PDA

View Full Version : The Best Packaging Ever?

sith_killer_99
12-21-2008, 11:30 PM
Well, I just got to thinking, as I consider weeding through my collection there is one packaging collection from which I must have one of everything.

The Original Trilogy Collection, a.k.a. OTC.

I can't help myself, I love the packaging from this collection, it is hands down my favorite collection in the modern line.

So how about it, what is your favorite collection?

Mad Slanted Powers
12-22-2008, 02:24 AM
I would agree. Not just for the look, but for the fact that they fit together well when storing them. POTF2, POTJ and Episode I had varying bubble sizes that made it more difficult to store them nicely in a box. Saga 2002-2004 were good that way too (except for Ephant Mon), but I didn't like the look of the cards as much as the OTC look. I don't like the curved bubbles of ROTS and the current figures. TSC cards weren't quite as bad, and had a card design similar to OTC. I like the looks of the current cards better than the ROTS design.

bigbarada
12-22-2008, 02:46 AM
I'd have to pick the vintage "VOTC" packaging first and foremost. Plus, with all this talk about wasteful packaging creating too much trash, I think the tiny "coffin blisters" of the vintage style cards are really the best solution. The clamshells? Not so much. Hasbro could ditch that feature and I wouldn't complain at all.

As for truly modern package designs (not recreations), then I would have to agree that 2004's OTC collection was the best ever. Last year's 30th Anniversary collection comes in a close second, mainly because I really love the large character-specific artwork on each card.

I really hate the bullet-shaped packaging of the Ep3, Clone Wars and Legacy collections. I prefer my cards to be stackable.

bigbarada
12-22-2008, 02:52 AM
:doublepost:

LTBasker
12-22-2008, 04:53 AM
The OTC is the best visually - especially as a full set, however I have to go with the POTF2 packaging as all around best. It was attractive but simple, granted the bubble sizes changed but you could always put two packaged figures together and it practically kept the same width/length dimensions. They should really switch back to this as many figures being released today could fit in a standardized POTF2-style bubble quite easily.

What I find most annoying is that they solved the inability to stack problem with the TAC line...and destroyed the achievement completely with Legacy.

Blue2th
12-22-2008, 11:29 AM
VOTC is the best. OTC second. Pretty similar though, but I like the retro look and ease of storage.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-22-2008, 12:37 PM
Thanks, SK, for allowing me the opportunity to make a list (LISTS... :drool: ).
TOP TEN POST-1995 STAR WARS CARD PACKAGES:
10. Power of the Jedi
9. Shadows of the Empire
8. Clone Wars (either cartoon or "life-like" version)
7. Power of the Force2 (photographs, not "holograms" )
6. Revenge of the Sith
5. Episode I
4. Legacy/Clone Wars
3. Original Trilogy Collection
2. Original Trilogy Collection: Vintage
1. 30th Anniversary

El Chuxter
12-22-2008, 01:57 PM
It all goes in the trash, so I don't care. :) I do think POTJ was probably the best; it didn't look nicest, but the generic cards shaved off a bit of production costs, and it showed in the figures.

JediTricks
12-22-2008, 05:56 PM
TAC is probably my choice, despite my distaste for the elements and die-cutting. Ultimately, the big artworks offsetting the figure on the card works nicely, the shape has a modern Star Warsy feel, they crammed some big stuff into those bubbles, the bubbles were offset like the original vintage line but had room for poses and accessories, and the SW logo was prominent without overshadowing the art. Plus, it had good use of color and it showed off the nifty pack-in coins pretty well.

Nobody has love for TSC, despite it's attempt to modernize the classic vintage and OTC look.

Ji'dai
12-22-2008, 06:16 PM
VOTC.

That first set of 12 are the only carded figs I have on display. They represent both eras of my SW collecting days from vintage to modern. I didn't collect the line beyond that first set though.

I also have that Early Bird kit replica from 2005 on display. Nice vintage artwork on that thing.

Jargo
12-22-2008, 09:43 PM
Strangely, Episode 1 always catches my eye when i see a carded collection. generally though i don't even look at the packaging much. just what's in the blister. that's what i'm buying and the cardback is irrelevent.

bigbarada
12-22-2008, 09:55 PM
Nobody has love for TSC, despite it's attempt to modernize the classic vintage and OTC look.

I forgot all about the TSC line. The cards were pretty cool, but the rounded blisters drive me nuts.

sith_killer_99
12-22-2008, 10:30 PM
Thanks, SK, for allowing me the opportunity to make a list (LISTS... :drool: ).
TOP TEN POST-1995 STAR WARS CARD PACKAGES:

Indeed:

10. Revenge of the Sith
9. 30th Anniversary
8. The Saga Collection
7. Episode I
6. Shadows of the Empire
5. Power of the Force (OC)
4. Power of the Force (FF)
3. Power of the Force (CommTech)
2. Power of the Jedi
1. OTC/VOTC

My little top 10 list. I was a big fan of the POTJ collection!:thumbsup:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-23-2008, 12:13 AM
I've liked pretty much all of the packaging while they were available but am always ready to move on after a year or so. Though I'm not a huge fan of the wraparound bubbles, as seen on the ROTS, TSC, CW, and TLC figures. I thought TAC was doofy at first but it really grew on me and I loved the combination of a huge character picture and a huge space for accessories. But I would also love to see a return to much less plastic; only increase the bubble size when the figure calls for it.

JediTricks
12-23-2008, 08:32 PM
If the bubbles aren't a uniform size, it will make packing cases very difficult since stuff will either be too close together or have too much movement, both of those scenarios will lead to crushed and damaged product, which is also wasteful. The bubble and tray plastic is very thin, an extra bit here and there isn't a major addition to the materials.

Snowtrooper
12-23-2008, 09:58 PM
Here's my top 10:

1. VOTC
2. OTC
3. SAGA2
4. Thirtieth Anniversary
5. POTJ
6. POTF2
7. E1
8. ROTS
9. TLC/TCW
10. SAGA

Tycho
12-27-2008, 04:13 PM
Sith_Killer's right about the OTC (regular assortment) packaging.

I also love vintage with the picture of the character the figure is representing. That's always exciting.

But the OTC packaging which put the figure as the sole representative of that character, in the actual scene he's taken from, looked really awesome.

This collection is about loving being immersed in the fantasy. The OTC packaging actually achieves that. I don't need a large "Star Wars" sign on the card, or even the noble 1977-2007 anniversary label, which was classy.
The whole immersion thing works for me.

JediTricks
12-28-2008, 10:12 PM
Well, you're a diorama fan, so it's no surprise that you'd take the diorama packaging of the OTC over the others, although the TSC also had diorama packaging. I do like that element as well, but there's something more alive about the TAC packaging for me, the big nameplate, the coins, the beautiful art, the packaging poses that say "here's your figure and all its goodies!"

JetsAndHeels
12-28-2008, 10:44 PM
TAC would be my favorite, hands down.

It's just a more appealing design and it catches the eye.

Jargo
01-22-2009, 04:42 PM
mailaway white card boxes. definitely my favourite. no fuss. totally recyclable.