal of Admiral Piett made me go on writing about his virtues.

Jayspawn
12-20-2008, 12:45 AM
I'm totally getting this figure -assuming the final product is not horrendous. I've always been a big fan of Piett and glad he's getting his time in the sun. Wonder what Kenneth Colley's reaction would be? The background SS chose is funny -a scene right before he dies!

"Intensify forward fire power!!!"

JediTricks
12-20-2008, 12:50 AM
That's not just the back of him, that's the back of him pointing at an A-wing that's about to smash into his face. :p

I don't really see the likeness in that photo, but the lighting on the figure isn't working too well for it, very harsh. It may have a more accurate likeness in a different light. The hat ain't doing him any favors neither.

Me personally, this is an easy pass, I have no room for this in my world.

Jayspawn
12-20-2008, 12:56 AM
Piett's the coolest of the Imperial Officers so he gets to stand right next to Vader.

sergiurusu
12-20-2008, 04:34 AM
I'll be getting him for sure. I really love Imperials :thumbsup:

Blue2th
12-20-2008, 11:52 AM
I agree, that hat is not doing him any favors.
Why can't they make a cloth hat? Plenty of other companies make cloth hats for 12" figures. Though most are military.
I suppose it's too expensive, but it sure would look better.

I'm going to pass on this one.
Now if it was Veers in the same outfit, but with extras like armor and a helmet, holo Vader, I would be all over that.

Luuuuuuke
12-20-2008, 12:04 PM
That doesn't even look like him. He might as well be a generic officer.

sergiurusu
12-20-2008, 01:24 PM
Why can't they make a cloth hat? Plenty of other companies make cloth hats for 12" figures. Though most are military.
I suppose it's too expensive, but it sure would look better.

I'm going to pass on this one.
Now if it was Veers in the same outfit, but with extras like armor and a helmet, holo Vader, I would be all over that.

He will come with a cloth hat for sure, as did Commander Praji. Praji had 2 hats in the box: one made of plastic and one made of cloth.

Tycho
12-20-2008, 02:31 PM
That's a detail I never knew about Praj. He's not a figure I'd have ordered, but that's really cool of SideShow to provide 2 hats.

Know what would be cool (but obviously not cost-effective)? If Hasbro included figures like Jedi with both softgoods cloaks AND hard shell ones. They might even market a deluxe line that comes wtih 3 (three) clothing options, the other being a pre-posed hard-cloak like in TPM's Tatooine Duel (Qui-Gon and Maul), so you could buy the "ultimate figure" and display him how you want. Softgoods are still essential to seat figures in vehicles - the BMF and Royal Starship being prime examples. I think I should repost this in the Legacy line thread...

JediTricks
12-20-2008, 04:18 PM
I suppose it's too expensive, but it sure would look better.That's a good question, they have decent cut-n-sew, why can't they do this hat as fabric? It's a bit complex in the shape if you look at it, requires 2 folds, but I can't imagine that's a breaking point.

He will come with a cloth hat for sure, as did Commander Praji. Praji had 2 hats in the box: one made of plastic and one made of cloth.Huh, that's weird. And so he does: http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=2169
I see why they didn't go with that hat for photography, it's not really sharp enough to be the definitive look. Yeah, we'll get that hat with this figure, you're right.

Tycho
12-20-2008, 04:38 PM
I'm re-thinking about ordering this figure after-all.

Obviously I like Piett's character.

I'd display him with Hasbro Imperial figures: talking Emperor, 14" Vader, 12" Tarkin (Hasbro), 12" Royal Guard. I think I'd buy 1 more 12" Hasbro Royal Guard if I can get it on eBay or something.

Jayspawn
12-20-2008, 06:50 PM
I have to concur with sergiurusu. No reason that Piett wont have the extra cloth hat -which actually does look better, especially on Praji. I think the likeness is just fine. But I think perhaps the uniform is too dark a grey and thats whats throwing it off.

sergiurusu
12-21-2008, 02:22 AM
Talking about cloth. I never liked cloth or fabric on Hasbro 4" figures, they just look bad and don't flow naturally. With 1/6 figures there's another story, the cloth is a must, but for example I display my Praji with the plastic cap. On 1/4 Premium Format Cloth looks the best.

I just got the 12" Medicom RAH Royal Guard (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=37861) and I really like the metal thread they added to his cape, thus you can have action pose. The also added these threads on Darth Vader ROTJ and ROTS capes and I'm sure they did on Maul.

Jayspawn
12-27-2008, 07:01 PM
Interesting that you use the plastic cap for Praji. I use the cloth one. I was able to get the cloth to unfold and conform perfectly to his head for a good fit.

It'll be interesting to see more pics of Piett. I think the uniform needs a lighter grey to it.

jedibear
01-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Admiral Piett is up for order.
Cloth hat, black-gloved alternate hands, Pro body.

He looks good in the preview gallery....

Tycho
01-09-2009, 12:38 AM
Thanks. I had to order Admiral Piett. I wanted this figure. I don't think he was on my wish-list, but he might've been. I'll go check. But I don't really care. I wanted Piett either way.

sergiurusu
01-09-2009, 02:16 AM
I'm a huge Imperials fan so I'll be getting him. But something besides his face is off. And I agree, it wasn't really necessary to use Prometheus body on Piett and leave the Jedi (who can be posed in action) on Buck...

jedibear
01-09-2009, 09:56 PM
Oh. i don't know about that...we may not have seen Piett "in action" in the films, but it could be fun to set-up some "patrol" action type shots with other Imperials like his buddy Praji here.... :)

Tycho
08-18-2009, 11:05 AM
My Piett has shipped. He should arrive today.

Tycho
08-18-2009, 06:09 PM
So I just opened Piett (from the brown box).

He comes with a cloth and plastic hat - your choice as to which you prefer to use.

He also comes with 2 sets of hands: gloved and non-gloved.

Strangely, he includes a blaster similar to Han Solo's (but not the same model) and a Blastech blaster (stormtrooper issue) with working shoulder stock).

For a simpler figure, I'm quite pleased. The likeness to Kenneth Colley is very good, too.

He's missing Arvel Crynyd's A-Wing bi-secting his body though :D

sergiurusu
08-19-2009, 01:56 AM
Any pics please? :razz: Can't wait to get mine.

Jayspawn
08-26-2009, 11:21 AM
I'm hearing some great feedback on Piett. Gonna have to pick him up for sure.

sergiurusu
08-27-2009, 02:33 AM
I have him on pre-order at BBTS but they still have to get the figure in stock

jedibear
08-28-2009, 09:25 PM
The ill-fated Admiral landed up here this week...

I think he's pretty cool. I like the tailoring on the outfit...fits the pro real well this time.

It's cool having this version/color of the Imperial standard uniform on a figure...

It's not a "in-your-face" grand-slam of a figure, but it's a well done version of a prominent Imperial from the OT...a welcome addition to the ranks...

jedibear
08-29-2009, 10:59 PM
Here's some more shots of the Admiral...

JediTricks
09-02-2009, 02:25 PM
Cool pics. Poor Piett is so small next to Vader, he's gonna get it... and yet he never did. :p

I hadn't realized SSC went with the ROTJ version of his face, I thought it was the younger ESB face. Makes sense though, he's more an Admiral in ROTJ and the age helps define his head sculpt.

sergiurusu
09-03-2009, 01:28 AM
Cool pics indeed. Seems like a great figure.

sergiurusu
09-23-2009, 01:21 PM
Got SSC Admiral Piett, a nice figure and some of my SS Imperials displayed (still missing Stormtrooper Commander and Exclusive Stormtrooper from the photo)

Tycho
09-23-2009, 01:54 PM
That photo clearly demonstrates why Darth Vader is the finest!

Nice pic Seriurusu

sergiurusu
09-24-2009, 05:41 AM
Thanks Ty :)