PDA

View Full Version : Bane Malar is not the guy knocked down by Chewbacca

TIE DEFENDER
01-05-2009, 12:06 AM
I was hoping that it was, but Bane malar is just EU character.I wonder why Hasbro does this kind of thing, the Movie characters should be given an action figure prior to the EU.

well, hope Hasbro make more aliens from the Cantina and Jabba`s palace, they`r just kind of my favorite characters,besides the imperials and der Droids

Slicker
01-05-2009, 05:31 AM
I know they made a Decipher SWCCG of Bane Malar so I would assume he's in the palace SOMEWHERE.

The guy that gets thrown down by Chewie is Sgt. Doallyn and don't let any of these guys tell you different.

Devo
01-05-2009, 09:48 AM
Twas a tad annoying that he wasn't really a movie character but I find him to be an acceptable backgrounder for Jabbas palace scenes. He looks very OT.

NerfTW
01-05-2009, 11:32 AM
I was hoping that it was, but Bane malar is just EU character.I wonder why Hasbro does this kind of thing, the Movie characters should be given an action figure prior to the EU.

well, hope Hasbro make more aliens from the Cantina and Jabba`s palace, they`r just kind of my favorite characters,besides the imperials and der Droids

Hasbro goes off set photos and the Decipher CCG. There is a photo of this character on the set. He was designed and should have been in the movie, although there's a very good chance that being a background character, he just never showed up in a shot.

It's not EU on purpose, they just don't have the time to go and make sure that every background character on the set that day actually appeared on screen. (One usually assumes that they would, but things happen)

bigbarada
01-05-2009, 06:59 PM
Ehh, he's close enough. Names like Bane Malar and Sgt. Doallyn weren't even created until over a decade after ROTJ was released, so they're irrelevant.

The only thing those names are good for is it makes it easier for us to tell Hasbro exactly which alien we want to be made into an action figure.

TIE DEFENDER
01-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Ehh, he's close enough. Names like Bane Malar and Sgt. Doallyn weren't even created until over a decade after ROTJ was released, so they're irrelevant.

The only thing those names are good for is it makes it easier for us to tell Hasbro exactly which alien we want to be made into an action figure.

Bane Malar is a good sculpt, and I like it, it`s just that I didn`t know that he was on ROTJ Set, Thank yo`all for telling me.

BTW Hope "sgt. Doallyn" gets an action figure, he`s one of my favorite Background characters.

Big Barada- I just called Doallyn "the guy Knocked down by Chewbacca" `cause I didn`t know what name was given to him.It`s kind of cool that we fans are asking for an action figure of a "Thirty seconds screen Character".

There are a lot of cool characters in Jabba`s palace, I`m thinking `bout that wasp-like Droid....it`s fantastic!:p

Slicker
01-06-2009, 10:58 PM
It`s kind of cool that we fans are asking for an action figure of a "Thirty seconds screen Character".Or even 3 second characters like Aurra Sing. :rolleyes:

There are a lot of cool characters in Jabba`s palace, I`m thinking `bout that wasp-like Droid....it`s fantastic!:pYou mean BG-J38 (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/BG-J38)?

jediguy
01-07-2009, 08:20 AM
I used my vintage SnaggleTooth as Dr. Evizan when I was a kid, so I have no problems using Bane Malar as the guy that was pushed down the stairs at Jabba's Palace

bigbarada
01-07-2009, 10:03 PM
I used my vintage SnaggleTooth as Dr. Evizan when I was a kid, so I have no problems using Bane Malar as the guy that was pushed down the stairs at Jabba's Palace

I did the exact same thing! In fact, I always thought Dr. Evazan was Snaggletooth. I only saw the movie once as a kid and he seemed close enough on the back of the Kenner card (I never actually owned the figure until late in the 90s). Plus, the name Dr. Evazan just didn't exist in the Kenner days. I'm not sure if it was created by West End Games or Decipher, but it was definitely something that came out after the action figure line died.

TIE DEFENDER
01-09-2009, 07:17 PM
That's the one, thanks for the info.Hope we soon see an action figure of BJ-G38

Obsession is Nute
01-12-2009, 12:36 AM
I too want to see a figure of Sgt. Doallyn. Especially after reading "The Fat Dancer's Tale" from Tales of Jabba's Palace.

The trouble is, Leland Chee needs to straighten out who Doallyn is. I always assumed he was the guy in the black mask/dark suit that was pushed down the stairs by Leia and Chewie. However, Wookiepedia says that the black mask/white jumpsuit skiff guard was also Doallyn. I would think that he would have to be the former, because Luke killed that skiff guard.

Are there any good photographs of the guy that got pushed down the stairs, that are not just stills from ROTJ? I don't recall having ever seen any.

El Chuxter
01-12-2009, 12:49 AM
Yes he is!

:mad:

Care to step outside? I'll fight you over it!

TIE DEFENDER
01-12-2009, 03:08 PM
I too want to see a figure of Sgt. Doallyn. Especially after reading "The Fat Dancer's Tale" from Tales of Jabba's Palace.

The trouble is, Leland Chee needs to straighten out who Doallyn is. I always assumed he was the guy in the black mask/dark suit that was pushed down the stairs by Leia and Chewie. However, Wookiepedia says that the black mask/white jumpsuit skiff guard was also Doallyn. I would think that he would have to be the former, because Luke killed that skiff guard.

Are there any good photographs of the guy that got pushed down the stairs, that are not just stills from ROTJ? I don't recall having ever seen any.

Hope we see both doallyn's action figures(Black and White).

BTW I didn`t know it was the same Character.Just like Klatuu Jabba`s palace and klatuu skiff.

:thumbsup:

bigbarada
01-12-2009, 08:27 PM
BTW I didn`t know it was the same Character.Just like Klatuu Jabba`s palace and klatuu skiff.

:thumbsup:

Actually those two Klaatus are different characters because they are both on the Sail Barge during the Sarlacc Battle.

Jargo
01-13-2009, 07:39 AM
Yes he is!

:mad:

Care to step outside? I'll fight you over it!

I'll fight ya. Put up ya dukes. :smoker:

Slicker
01-13-2009, 09:40 AM
I only tickle fight. I'm too pretty to take a shot in the face.*

*let's just not even bother with a Slicker's mom joke.

Jargo
01-13-2009, 11:44 AM
Purrrrrrrty. :love:

I remember seeing a pic of Richard Marquand and GL discussing stuff on the Throne room set. I'm wondering if GL ordered reshoots on stuff he wasn't happy with and that's why certain costumes and creatures aren't seen in the movie. Marquand is known to have had trouble getting to grips with the movie and GL did step in and direct over his shoulder from time to time.

neosapian77
01-14-2009, 09:34 PM

I wish Hasbro would come out with a new Cantina playset. But I hate it when they come out with background characters from the movies. I love the different clone troopers and droids but why come out w/ a Malar figure when they could come out w/ a Dash Rendar or Mara Jade figure? Why not re-release a better Jabbas the Hutt figure?

bigbarada
01-14-2009, 10:01 PM
I wish Hasbro would come out with a new Cantina playset. But I hate it when they come out with background characters from the movies. I love the different clone troopers and droids but why come out w/ a Malar figure when they could come out w/ a Dash Rendar or Mara Jade figure? Why not re-release a better Jabbas the Hutt figure?

That's because not everyone is a fan of the non-film sources. I think at the core of it all, everyone is an Original Trilogy fan, because that's the original source of all things Star Wars. Not every Star Wars fan is a fan of the Prequels or a fan of the Expanded Universe (novels, comic books, video games, etc.). So, basically the original 3 films are something that we can all agree on as great. Making toys based on those 3 films is what has kept the line alive for the last 13 years and will continue to keep it alive until 2018.

In fact, it's only now, when Hasbro is actually starting to run out of OT figures to make, that the EU figures are gaining significant popularity.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of EU. So I would prefer any alien from Jabba's palace with only two seconds of screen time over any EU character.

Obsession is Nute
01-14-2009, 10:20 PM
I have to respectfully disagree with you Barada. While the OT is the source of all Star Wars, not all Star Wars fans expierenced them as their original SW expierence. Younger fans have grown up with the PT and now the Clone Wars and while they may not represent the majority of fans, they will, one day, assume our fan/consumer mantle and they may well demmand more PT and Clone Wars stuff.

I think age/generation plays a great role in our preferences of the franchise. I came into in the winter of 1995, so I fell in love with the old trilogy, but I grew up with the PT. I love them both, but the characters I want to see most are all from the PT and EU. But that is just me.

I do think it is unfair to claim the OT has sustained the main line for 13 years. In 1999, 2000, 2002, and 2005, there were essentially no OT figures produced. The PT has contributed a great deal to the line and still does.

I personally think there is plenty of room for the OT, PT, EU, and even the Clone Wars. I like having a diverse line that is inclusive and supports my all-time favorite fandom!

bigbarada
01-14-2009, 11:52 PM
I have to respectfully disagree with you Barada. While the OT is the source of all Star Wars, not all Star Wars fans expierenced them as their original SW expierence. Younger fans have grown up with the PT and now the Clone Wars and while they may not represent the majority of fans, they will, one day, assume our fan/consumer mantle and they may well demmand more PT and Clone Wars stuff.

I think age/generation plays a great role in our preferences of the franchise. I came into in the winter of 1995, so I fell in love with the old trilogy, but I grew up with the PT. I love them both, but the characters I want to see most are all from the PT and EU. But that is just me.

I do think it is unfair to claim the OT has sustained the main line for 13 years. In 1999, 2000, 2002, and 2005, there were essentially no OT figures produced. The PT has contributed a great deal to the line and still does.

I personally think there is plenty of room for the OT, PT, EU, and even the Clone Wars. I like having a diverse line that is inclusive and supports my all-time favorite fandom!

I think my point is that there are plenty of Star Wars fans who only like the OT and think that the Prequels, Clone Wars and EU suck. We usually call them "OT Purists." However, I don't really know of any Star Wars fans who hate the OT and only like the Prequels or EU. I guess it's conceivable that they could exist; but I've just never heard of any of them.

So what I was trying to say was that the OT is one aspect of Star Wars that we can all agree upon.

Of course, 1999, 2002 and 2005 were heavily focused on the prequel films, but you'll notice that Hasbro had to quickly show a significant shift back to the Original Trilogy to keep the Star Wars line alive.

Even in the 4 years you listed in which you say that there were "essentially no OT figures produced" there were still a significant number of new figures being made. In fact, on average, there were roughly the same number of new OT figures being made in those years as in the vintage Kenner days.

Here's how the numbers break down:

1999: 16 OT figures (including the Cinema Scenes)
2000: 13 OT figures (between the end of POTF2 and the start of POTJ)
2002: 14 OT figures (including the end of POTJ)
2005: 6 OT figures (including Evolutions, 14 counting "Post-OTC Transitional" repacks)

From the vintage days:
1978: 12 all new figures
1979: 9 all new figures
1980: 20 all new figures
1981: 6 all new figures
1982: 3 all new figures
1983: 17 all new figures
1984: 12 all new figures
1985: 17 all new figures (including Yak Face and Anakin)

My numbers for the vintage figures may be off by one or two based on where one decides to place the mail aways, Paploo and Lumat, etc. But in the 8 years that the vintage line lasted, there were 96 figures produced, an average of 12 figures a year.

You can see that even in the Prequel years where "essentially no" OT figures were being made, according to your estimate, the number of OT figures made in those years is still equivalent to the number of figures being made in the vintage years.

So, even when the OT "goes away," it never really goes away; because Hasbro knows better than that.

neosapian77
01-15-2009, 04:10 PM
I think my point is that there are plenty of Star Wars fans who only like the OT and think that the Prequels, Clone Wars and EU suck. We usually call them "OT Purists." However, I don't really know of any Star Wars fans who hate the OT and only like the Prequels or EU. I guess it's conceivable that they could exist; but I've just never heard of any of them.

So what I was trying to say was that the OT is one aspect of Star Wars that we can all agree upon.

Of course, 1999, 2002 and 2005 were heavily focused on the prequel films, but you'll notice that Hasbro had to quickly show a significant shift back to the Original Trilogy to keep the Star Wars line alive.

Even in the 4 years you listed in which you say that there were "essentially no OT figures produced" there were still a significant number of new figures being made. In fact, on average, there were roughly the same number of new OT figures being made in those years as in the vintage Kenner days.

Here's how the numbers break down:

1999: 16 OT figures (including the Cinema Scenes)
2000: 13 OT figures (between the end of POTF2 and the start of POTJ)
2002: 14 OT figures (including the end of POTJ)
2005: 6 OT figures (including Evolutions, 14 counting "Post-OTC Transitional" repacks)

From the vintage days:
1978: 12 all new figures
1979: 9 all new figures
1980: 20 all new figures
1981: 6 all new figures
1982: 3 all new figures
1983: 17 all new figures
1984: 12 all new figures
1985: 17 all new figures (including Yak Face and Anakin)

My numbers for the vintage figures may be off by one or two based on where one decides to place the mail aways, Paploo and Lumat, etc. But in the 8 years that the vintage line lasted, there were 96 figures produced, an average of 12 figures a year.

You can see that even in the Prequel years where "essentially no" OT figures were being made, according to your estimate, the number of OT figures made in those years is still equivalent to the number of figures being made in the vintage years.

So, even when the OT "goes away," it never really goes away; because Hasbro knows better than that.

I hate the prequels but love OT. But the prequel toys are awesome. Yes OT was the basis but there are sooo many cooler figures to make than background figures. Idk personally, I don't get the reason in buying background figures.

I'd rather buy stormtroopers or rebel troopers. Seriously why is Hasbro making background figures? I need to build my Rebel trooper army. There are soo many other cooler things from OT that Hasbro isn't paying attention.

DarkJedi5
01-15-2009, 04:53 PM
I gotta disagree with you neosapian, background characters are some of my favorites. As a kid I would play games outside of the movies and so having characters who could be good guys or bad guys was key. Sometimes mamaw nadon was a bad guy and sometimes a god guy and it made that character more fun than a stormtrooper who could only always be a bad guy.

And the background characters are part of what make star wars so great. Lots of movies (pretty much until recently) were pretty lazy with background characters and just threw something together for the background. Granted that's what happened to an extent with the cantina, there was an effort made to blow people away with how much cool stuff could get crammed on the screen at once. I used to watch the cantina scene and Jabba's palace scenes over and over again and I could pick out something new almost everytime. And then I saw the widescreen version and there was even more cool new stuff. Maybe it's just me but that's one of my favorite parts about Star Wars, is that I can watch scenes over and over and see new things in the background. I feel that Hasbro gets my perspective and making these figures is a way to acknowledge that aspect of Star Wars.

bigbarada
01-15-2009, 09:29 PM
I gotta disagree with you neosapian, background characters are some of my favorites. As a kid I would play games outside of the movies and so having characters who could be good guys or bad guys was key. Sometimes mamaw nadon was a bad guy and sometimes a god guy and it made that character more fun than a stormtrooper who could only always be a bad guy.

And the background characters are part of what make star wars so great. Lots of movies (pretty much until recently) were pretty lazy with background characters and just threw something together for the background. Granted that's what happened to an extent with the cantina, there was an effort made to blow people away with how much cool stuff could get crammed on the screen at once. I used to watch the cantina scene and Jabba's palace scenes over and over again and I could pick out something new almost everytime. And then I saw the widescreen version and there was even more cool new stuff. Maybe it's just me but that's one of my favorite parts about Star Wars, is that I can watch scenes over and over and see new things in the background. I feel that Hasbro gets my perspective and making these figures is a way to acknowledge that aspect of Star Wars.

I agree 100%, it's the background aliens that really held my interest in Star Wars and prevented it from becoming just a passing fad of my childhood like GI Joe, Transformers, Silverhawks, etc.

One of the things I love the most about the background aliens is that they are essentially blank slates and you can fill in the details with your imagination. Of course that's tougher now with so many onscreen characters having full bios written for them; but for the most part, if it didn't show up onscreen then it's easy enough to ignore.

pbarnard
01-16-2009, 11:46 AM
Background characters make for interesting diorama and display building. Plus if I was a kid, I'd get tired of Luke and Han beating up Stormtroopers. The occassional pirate would be welcome change of pace.

Jargo
01-16-2009, 01:00 PM
when GL shoves the live action show on tv the background characters are going to get a lot more bio filling outness. maybe even new names. it's going to be really confusing then.

JediTricks
01-16-2009, 01:06 PM
So, I pulled a bunch of stills from the scene from 2 different sources, a bootleg Laserdisc DVD, and the SE DVD. There are elements that suggest Bane Malar and there are elements that suggest Doallyn's helmet. The helmet shape doesn't correspond to either that well, there's no light on the top of the helmet, but there's shiny aspects and a separated faceplate. It actually appears that Bane Malar's helmet has been stripped down of the lower hoses and the upper light, and has the Doallyn front faceplate attached to it, but it still has the shiny rear section, the round bubble, and the lower collar.

Doallyn's "ears":

Bane's "collar":

Doallyn's "face" attached to Bane's "head":
19225 19226

Bane's black and shiny wrist gauntlet:

=======

This one requires a levels enhancement to bring up the brightness and show the "doallyn mask attached to bane helmet" concept.
Original: 19228 Lightened: 19229 Close-up: 19230

That also showed that it's definitely a black costume, not Doallyn's off-white design, because the wall is showing and he's against it, yet Doallyn's costume that's lighter than the walls isn't showing.

=======

This one, I'm not really sure it needs the same treatment, I think the evidence comes through unaltered, but just in case, here's Bane Malar's black costume with his brown leather bandolier straps crossed on his chest, another element Doallyn's costume is VASTLY different from. You can also see Bane's gauntlet and belt...

Original, lightened, & close-up:
19231 19232 19233

========

Here's a slightly better look at the bandolier proving it's Bane's. Notice his right shoulder area with the silver ammo packs...

You know the drill by now:
19234 19235 19236

=========

This one shows that it is indeed Doallyn's "face" on this costume though, as there's the V-shaped cutout at the "brow". However, this is shiny where the only picture we have of Doallyn is absolutely not, so this suggests we're still not to the bottom of this mystery.

This one is a little more abstract in stills, it comes through better when it's moving. Again, you know the drill:
19237 19238 19239

=========

Unquestioningly, this is Bane's boot in the shot, and it reiterates the black costume is in this shot:
19240 19241 19242

=========

Here are some abstract ones, but I believe they show the silver hoses on the underside of Bane's helmet. In any event, there's something showing which doesn't have a corresponding shape on Doallyn's helmet. Also, note the brown leather belt just like the one on the Bane Malar figure.

No need for a close-up since there's just not much visual data here:
19243 19244

=========

Next frame saying the same stuff, and in both shots you can see the actor's neck exposed, which the Doallyn costume doesn't look like it allows for:
19245 19246

The next frame of the same thing, and now you can see the reflectiveness of the helmet... sorta:
19247 19248

While I have more stills, these are really the ones that are telling, the rest are just frames. We could flip-book them if you like, I'll try to put them on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLaYxo6XanE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opPKBWNBHtk

Sorry they're choppy, they're from the frames I pulled, I didn't pull every frame from the scene, and Windows Movie Maker doesn't really let you lower the speed under .250 of a second.

DarkJedi5
01-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Wow JT way to do your homework! But where does this leave us as it would seem that the character pushed down the stairs in neither Bane or Doallyn but a combination of the two. Does this mean there's another character we should be requesting?

JediTricks
01-16-2009, 02:28 PM
Thanks, I appreciate it. My new PC made it possible, it can process this stuff much faster, I always knew I wanted to do this, but didn't really have the tech until now (also, my new PC came with a copy of PowerDVD which takes those screengrabs - the shots are 720x480, so there's not really that much image data compared to what we're used to).

I don't know how to proceed, I think we may have to ask Lucasfilm to clarify what to call this guy because it's not Bane Malar and it's not Doallyn. They may ascribe that name to either one, but at this point I am thinking of the Bane Malar figure as the one Chewie throws down the stairs because it needs less modification to get to what we have.

Obsession is Nute
01-16-2009, 04:24 PM
Extremely impressive analysis JediTricks! Best I have seen yet.

I think there needs to be some major retcon on Bane Malar, Doallyn, and Skiff Gaurd.

I always thought I saw a little sculpted face on the mask of guy that got pushed down, so I never thought he was Malar.

What makes most sense for me is for the Wookiepedia entry on who Doallyn is, needs to be scrubbed. It just doesn't make sense. As far as I am aware, Doaylln originated in the Tales From Jabba's Palace (TfJP). In TfJP, is states that Doaylln remained at the Palace when Jabba went to the Sarlaac. So he can't be the skiff gaurd. It also does say he was the one pushed by Chewie. So if we accept the fact that there is a character named Doaylln in Jabba's entourage, wouldn't we need to accept the source that introduced him? So Doaylln CAN NOT be the skiff guard, given that reasoning.

Ideally, the Malar figure would have been named Doallyn considering the many similarities (not exact, but close). However, we are stuck with Malar...

I would say make the Doaylln figure based on the character pushed down the stairs, even if it is pretty much Malar with minor changes. Keep Malar, and rename the skiff guard.

Also, the Wookiepedia explanation of Doaylln makes no bloody sense. Apparently we are supposed to believe that there are two Doayllns that work in Jabba's palace, they look very similiar, but one has a white jumpsuit and was killed by Luke and the other was pushed by Chewie? Ummmm...no.

Another theory: Could part of the confusion perhaps result from changes to costumes between the photographs taken and the scenes filmed? As I understand it, we never see Malar in the film, just in that one photograph. Could the picture have been taken, then wardrobe people adjusted the costume, and the scene where "Malar/Doaylln" gets pushed, was filmed?

DarkJedi5
01-16-2009, 04:42 PM
Could part of the confusion perhaps result from changes to costumes between the photographs taken and the scenes filmed? As I understand it, we never see Malar in the film, just in that one photograph. Could the picture have been taken, then wardrobe people adjusted the costume, and the scene where "Malar/Doaylln" gets pushed, was filmed?

I have a good feeling that's exactly what happened. It's not impossible that the photographs were taken (say to be shown to George) but after the photos changes were made to the costumes and those changes are what we see on film. I can also see an extra grabbing the wrong costume pieces or some one handing the wrong helmet to the wrong person, etc. I guess there's the "in universe" explanaition that Chewie pushed him so hard he needed a new helmet?

Jargo
01-16-2009, 05:46 PM
there's lots of costume swapping with stuntmen. look at the sail barge sequence. different players wearing different costume bits to make it seem like more henchmen than there actually were.

they probably gabbed a couple of costume bits that extras had worn to make a new costume for the stunt player.

JediTricks
01-16-2009, 10:10 PM
Extremely impressive analysis JediTricks! Best I have seen yet.

I think there needs to be some major retcon on Bane Malar, Doallyn, and Skiff Gaurd.Is it really retconning if the original accepted canon was never right? But attitudes have to change on this all around since nobody is right on either side, there's more going on.

I always thought I saw a little sculpted face on the mask of guy that got pushed down, so I never thought he was Malar.

What makes most sense for me is for the Wookiepedia entry on who Doallyn is, needs to be scrubbed. It just doesn't make sense. As far as I am aware, Doaylln originated in the Tales From Jabba's Palace (TfJP). In TfJP, is states that Doaylln remained at the Palace when Jabba went to the Sarlaac. So he can't be the skiff gaurd. It also does say he was the one pushed by Chewie. So if we accept the fact that there is a character named Doaylln in Jabba's entourage, wouldn't we need to accept the source that introduced him? So Doaylln CAN NOT be the skiff guard, given that reasoning. Good point, Wookieepedia is going to be where the take on this is made. It's going to be a very difficult fight though, people have accepted blindly the Decipher card and the TFJP book as accurate for years, and now clearly there's more to it. BTW, OiN is talking about this guy, for everybody wondering:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Unidentified_man_wearing_Doallyn_armor
Clearly, that's the costume we see in the Decipher card shot named Doallyn, but of course that's just dead wrong if Doallyn is accepted as the guy who gets tossed down the stairs.

Ideally, the Malar figure would have been named Doallyn considering the many similarities (not exact, but close). However, we are stuck with Malar...Yeah, it's a big mess but I think that's how we have to take it: the figure Hasbro calls "Bane Malar" fills the role of the character the EU calls Sgt. Doallyn.

I would say make the Doaylln figure based on the character pushed down the stairs, even if it is pretty much Malar with minor changes. Keep Malar, and rename the skiff guard. All they really need to do is change the head, call it Doallyn. Then, further down the line, release the same head non-glossy on a new body, call that the Skiff Guard (LFL will make up some 3rd name for him at that point, I'm sure).

Also, the Wookiepedia explanation of Doaylln makes no bloody sense. Apparently we are supposed to believe that there are two Doayllns that work in Jabba's palace, they look very similiar, but one has a white jumpsuit and was killed by Luke and the other was pushed by Chewie? Ummmm...no.

Another theory: Could part of the confusion perhaps result from changes to costumes between the photographs taken and the scenes filmed? As I understand it, we never see Malar in the film, just in that one photograph. Could the picture have been taken, then wardrobe people adjusted the costume, and the scene where "Malar/Doaylln" gets pushed, was filmed?It's just a different helmet, the one that gets tossed down the stairs is glossy and a different shape helmet with the same shape face mask. They weren't being very clever about all this during filming, they probably just slapped parts on parts. IMO, we have to separate the names from the characters and identify what's what - Bane Malar is the costume, or is it the helmet? It's not the guy's face, so it's not the same as a Nikto.

I honestly don't know how or why this all happened, but Bane Malar the photo is from the ROTJ Jabba's Palace soundstage, we've seen that costume there too, so we know all those parts were there that day. Doallyn, the shot we have on the Decipher card, those parts we've only ever seen on the Skiff scene in that format, but we've seen a facemask or helmet on the Palace set as well.

I have a good feeling that's exactly what happened. It's not impossible that the photographs were taken (say to be shown to George) but after the photos changes were made to the costumes and those changes are what we see on film. I can also see an extra grabbing the wrong costume pieces or some one handing the wrong helmet to the wrong person, etc. I guess there's the "in universe" explanaition that Chewie pushed him so hard he needed a new helmet?No no, that photograph was taken on a complete or nearly complete soundstage, it was for publicity purposes, the pose and locale suggest that. It's not conceptual, they wouldn't have waited to shoot that on the completed set because that would have taken MUCH longer.

In my book, until LFL clears this up, the Bane Malar figure is the guy who gets pushed down the stairs.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-17-2009, 12:39 AM
In the Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Bane Malar isn't in there, and Doallyn uses the EU story only and the black helmet/white shirt picture, but there are a few inconsistencies in there (switching the entries for Commander Fox and Sergeant Fox and calling the latter "trooper Fox," using a picture of what Wookieepedia calls Lumat for the Graak entry, saying that Kit Fisto taught Bant Eerin after he taught Nahdar Vebb despite the timeline inconsistency), so who knows for sure. Let's just say that Bane Malar got himself photographed, put on part of Doallyn's helmet, and then gave it back to Doallyn before the skiff battle where Doallyn died, and the EU doesn't count, so there. :p

Someone should bring this up in the continuity forum at starwars.com where Leland Chee writes.

Oh, and is that BG-J38 in the left side of those scenes?

bigbarada
01-17-2009, 12:45 AM
In my book, until LFL clears this up, the Bane Malar figure is the guy who gets pushed down the stairs.

Agreed. Just more evidence of EU writers not paying enough attention to the source material.

Jargo
01-17-2009, 09:35 AM
Oh, and is that BG-J38 in the left side of those scenes?

yes. yes it is.

neosapian77
01-17-2009, 10:01 AM
This thread is making me want to buy background figures lol

bigbarada
01-17-2009, 02:00 PM
This thread is making me want to buy background figures lol

Background characters give us anal-retentive fans something to obsess over.:)

neosapian77
01-17-2009, 02:12 PM
Background characters give us anal-retentive fans something to obsess over.:)

haha you speaketh the truth

Obsession is Nute
01-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Agreed. Just more evidence of EU writers not paying enough attention to the source material.

I completely 100% agree with you Barada. Leland Chee has a daunting job, for sure, and I can understand if he misses things like "Planet X was supposed to be near planet Y, making it impossible to be near Planet Z. Especially in light that our Essential Atlas has been delayed by more than a YEAR (seriously, don't get me started). However, one can only apologize so much for LFL.

This has become my biggest source of frustration for the franchise, it can't seem to keep it's own cannon straight. I know it is a fantasy universe and all, but still! The CW series has really been driving me up a wall. Filoni says he respects EU and cannon, but I see little to no evidence of that. Further, Chee has basically said "Yah, we know there is an extensive history for the Clone Wars already. So instead of committing to anything regarding timeframe now, we will just figure it out when it is all over." Man, wouldn't life be easier if we approached everything with that attitude? I would much rather write a budget for the month of January on January 31st, than have to have it ready before the month started!

Two authors I have always respected were Crispin (God, I wish she would still write SW) and Luceno. They always managed to handle core characters well, while adding in little nuggets and tributes to other EU without messing up the greater cannon. I don't want to come off as a whiner, which I am sure I do, but I just would like LFL to follow the simple rule of consistency. I know that in a 30 year franchise with as much depth as SW has, there are going to be mistakes. However, some mistakes have been pretty blatant and are then compounded by subsequent work.

Anyways, back to the thread. JediTricks, your ideas on how to solve the situation make a lot of sense. It also would allow Hasbro to churn out a few more figures, too!

JON9000
01-17-2009, 07:27 PM
Is the guy dresssed exactly like Bane Malar in Mos Espa Bane Malar? Will the real Bane Malar please stand up?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-17-2009, 07:40 PM
This has become my biggest source of frustration for the franchise, it can't seem to keep it's own cannon straight. I know it is a fantasy universe and all, but still! The CW series has really been driving me up a wall. Filoni says he respects EU and cannon, but I see little to no evidence of that. Further, Chee has basically said "Yah, we know there is an extensive history for the Clone Wars already. So instead of committing to anything regarding timeframe now, we will just figure it out when it is all over." Man, wouldn't life be easier if we approached everything with that attitude? I would much rather write a budget for the month of January on January 31st, than have to have it ready before the month started!
Yes, because when it comes to figuring out which aspects of a science fantasy series are real and which aren't, that's exactly as important as paying your bills on time. :p

I think the fact that they at least try (somewhat) to keep it all together, as opposed to just restarting the franchise every so often (as in comics, Star Trek, etc.) is pretty noteworthy and you have to accept that not everything is always going to gel perfectly.

bigbarada
01-17-2009, 08:22 PM
The thing about science fantasy is, even when it's "real", it's still fake. :p

I understand it's frustrating when you want a particular character and the established EU is so screwed up that most people don't even realize that character exists (back in 2002, very few people understood that Kithaba and Barada were two different characters). So, I like for the EU to be clear just for the sole purpose of making it easy for Hasbro to understand what background character we are asking for. Other than that, I don't have much use for EU.

JediTricks
01-18-2009, 01:02 PM
In the Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia, Bane Malar isn't in there, and Doallyn uses the EU story only and the black helmet/white shirt picture, but there are a few inconsistencies in there (switching the entries for Commander Fox and Sergeant Fox and calling the latter "trooper Fox," using a picture of what Wookieepedia calls Lumat for the Graak entry, saying that Kit Fisto taught Bant Eerin after he taught Nahdar Vebb despite the timeline inconsistency), so who knows for sure. Let's just say that Bane Malar got himself photographed, put on part of Doallyn's helmet, and then gave it back to Doallyn before the skiff battle where Doallyn died, and the EU doesn't count, so there. :p

Someone should bring this up in the continuity forum at starwars.com where Leland Chee writes.

Oh, and is that BG-J38 in the left side of those scenes?It is BG-J38.

If someone wants to point Chee to my post, that'd be just fine. I'm not an active member on SW.com and I'm not looking to make a crusade out of this situation, but I would like to see LFL address it.

As for the Complete Encyclopedia, I don't have faith in anything like that anymore.

Agreed. Just more evidence of EU writers not paying enough attention to the source material.To be fair, it is a very dark scene that's poorly shot in terms of this guy, and they didn't have DVDs when they wrote TFJP. But yeah, between stuff like those Tales books and Decipher, we have a very mucked up Jabba's Palace (and Cantina!).

This has become my biggest source of frustration for the franchise, it can't seem to keep it's own cannon straight. I know it is a fantasy universe and all, but still! The CW series has really been driving me up a wall. Filoni says he respects EU and cannon, but I see little to no evidence of that. Further, Chee has basically said "Yah, we know there is an extensive history for the Clone Wars already. So instead of committing to anything regarding timeframe now, we will just figure it out when it is all over." Man, wouldn't life be easier if we approached everything with that attitude? I would much rather write a budget for the month of January on January 31st, than have to have it ready before the month started!This isn't a budget, it's not science, they're treating this like an art, and letting the artists do what they want within only the broadest of guidelines to ensure they get to tell smooth stories. The downside is that there are far too many takes on the SW galaxy because of it, the upside is that there is still interest in new Star Wars material 32 years after its inception.

Anyways, back to the thread. JediTricks, your ideas on how to solve the situation make a lot of sense. It also would allow Hasbro to churn out a few more figures, too!Thanks, glad someone agrees, it's a somewhat elegant solution for Hasbro I think.

Is the guy dresssed exactly like Bane Malar in Mos Espa Bane Malar? Will the real Bane Malar please stand up?What guy who dressed up like Bane? Do you mean the guy talking to himself in the spaceman outfit? That's not as much like Bane's as you'd think.

I think the fact that they at least try (somewhat) to keep it all together, as opposed to just restarting the franchise every so often (as in comics, Star Trek, etc.) is pretty noteworthy and you have to accept that not everything is always going to gel perfectly.Tell that to the Marvel lines. :p

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-19-2009, 04:45 PM
After watching ROTJ again yesterday, I'll just use Bane Malar as the stairs guy and file it under "close enough for now."

El Chuxter
01-20-2009, 01:28 PM
Don't nobody take this personally, but you guys are putting way too much thought into this.

I say "don't...take it personally" because it's intended as advice. I used to do that. It's much easier when you enjoy the EU as separate and don't spend hours trying to reconcile it with the movies since it's all a bunch of people trying to get paychecks and they know nerds like us will worry about fixing continuity errors later. Let's make them do their jobs for a change. :)

Kaptain Curk
01-21-2009, 04:41 PM
itis a waste of time trying to figure out names of stupid characters

DarkJedi5
01-21-2009, 06:23 PM
itis a waste of time trying to figure out names of stupid characters

I disagree, without a name it makes it difficult to ask for specific characters. Clearly when people asked for Bane Malar people expected to get the character pushed down the steps by Chewbacca. Thanks to JT's research we know that all we have is a representation of a still photo, not the character seen on screen. Imagine you wanted a particular figure like Kithaba. If you asked for the skiff guard who is Klatooinian you'd probably get Barada. When they characters have names, why not use them in the interest of being precise?

Obsession is Nute
01-21-2009, 09:43 PM
I concur with DarkJedi. This IS a Star Wars forum, last I checked. We typically talk about Star Wars, Star Wars collecting, and all the nuance and details that comes with it. Also, if it is a waste of time, why did you just post??? In doing so you have either discredited your argument completely or you are stating that you value your time no more than we do!

pbarnard
01-21-2009, 10:23 PM
So he's the guy who said I want a Skiff Guard to Hasbro and by not specifying, BigBarada is screwed yet again.

Jargo
01-21-2009, 10:55 PM
this thread reads like the inner workings of the Simpsons Comic book guy's head.

bigbarada
01-22-2009, 01:36 AM
So he's the guy who said I want a Skiff Guard to Hasbro and by not specifying, BigBarada is screwed yet again.

Hey, I've only been waiting for new Skiff Guards for 6 years now. I guess I can wait another six since Hasbro can't seem to understand that the Skiff Guards were the guys standing on the Skiffs.:upset:

JediTricks
01-23-2009, 08:18 PM
Don't nobody take this personally, but you guys are putting way too much thought into this.This is our hobby, it's not just putting carded product into boxes and ignoring their context.

I say "don't...take it personally" because it's intended as advice. I used to do that. It's much easier when you enjoy the EU as separate and don't spend hours trying to reconcile it with the movies since it's all a bunch of people trying to get paychecks and they know nerds like us will worry about fixing continuity errors later. Let's make them do their jobs for a change. :)WED - what ever, dude. (Not to be confused with the droid of the same name.;)) I couldn't care zippidy fudge about the EU in this circumstance, I'm only sourcing the toy we have and the movie.