PDA

View Full Version : Do you stay inside when it is cold outdoors?

Tycho
01-17-2009, 01:38 AM
I'm hybernating like Poppa-Bear!

It's cold out there. And it's Friday night. But on top of not feeling too well, I don't want to be out in the cold.

I'm very comfortable indoors with my heater on.

Right now, I think I could stay here until summer time!

Aside from it being lonely, I'm warm and healthier this way.

bigbarada
01-17-2009, 01:52 AM
It's 12 F outside right now and I'm actually enjoying it; but I think I was built for the cold. I don't like being outside during the summer when it's too hot; but I look for reasons to go outside when it's cold like this.

Of course, I try not to stay outside too long because I'm not interested in hypothermia, frostbite, or any of those other cold weather injuries.

Your body also burns calories faster in the cold because it's trying to generate heat. That's why most people have an increased appetite (especially for sweets) during the winter.

Jedi_Kal-El
01-17-2009, 02:12 AM
I do stay inside during the winter cause it's too dang cold to go out and do antything.

LTBasker
01-17-2009, 02:12 AM
I don't have much reason to go outside at this present time, so warm or cold it doesn't matter. Though, when I do wander my way outside I prefer it to be cold, and I absolutely hate going outside during the summer.

The exception is if going outside involves manual labor, in which case I prefer spring or fall.

bobafrett
01-17-2009, 07:05 AM
I was out delivering pizza's last night in temperatures that started at 5 above, and by the time I got off of work last night were at 4 below. Frigid.

Tycho
01-17-2009, 09:11 AM
I can't say anything about temperature when the lowest California seems to be dropping to is about the high 40's, if it even gets that low.

But I'm a thin frame and am anemic on top of that, so the cold really bites me.

California has no humidity in its heat, so I love the hot DRY air of the summer time here. The 70's are comfortable and the 80's are perfect. Right now, at least when the sun is out, that is exactly what the weather's like here, even now in January. But nighttime is another matter.

Darth Jax
01-17-2009, 10:34 AM
i stay indoors cuz i don't like the outdoors mostly

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-17-2009, 10:45 AM
Nah, I'm from the chicago area and have been in the midwest all my life, so i'm used to frigid temps. The other morning when I woke up to head to teach, it was -8 outside and classes were still going on and people were out and about. I heard some folks complaining about it. It's cold, yes, deal with it. :thumbsup:

TeeEye7
01-17-2009, 11:23 AM
Hot or cold, probably 90% of my work is outdoors. As much as I'd like to stay inside, I don't have a choice!

DarthQuack
01-17-2009, 12:56 PM
Well thankfully I work indoors at the television station....but the A/C is always on....so it's chilly in here....then again....in the summer it's just as chilly so even coming in out of the heat makes it kinda cold too.

Snowtrooper
01-17-2009, 01:24 PM
Alot of my work is outside, so you have to suck it up and get used to it although I would prefer to stay indoors during the cold. Nice thing is when you do get used to working in subzero conditions, 20 degrees seems like summertime.

dr_evazan22
01-17-2009, 02:15 PM
Just like TI and Snowtrooper, most of my work is outdoors. I don't mind the cold per se, what I hate is the wind that makes it SO much worse. If the winds are calm and your in the sun, it feels fine. What sucks is when its so cold that it comes up thru the metal truck, thru your shoes, then your cold-SOL.

I ended up wearing 6 layers on top and 2 (3) on bottom.
Top: thermal, turtleneck, poly/cotton blend t (poly for warmth), and 2 l/s T's, plus uniform shirt (poly). As the temp dropped in the pm I added my uniform vest and still had my jacket in reserve.

Bottom: long johns and boxers under uniform pants. Was surprised I was able to get the pants buttoned with all that stuffed in the waist.

Worse then the cold was the people that felt compelled to ask "Cold enough for ya?"

bobafrett
01-17-2009, 02:28 PM
I work indoors at Wal-Mart where in the winter the area I work at along the back corner of the warehouse it gets cold. Then when I deliver pizza, I go from warm car, to standing out in the cold, then back into a warm car, then into a pizzeria, and repeat. I just learn to layer when the temperatures drop.

Ji'dai
01-17-2009, 06:24 PM
I've pretty much stayed indoors since the weather turned colder back in November. I had a nasty two-week cold in early December so I pretty much sat inside and took it easy, though I did go to work everyday. I had laryngitis for an entire week and could barely speak.

Now it's really frigid outside so I spend most of my time watching movies or reorganizing stuff. I organized my closet last weekend. I put most of my warm weather clothes into totes and put them in the garage until spring. I spent several hours last night and today transferring my DVD collection into storage albums and boxing up the clamshells. I freed up some shelf space and now all of my movies are literally at my fingertips.

Last Fall I began cataloguing my comic collection and I'd like to finish that process soon. I created spreadsheets for each title and began scanning comic covers for an image database. I created thumbnails of each cover and imported them into the spreadsheet next to each issue entry as well. I have two more totes of comics to scan and I'll be done.

And I've still got toys to open. I've probably got two or three dozen LEGO sets that have never been built and figures and vehicles that need to be freed. Plus I like to do puzzles too, usually 1,000 piece ones. Anything below 500 pieces is too easy. I prefer puzzles featuring Americana artwork depicting small town life in the 19th or early 20th century.

TeeEye7
01-17-2009, 06:32 PM
...what I hate is the wind that makes it SO much worse.

Amen to that, Doc! If it's not making things feel colder or hotter, then it's pushing you around and making your work more difficult! :famouscaliforniasantaanawinds:

Tycho
01-17-2009, 08:36 PM
Norman Rockwell paintings turned into puzzles would be cool.

Blue2th
01-17-2009, 10:22 PM
I go outside when the sun comes out in the morning usually to have a cigarrette and coffee.
Even though it's cold the sun at this elevation when it's clear is intense. You can actually get a sunburn.
When I smoke I won't do it in my own house even if it's the coldest, if I want a ciggy I have to go outside and suffer.

TeeEye7
01-18-2009, 05:39 AM
It's been pretty dang nice these past couple o' days.....if I could send some of this nice SoCal weather eastward to my SSG buds I would! (Waves Jedi hand) :yes:

Darth Jax
01-18-2009, 10:32 AM
if only it were that easy, your smog problem could be... someone else's smog problem.

DarthBrandon
01-18-2009, 11:30 AM
Cold doesn't bother me,

in New Brunswick Canada the temp can go to -45, so anything you guys get; would be short & tee's for me.lol

In March I'm heading to Punta Cana (Dominican), & I'm looking forward to the tropical weather once again. The wife is dreading flying over the triangle, I on the other hand is quite content about it. Image if I did do a Houdini over the triangle, how cool would that be.;)

Tycho
01-18-2009, 11:32 AM
You could meet aliens. I bet they post in our forums here anyway.

DarthBrandon
01-18-2009, 12:04 PM
You could meet aliens. I bet they post in our forums here anyway.

If I do, I'll be sure to post pics if I can get by their security.:D

TeeEye7
01-18-2009, 03:39 PM
Cold doesn't bother me....

TI7 + cold = wuss. :cross-eye

Slicker
01-18-2009, 04:53 PM
TI7 + cold = wuss. :cross-eyeI feel ya. I don't care that I'm from Michigan. I never really get used to it being really cold. I can't stand having frozen feet and frozen hands but then having my torso be burning up.

bobafrett
01-18-2009, 07:20 PM
I think I've gotten mild frostbite in my fingers and ears from being out in the cold with no protection for those areas of my body.

DarthBrandon
01-19-2009, 08:27 AM
TI7 + cold = wuss. :cross-eye

Spend a winter here & we'll see who the wuss is.lol

TeeEye7
01-19-2009, 11:16 AM
Spend a winter here & we'll see who the wuss is.lol

It doesn't have to get below 60F for me to figure that out! :fishoutofwater:

Spending January and February in southern Idaho some years back was enough experience for me, sir! :dead: