PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye, Majel Barrett-Roddenberry

JediTricks
12-19-2008, 05:13 PM
Majel Barrett-Roddenberry, Star Trek actress, voice of the Enterprise computer, and wife of the late Gene Roddenberry, passed away yesterday at 76 years old after a battle with leukemia. Majel was truly one of the stewards of science fiction, always a true believer in the material, always giving her all for material most people thought was kids' junk, and watching out for the integrity of her husband's works both before and after his passing. It's too bad NBC couldn't believe in having both an alien crewmember and a female first officer the way Gene Roddenberry had originally shot the pilot for Star Trek, Majel was a committed actress who deserved meatier roles, and her later works proved she could absolutely carry them. She was extremely kind and very generous of spirit, she was like an aunt to all trekkies. I met her at a little Trek convention in the mid '80s when I was a kid, she was so nice and cared a great deal about this stuff, she ended up talking to my mom (also a Trekkie) for a couple hours there.

To me, it's never been Star Trek vs. Star Wars, there's always been room in my universe for both. When George Lucas was first conceiving of and writing Star Wars, he spent a lot of time watching Trek reruns, and held admiration for many of its storytelling styles and devices.

Majel's passing diminishes us all as science fiction fans, and her presence in sci-fi will be sorely missed.

pbarnard
12-19-2008, 05:25 PM
While I agree with everything she did as an actress, I hope she won't be remembered for trying to take the notes/concepts and trying to cash in on them (ie Earth Final Conflict and to a lesser degree with Andromeda). I wonder if they'll be a marathon/tribute some time on Sci-Fi of Next Generation or other shows where she'll be featured prominently.

JediTricks
12-19-2008, 05:40 PM
IMO, Earth: Final Conflict and Andromeda weren't about cash-ins (I can't imagine either making much money, they were syndicated shows with low ratings, I did watch them both tho') but about taking her husband's dreams and making them realities. EFC had something to say, and up until that awful last season it did a fascinating job of it. Andromeda was more an alternate spin on Trek, action-themed and focusing on the singular captain alone in the universe. But like with ST:TNG and beyond, I think Majel was just trying to look out for Gene's vision, doing the legwork he wasn't capable of doing. I didn't know there was a mindset out there that felt it was a moneygrab.

LTBasker
12-19-2008, 08:01 PM
I was incredibly saddened to hear about her death yesterday, she's always been great no matter what role she was in for the various Treks and in interviews. I'm glad we'll at least get to hear her voice one last time in the new Trek movie- I just wish we could have seen her in mother-in-law mode as Lwaxana Troi.

She will most definitely be missed.

jediguy
12-19-2008, 09:17 PM
how very sad

I always liked her, and I had no idea she was ill

I miss her already

Old Fossil
12-19-2008, 09:26 PM
Now I am sad. What a grand old dame, in the best sense.

Tycho
12-21-2008, 08:19 PM
I really liked her as Lwaxana Troi and her interaction with Marina Sirtis (Deanna Troi) was absolutely terrific. She also had great moments with Patrick Stewart (Picard) and Rene Abeurjenouis (Odo), not to mention the Ferengi.

Marina Sirtis felt as fond of her like she was Marina's real mom and I've heard they were close. That's one more person that will miss Majel profoundly.

JEDIpartner
12-23-2008, 03:51 PM
I'm quite sad still. :(