PDA

View Full Version : just need to vent...

DarkArtist
12-29-2008, 11:21 AM
so the other day i heard the if you own the Wii you can play Gamecube games on it as well. so i get all excited and pick up Rogue Squadron Rogue Leader for $5.00 used at GameStop in the mall. i ask the guy at the counter if the rumor is true stating that i have never owned a Gamecube only a super nintendo, PS2 and the original nintendo system. he says yes they do work all you need is a memory card for the Wii. i ask if it's a special type and he said no.

so the Wii uses SD cards so i grab the extra one from my camera and plug it in and nothing happens the disc loads and a message comes up, cannot detect the memory card. so i go to walmart and get a Wii SD card for $14.99 and again get the same message, no memory card detected.

i bring the card and the game and receipts to Gamestop in which the guy behind the counter then tells me i need a Gamecube memory card and the Wii attachment controller to work the game. i ask him why he didn't tell me this before and he stated that he thought i knew. i told him why would I ask about it if i knew. in short i dropped another $30 ($19.99 for the memory card and $10 for the Wii old school PSP/Nintendo controller) and left the store. so now i'm out $49.99 for the game at this point.

i get home plug the controller into the Wii controller, plug the memory card into the Wii console insert the game disc and get excited that i can finally play the game now only to find......... I need a Gamecube controller in order to play the game.

go back to the store and again get the same guy who i begin to tell him how he must be the worst salesman of the year. he then states that it's my fault that I didn't ask him all the questions as to what i would need in order to play the game on the Wii. i state that i did ask him what i needed and that i wanted full refunds for all the useless merchandise that i bought and wanted only the game, the memorycard for the gamecube and a working gamecube controller.

he said he can't refund the money for the Wii memory card or controller since the packages were already opened. i asked for the manager explained the situation and stated that the salesperson was extremely unhelpful and wanted a full refund and the right equiptment needed to play the game. the manager agreed refunded my money and stated that the only controller they had for gamecube was a wireless controller than ran for $19.99. so i buy the controller and then finally the game is able to play the game. only cost me $45 bucks to play a game that only cost $5 to buy originally.

so be where, you can do gamecube games as long as you have the hardware. just had to vent a bit

Lord Malakite
12-29-2008, 03:23 PM
You know, I'm fairly knowledgeable when it comes to video game stuff DarkArtist. If you would of asked in here before you went to the store I (or possibly someone else here that owns a Wii) could of saved you the headache and multiple store trips. ;) Something you might want to remember if you ever need help in the future.

pbarnard
12-29-2008, 04:26 PM
Yea, we're only here to help (confuse you!).

JediTricks
12-29-2008, 08:49 PM
All you need to remember is: up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, select, start.

Oh, and: don't trust employees.

I would suggest contacting GameStop corporate and complaining heavily about that clerk and manager, they ripped you off and wasted your time, that's unacceptable. You spent enough to buy an all-new Wii game. I would suggest making sure to note that although they got your $50, they will never see another penny of your gaming dollars after this transaction, you'll take your business either to their brick-n-mortar competitors or just go straight to the internet where everything's cheapest. Basically, the idea is to get them to either cough up your funds or a make-good, which they do owe you.

plasticfetish
12-30-2008, 12:34 AM
And they only had a wireless controller for the Gamecube? WTF? Most GameStops that I go to have tons of used controllers hanging around.

Not that it matters much at this point, but I'd try hitting a different shop next time.

El Chuxter
12-30-2008, 12:55 AM
If you'd asked, I noticed some TRU's clearing out GameCube memory cards just a few months ago. I got a new one for $5.

JetsAndHeels
12-30-2008, 09:43 AM
Sorry to hear about your ordeal, DarkArtist.

I used to work for Gamestop (it was EB Games then), and later became assistant manager. It is for reasons just like this that I never assumed anything when talking about something I was not sure about.

I would either ask another employee, call the other store in town, or even consult with another customer if I had to. Normally the policy there is to be able to know your stuff, but honestly there is no way I can play every single game for every console and know how every possible piece of hardware can work and anticipate every possible scenario. It just can't be done.

If the guy you dealt with had just been honest and told you everything from the get-go, you would have been ok.

DarkArtist
12-30-2008, 11:40 AM
thanks guys, i'll keep that in mind about the offered help and questions. was just so excited about the news and can remember playing the Rogue Games in TRU everyday after school so the chance to own them for cheap and play them all the time just seemed awesome. had I known the ordeal at hand i might have passed all together.

might actually write a letter to the corporate office and complain though. i can remember applying for a part time job there about 2 years ago and during the intervue i was asked what type of platforms i owned and what my video game knowledge was like. i was told i needed to be able to answer all types of questions for all the current platforms available. at the time the only video game systems i owned was SNES, PS2 and Gameboy Advanced. never played PS1 or X-BOX so i was out of luck. never got the job due to lack of experience (now i'm wondering how they screen their current employees, if they have complete knowledge of the current systems or not).

oh well...at least I now know what to ask and have in order to play.

El Chuxter
12-30-2008, 03:08 PM
If you need GameCube recommendations, I've got quite a few, and I know other folks here play GC as well. Luigi's Mansion is worth picking up fo' sho.

DarkArtist
01-04-2009, 08:53 PM
If you need GameCube recommendations, I've got quite a few, and I know other folks here play GC as well. Luigi's Mansion is worth picking up fo' sho.

i'll have to check it out. any other games to recommend ? i have only Rogue Leader, Rebel Strike and Spyhunter as of now.

Lord Malakite
01-05-2009, 10:32 PM
i'll have to check it out. any other games to recommend ? i have only Rogue Leader, Rebel Strike and Spyhunter as of now.
Besides Rogue Leader and Rebel Strike I would also recommend the following GameCube (GCN) games (which aren't listed in any particular order):

Luigi's Mansion
Super Mario Sunshine
Metroid Prime
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean
Baten Kaitos Origins
1080 Avalanche
Pikmin
Pikmin 2
Animal Crossing
Wave Race: Blue Storm
The Legend of Zelda: Four Sword Adventures (This one isn't your traditional Zelda game, but its still a fairly good game. While you can play this one by yourself, you'll have more fun with it in multi player. To play in multi player though you'll need a Game Boy Advance and a GBA-GCN link cable for each player; up to four can play. In 1-player mode you are given the choice to use either a GCN controller or a GBA connected by a link cable.)
Pac-Man Vs. (This game is basically a "multi player only" version of Pac-Man. The requirements to play this game are more or less the same deal as playing Four Sword Adventures in multi player mode.)
The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time/Master Quest (Currently this is the only way you can play the "Master Quest" version of Ocarina of Time.)
The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition (Currently this is the only way you can play Majora's Mask outside of owning an original copy of the N64 game.)
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (This was also released as a Wii game, so you have 2 options with this one, depending on what your controller preference is.)
Beyond Good & Evil (This game was a multi platform release, so you can also get it for your PS2 if you can't find a GCN copy.)
Donkey Kong Jungle Beat (I'd only recommend this one if you can find Nintendo's "DK Bongo" controller)
Donkey Konga (You'll also want the "DK Bongo" controller for this one, this game is "Guitar Hero" like in premise)
Donkey Konga 2 (Same deal as Donkey Konga.)
F-Zero GX
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (Especially if your never played the original Metal Gear Solid that this game is a remake of.)
Odama (This unusual game was made by the same guy responsible for Seaman on the Sega Dreamcast, to play this though you'll want to find one of Nintendo's GameCube Microphone controllers.)
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
Resident Evil "GCN Remake" (Especially if you never played the original Resident Evil.)
Resident Evil 0
Resident Evil 4 (Though this game also had a PS2 & Wii release. While the GCN is good, I'd recommend you get Wii version. Aside from taking advantage of the Wii controller's unique abilities the Wii version also takes the picture/video quality of the GCN game, some which was lost in the PS2 release due to hardware limitations, and includes all the bonus content of the PS2 release, which wasn't found in the GCN release.)
Star Fox Adventures
Star Fox Assault
Tales of Symphonia
Viewtiful Joe (If you haven't already played through the PS2 re-release.)
Viewtiful Joe 2 (If you haven't already played through the PS2 re-release.)

DarkArtist
01-18-2009, 08:34 PM
picked up a couple GameCube games today for the Wii :

007: Agent under Fire ($3.99)
Die Hard Vendetta ($4.99)
Call of Duty: Finest Hour ($12.99)

as picked up Pimp my Ride for Wii (couldn't resist)