PDA

View Full Version : I think Star Wars collecting is dying off...

FLORIDA COLLECTOR X
12-28-2008, 07:17 PM
I just in the last 2 days I have visited all the Target, Wal-Mart, and TRU stores in my area, about 12, 23, and 6 stores respectively. Every store is bursting with star wars figures, vehicles, battle packs, and legos. You could get every star wars figure released in 2008 in the new white Clone Wars or The Legacy Collection packaging at more than one store in central florida areas. Target has all the exclusive battle packs already marked down and have end caps full of them. I have never before seen this much exclusive merchandise just sitting there after christmas. I could have, if I had wanted, picked up all the Target only battle packs, including the 2 ultimate battle packs at almost every Target I went to. Wal-Mart is just exploding with everything from those dumb keychains, to Legos, to every figure and vehicle available in the new white packaging whether it is Clone Wars or TLC stuff. At one store today there were cases still on the pallets from the opening day with 1st day issue stuff still case fresh in them. TRU has huge front end store sections just filled with Star Wars everything....I swear one TRU must have had 200 mighty muggs from every wave you can imagine....yes they had even C-3po, Stormtrooper, Darth Revan, Plo Koon, all figures were represented. I contacted some friends in Charlotte NC and Atlanta GA and they say it is the same there and that some Target stores were boxing Star Wars figures and battle packs and taking them to the back of the store while they do thier new year re-sets on the toy isles. That shows me they know they will not sell it even marked down. I have seen this coming....there is 3 reasons I believe. ONE is there is no live action movie coming or out there right now generating interest. Not even the prospect of another trilogy sometime down the line. TWO is that all the real collectors are entering thier late 30's and early 40's and are growing out of the hobbie. These people have wives, kids, mortgages and priorities are quickly changing in this economy we are enduring right now. THREE is that this new generation of kids known as the dumbest generation( hey! I did not coin the phrase so do not complain )....these burger flipping thugs with thier pants around thier knees have no interest in fantasy and sci-fi. This generation has no real hobbies except gossiping on thier I-Phones. Unless Lucas gets off his butt and does something this franchise will end this year.....The animated Clone Wars series is not enough to generate toy sales. I have heard about a live action TV show supposedly this fall but I think it will be too little too late.

stillakid
12-28-2008, 07:29 PM
Economy definitely is a factor as discretionary income is down.

Crappy Prequels killed off the possibility of a massive amount of the new generation being interested for a long time. Other ideas, like Harry Potter for one, captured the interest that could have been for Star Wars.

Most long-time Collectors have so many items, that space could be a factor in the decline of collecting too. Pure space issues can put a limit on what someone is willing to bring home.

The new Clone Wars show on TV isn't that great, so it isn't a huge way to attract new collectors or sustain current interest.

JediTricks
12-28-2008, 08:31 PM
Around here, SW sold very well at Target, I haven't hit the other guys that much, but generally there's only a handful of pegwarmers, and NONE of the CW figures are ever left, those things sold great around here for holiday shoppers. TRU is overpriced and has old product, when I was last there they were still mired in mostly TLC basic figure leftovers.

Beast
12-28-2008, 08:56 PM
Around here, SW sold very well at Target, I haven't hit the other guys that much, but generally there's only a handful of pegwarmers, and NONE of the CW figures are ever left, those things sold great around here for holiday shoppers. TRU is overpriced and has old product, when I was last there they were still mired in mostly TLC basic figure leftovers.
Same here JT.

I just went to Wal-Mart today to get some groceries, the toy aisle was devestated. There was almost no Transformers or Star Wars left on the pegs at all. And only a couple of the BMF's. Looked like it was a pretty good Christmas judging by that.

Old Fossil
12-28-2008, 09:00 PM
SW did very well at my nearest Wal-Mart, though my TRU is similar to the one JT described. Both stores still have AT-TE's and BMF's.

I for one am running out of space, and just losing interest in the line in general. I mean, the only thing I'm excited about in SW this year is the upcoming Jawa with WED droid. That's it. Toy Fair might change that, but seeing as Hasbro is enamored of the Clone Wars at present I doubt they have much that will excite me.

But it is mainly room to display the stuff that is my dilemna, and I have a big old house. I'm sick of buying figures and them ending up in storage within a month, or less time. All but 2 of TLC Wave 3 and 4 that I purchased are already in Sterilite totes.:sleeping:

bigbarada
12-28-2008, 09:18 PM
Where I'm at Star Wars toys sold extremely well. In fact, the day before Christmas, the Star Wars section only had 3 or 4 figures in it and was otherwise completely cleaned out. Everything else, Transformers, GI Joe, Indiana Jones, Ben 10, etc. was just clogging the pegs and didn't seem to be moving at all. In fact, this single Wal-Mart, in a small farming town, sold through 10 BMF Falcons (at $99 each) in a little over a week.

The Clone Wars figures have been sold out since about two weeks before Christmas and I see kids going through the Star Wars toys almost every single time I go through the toy aisle during the day.

I think the scarcity of the Wal-Marts, TRUs and Targets in this area is one of the reasons that items sell so well. If you go to the Litchfield Wal-Mart, you won't find another Wal-Mart unless you are willing to drive 45 minutes to an hour in any direction. The nearest TRU and Target is about 60 to 90 minutes away depending on whether you go north or south.

If you have 23 Wal-Marts in your area, then I think that is the problem right there. Too many stores that are too close together sharing a very limited market.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-28-2008, 11:29 PM
Count me in with the "selling very well" crowd. I've been to three different Targets and a Walmart recently and they each only had a few Yarnas, and one of the Targets had a few Ak-Revs as well. One Target had a ton of the Sarlacc sets before Christmas but I haven't been back since. Another had just a few after the holiday. The Walmart had a few of the Luke/Deena Shan comic packs (the first one) but they have forever; each store also had some of the basic lightsabers. I didn't see a single Falcon or AT-TE. There were a few other random odds and ends but SW has pretty much been wiped out from these stores, which only means that it sold extremely well and we'll be seeing new product very soon. :)

Indiana Jones, on the other hand, didn't fare as well. The Targets mostly had a few on sale for a little less than $4 each, and the Walmart had several of the usual suspects (Mutt, Sallah, Belloq, etc.) for $3 each. I will wait a while longer and then maybe pick up a few when they're even cheaper.

El Chuxter
12-29-2008, 01:37 AM
They seem to be doing quite well here, with a few exceptions. Larger stuff isn't moving much, but neither are larger Transformers, GIJoe, or Marvel items. Sadly, I think we're doomed when it comes to more big vehicles, as the Target clearance has started. (I've seen it for $98.97 at three Targets in the past two days.)

Indy is doomed. I finally saw Dr Jones a few days ago; he looked so bad, I don't even think I want the Short Round I so coveted.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-29-2008, 11:30 AM
When SW "returned" :hilariousSWreference: in 1995-96, the economy was fairly stable, and people saw how much the vintage toys appreciated in value. I can recall several speculators who asked me in the stores which figure would go up in value the most. That's why so many E1 toys were made and why so many were bought. But not the same for E2 or E3.

Now, the collectors are mainly having to choose family needs over collectible wants; toys often lose out in that battle :anotherSWreference: of money spent. These figures require more imagination to make them "work" than a computer chip or screen does.

But around here, there are some SW figures left on the shelves, whereas in previous years, there'd be very few aside from the expected pegwarmers

pbarnard
12-29-2008, 12:33 PM
Depends on your narrow definition of "Star Wars collecting". toys, maybe, but I think enough have hammered home the economy and the license will eventually be renewed by some one even possibly Hasbro before 2018 if it goes away for a time (yes it maybe cheaper for Hasbro to shut it down for 2-4 years before relaunching). Books, probably not ever going away. Video games, see books. Clothing, not any time soon. Costumes/Role Playing accessories, probably a never ever. So on.

JediTricks
12-29-2008, 09:36 PM
What amazes me is how there's no ceiling for the established "higher end" Sideshow lines (12", Premium Format, their other random stuff). Master Replicas was doing pretty well too until Lucas decided to go a different way, and eFX is still getting off the ground so I can't really say that market is going up. GG has kinda gotten sleepy, but I don't know if it's bottomed out or just held its breath. But there's still room for eFX, GG, SSC, even Kotobukiya, the market for higher end SW still is there.

Jargo
12-30-2008, 03:53 PM
What's star wars precious?