PDA

View Full Version : Rebel Force series

Bel-Cam Jos
12-31-2008, 10:33 AM
There seems to be an OT-era young adult series coming out, called Rebel Force. Two are out so far: #1 (Target) and #2 (Hostage). Haven't read them yet, but I've looked at the covers. Han and Luke are in ANH garb, while Leia is in her ESB outfit. I'll show you the back of #2, which has a strange vehicle. I see this as another Galaxy of Fear type series, which was odd, weird, confusing, and weird (yeah, I said it twice). But we'll see.

El Chuxter
12-31-2008, 11:12 AM
My word, that is some carpy Photoshopping of Chewie there.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-31-2008, 05:01 PM
My word, that is some carpy Photoshopping of Chewie there.
No it's not; it's a painting of Chewie in a famous pose.

El Chuxter
01-01-2009, 01:36 AM
I meant the dropping of the classic image into that weird hot rod thingy. It looks carpy. This isn't the first time they've done this sorta thing, but it may be the ugliest job of it ever.

Darth Jax
01-12-2009, 10:35 AM
i've picked them up, but haven't gotten around to reading them

seems they are set immediately between ANH and ESB. Like all EU material that gets written now, it's also an attempt to blur the prequels (and somewhat previously written EU) into the OT.

Darth Jax
01-14-2009, 02:39 PM
finished reading 1 & 2. one of the characters from last of the jedi makes an appearance in book 2.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-14-2009, 08:16 PM
I finished "Target" today. I'm not its intended audience, I guess. Not too much for continuity.

Darth Jax
01-14-2009, 09:35 PM
I finished "Target" today. I'm not its intended audience, I guess. Not too much for continuity.

neither am I. but i typically find the young reader books better than the adult EU

Bel-Cam Jos
01-15-2009, 06:07 PM
Lately, Jax, I'd agree with you. In fact, with the exception of the Glove of DV, Adventure Journals, and the end of the Galaxy of Fear serieseses, the young adult books have been better overall.

I'd have to check, but it seemed like this book was just inventing alien species names. And Luke was just too goofy, even for him.

Darth Jax
01-15-2009, 06:13 PM
Luke is a complete and utter klutz with the lightsaber in 1 & 2. Definitely needs to get some practice in apparently. Though he seems to be pretty proficient with a blaster.

If i try and dwell on an alien species name i can't come up with what they are. But if i don't dwell on it, often i can recall an example of that species. Dexter is a prime example. I can never remember that he's a Besalisk whenever i come across that reference. Or maybe it's cuz whenever i see Besalisk, i think basilisk and picture the D&D creature

Tycho
01-17-2009, 09:28 AM
I have barely any interest in even seeing these. The Rebellion era holds almost no interest for me amongst all the Star Wars EU.

I prefer seeing Luke as a Jedi Master.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-08-2009, 09:46 AM
Finished the second book. I liked the "childhood guardian" character's re-emergence. They've really been utilizing that character in EU. Book #3's cover looks cool (beware when only the non-word parts are good :p ).

OC47150
02-16-2009, 12:43 PM
I started #1, about 50 pages into it. It's not too bad. The author's writing style is different from Jude Watson's, who I'm a big fan of.

I think the period between ANH and ESB is ripe for exploring, like the CW era.

Tycho
02-17-2009, 09:04 AM
I'm so sick of that time period myself. Remember Deena Shan got two action figures already? *Sigh*

For OT EU I like post-ROTJ stuff the best. After Empire and before Jedi, you don't have Han, so that's not on the top of the list for me either. You know: in SOTE, Lando could have done a lot of the things they had Dash Rendar doing, but I suppose they wanted Lando to look like an absolute good guy, so they let Dash be the mercenary.

Anyway, right now I don't have plans to read this series. And I too miss Jude Watson for young adult books. She's tremendously good.

OC47150
03-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Finished the second book. I liked the "childhood guardian" character's re-emergence. They've really been utilizing that character in EU. Book #3's cover looks cool (beware when only the non-word parts are good :p ).

I read #2 on Saturday. It was good, and I, too, like the childhood guardian character. He was a cool character.

When's #3 coming out?

Darth Jax
03-08-2009, 08:34 PM
#3 is due in May. #4 in september

Bel-Cam Jos
05-20-2009, 10:44 PM
Finished the [third] book. ... Book #3's cover looks cool (beware when only the non-word parts are good :p ).Since I saw the cover then, apparently it is changed to #4 (it was the one with a red shaded Luke-as-Red-5, this one's green-shaded Han). The third book, Renegade turned out to very much a young adult book. Okay, but nothing special. I did notice two editing errors (spelled "slide" as "silde" and some it's-spelled-correctly-so-SpellCheck-missed-it word). Not really excited about this series anymore, but they have been easy reads.

OC47150
05-21-2009, 07:08 PM
I did notice two editing errors (spelled "slide" as "silde" and some it's-spelled-correctly-so-SpellCheck-missed-it word). Not really excited about this series anymore, but they have been easy reads.

Being a writer/editor, I tend to catch the typos, too. It makes me wonder why someone didn't run SpellCheck one last time before a product goes to the printer. It doesn't take that long.

I'm reading Indy Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull right now. One word I came across and had never seen before was 'twilit.'

I still plan to pick up #3.

OC47150
07-09-2009, 08:07 PM
Finished #3 the other day. Good, quick read.

I liked the fact that some very minor, minor, minor ANH characters were revisited.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-19-2009, 09:53 AM
I got through #4, Firefight, last night, which is confusing to say that I "got through" a 150+ page book, but being busy makes sneaking a chapter or two at a time a slow reading process. This series is getting more pre-teen to me; a little stiff and really predictable.

OC47150
09-20-2009, 07:05 PM
I still haven't located #4. I didn't have the chance to hit the big Borders this weekend. Besides, no coupon.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-21-2009, 07:16 PM
Next week is Educator Discount at Borders (and now they allow it for personal as well as classroom purchases... sweet! ), so I plan to catch up on my SW books (Secret Missions [if I can find it], paperback TFU, others?).

OC47150
10-18-2009, 07:07 PM
Finally found #4!! One copy at the area's biggest Borders. Started reading it. Not too bad so far.

OC47150
10-22-2009, 08:48 PM
Finished it. It wasn't too bad. I like how characters from other series are brought back into play.

I have to wonder how improved this series would be if someone like Jude Watson was writing it. I've been reading a lot of Watson's materials lately.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-23-2009, 07:38 AM
Agreed, OC. This is getting too "young adult" for me (but of course, that's the audience), while Watson always seemed to be able to slightly bridge the gap between youth and adult readers well.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-27-2009, 09:51 AM
Found RF#5: Trapped, the other day. So I freed it (and trapped it at my place).

OC47150
12-27-2009, 04:22 PM
Great. I received a $5 coupon from Borders. Might have to use it toward that.

And I was wondering when the next book would come out.

OC47150
01-17-2010, 07:48 PM
I've been to 3 bookstores and still haven't found #5.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-18-2010, 09:26 AM
It showed a Jan. 1 release date, and I've found some stores that have as much as a two week delay. I read that the 3rd "Decide Your Destiny" book should be out now, too; have yet to find that one.

Darth Jax
01-18-2010, 01:44 PM
still haven't seen trapped yet. the borders closest to me is really wacky when it comes to book releases. i'll find some things months early of posted release and other things won't find for 3-4 months after it was released.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-02-2010, 10:45 PM
Got through this one this morning. Could this be the last in the series? Not a spoiler really, but it has an ending that's ambiguous. And I can't believe they killed Luke and replaced him with a droid replicant. Oops, I mean "SPOILERS AHEAD." :rolleyes:

OC47150
03-03-2010, 07:05 PM
Finally found #5 over the weekend and finished it yesterday. It was a stronger entry in the series, stronger than #4.

If the story continues, that's cool. If #5 was the last one, I can live with it.

Personally, I'm waiting for the next Secret Missions book. There is going to be a second one, right?

Bel-Cam Jos
03-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Personally, I'm waiting for the next Secret Missions book. There is going to be a second one, right?Unless they go Mel Brooks with History of the World Part 1, I think the #1 in the title ensures at least another sequel (but the subtitle of the second is "Curse of the Black Hole Pirates," so perhaps that's too risque-sounding for a young adult book ;) ).

Bel-Cam Jos
04-17-2010, 05:44 PM
I seem to recall reading somewhere recently that both SM #2 and RF #6 are due out sometime around July.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-25-2010, 06:34 PM
You know, the start of book #6 Uprising was bad, evil-super-villian bad. But by about the last 3-4 chapters, it turned out quite well, even weaving in some other storylines and handling a few known characters in unexpected ways, IMHO.

Once again, it ended as if this would be the end of the series, or would be continued in the next book. Odd.

OC47150
05-25-2010, 07:12 PM
I just picked up #6 yesterday. Used my $5 Borders Bucks and it cost me $2 and some change. I'll be reading it later this week.

OC47150
06-02-2010, 08:17 PM
I thought it was a decent read. You were right, BCJ: the last few chapters were good.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-30-2012, 01:37 PM
So, has the market for YA Star Wars books series died? After the fourth (and likely last) book in the Secret Missions line, there's been nothing, as well as no mention of future series, or continuing established ones. Why?

Look at all the ones from the past:
- Last of the Jedi (10 books?)
- Junior Jedi Knights (6 books?)
- Young Jedi Knights (14 books?)
- Galaxy of Fear (12 books?)
- Glove of D.Vader (6 books?)
- Jedi Apprentice (18 books?)
- Jedi Quest (10? books?)
- Secret Missions (4 books?)
- Boba Fett (6 books?)
- Rebel Force (6 books?)

El Chuxter
06-30-2012, 01:46 PM
Because without Kevin J Anderson and Jude Watson, there's no point. :(

OC47150
06-30-2012, 05:38 PM
Funny that this topic comes up, Bel-Cam. I was flipping through the latest Insider at the comic shop just a bit ago and there's at least one YA CW-themed novel coming out in September.