PDA

View Full Version : Doubt

Tycho
01-09-2009, 11:04 PM
My girlfriend wanted to see this one, so we went today. It's about the sex abuse scandals in the Catholic Church. I think it's based on a true story from the 1960's and stars Merril Streep as the nun / porochial school principal who exposes the abusive priest who goes after young boys in his church.

It was OK. There were no explosions, gun fights, or car chases.

I wasn't sorry I saw the movie, but I wouldn't have picked it out. Still, it was interesting.

The guy who played the priest reminded me of Dan Akroyd. It wasn't him though.

bobafrett
01-10-2009, 09:55 AM
Rule of thumb goes, if she picks the first movie, you get to pick the next one. I've had to sit through some pretty weak films, all in the name of love.

TeeEye7
01-10-2009, 10:45 AM
There were no explosions, gun fights, or car chases.

In the film or in the theater? :confused:

;)

El Chuxter
01-11-2009, 01:56 AM
So the priest is a pederphile? I'm not sure whether to say that's disappointing based on the way the ads are done (where he looks like he's innocent and wrongly accused by a psychotic witch of a nun), or to sarcastically thank you for the spoilers.

LTBasker
01-11-2009, 07:56 AM
The guy who played the priest reminded me of Dan Akroyd. It wasn't him though.

That would be the acclaimed Philip Seymour Hoffman, playing past roles such as Patch's jerk of a roommate in "Patch Adams," and the geeky storm chaser that quotes a line from "A New Hope" in "Twister." Agreed, though; he does look a bit like Dan Akroyd - but with so, so much more hair.

He's also a popular fan-opinion as the perfect actor to play the Penguin, but I don't really agree with that. Regarding the movie, though... I may see that eventually, it sounds interesting, but I'm thinking I may get a bit too bored.

Tycho
01-11-2009, 01:17 PM
I don't really want to see him as Penguin, but I was skeptical when I heard Ledger was going to be the Joker and that turned out great.

Sorry for the spoilers Chuxter. However, is anyone surprised whenever they read about another ual abuse scandal in the paper any more? Thus it'd be hard to "spoil" tomorrow's newspaper for you when it's gotten predictable anyway.

The difficulty in proving anything points out why the scandals went on for so many years and were so well covered-up. It's definitely food-for-thought.

preacher
01-11-2009, 04:14 PM
That would be the acclaimed Philip Seymour Hoffman, playing past roles such as Patch's jerk of a roommate in "Patch Adams," and the geeky storm chaser that quotes a line from "A New Hope" in "Twister." Agreed, though; he does look a bit like Dan Akroyd - but with so, so much more hair.

He's also a popular fan-opinion as the perfect actor to play the Penguin, but I don't really agree with that. Regarding the movie, though... I may see that eventually, it sounds interesting, but I'm thinking I may get a bit too bored.

Philip Seymour Hoffman as the Penguin?! Ugh. After I saw Shoot Em Up, I'm convinced Paul Giomatti (sp?) could play a very excellent Penguin. He's worn makeup before in Planet of the Apes and really gets into his character.

And I'll be passing on Doubt. Luckily my wife is into Horror movies so I won't ever have to deal with undramatic sensitive crap.

El Chuxter
01-11-2009, 05:59 PM
However, is anyone surprised whenever they read about another sexual abuse scandal in the paper any more? Thus it'd be hard to "spoil" tomorrow's newspaper for you when it's gotten predictable anyway.

My point was we don't know the priest is necessarily a prevert until we see the movie. The marketing is really doing a good job of making it seem the opposite, that there's nothing to be concerned about and one insane nun with an axe to grind is after him.

JediTricks
01-14-2009, 03:39 PM
My girlfriendYour what now???

It's about the sex abuse scandals in the Catholic Church. I think it's based on a true story from the 1960'sI think it's based on a play which isn't based directly on a true story.

Tycho
01-14-2009, 11:05 PM
I don't know what to refer to my part-time-significant-other as, so I'll call her my girlfriend for convenience's sake. I don't think I really have a girlfriend, but if I just said "friend," I think it would sound sort of strange that I'd do another guy some favor by going and watching "Doubt" with him. So for lack of a better way of explaining it, and because I experience being whipped by a certain girl rather randomly, and I go out with her frequently, at different times she decides what we are going to go and do.

If I am smart, I'll just learn to accept this relationship / friendship / whatever for what it is, and never try and make more of it or get married. I think that could very well be disastrous.

sith_killer_99
01-15-2009, 03:42 PM
Rule of thumb goes, if she picks the first movie, you get to pick the next one. I've had to sit through some pretty weak films, all in the name of love.

My wife and I like the same movies, pretty much.

Bottom line, "we don't watch no weak stuff":thumbsup:;):D

Tycho
01-15-2009, 04:10 PM
Well SK, then you found a cool girl to get attached to.

I've only gone for whatever girl attracts me at the moment (physically) and it's not too often that I end up with anyone with even close to the same tastes as I have. But that's what I have friends for.

On the other hand, my sort-of-girlfriend and I have looked out for each other for going on 12 years now. During that time we've had other relationships, but I guess we really care for one another. We end up with each other anyway. But this works for me as long as she is super-attractive. So I figure that will last another 5-10 years, but we'll always be friends.

neosapian77
01-17-2009, 02:09 PM
My wife and I like the same movies, pretty much.

Bottom line, "we don't watch no weak stuff!":thumbsup:;):D

I need a girlfriend like that. I hate being dragged to see the duchess :twisted: