PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Millennium Falcon Sound Repair

roberr22
01-09-2009, 09:33 AM
Hello all. I just purchased a vintage Millennium Falcon. It's complete and looks awesome! However, the "Battle Alert Sound" does not work. The battery compartment is clean and free of corrosion. Before I open her up, I'm hoping someone can offer some tips illustrating how a repair could be made? Thanks!

Star Wars Collector
01-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Hello all. I just purchased a vintage Millennium Falcon. It's complete and looks awesome! However, the "Battle Alert Sound" does not work. The battery compartment is clean and free of corrosion. Before I open her up, I'm hoping someone can offer some tips illustrating how a repair could be made? Thanks!

I fixed mine some time ago. Its not hard at all. The motor is probably just stuck. Take the screws out and pull the ship apart. You will see the motor. I remember i just manually turned the motor to loosen it up. It was that simple.

roberr22
01-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Great! I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Star Wars Collector
01-09-2009, 01:50 PM
let me know if it worked for you. Im 2 for 2 on fixing the motor on a falcon. Im sure thats the problem.

sjd9299
01-09-2009, 03:45 PM
As stated all you need to do it open her up and manually spin the motor while the batteries are in and you are pressing the button. It should start to spin after a few trys. I have fixed a least 5 or 6 vintage Falcons this way. It is pretty easy to put back together, the only snag is getting the cardboard backdrop in right again.

LusiferSam
01-09-2009, 08:37 PM
The Falcon really is the easiest of all the vintage vehicles to repair. First remove any of the "loose" pieces like the radar dish and back panel. Then remove the gun. You'll need to gently pry the two half apart. Now flip the Falcon over. I don't remember how many screws there are, maybe eight (I'm out of town right so I can't check mine). All Philips head. Once those are removed lift the top from the bottom, watching out for the cardboard backdrop.

Once inside you can check a number of different thing. I'd first see if the contacts are making contact with the batteries. Next while pushing the button start spinning the motor. A quarter turn is about all that's needed, as the motor should start spinning by its self. But don't close it up just yet. Let the motor run a little, five minutes is good if you can tolerate the sound for that long. So let it run, give it a break (half hour or more) and run it again. Next you should oil the motor. Some light machine oil, like sewing machine is best. Put a little in and mop up what leaks out. If you like you can remove the motor when you oil it. There's two more screws and a plastic brace that hold in place.

When putting the Falcon back together watch out that the battery compartment door and that the cardboard backdrop are lined up right. The screws should easily screw back in to place, don't force them.

Hope that helps. The Falcon is pretty to open and work on. There not much that can really go wrong. If you need any more help or need to know more specifics please ask, I'll answer them when I can.

roberr22
01-09-2009, 11:30 PM
Well, I just attempted to fix the Battle Sound feature on my Falcon. I got the job done, but it was a bit trickier than I had hoped. After the engine failed to start initially, I removed the cap to the engine and found that one of the receptors had moved out of place. After delicately placing the receptor into the proper position, I replaced the engine cap. Voila! The thing powered up! Thanks for your assistance!

sjd9299
01-10-2009, 05:51 PM
For some real repair fun try an AT-ST!

LusiferSam
01-21-2009, 07:40 PM
Well, I just attempted to fix the Battle Sound feature on my Falcon. I got the job done, but it was a bit trickier than I had hoped. After the engine failed to start initially, I removed the cap to the engine and found that one of the receptors had moved out of place. After delicately placing the receptor into the proper position, I replaced the engine cap. Voila! The thing powered up! Thanks for your assistance!

I've always fear that one day I might have to open up one for those motors and try to repair it. Any way I'm glad everything work out for you. Now maybe it's because I'm really tried right now or I'm in a different head space, but what is a 'receptor' in a DC motor and how does it move out of place?

For some real repair fun try an AT-ST!
AT-ST or AT-AT? Both really suck to try and repair. I think I rather mess with the AT-ST. If you really want test your skills have a crack at the ITT.

Star Wars Collector
01-22-2009, 07:12 AM
I have fixed an Imperial Troop Transport. It probably is the most hardest one to fix for your first attempt. As long as the rubber band isnt broke on the record player its really easy to fix all transports for me now.

roberr22
01-22-2009, 11:10 AM
I'm definitely not very techinical, but when I opened the motor, there were two very small copper pieces on each side where the male plugs/keys??? would contact when inserted into the motor. One of the copper "receptors" had become misplaced and need to be fit back into its slot. Once that was done, and the plugs/keys??? were reinserted, the motor started up.

jediknight49
03-12-2009, 03:12 PM
I have fixed an Imperial Troop Transport. It probably is the most hardest one to fix for your first attempt. As long as the rubber band isnt broke on the record player its really easy to fix all transports for me now.

Hi

I have an Imperial Transport that has no sound. The rubber band is still intact, and all the connections seem in place and clean from corrosion.

The only query i have is that a green wire is loose. It is not attached to anything, and the end of it looks frayed.

Does anyone know where this green wire goes/connects to?

Am sure this is what is proventing it from working properly

Many Thanks
Andy :)

LusiferSam
03-12-2009, 08:26 PM
Having only ever looked in one ITT I'm basing my assumptions off of my ITT.

The green wire should run from the left side for the motor to the black wire where it joins the resistor. I'm defining left as the left side of the vehicle when it is sitting on it's top (ie wheels up in the air) and the front pointed away from you. The end of the green wire that joins the black wire should be frayed as it is joined with a crimp clip. The other end was soldered. I think I have a photo and will post it if I can.