PDA

View Full Version : BSG & Landram - The Holy Grails of BSG Toys

Darth Duranium
01-16-2009, 11:35 AM
This little baby from the original series was apparently only released by Mattel here in Canada... unlike the US, BSG was a theatrical release here in '78. Not that it wasn't on TV here in '78, too. Anyhoo, ignore the "Never Made" tag... cuz the Landram was released.

Still, this is a very rare toy... I've never seen one in real life. Wonder if anybody here has one?

I'd guess that the other "Holy" item would be the big Mattel Galactica from '78... I saw one of those protos on eBay fairly recently.

I wish they'd done a Titanium Landram... they appear (briefly) in the new BSG series, too.

JediTricks
01-19-2009, 08:18 PM
Dang, that Galactica is really nice for the era, is it only a prototype as well? Looks like a progenitor of the Action Fleet line.

Darth Duranium
01-20-2009, 01:24 PM
The Landram was produced in small numbers and released in Canada (slightly different than this proto), but the Galactica never made it past test shots/ proto stage, from what I've read.

I think they'd be more in scale with the 3 3/4" figs than AF... they're pretty big. But as you say, very nice for the era.

I saw one of the BSG protos for sale on eBay last year... can't remember the price it went for... but it sure wasn't in my price range. It's the only time I've ever seen one for sale anywhere.

clone157
01-23-2009, 06:06 PM
Wasn't that BSG the one that caused all the commotion that led to the more strict regulations about lauching projectiles? I think I remember seeing pics in Tomart's Action Figure Digest. I think some kid got a Viper to the eye.

JediTricks
01-23-2009, 09:49 PM
It was a Viper (from Mattel), but it wasn't to the eye. The kid put the nose of the Viper in his mouth, the missile was in the nose and the launch button was right above it, the kid's teeth hit the button and the missile went down his throat, depriving him of oxygen for several minutes which ultimately was the main contributing factor to his death several days later. This led to the recall of the BSG line's missiles (not the whole toy), which got the recallee a free Hot Wheels car (how generous), and later versions had the missile glued to the nose with the launch system taken out.

Kenner, having seen what Mattel went through, altered the spring-loaded firing backpack on the Boba Fett design they had so it wouldn't fire. The US government regulations on spring-loaded missiles also required them to be around 3" in length or longer so they wouldn't prove as significant a choking hazard.