PDA

View Full Version : Valkyrie

Exhaust Port
01-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Anyone else see it? We went a week or so ago and my wife and I really liked it. My brother was kind of indifferent about it. Honestly I was kind of surprised how much I liked it after seeing a good number of bad reviews for the movie. Most of the complaints seemed to be about the lack of action in the movie which I find strange. Given that the movie is about 1 single explosion I don't know what folks are expecting to see. Perhaps too many M.Bay movies have folks expecting explosions and chase scenes in every movie.

I didn't find Tom Cruise distracting in his lead role and actually thought he did a good job with it. There are a lot of good actors thrown in as well. Once again the bad guys (Nazi's) are played by British actors for the most part. The visuals are great and make me hope there is a DVD commentary that would cover how they recreated 1940's Germany. I'll admit that I didn't know anything about this attempt on Hitler's life before watching the movie beyond knowing someone tried to blow him up. The grand scale of the attempt and overthrowing of the Nazi party in Germany was impressive. I hope to follow this movie up with a good book covering the events.

I give it 2 thumbs up.

El Chuxter
01-11-2009, 05:56 PM
I give it 2 thumbs up.

You now owe Roger Ebert five bucks.

Exhaust Port
01-11-2009, 06:23 PM
OK, I give it 2 buckets of popcorn. :)

Mvader91
01-11-2009, 06:30 PM
OK, I give it 2 buckets of popcorn. :)
:thumbsup:Very well done! True to the history of how things roled out. They even highlighted the high court. great movie!:yes:

JetsAndHeels
01-11-2009, 07:38 PM
I saw it on Christmas day and I really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to purchasing it on dvd and seeing some good behind the scenes type stuff.

Slicker
01-11-2009, 07:51 PM
I really really really really want to see this. It's playing on base so I'm gonna try and catch it either tomorrow or Wednesday.

I'll give my expert opinion when I'm done. ;)

JetsAndHeels
01-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Most of the complaints seemed to be about the lack of action in the movie which I find strange. Given that the movie is about 1 single explosion I don't know what folks are expecting to see.

Probably because when people heard about it they figured it was a WWII movie, not a conspiracy movie.

I think another thing that contributed to this was that the preview showed all the action sequences, like the planes in North Africa and the explosion in the briefing room.

It made no difference to me, it was a great film and had a very intriguing story to tell.

Exhaust Port
01-11-2009, 08:11 PM
True. I guess they didn't properly advertise the movie since, like you said, the previews show the North Africa portion and the final explosion.

Rocketboy
01-11-2009, 10:52 PM
I also saw it on Christmas and enjoyed it quite a bit.

The only distracting part for me was hearing Nazis with British and American accents, but I got over that very quickly.

I don't understand the Cruise bashing. I thought he was pretty darn good. I'm not a Cruise fan by any means, as there are only two other movies of his that I've truly liked (Collateral and The Last Samurai), and I'd add this to the list of good performances.

But the part that really baffles me is the popular criticism of "Who cares? We already know how it ends." Ummm yeah, duh. We know how most important historical movies end. Its all about the characters and backstory.

Slicker
01-11-2009, 11:11 PM
I
But the part that really baffles me is the popular criticism of "Who cares? We already know how it ends." Ummm yeah, duh. We know how most important historical movies end. Its all about the characters and backstory.Yet Titanic is the highest grossing movie. That's the ultimate in "we already know how it ends" movies. I guarantee that 80% of America doesn't even know about the July 20th plot.

JetsAndHeels
01-11-2009, 11:17 PM
But the part that really baffles me is the popular criticism of "Who cares? We already know how it ends."

And if we all used that same logic, nobody would have gone to see the Star Wars prequels.

Rocketboy
01-12-2009, 12:02 AM
Yet Titanic is the highest grossing movie. That's the ultimate in "we already know how it ends" movies.I almost brought up Titanic as an example.

I guarantee that 80% of America doesn't even know about the July 20th plot.I knew about the plot to blow the 'stache offa Hitler, but not the details of who or why, which is why I found the movie entertaining.
Then again, there are quite a few younger people that know next to nothing about WWII (like who we fought and why or even when, ect.). *sigh*

And if we all used that same logic, nobody would have gone to see the Star Wars prequels. Or Titanic, which is exactly my point. I don't get why critics are whining about this fact.

El Chuxter
01-12-2009, 12:43 AM
Tom Cruise is one of those guys who's a dippoop in real life, but is a fine actor. I've never gotten the bashing, either.

TeeEye7
01-12-2009, 02:23 AM
I'll admit that I didn't know anything about this attempt on Hitler's life before watching the movie beyond knowing someone tried to blow him up.

I had a post-bomb blast course with the FBI a couple of years back (for crime scene investigation purposes) and this incident was addressed in the class as to why it failed. It had to do more with the location of the bomb, i.e. the way (and where) the explosive sent its energy, and the fact that there was a substantial table leg that protected Hitler, yet at the same time sent wooden shards into the idiot. Interesting stuff explosives are.

Factoid: California is the pipe bomb capital of the US! For reals, kiddies! That's why I've gone through the post blast training. BOOM! :fingersstuckinears:

jonthejedi
01-12-2009, 04:17 AM
Bryan Singer made the film suspenseful, a rare feat when you go in knowing how it ends. I thought the cast was great. I've always been interested in WWII, so I also want to go see Defiance & The Reader.

Exhaust Port
01-12-2009, 12:45 PM
But the part that really baffles me is the popular criticism of "Who cares? We already know how it ends." Ummm yeah, duh. We know how most important historical movies end. Its all about the characters and backstory.

I'll admit that I found myself getting all tense as the plan was unfolding and couldn't believe that I was given I knew how it was going to end. I remember thinking "Oh man, they're going to pull it off!!". I think the director did a great job with it.

I had a post-bomb blast course with the FBI a couple of years back (for crime scene investigation purposes) and this incident was addressed in the class as to why it failed. It had to do more with the location of the bomb, i.e. the way (and where) the explosive sent its energy, and the fact that there was a substantial table leg that protected Hitler, yet at the same time sent wooden shards into the idiot. Interesting stuff explosives are.

I saw a brief segment on TV where they recreated the explosion and showed the table leg saved Hitler. They ran it again with both bricks of explosives as they had originally intended and it decimated Hitler. Man, who'da thought that a man knocking at a door kept Hitler from dying. It's amazing to think that the world was so close to having the war end a lot sooner with less loss of life.

BTW, that course you took sounds like it would be very interesting to partake in. I'm jealous.

TeeEye7
01-12-2009, 01:46 PM
BTW, that course you took sounds like it would be very interesting to partake in. I'm jealous.

Sometimes my job is way too fun! Here's a (poor quality) photo I posted a while back:

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showpost.php?p=557763&postcount=1407

Exhaust Port
01-12-2009, 02:10 PM
Awesome! Next time have an insurance claim adjuster come out and convince them that it was fine when you parked it there earlier. :)

TeeEye7
01-13-2009, 11:23 AM
I'm just glad the FBI instructors didn't ask for us to volunteer materials to blow up! :crazed:

Exhaust Port
01-16-2009, 08:12 PM
I've got some junk at my house that could "disappear". :D My first offering is a 15 year old projection screen TV. Boom!

neosapian77
01-17-2009, 12:31 PM
I also saw it on Christmas and enjoyed it quite a bit.

The only distracting part for me was hearing Nazis with British and American accents, but I got over that very quickly.

I don't understand the Cruise bashing. I thought he was pretty darn good. I'm not a Cruise fan by any means, as there are only two other movies of his that I've truly liked (Collateral and The Last Samurai), and I'd add this to the list of good performances.

Everyone bashes Tom Cruise but he's a good actor. Valkyrie was awesome but sometimes I wish movies based on historic events would do the unconventional like "A Bridge Too Far" did. Which is show the "what if" side. In many ways I wanted Valkyrie to show what if they succeeded. But it is still a very entertaining movie and definatly better than the over-rated slumdog millionaire (which is still really good but not better than Valkyrie)

Slicker
06-10-2009, 11:18 AM
I was finally able to see this the other day and thought it was a very good movie. I watched it twice just to take everything in. Cruise plays a great Graf von Stauffenberg and the guy that plays Hitler looks downright creepy. He did a great job at playing him.

JetsAndHeels
06-10-2009, 12:35 PM
Ithe guy that plays Hitler looks downright creepy. He did a great job at playing him.

That was what I enjoyed the most about the film. I loved it overall, but the scenes with Hitler were very well done.

Plus I am glad Bryan Singer at least made a good movie instead of working on a sequel to Superman Returns. :)

Blue2th
06-10-2009, 01:25 PM
They could have handed the directing over to JJ Abrams, then we would have seen the alternate universe, where they were able to get both bombs to work, Hitler died, the Germans sued for peace, the Red army didn't get half of Europe.
The bloodguilt had gone clear up to heaven by then though with the rumoured things that were going on in the concentration camps, so maybe things turned out the way they should have, though turns out Stalin killed more civilians than Hitler's regime.
It's good to see that there were others in Germany's high command that didn't agree with the Corporal. They paid with their lives.
There is a mention alluding to a certain general that was in on it. His name was Erwin Rommel. The Nazis made him take a cyanide pill or his family would be put to death, so he took it.

preacher
06-10-2009, 02:40 PM
I also liked this movie and thought Cruise was good. I thought it was good that Brian Singer started the movie in German dielect and slowly morphed into English. When I saw previews to this show I wasn't too thrilled with having some pretty boy portray the part. But the director's choice in how he started the movie was a good one. I accepted Cruise at that point. Had Singer not gone that route, I don't think I would've been as receptive of Tom as a German.

The only thing that could've made this movie better was making it in black and white to give it that authentic historic tone. I would've also preferred German language with subtitle. The harshness of the language would've emphasized the urgency of the situations effectively.

But as it is, I do like the movie.

Slicker
06-10-2009, 03:08 PM
It's good to see that there were others in Germany's high command that didn't agree with the Corporal. They paid with their lives.
There is a mention alluding to a certain general that was in on it. His name was Erwin Rommel. The Nazis made him take a cyanide pill or his family would be put to death, so he took it.It would've been neat to have them include Rommel but he really would've taken away from it. He basically knew about it but did nothing about it (kind of in the same vein as Gen. Fromm). Rommel had always been against killing Hitler on the grounds that it would've just made him a martyr and when Germany lost the war it would've just given Germans a reason to proclaim ANOTHER "stab in the back" like after the first war.

I also liked this movie and thought Cruise was good. Cruise was probably the perfect pick for this part. If you've ever seen pictures of von Stauffenberg Cruise has a very uncanny resemblence to him.

Blue2th
06-13-2009, 10:53 AM
It would've been neat to have them include Rommel but he really would've taken away from it. He basically knew about it but did nothing about it (kind of in the same vein as Gen. Fromm). Rommel had always been against killing Hitler on the grounds that it would've just made him a martyr and when Germany lost the war it would've just given Germans a reason to proclaim ANOTHER "stab in the back" like after the first war.

Cruise was probably the perfect pick for this part. If you've ever seen pictures of von Stauffenberg Cruise has a very uncanny resemblence to him.

You're right. To tell Rommel's story you need a whole new movie dedicated to him (was there one already?) Maybe get Ed Harris?
Guilt by association then. Just by knowing about it. Hadn't he been wounded by a strafing attack on his staff car in France right about that time? All he would have had to have done was make a phone call, but then he would have had to betray many of the officers he knew. Definitely a conundrum.

I saw a show on public access done by Lyndon La Rouche on the reason's why WWI was started, which then led to WWII, certain X president's grandfather's involvement with the Nazi's, bankers, assassination of President McKinley, the British Empire's involvement in the chaos of the world. How Bismark of Germany knew about all this, was fired by the inbread King. The great stage of intrigue that brought us to where we are today. Controlling resources and commerce is really what it was all about, from then till now.

He's out there with his opinions, but does make you think. Very interesting stuff.

Slicker
06-13-2009, 12:41 PM
Guilt by association then. Just by knowing about it. Hadn't he been wounded by a strafing attack on his staff car in France right about that time? All he would have had to have done was make a phone call, but then he would have had to betray many of the officers he knew. Definitely a conundrum.I believe it was July 17th (three days before the attempt) that Rommel was injured and nearly killed. He was only "found out" because someone was being tortured and just blurted out names (some of which had nothing to do with it).