PDA

View Full Version : What Songs Were #1 When You Were Born?

Lord Malakite
12-24-2008, 02:55 PM
I found this little site (http://www.thisdayinmusic.com/birthdayno1) that will tell you what the number one songs were during the day of your birth, so I thought it might be fun to share. :D

Here are my number ones:

US - Jack & Diane - John Cougar
UK - Pass The Dutchie - Musical Youth
AUS - Eye Of The Tiger - Survivor

Beast
12-24-2008, 03:11 PM
Yay for songs I'm not familiar with. Well, except for Convoy.

US - December, 1963 (Oh, what a Night) - Four Seasons
UK - I Love To Love - Tina Charles
AUS - Convoy - C.W. McCall

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-24-2008, 03:59 PM
December 1, 1989
*US: Blame It On The Rain - Milli Vanilli
*UK: You Got It (The Right Stuff) - New Kids on the Block
*AUS: If I Could Turn Back Time - Cher

Wow, how crappy. :p

sith_killer_99
12-24-2008, 04:13 PM
Born
US - The Loco-Motion (Grand Funk)
UK - Waterloo (Abba)
AU - Seasons in the Sun (Terry Jacks)

Turned 16
Nothing Compares To You (Sinead O'Connor)

Turned 18
US - To Be with You (Mr. Big)

Turned 21
US - This Is How We Do It (Montell Jordan)

Got married
US - Amazed (Lonestar)

Daughter was born
US - U got it bad (Usher)

The day I deployed
US - What Goes Round Comes Around (Justin Timberlake)

The day I returned
US - Bleeding Love (Leona Lewis)

Today
US - Information is not available

TeeEye7
12-24-2008, 04:14 PM
Gee, thanks, LM....I think I need counseling after this little exercise. Sometimes, being the oldest active f@rt on SSG (probably), has a way of making my age rear it's ugly head!

Here's my #1's (date withheld by my request):

US: Secret Love - Doris Day
UK: I See The Moon - The Stargazers
AUS: The site said their records for Australia don't go that far back! :eek::frus::hurt::cry:

Don't tell the kiddies there were only 48 states in the Union when you were born....

sith_killer_99
12-24-2008, 04:27 PM
Dude, I just checked and they said the AUS records start January 7th 1956!:eek:

Did you hang out with Marty McFly's dad? Did you know his mom? Maybe your user name could be Biff. LOL

Sorry, I couldn't resist.:razz:

It's all good TE7! You can't be THAT old, you still love SW, and that makes you a kid at heart and forever young!:thumbsup:

JediTricks
12-24-2008, 04:46 PM
Mine:
US: Get Down Tonight - KC & The Sunshine Band [ugh!]
UK: Can't Give You Anything (But My Love) - The Stylistics [doesn't ring a bell]
AUS: Fox On The Run - The Sweet [blink blink, huh?]

December 1, 1989

Wow, how crappy. :pDamn, I remember that era so well. I'm old and you're too young! :D

Gee, thanks, LM....I think I need counseling after this little exercise. Sometimes, being the oldest active f@rt on SSG (probably), has a way of making my age rear it's ugly head!

Here's my #1's (date withheld by my request):

US: Secret Love - Doris Day
UK: I See The Moon - The Stargazers
AUS: The site said their records for Australia don't go that far back! :eek::frus::hurt::cry:

Don't tell the kiddies there were only 48 states in the Union when you were born....OLD'D!!! Nice Jack Web photo in your profile tho'.

TeeEye7
12-24-2008, 04:48 PM
Dude, I just checked and they said the AUS records start January 7th 1956! :eek:

Did you hang out with Marty McFly's dad? Did you know his mom? Maybe your user name could be Biff. LOL

Sorry, I couldn't resist.:razz:

It's all good TE7! You can't be THAT old, you still love SW, and that makes you a kid at heart and forever young!:thumbsup:

Easily old enough to be your dad, SK!:eek:

....and it's the fun teasing like this that's kept me around SSG! :thumbsup:

BTW: McFly and I were like that :crossedfingers:

JediTricks
12-24-2008, 05:00 PM
Someone was born in spring of 1954!

sith_killer_99
12-24-2008, 05:03 PM
Easily old enough to be your dad, SK!:eek:

I don't know, maybe old enough to be my dad, probably not as old as my dad. The website doesn't go back that far. My pop is a boomer, born during the war (that would be WWII). LOL

On the flip side your "US" answer is the same song as my mom's birthday, 1 March 1954.

She was just 20 years old when I was born in May '74, my dad was 30 in 1974!

TeeEye7
12-24-2008, 05:04 PM
Someone was born in spring of 1954!

*Tah Dah!* :fanfare: :thumbsup:

Lord Malakite
12-24-2008, 05:04 PM

I'm certain TeeEye7 would gladly trade you his AUS song for yours. ;)

Speaking of which, anyone want to trade their UK song for my "Pass The Dutchie"? I have a sneaking suspicion that "Pass the Dutchie" is British speak for "Pass the TP". :cross-eye

TeeEye7
12-24-2008, 05:09 PM
SK: Your mom is seven days older than me!

sith_killer_99
12-24-2008, 05:11 PM
SK: Your mom is seven days older than me!

That's cool!:thumbsup:

Darth Jax
12-24-2008, 06:08 PM

Speaking of which, anyone want to trade their UK song for my "Pass The Dutchie"? I have a sneaking suspicion that "Pass the Dutchie" is British speak for "Pass the TP". :cross-eye

it's actually about cooking instruments - at least the musical youth version. the original song was about pipes used to smoke a specific plant.

Daryl VayDar
12-24-2008, 08:05 PM
What a cool site...I just lost about a half hour of my life!

US-
(They Long To Be Close) To You - The Carpenters
UK
The Wonder Of You - Elvis Presley
AUS
Up Around The Bend - Creedence Clearwater Revival

TeeEye7
12-25-2008, 01:03 AM

That's an understatement!

it's actually about cooking instruments - at least the musical youth version. the original song was about pipes used to smoke a specific plant.

And here I thought we might be referring to Dutch ovens. :cross-eye

bobafrett
12-25-2008, 01:57 AM
US-Help Me Rhonda - Beach Boys
UK-Long Live Love - Sandie Shaw
AUS-Crying In The Chapel - Elvis Presley

That was fun!

Mad Slanted Powers
12-25-2008, 02:28 AM
Well, I already knew what song was #1 on the U.S. chart, but I didn't know the other two.

US - "The Long and Winding Road" - The Beatles (Perhaps this was an omen)
UK - "In The Summertime" - Mungo Jerry (appropriate since it was just about to be summer)
AUS - "Spirit in the Sky" - Norman Greenbaum (Hopefully where I'll go when I die)

Yay for songs I'm not familiar with. Well, except for Convoy.

US - December, 1963 (Oh, what a Night) - Four Seasons
UK - I Love To Love - Tina Charles
AUS - Convoy - C.W. McCallI'm not familiar "I Love to Love", but the Four Season song is pretty good. I bought it from iTunes.

December 1, 1989

Wow, how crappy. :pCrappy indeed. Luckily the Alternative Revolution was at hand.

Mine:
US: Get Down Tonight - KC & The Sunshine Band [ugh!]
UK: Can't Give You Anything (But My Love) - The Stylistics [doesn't ring a bell]
AUS: Fox On The Run - The Sweet [blink blink, huh?]I kind of like some of KC's hits. You should be familiar with Sweet though. They were that first made a hit out of "Ballroom Blitz". I remember that one from when I was 5, but I don't think I recall Fox on the Run until years later when I rediscovered the band. The Stylistics song doesn't ring a bell for me either.

Maradona
12-25-2008, 10:11 AM
US - "Photograph," Ringo Starr (I have loved this George Harrison co-written song for years without knowing my connection to it.)

UK - "I Love You Love Me Love," Gary Glitter

AUS - "Angie," The Rolling Stones

Wow, how many birthdays have a Beatles AND Stones connection?

El Chuxter
12-26-2008, 06:28 PM
"December, 1963" is indeed a classic. It's also the only Four Seasons song that doesn't make me want to vomit so hard that my toes turn inside out. I really can't stand those whiny SOBs... except for that song, which sounds almost nothing like their earlier cheese-grater stuff.

For this old fart:

UK: "Sailing" by Rod Stewart. I dig 70s Rod, but this isn't my personal fave. Of course, I'd have to be much older for "Mandolin Wind" to have been a hit on my birth day.
Australia: "Fox on the Run" by The Sweet. Not familiar with it. I only know one or maybe two songs by these guys, and this ain't it. Must've been huge in Australia, since JT claims this one, too.

And, here at home, the #1 track was Motherhumpin' "Rhinestone Cowboy." Much respect to my n**** Glen Campbell.

(Though he was a little corny until he started covering Tom Petty and Travis and the Foo Fighters.)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-26-2008, 06:59 PM
I really can't stand those whiny SOBs... except for that song, which sounds almost nothing like their earlier cheese-grater stuff.
I only like one cheese grater.
https://www.slapchop.com/images/mrvince2.jpg
However, I love the new insert picture feature.

I dig 70s Rod
:D

Slicker
12-26-2008, 11:32 PM
US - Physical - Olivia Newton-John

UK - Save Your Love - Renee & Renato

AUS - Down Under - Men at Work

The "Men at Work" song is quite fitting for it's #1 location. :thumbsup:

mabudonicus
12-27-2008, 09:08 AM
UK- Cum on Feel the Noize , by Slade

US "Killing me Softly with his song" Roberta Flack

AUS "You're so vain"- Carly Simon

Well, one out of 3 ain't TERRIBLE...

:beard: Iso&Baws

good ol' Slade

Blue2th
12-27-2008, 11:38 AM
I think the only songs that were around when I was born were just sounds of sticks and stones banging together and chanting, before they invented bronze.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-27-2008, 01:34 PM
US - Another Brick In The Wall (part ll) - Pink Floyd (Gosh, never there was a more biting commentary on my birth than that).
UK - Going Underground / Dreams Of Children - The Jam ? ? ? ? ?
AUS - Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen

I wouldn't be surprised about Australia not having a music chart when you were born TeeEye. I don't believe they saw running water until 1960 and television sometime during 1983. :lipsrsealed:

JediTricks
12-28-2008, 07:24 PM
I kind of like some of KC's hits. You should be familiar with Sweet though. They were that first made a hit out of "Ballroom Blitz". I remember that one from when I was 5, but I don't think I recall Fox on the Run until years later when I rediscovered the band. The Stylistics song doesn't ring a bell for me either.I know who Sweet is for Ballroom Blitz, but not that other one.

KC & the Sunshine Band is listenable in the car, but really thin under any other circumstance. Most disco is like that.

Australia: "Fox on the Run" by The Sweet. Not familiar with it. I only know one or maybe two songs by these guys, and this ain't it. Must've been huge in Australia, since JT claims this one, too.In '75, Australia only had 3 songs. ;)

I think the only songs that were around when I was born were just sounds of sticks and stones banging together and chanting, before they invented bronze.Dick Clark was there with Pangaea Bandstand.

I thought you said "before they invented booze", and it made sense that way too.

I wouldn't be surprised about Australia not having a music chart when you were born TeeEye. I don't believe they saw running water until 1960 and television sometime during 1983. :lipsrsealed:Australia's government IS the Top 40 charts.

Lord Malakite
12-29-2008, 06:07 PM
Just tried 9/11 out of curiosity. Oddly, they all seem to fit the theme and feelings of that dark day.

US - I'm Real - JLo
UK - Mambo No 5 - Bob The Builder
AUS - Hanging By A Moment - Lifehouse

JimJamBonds
01-03-2009, 10:05 PM
Convoy - C.W. McCall

Greatest post EVER!!!!!!!!

DarkArtist
01-07-2009, 02:37 PM
ok let's see:

Birth:

1974 : Barbara Streisand : The Way we Were

8th Grade Graduation:

1989: Chicago : Look Away

High School Graduation:

1993: Whitney Houston : I Will Always Love You

College Graduation: (I took the long road)

2001: Christina Aguilera, Mya, Pink, Lil' Kim Missey Elliot Lady Marmalade

Marriage:

2005 : Mario : Let Me Love You

bigbarada
01-08-2009, 02:56 PM
May 16, 1973:

US: You Are the Sunshine of My Life - Stevie Wonder (how fitting ;) )

UK: See My Baby Jive - Wizzard (again, strangely appropriate)

AUS: Top of the World - The Carpenters (hey, I actually like this song :love: )