PDA

View Full Version : Prequels=****

neosapian77
01-16-2009, 07:49 PM
Look besides my offensive title, I have reasons for it. I can complain like every other fan but I think you guys no why. Bad story, ****ty special effects (the sound and cgi in the whole opening sequence of EP3 was awful and don't even get me started w/ the opening speeder chase of Ep2). Besides the bad story and ****ty dialogue . I think these prequels would've been done much better in someone else's hands. (and they were in Tartakovsky's Clone Wars series)

I still love the prequel toys and comics but I hate those ****en movies. Look at the OT and then look at the PT. It's like Aliens and then watching Alien Ressurection.

Beast
01-16-2009, 08:02 PM
Stillakid, is that you?

I wholeheartedly disagree with your entire opinion.

And any opinion that requires foul language, even if it's ****'d out isn't worth listening to in the first place. Also, work on grammar and spelling.

bigbarada
01-16-2009, 08:29 PM
I don't think the Prequels are that bad. Compared to 90% of the sci-fi films being released today, they're actually really good (did anyone here watch Babylon A.D.? That movie was crap). However, I just don't feel that they are up to par with the original films and I think their story line creates more confusion about Darth Vader's origin than anything else.

That's my only beef, otherwise, they're very good C-grade films. Whereas the OT were great A-grade films.

Darth Jax
01-16-2009, 08:40 PM
i thought it was peoples that = ****. least thats what slipknot teaches us.

Exhaust Port
01-16-2009, 09:10 PM
**** = cats?

**** = yumm?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-16-2009, 09:32 PM
I can only assume that he has given the prequels a four-star rating.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-16-2009, 09:41 PM
Stillakid, is that you?That was my thought as well, but he doesn't usually use that much censored language.

I wholeheartedly disagree with your entire opinion.As do I. I certainly don't see what was so great about the Tartakovsky Clone Wars series. I enjoyed watching it, but I like the prequels better.

After the conclusion of the prequels, I can look back on them and see that they failed to live up to the promise of the original trilogy, and didn't tie everything together as well as they should have. However, I think that was a failing of Episodes II and III. I was quite happy with TPM from the very beginning while so many others were trashing it.

neosapian77
01-17-2009, 10:58 AM
That was my thought as well, but he doesn't usually use that much censored language.

As do I. I certainly don't see what was so great about the Tartakovsky Clone Wars series. I enjoyed watching it, but I like the prequels better.

After the conclusion of the prequels, I can look back on them and see that they failed to live up to the promise of the original trilogy, and didn't tie everything together as well as they should have. However, I think that was a failing of Episodes II and III. I was quite happy with TPM from the very beginning while so many others were trashing it.

What was so great about Tartakovsky's Clone Wars series was the animation (each episode gave you the feeling of epic) , the characters (were handled and evolved much more than in the movies), and the writing (though simple alot of those episodes had their own meanings).

As a person who loves movies and sci-fi I loved the OT for it's writing and the way it handled it's characters (it was genius). Many ppl had the same idea of what the prequel trilogy would be like which was:
-the clone wars
-jedi vs. sith action

We hardly got any of that in the prequel trilogy. We didn't even get Korriban or the Clone Wars. Which was the era this trilogy should have covered and in my opinion started off w/.

If I had to choose one movie out of the PT that is the least flawed it would have to be TPM. But there are much better sci-fi movies and like BigB said "at best they are C-level films. (and they are if you choose to accept them that way.)

But I think the fans deserve better than that dummed down crap01. I deserve better if I'm buying the merchandise.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-17-2009, 12:52 PM
But I think the fans deserve better than that dummed down crap01. I deserve better if I'm buying the merchandise.
Hey look, it really is Junior Stillakid. If you don't like the movies, then don't buy the stuff. And, according to your YouTube video, you have a lot of stuff, especially for someone who thinks the prequels are ****. That is absolutely mind-boggling; so is the fact that you think Lucas should have catered to your tastes because you own some action figures.

Hey look, 7,000 posts.

Beast
01-17-2009, 01:04 PM
Hey look, it really is Junior Stillakid. If you don't like the movies, then don't buy the stuff. And, according to your YouTube video, you have a lot of stuff, especially for someone who thinks the prequels are ****. That is absolutely mind-boggling; so is the fact that you think Lucas should have catered to your tastes because you own some action figures.

Hey look, 7,000 posts.
Word.

It's funny how the OP praises the last Clone Wars toon for character development. Wasn't the last toon basically nothing but action set pieces, due to how short they were. Frankly I prefer the new Clone Wars toon and the Prequels over the Samurai Jack knockoffs.

And he also brings up a point that "Many people had the same idea about what the prequels should be". And that's part of the problem. People spent 20 years building up preconcieved notions about what the films should be. Such as the OP who expected Jedi Vs. Sith battles, even though we knew the Sith were all but extinct at that point. And nothing was going to live up to the hype and expectations. Especially when you add 20+ years of age to the kids and teens who grew up with the OT.

I for one enjoyed the prequels. And still enjoy the prequels. And probably watch them more than the OT. Especially the first two. Revenge of the Sith was kinda depressing, and I only toss it in when I'm watching the whole Saga from start to finish. Heh. I even saw it the least of the Prequels in the theater fror that reason. Phantom Menace: 20 times, Attack of the Clones: 8 times, Revenge of the Sith: 2 times.

The idea that because you bought some action figures that you should be catered to one of the most absurd things I've ever read. Sadly I've seen it from more than the OP. The very idea that you're owed something because you bought a movie ticket or a toy is just one of the most annoying mindsets I've ever seen. You got your entertainment or your toy for the money you spent. It didn't get you shares of the film franchise.

2-1B
01-17-2009, 01:23 PM
Tartakovsky's Clone Wars...(each episode gave you the feeling of epic)

No they didn't.

Maybe they gave you the feeling of epic but they gave me the feeling of bad drawings with goofy antics and lame versions of the characters.

Of course, many people feel the same way about the prequels...I guess Tartakovsky's Clone Wars are to me as the prequels are to other people.

Genndy's Clone Wars make Lucas' prequels look like Academy Award frontrunners.

Besides, there is no 2-1B in Genndy's world, unlike the prequels. :deuce:

neosapian77
01-17-2009, 01:26 PM
No they didn't.

Maybe they gave you the feeling of epic but they gave me the feeling of bad drawings with goofy antics and lame versions of the characters.

Of course, many people feel the same way about the prequels...I guess Tartakovsky's Clone Wars are to me as the prequels are to other people.

Genndy's Clone Wars make Lucas' prequels look like Academy Award frontrunners.

Besides, there is no 2-1B in Genndy's world, unlike the prequels. :deuce:

Well to each his own i guess

Devo
01-17-2009, 06:53 PM
I can only assume that he has given the prequels a four-star rating.

lol

However I agree with the OP's opinion on the prequels. At this time though, I feel no great need to indulge in prequel bashing round#151. Unless one of you prequel-loving filth say something silly :p

Beast
01-17-2009, 07:00 PM
lol

However I agree with the OP's opinion on the prequels. At this time though, I feel no great need to indulge in prequel bashing round#151. Unless one of you prequel-loving filth say something silly :p
Jar Jar Binks rocks!

Mad Slanted Powers
01-17-2009, 07:06 PM
Coruscant was a total rip-off of the Jetsons.

Devo
01-17-2009, 07:48 PM
GAH! Prequel-loving sub-humans!

JON9000
01-17-2009, 08:30 PM
I've seen exactly one episode of Clone Wars and it starred Jar Jar and 3po.

And you know what? I secretly enjoyed it. It's hard to believe that Jar Jar ad been out of action for 10 years, but with ten years to acclimate myself to Jar Jar, it was good to see him.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-17-2009, 08:33 PM
GAH! Prequel-loving sub-humans!

But we are all DEVO.

neosapian77
01-18-2009, 01:14 AM
I'm a guy who finds anything funny (abortion,rwanda, you name it and I find it hilarious) but if there's one thing that makes me cringe. It makes me cringe into a ball and be all serious (lurking in the shadows) and hating existence in general it has to be the PT.

I'm guessing most of the guys on this forum are fans of it and that's kool ; I guess I'm just really surprised about how many ppl liked those movies

Devo
01-18-2009, 08:05 PM
I too have been surprised how many like them on this and other forums. They certainly didn't seem to me to be that vocal a group at the times of the films respective releases (with some exceptions I'm sure). I think at least some of todays PT lovers are part of a 'backlash' movement. Any overwhelmingly common opinion inevitable spawns a trendy backlash.

Everyone loved Titanic when that came out so ever since its been trendy to say how overrated it is. The same is now occuring with The Dark Knight. However, with each Star wars prequel, opinion was overwhelmingly negative as I recall, if not immediatley then shortly afterwards - I came out of each film thinking 'that was fun' but then subsequent viewings revealed to me how very shallow they were as films. Most people who weren't 10 years old felt the same. We see film magazines who gave them 4 or 5 star reviews to coincide with their cinema releases now giving rather less kind reviews in hindsight. Yet now a lot of prequel fans have emerged. And IMO it is they who form 'the backlash' not those of us who hate the PT.

Beast
01-18-2009, 08:22 PM
I stated from the beginning how terrible Titanic was.

And how overrated and awful Dark Knight was.

And loved the Prequels when they came out.

So I win. I was ahead of my time. :)

Darth Jax
01-18-2009, 08:42 PM
the prequels aren't as good as the original trilogy. does that make them bad movies, not necessarily. the prequels are still superior to many movies that come out (except maybe AOTC).

i liked TDK and feel its superior to all the PT.

i hated titanic from before i ever saw it, and only saw it because the girl at the time insisted.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-18-2009, 08:56 PM
I liked TPM from the beginning, but I didn't post on message boards until I started here just after AOTC. There was plenty of hate of TPM from the very beginning. It was pretty trendy to be bashing on TPM, and at the same time, everyone was praising The Matrix. The latter even beat out TPM for the effects awards at the Oscars.

I've never seen Titanic, so I can't really comment on it.

I saw The Dark Night and I thought it was pretty good. I haven't heard of any backlash on it. It is showing up on year end best lists and will probably be nominated for best picture. I do recall when it first came out, it sounded as if there might have been some complaints about it. Maybe I just misunderstood what Kevin Pereira was trying to say on an episode of Attack of the Show. I don't think he said much at that time since he didn't want to give out any spoilers. I think maybe he was just complaining about the length or something.

I think it's possible that it is getting higher praise than it deserves because of the Heath Ledger factor. Otherwise, a comic book movie might not be taken too seriously. Also, a lot of reviews talk about how it is reflecting the darker aspects of the current sociopolitical state of our country, so perhaps all those people who are disgruntled by the Bush administration and all the bad things that are going on now identify with it on a deeper level somehow. As Owen Gleiberman wrote in a year in review issue of Entertainment Weekly: "The Dark Knight became the zeitgeist movie of the year, if not the decade, by holding a cracked mirror up to an America that felt besieged and consumed by forces beyond its understanding or control." In the same issue, Lisa Schwarzbaum wrote, "Watched again with the passage of time and the changing, too, of the American political landscape, Christopher Nolan's triump of comic-book relevance, starring Christian Bale as a superhero uneasy with his calling in a city anesthetized to matter-of-fact evil, takes on new and even more poignant shadings of relevance."

Devo
01-18-2009, 09:35 PM
Might aswell state my positions then:

Titanic - loved it at the time (I was 15) and still quite like it (at 26, and a completely heterosexual male like I was in 1997)

The Dark Knight - loved it immediatley and still do (though I've watched it a tad too much in too short a time, giving it a rest for a few months)

TPM - at the time I cringed at jar jar but enjoyed it overall. I soon came to hate it but since 2005 have realised things would get no better and I consider this the best of the PT (now thats me being a rebel)

AOTC - Again I enjoyed it on first viewing, today I still enjoy some of the sequences. But mostly I have a dim view of it and all it failed to do. As with TPM before it, I considered it a poor film long before the next film would be released and was hoping, against better judgement, that with the next film lucas would remember what it is above all else that has allowed the OT to withstand the test of time. Clue: not special effects

ROTS - as with the others I found it enjoyable fare on first viewing but now consider it fatally flawed and the worst of the PT. Deduced that ultimately it is all about special effects and CGI for george lucas. ANH was a fluke, ESB by the grace of god wound up being even better because Lucas was tired out on the first one and handed it to better people and ROTJ, though a copy of ANH and with some ominous hints of what was to come, still managed to be pretty good. The CGfest prequels were a stepping stone into the way Lucas would have wanted to make star wars all along - no actors, no sets, no props, barely any scripting necessary - wall-to-wall CGI. Buggered if I'm interested in watching that.

Slicker
01-18-2009, 11:18 PM
I stated from the beginning how terrible Titanic was.

And how overrated and awful Dark Knight was.

And loved the Prequels when they came out.

So I win. I was ahead of my time. :)You also predicted that Episode III would be called "Revenge of the Sith"...seriously he did...

I would take the OT ANY day but I love the PT as well. I even made myself suffer through AOTC a while back and it's not as bad as I remember. I think if you take time away from them and don't get burned out they regain some of there luster.

Kaptain Curk
01-21-2009, 05:57 PM
the star wars prequels make star trek voyager seem like a joy to watch. yay for captain janeway!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-21-2009, 06:10 PM
I've loved all six of the movies ever since I saw them. My opinions on each and how they relate to each other fluctuates over time but I take offense at being called part of a "trendy backlash" (even inadvertently). I hate when people assume, when people's opinions are different than their own, that they are just mindless idiots going with the crowd and could not possibly form their own, different opinions.

Devo
01-21-2009, 07:21 PM
Sorry Jabbajohn. At times I do find myself unnecessarily perplexed by peoples opposing opinions on insignificant matters such as 'are the prequels good' and 'should hasbro keep using softgoods'. I'm tiring myself out.

neosapian77
01-21-2009, 07:50 PM
Sorry Jabbajohn. At times I do find myself unnecessarily perplexed by peoples opposing opinions on insignificant matters such as 'are the prequels good' and 'should hasbro keep using softgoods'. I'm tiring myself out.

Don't tire yourself Devo I comletely agree w/ what you are saying. The prequel liking is a backlash because I remember how negative these forums were when episode 1 came out. (w/ exception to those who actually enjoyed them. how? don't ask me.)

Everything about the prequels screams weak film-making. The love and charisma between Anakin and Padme seemed so forced. And the over-all tone of the trilogy didn't feel like SW at all.

I have major problems w/ each movie.

TPM- Jar Jar didn't bother me as much as that douche01 little kid who played Anakin did.

AOTC- This was supposed to be a war movie. From the very beginning we were told that we were gonna see the Clone Wars. And a love movie can be about war too. Lucas just didn't know how to direct romance.

ROTS- The space battle was sooooo short and when Anakin finally hunts down the jedi it's only in 10 milisecond glimpses. O and Lucas RAPED Grevious from what he was in the animated series.

Look besides complaining about what should've been done these movies are just bad movies in general.

P.S. I loved Titanic and adored the DK aswell. Anyone who hated them has serious problems (DK at least. How can someone not at least like that movie?) But everyone's entitled to their own opininons. Let the talkback ensue.:D

Darth_Angel_80
01-21-2009, 08:40 PM
Ahh it's always a joy to know that whenever there is nothing good on tv, I can come to the forums and be entertained by what goes on.

I for one am one of the few on this forum and other forums who actually liked the PT when they first came out and still do to this day. Were they a bit CG heavy, yes.

But considering the fact that Lucas always would say that he never liked the way the special effects came out on the OT, and how he was never happy with the Cantina/Jabba's Palace whenever he was interviewed, is it really that surprising that he would go as far as he did in the PT? Not really.

Also lets not forget that a good majority of what the PT was based off of was originally written when he wrote the OT back in the 1970's, during the Watergate/Vietnam era. So of course some of the back story was going to seem a bit watered down. Let's be honest how good with the OT be if it was released today and the PT was released in the late 70's and early 80's. How many of you out there that think the PT sucks would be saying that about the OT? I think that is what it really comes down to is how relevant is it to today's day and age, considering that the OT was so groundbreaking and innovative and ahead of its time when they were originally released. In an age where most movies are all about Special effects (i.e. The Matrix, LOTR, Harry Potter, etc.) and a lot of movies are judged on how well the special effects are, it is only natural for the story to get lost in the translation.

The biggest problem that I have/had with PT is the horrid NOOOO from Vader at the end of ROTS. Otherwise I would have to say that ROTS was my favorite out of the prequels.

And by the way... Titanic was horrid (how campy can you be Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet? The constant playing of my heart will go on, and the cat and mouse game that goes on between the 2 stars. That's even too gay for me, and I'm a homo.) The Dark Knight boring... then again after Michael Keaton stopped portraying Bruce Wayne, the Batman movies have sucked. The Matrix yawn (ooh lets use a high speed camera and wires and film Keanu doging a bullet in 10 different ways). I'd watch the PT AND the OT any day over those crap movies.

Devo
01-21-2009, 09:17 PM
Don't tire yourself Devo I comletely agree w/ what you are saying. The prequel liking is a backlash because I remember how negative these forums were when episode 1 came out.

If you were around back then it must be either the longest 'lurking' period on a forum I've ever known since the inception of forums like this (since you seemed to only join recently) or you've previously been a member under a different name!...really - are you Stillakid?!! :D

TPM- Jar Jar didn't bother me as much as that douche01 little kid who played Anakin did.

My problem was I just felt it was the wrong move to ever show Darth Vader so young. It really detracted from my ability to take the new anakin seriously as a pre-Darth Vader (despite the irrationality of that - we were all kids once). I just can't look at OT Darth Vader and ever think of him at one stage saying 'yippee!'. Its like they're not the same character.

Plus having Anakin so young set up the anakin/obi-wan relationship completely different to what I assumed it was - I assumed based on old bens dialogue that they were brotherly. By having such an age difference in the prequels it set it up theoretically as more like father/son dynamic - despite obi-wan saying 'You were my brother anakin' in ROTS (I didn't buy it, did you?) and despite the fact that no relationship between them was actually shown in Episode I - the other huge flaw of TPM - all we saw in TPM was them being introduced to eachother. That was a ridiculous waste and underlines how pointless a character Qui-Gon Jinn was. Why couldn't Obi-wan have filled his role?

O and Lucas RAPED Grevious from what he was in the animated series.

Same difference to me really - sure he was more threatening in the cartoon but I don't think he should have been in the film anyway. The final film in the saga didn't need a brand new villain that we knew would ultimately be killed off and then never mentioned again in the chronology of the series. Count Dooku would have sufficed for the first half of the film. We would have had a bit of consistency, bringing someone forward from AOTC and then giving him a bigger role. Christopher Lee was utterly wasted in ROTS. (no I don't mean drunk or high :D, I mean underused)

P.S. I loved Titanic and adored the DK aswell. Anyone who hated them has serious problems (DK at least. How can someone not at least like that movie?) But everyone's entitled to their own opininons. Let the talkback ensue.:D

Good on you for admitting to loving Titanic. I know my brother liked it when he first saw it but now would never watch it - I'm convinced he's one of these backlash people I mentioned - hes embarrassed by the celine dion and dreamy DiCaprio associations and just considers it uncool to like the film. In fact my brother is the frontline basis for what I said about the trendy backlash.

As for TDK I agree, I don't understand why anyone would outright not like the film. I know of at least one person on Spawn.com who not so much didn't like it as 'refused' to like the film because, though he would not admit this, to like the film would have gone against his ideology - always go against the grain of opinion. If everyone loved a given film it was his job to hate on it, if everyone hated a given film it was his job to defend it. This is something that could be proven if someone took the time to dig up all his posts. Bet you can guess where he stood on the prequels. Yep, he thought they were fine. He was a good debater who could however come across as condescending like the aforementioned Stillakid - if Stillakid batted for the other side.

Devo
01-21-2009, 09:46 PM
Ahh it's always a joy to know that whenever there is nothing good on tv, I can come to the forums and be entertained by what goes on.

9 posts and you joined in 2004? You must have been watching a lot of TV! :p:D Welcome to the fray.

I for one am one of the few on this forum and other forums who actually liked the PT when they first came out and still do to this day.

Fair enough. You and jabbajohn are obviously not amongst the group I would call as part of the trendy backlash against PT hate.

Let's be honest how good with the OT be if it was released today and the PT was released in the late 70's and early 80's. How many of you out there that think the PT sucks would be saying that about the OT?

I have a similar argument about the film Pearl Harbour. If that film, featuring a fictional love story soundtracked by a sweeping love ballad with female vocals and set over a real historical event, had come out before Titanic - I believe it would be far more liked than it is. Titanic might be seen as the inferior 'copy'. In answer to your question, I believe I would still prefer the OT. I believe they are objectively superior films. I even prefer the special effects (with the modern cleanup).

In an age where most movies are all about Special effects (i.e. The Matrix, LOTR, Harry Potter, etc.) and a lot of movies are judged on how well the special effects are, it is only natural for the story to get lost in the translation.

Well I disagree with this. The movies you mentioned weren't all about special fx - they 'used' special fx where needed to assist the stories. Lucas drowned the PT in it. And films aren't judged on how good the effects are - at least not anymore and not during the PTs time. Films cannot stand by their CGI alone because CGI has lost all its novelty value. It was new in the likes of T2,Jurassic park and Independance Day but it quickly lost that 'ohmygod look at how cool that looks' excitement factor. Movies have to have more soul than the superficialities of CGI and this is where Lucas plainly has it wrong.

And by the way... Titanic was horrid (how campy can you be Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet? The constant playing of my heart will go on, and the cat and mouse game that goes on between the 2 stars. That's even too gay for me, and I'm a homo.)

No wayyyyyyy. I don't call that gay. The constant playing of Celine dion had nothing to do with the film - that was the response to the film with all the teenage girls playing it repeatedly and singing along. I think thats what has reflected on the film for a lot of people.

bigbarada
01-22-2009, 01:53 AM
I like Titanic when it came out for the historical aspects of the story. I know there were some inaccuracies, but it was still enough to really give you a feel of how horrible that must have been for the passengers stuck on the boat. The whole lovestory aspect was a sidebar that I was able to look beyond.

I really liked TPM when it first came out, I also like AOTC for a while until the DVD came out and I realized that I grew more and more annoyed with the story upon repeat viewing. It only took one viewing of ROTS to completely kill any faith I once had in Lucas' moviemaking ability. I watched it on opening day in 2005 and I actually stopped being a Star War fan for several months afterward, I hated it that badly.

Right now, I'm a little more forgiving of ROTS, but TPM is frustrating to watch just because of the knowledge of how badly Lucas screwed up the next two films. AOTC has a few fun scenes to watch, but I don't think I've sat all the way through the movie since 2003.

I did see The Dark Knight a few weeks ago on DVD, it was alright. It entertained me for what felt like 5 hours, but I don't think I ever need to watch it again.

However, if repeat viewings is an indicator of how good a movie is, then I think that would make Kung Fu Panda my pick for best movie of the year with Wall-E in a close race for second. I rented Kung Fu Panda for one night and i probably watched it six times before taking it back the next day. I love that movie.:)

Slicker
01-22-2009, 05:00 AM
I love lamp.

Jargo
01-22-2009, 12:34 PM
I can't stand any of the star wars movies anymore. Tiresome tosh.

bigbarada
01-23-2009, 03:06 AM
I can't stand any of the star wars movies anymore. Tiresome tosh.

I'm kind of in the same boat, I can't remember the last time I sat through a Star Wars movie in it's entirety without finding something else to do, and essentially ignoring the movie, or just falling asleep. ANH usually puts me right to sleep nowadays.

Although I still enjoy watching the Hoth Battle from Empire Strikes Back. I also still watch the Skiff Battle from time to time, but more for research than enjoyment.

Slicker
01-23-2009, 04:28 AM
I actually just watched all 6 of the movies (in consecutive nights) and still enjoyed them. I even didn't loathe EPII as much.

Jargo
01-23-2009, 07:13 AM
my problem is I like the design work on the movies. I really appreciate the creative talent behind them all. the artistry of costumes and props and sets. the model work and matte paintings. because of the depth of detailing.

I just don't care about any of the characters or the plot. If I ever watch the movies I do so with the sound off. And I tend to only watch a few scenes at a time. and skip stuff like space battles. especially the pod race and opening battle of episode three. which is a confusing mess as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather sit through hours of documentary on the behind the scenes stuff.

Devo
01-23-2009, 10:29 AM
Strange. I combat star wars fatigue by only watching them when I really feel like it. Maybe twice a year.

El Chuxter
01-23-2009, 03:26 PM
I don't think you're stupid, JJL. Everyone else who disagrees with me is, though. lol

(Kidding!!)

I think ROTS is the weak link. In some ways, it's the best-made of the series. However, George essentially wasted four-and-a-half hours of storytelling in the first two, and crammed it all into the third. ROTS could've saved the entire prequel trilogy. Instead, it was itself half-wasted with action sequences involving Grievous that added nothing to the plot, and we get schizo Anakin suddenly slashing up kids rather than a logical progression of his character.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-23-2009, 05:10 PM
Instead, it was itself half-wasted with action sequences involving Grievous that added nothing to the plot, and we get schizo Anakin suddenly slashing up kids rather than a logical progression of his character.
Particularly when you watch them all in a row - as I just did last weekend - you'll see that the seeds are planted earlier on than that. I mean, he did kill kids in AOTC too, but nobody ever really mentions that.

Anyway, I also only watch them once or twice a year. Lately it's been about once a year, though, unfortunately. I don't want to get burned out on them but I would like to see them more often and get reminded of why I love them in the first place.

Slicker
01-23-2009, 07:31 PM
Don't make me get stilldik in here to tell you that you're wrong for liking the PT. I swear I'll do it!

Phantom-like Menace
01-25-2009, 04:58 PM
I've got nothing better to do. . . .

I never hated TPM, but Jar-Jar has never, ever, been anything to me but a horror straight out of the mind of a man who couldn't stop talking down to children long enough to make a movie for the actual enjoyment of anyone, let alone children. I dare say, if Jar-Jar had never made his debut in anything more than complete farce outside of the movies proper, TPM would have been heralded as the return of Star Wars that it actually should have been. His presence--as much as anyone wants to argue that it's simply vogue to complain about him--single-handedly strangled the enjoyment out of that film.

I'll admit my opinion of AotC changed fairly significantly since I first watched it. I remember having watched it and sitting out in the parking lot with two of my friends. I said it was better than TPM, and my friend argued that it wasn't even as good. I did argue that the lightsaber duels were atrocious, boring and poorly edited. In time I came to feel that my opinion of Episode II was colored by the lessened involvement of Jar-Jar. After I mentally excised that malignant tumor on the prequels, I realized TPM was actually pretty cool, and AotC really didn't have much going for it beyond Natalie Portman looking pretty hot and tempting.

Revenge of the Sith made the biggest gains and worst mistakes of the prequels. Its biggest gain was that it wasn't made with the enjoyment of developmentally disabled children in mind. It was more adult because it had to be. Lucas realized there was no way to tell his story without Anakin's being fubar. Its greatest mistake was the rushed nature of Anakin's fall. There was no reason that much had to be saved until Episode III, especially with all the complaining Lucas did about not having enough story for AotC. Its second greatest mistake was in gutting the final duel of any real emotion by making it a CGI nonsense of lava surfing (Lava surfing? Seriously George?) and some BS about the high ground. And the way this movie handled Padme as a confused, spineless incompetent with an unhealthy attachment to a psychopath and disregard for the safety of her unborn children was inexcusable. I'll possibly make my final peace with TPM some day and abort Jar-Jar from it and compare it more favorably to RotS than I do, but right now I like RotS the best from the prequels.

As for Tartakovsky's Clone Wars, they were good, but they weren't what some make them out to be. I'm sure Tartajovsky himself would shrug and say they were just some little cartoons to be played before Episode III and nothing more significant than that.

Finally, I don't view cursing as having anything to do with a lack of intelligence or merit any more than I think not cursing has anything to do with an abundance of intelligence or merit. In fact, I think the notion that it shows intelligence is childish, that it has as much to do with indication of intelligence as belief in Santa Claus or the Tooth Fairy. There are times to say excrement, and there are times to say ****, and there are even times to say poo. I curse frequently, honestly not nearly as much as I like, because there just aren't enough hours in the day, and I remember one of my managers saying that cursing is an indication of lack of vocabulary. I just laughed at him, because I wanted to challenge him to a vocabulary contest. As a handicap, I'd come up with as many four-letter words as I could and add that to his total score, and just to be a nice guy, I'd let him choose the language. Needless to say, I'm projecting he would have chosen English and horribly lost.

Phantom-like Menace
01-25-2009, 05:05 PM
I know: double post.

Particularly when you watch them all in a row - as I just did last weekend - you'll see that the seeds are planted earlier on than that. I mean, he did kill kids in AOTC too, but nobody ever really mentions that.

In everyone's defense, that's because Lucas violated one of the cardinal rules of storytelling: show don't tell. He couldn't show Anakin becoming Darth Vader because that would upset the little children.

Kaptain Curk
01-26-2009, 10:25 AM
why is boba fet the dad of all the stormtroopers? that is lame

Qui-Long Gone
01-26-2009, 05:11 PM
I was thinking about this stuff this weekend watching the OT with my kids.

*Not to take away from Lucas' poor choices, but he did have some things going against him in the prequels.

1. How do you surprise an audience with awe and wonder like that first chase after the opening crawl in ANH? The sight of that destroyer chasing the princess above Tatooine was jaw-dropping back in the 70s.....in other words, the scope of the OT was far grander than the Prequels...

2. The prequels featured really good secondary characters....think Fett, Yoda, and Lando in ESB (but don't think Ewoks in Jedi). Not only did the core characters propell the story, but these secondary characters made the plots richer and more interesting.

3. Expectations: I can't decide, did Lucas have too high expectations on himself as a writer/director, or did the fans have too high expectations that lightning would strike twice?

????

TheDarthVader
01-26-2009, 07:10 PM
I want to say that I heard a lot of people raving about TDK. I finally saw it when it came out on DVD and felt it was way overrated. I think all of the hype was due to the whole ledger thing. I still like Burton's batmans best.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-26-2009, 07:59 PM
why is boba fet the dad of all the stormtroopers? that is lameHe is not. Jango is. Please explain why it is lame.

JON9000
01-26-2009, 08:06 PM
The farther out I get from TPM, the more I am just able to enjoy it. Even the cheesy, cornball jokes have taken on a sort of perverse charm. Really, in some ways I enjoy it more than AOTC now, which just kinda feels like filler.

I've always liked ROTS. To me, it feels very Star Wars, very epic. And I just love Ian McDiarmid in it. As the old school Emp, he was just a mean guy you don't really see until the end, nothing more than "Darth Vader's Boss" as we described him as tykes in 83. Now, he's a character all his own, and I can say that I enjoy ROTJ more now, having seen Sith.

I will say without reservation that I love the look of all the movies. I have a plasma, and short of Speed Racer, nothing makes the colors pop like the preqs.

Kaptain Curk
01-27-2009, 07:47 PM
He is not. Jango is. Please explain why it is lame.

because jargo fet is lame because he got killed by the guy from snakes on a plane then his kid got killed in a lame way when they were on arrakis when starbuck hit him in the back with a big pole he crashed into the wall and fell into the hole and was eaten up by that big worm. it was a total rip off from beetlejuice.

Kaptain Curk
01-27-2009, 07:50 PM
oh then starbuck and hanslolo and chewbaca had to pick up twinky because he was in the sand

Beast
01-27-2009, 08:16 PM
I want to say that I heard a lot of people raving about TDK. I finally saw it when it came out on DVD and felt it was way overrated. I think all of the hype was due to the whole ledger thing. I still like Burton's batmans best.
Yay! Someone else who's got good taste! :D

Beast
01-27-2009, 08:17 PM
because jargo fet is lame because he got killed by the guy from snakes on a plane then his kid got killed in a lame way when they were on arrakis when starbuck hit him in the back with a big pole he crashed into the wall and fell into the hole and was eaten up by that big worm. it was a total rip off from beetlejuice.
O....kay.

Please tell me you're just a very bad troll. Cause wow.

I'm really sad for the current generation if not. Actually, I am either way.

bigbarada
01-27-2009, 09:24 PM

Wow.

O....kay.

Please tell me you're just a very bad troll. Cause wow.

I'm really sad for the current generation if not. Actually, I am either way.

It has to be a fake post, no one can be that stupid.

Do I even need to mention that Beetlejuice came out in 1988 and Return of the Jedi came out in 1983? How can you rip off a movie half-a-decade before it is even released?

Mad Slanted Powers
01-27-2009, 10:46 PM
Wow.

It has to be a fake post, no one can be that stupid.

Do I even need to mention that Beetlejuice came out in 1988 and Return of the Jedi came out in 1983? How can you rip off a movie half-a-decade before it is even released?Also, TPM came out before Snakes on a Plane. Besides, Samuel L. Jackson is a bad @ss mofo. No shame in being killed by his character.

bigbarada
01-27-2009, 10:51 PM
True, and don't even get me started on the Battlestar Galactica and Buck Rogers comparisons. Those shows never tried to hide the fact that they were "inspired by" the original Star Wars.

El Chuxter
01-28-2009, 01:11 PM
Buck Rogers originated in the 1920s, and, in fact, Lucas used the old serials as inspiration himself.

Return of the Jedi also ripped of Masters of the Universe (1987).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RY7Viy4NJ3M

(It's funnier in German. Less cringe-inducing. I can't find the video ROTJ ripped off, where He-Man throws Skeletor down a shaft and he's zapping the walls with force lightning. And that movie gets ripped off a lot. Stan Lee ripped it off in an otherwise classic 1966 Captain America story (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdfZbWo6_xQ).)

bigbarada
01-28-2009, 02:48 PM
Buck Rogers originated in the 1920s, and, in fact, Lucas used the old serials as inspiration himself.

True, but I was thinking of Kaptain Curk's mention of Twinky as a reference to the 1970s/80s TV series with Gil Gerard.

El Chuxter
01-28-2009, 02:56 PM
Biddi biddi biddi... okay Buck!

Isn't it "Twikki," Kurk? It's been a while, so I might be wrong.

bigbarada
01-28-2009, 03:03 PM
Has anyone seen a recent photo of Gil Gerard? :eek: Egads! Someone get that man a portable air conditioner fast!

Qui-Long Gone
01-28-2009, 04:26 PM
Is that a man-bra of sweat? unghhhhh