PDA

View Full Version : New figures for 2009 (per INSIDER)

JEDIpartner
01-19-2009, 11:12 AM
Quite excited that we are getting some long-overdue figures!!!

Attack of the Clones - super-articulated Obi-Wan Kenobi
Return of the Jedi - Slave Leia with chalice, soft-goods skirt, removable chain and interchangeable legs for standing or reclining on Jabba's dias!
Return of the Jedi - Ultimate Jedi Luke Skywalker

WOOO!!! There are some other ones listed in the magazine, but I don't have it with me at work, so I cannot recall what they are. :)

obi-dad
01-19-2009, 11:20 AM
Quite excited that we are getting some long-overdue figures!!!

Attack of the Clones - super-articulated Obi-Wan Kenobi
Return of the Jedi - Slave Leia with chalice, soft-goods skirt, removable chain and interchangeable legs for standing or reclining on Jabba's dias!
Return of the Jedi - Ultimate Jedi Luke Skywalker

WOOO!!! There are some other ones listed in the magazine, but I don't have it with me at work, so I cannot recall what they are. :)

Wow! Now those will be cool if done right. I'm VERY interested in seeing how Slave Leia turns out with the interchangeable legs. Not so interested in seeing how ROTJ Luke turns out... it's been awful so many times before. I'm hopefull, but dont' want to get my hopes up (if that makes sense).

Kidhuman
01-19-2009, 11:40 AM
Sounds like some decent figs.

JEDIpartner
01-19-2009, 11:42 AM
Wow! Now those will be cool if done right. I'm VERY interested in seeing how Slave Leia turns out with the interchangeable legs. Not so interested in seeing how ROTJ Luke turns out... it's been awful so many times before. I'm hopefull, but dont' want to get my hopes up (if that makes sense).

I'm feelin' ya on the Luke. I think they have more or less realised that we are not pleased and they need to make amends stat! The concept drawings of Leia look amazing to say the least. I hope they are able to execute this one well. They had a VERY large photo of the Obi-Wan. If the production piece is as good as the piece they photographed, we are in for a huge treat!

DarkJedi5
01-19-2009, 11:43 AM
Well, we all knew Obi-Wan was coming. Hasbro told us that he was in the Evo set that they broke up to anchor a few lines (that's where the soon to be released ANH Ben came from and there's a TPM Obi-Wan on the way as well). The Leia is something people have been asking for for a long time now and I'm amazed that they are going ahead with it. It seems like more and more Hasbro is listening to what we collectors want; AT-TE, Yarna, Willrow Hood, etc. And the Luke represents perhaps the biggest hole in the modern line, assuming that it is DSII Luke. We do not have one version of the key figure with adequate articulation while we have about a million releases of the Jabba's Palace Luke. I'm currious to see the rest of the list. I may have to buy an Insider for the first time in years.

AmanaMatt
01-19-2009, 12:17 PM
Slave Leia and Luke sounds cool

Another SA Kenobi = yawn

JEDIpartner
01-19-2009, 12:24 PM
I may have to buy an Insider for the first time in years.

It was actually a good article. It was largely about the making of a figure: from the meetings to production. They told you which characters were A-listers and which were not. Han Solo... not an A-lister. NO female characters are on the A-list either. :whip:

TheDarthVader
01-19-2009, 12:51 PM
I will definitely buy slave Leia and Jedi Luke if they look good. I will be paying special attention to the face sculpts.

obi-dad
01-19-2009, 12:53 PM
I will definitely buy slave Leia and Jedi Luke if they look good. I will be paying special attention to the face sculpts.
Well, the medical frigate Luke gives me hope for the first time in years that they could get Luke's face sculpt right.

pbarnard
01-19-2009, 01:07 PM
Well having seen some of the pics on anoteR Site...

YV warrior is way to bulky. The Nikito that uses the blaster cannon/rifle from the rail of Jabba's Palace prototype was nice. Kyle Katarn looks like a major upgrade.

Droid
01-19-2009, 01:08 PM
Here are some pictures of some of these mentioned above and a few others:

http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3538752&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&fpart=7&vc=1

The AOTC Obi-wan and the sketches of what they have in mind for the Leia look pretty good.

Didn't see any pictures of the Luke.

pbarnard
01-19-2009, 01:12 PM
And while the whole BAD concept is bad, I finally have one that I may finally get or buy multiple of the waves, A YVH-1.

Obsession is Nute
01-19-2009, 01:55 PM
I am very impessed by the quality of the molds on these new figures. Looks like the perfect AOTC Obi-Wan, to me! If this is a taste of what 2009 is offering, count me as excited!

DarkJedi5
01-19-2009, 02:19 PM
It doesn't seem to have happened yet but what I see as the big flaw in the BaD concept is that if you want 2 or more of a droid, you're gonna have a tought time doing it. YVH-1 is a good example, these droids, like troopers, are for small scale army building. I've got droid parts to trade but if it comes down to eBay it may be really tough to come up with extras of these guys. I agree that the Vong is a little chunky but it will be nice to have one. Very excited about the Leia having now seen the sketches. And in the event that the Nikto comes with the canon, what good is it without a sailbarge rail to clip it to? Bigb should be pleased though with a Nikto and Klattu coming we're making headway on the skiff guards....

bigbarada
01-19-2009, 04:18 PM
Here are some pictures of some of these mentioned above and a few others:

http://threads.rebelscum.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=3538752&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93&fpart=7&vc=1

The AOTC Obi-wan and the sketches of what they have in mind for the Leia look pretty good.

Didn't see any pictures of the Luke.

Yay, another "Skiff Guard" who wasn't actually on either of the Skiffs.:rolleyes:

Bosskman
01-19-2009, 04:28 PM
Too bad there's no Jabba's Dais for SL to recline on.

JON9000
01-19-2009, 04:49 PM
Cannot wait for the Slave Leia with the changeable legs. That's a dream come true. The face sculpt on Sail Barge Leia was pretty good, they can just get more miles out of that, but the idea of Leia sitting is awesome.

I'm certainly going to have to pull out my Vintage Jabba to give him what he has always lacked!

pbarnard
01-19-2009, 05:00 PM
I'm certainly going to have to pull out my Vintage Jabba to give him what he has always lacked!

A super articulated Salacious Crumb?

Jabbapalacespy
01-19-2009, 05:04 PM
The Slave Leia is a surprise, not so much that they are remaking her but that they are giving her interchangable legs rather than articulated legs. That will actually look better on the figure since you can't hide knee joints on bare skin. This figure is a must for my Jabba diorama. :thumbsup: Maybe someday they'll do something similar with Oola. I'm interested in seeing the final products for the skiff guard(s) - however many we get. I'm still confused on that issue. I saw the one Nikto prototype, are we getting a Klaatu as well? We know we won't be getting Wooof this year - dang it!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-19-2009, 05:40 PM
Damn, I can't wait to read the whole article. Looking at the pics, though . . .
*Concept Anakin - a little boring, but interesting.
*Nikto, Obi-Wan, Leia, Shaak Ti - awesome!
*Yuuzhan Warrior - totally not SW.
*other stuff - meh.

Hopefully Leia's legs will turn out well, since that could be an awesome figure.

LTBasker
01-19-2009, 07:07 PM
That Kyle Katarn is full of epic win, I can't wait to get it! Insanely happy it's based on his Jedi Knight appearance rather than Jedi Outcast, hope he comes with 8t88's head. :D

Now we need a Titanium Moldy Crow. :D

Mad Slanted Powers
01-20-2009, 01:24 AM
Looks like some pretty good figures. I think we had heard Slave Leia was coming, but didn't know how they were going to do it. I think this method will work well based on the sketches in the pictures.

Obi-Wan looks great in terms of likeness, but he looks to have kind of a wide stance in that picture. Hard to tell though. I hope his legs can be a bit more neutral than that. Other than that, he's the best AOTC Obi-Wan yet (not that there was much competition).

Jargo
01-20-2009, 08:04 AM
Klaatu and Nikto are all I'm interested in.

Bib Un-Fortuna
01-20-2009, 09:21 AM
Klaatu and Nikto are all I'm interested in.

I am trying to remember . . . didn't Hasbro say in one of the Q&As that the Klaatu fig (I think they said Wooof) would be pushed back until 2010?

Otherwise - most of this stuff is awesome. I could care less about Deliah Blue or any of the EU figs, mainly because I gave up on it a long time ago, right around the midpoint of NJO, which was a massive waste of paper. I never really got into the comics - Ive read some & nothing ever really stood out to me as good Star Wars reading.

But that Yuuzhan Vong figure . . . idk, it looks like a Masters of the Universe baddie, not a SW figure.

The Hoth trooper is awesome, hoping for two variations. The Slave Leia sounds great, cannot wait to see how they implement it. The Nikto looks good, and the AotC Kenobi looks sick.

JEDIpartner
01-20-2009, 10:04 AM
There's also an Ewok 2-pack on the way (see the list below). I think they said it was Paploo and some other Ewok whose name I'm not familiar with.

The Legacy Collection

Wave 6-The Empire Strikes Back
Captain Needa
Hoth Rebel Trooper
Ugnaught (2-pack)
Leia Organa (Medical Frigate)
Luke Skywalker (Medical Frigate)
Emperor Palpatine

Wave 7-Attack of the Clones
Obi-Wan Kenobi
Tarados Garr (Klaatooinian Jedi)
Beru Whitesun (Moisture Farmer)
Owen Lars (Moisture Farmer)
Captain Typho (Palace Assault Armor)
Anakin Skywalker (Concept Art)

Anakin Skywalker- Evolution E2 (Greatest Hits wave)
Anakin Skywalker - Evolution E3 (Greatest Hits wave)
Jango Fett - (Greatest Hits wave)
ARC Trooper - blue/Order66 (Greatest Hits wave)
Clone Pilot (Greatest Hits wave)

Wave 8-Return of the Jedi
Luke Skywalker (Death Star Throne Room)
Leia Organa (Jabba's Slave Girl)
Ewok (2-pack)
Ten Nunb (B-Wing Pilot)
Major Panno (Omarriko)
Klaatu (Skiff Guard - Warrior Outfit)
Malakili
Nikto (Skiff Guard)

Scout Trooper - (Greatest Hits wave)

Exclusives
Jabba's Palace Rancor with Jedi Luke
Droid 2-packs

Ando
01-20-2009, 11:33 AM
Obi-Wan looks great in terms of likeness, but he looks to have kind of a wide stance in that picture. Hard to tell though. I hope his legs can be a bit more neutral than that. Other than that, he's the best AOTC Obi-Wan yet (not that there was much competition).

A few minutes in a pot of boiling water and a zip tie/wire tie usually fixes the figures with weird stances.

Bib Un-Fortuna
01-20-2009, 01:02 PM
Okay - I found what I was looking for on the Hasbro site. In the 12/12/08 Q&A, there was this:

HansHideout.com (Jeff): The 2009 RotJ Wave. You've confirmed a new Leia of some sort (Slave Girl perhaps), Palace Guard Wooof, an Ewok, and a new Malakili. How about a hint at the other two figures in the wave - will we be running around with one of the figures from that wave yelling, "It's a trap!" Or will one of the new figures want to take our AT-STs out for a drive?

Hasbro: We will not be revealing any more specific characters from the EpVI wave right now, but look for a full preview in an upcoming issue of Star Wars Insider. One note: it turns out that we will not be doing Wooof after all, and instead have made sure he's in the 2010 lineup. In his place is another Nikto guard.

So I guess we have a follow-up question for a Q&A, or something to ask them at Toy Fair.

Jargo
01-20-2009, 01:36 PM
Beru Whitesun (Moisture Farmer)
Owen Lars (Moisture Farmer)
Nikto (Skiff Guard)
Malakili

Oooh, cheap year for me then.

El Chuxter
01-20-2009, 02:43 PM
YVH Droid and a Yuuzhan Vong figure? Every time I think I'm out, they drag me back in again.

That Maul looks like a** dipped in s*** and then stored in Roseanne Barr's butt for fifty years, though. Hopefully that piece of superturd isn't needed for a YVH Droid.

JEDIpartner
01-20-2009, 02:58 PM
A few minutes in a pot of boiling water and a zip tie/wire tie usually fixes the figures with weird stances.

Actually, I think they are using the last version of Obi-Wan with the ball and socket hips. The skirt is soft-goods like that E3 version.

DarkJedi5
01-20-2009, 02:59 PM
That Maul looks like a** dipped in s*** and then stored in Roseanne Barr's butt for fifty years, though. Hopefully that piece of superturd isn't needed for a YVH Droid.
That has comic 2-pack written all over it....

bigbarada
01-21-2009, 03:16 AM
There's also an Ewok 2-pack on the way (see the list below). I think they said it was Paploo and some other Ewok whose name I'm not familiar with.

Wave 8-Return of the Jedi
Luke Skywalker (Death Star Throne Room)
Leia Organa (Jabba's Slave Girl)
Ewok (2-pack)
Ten Nunb (B-Wing Pilot)
Major Panno (Omarriko)
Klaatu (Skiff Guard - Warrior Outfit)
Malakili
Nikto (Skiff Guard)

Scout Trooper - (Greatest Hits wave)

Exclusives
Droid 2-packs

So, we're getting two "Skiff Guards" this year, awesome! Maybe one of them will actually be from a skiff.

I'm hoping that "Klaatu (Skiff Guard - Warrior Outfit)" will be Giran and not yet another remake of the vintage Klaatu Skiff Guard figure. Either way, I'll buy both Klaatu and the Nikto.

It's cool that we're getting a new Prune Face and I'm assuming that "Ten Nunb" will just be the Evolutions figure with a red flightsuit (like he wore in the movie - there were no white flightsuits in ROTJ).

If I can get ahold of the Rancor, then I'll buy Malikili. Otherwise, "shirtless emo fatguy" isn't very appealing to me.

And is "Greatest Hits" what they are calling "Saga Legends" in 2009?

Slicker
01-21-2009, 04:39 AM
Yay, another "Skiff Guard" who wasn't actually on either of the Skiffs.:rolleyes:He was on Jabba's Barge though. Or are you wanting one from the two small skiffs?

It's cool that we're getting a new Prune Face I actually looked it up and it's not the Prune Face you may be thinking (like the vintage one and the one we got years ago). It's a different guy that was a background character in ROTJ.

Seeing sh*t like this is really making me just take all of my toys to the local Toys for Tots this winter. That Yuzo...whatever. I don't care how it's spelled looks like some crap that McFarlane would make. Cyborg Maul? I could've SWORE that he just stood there and let Obers chop him in half in TPM. I also could've SWORE that he fell down a deeeeeep pit. How can any of you people honestly like EU? It's so...unoriginal. They just latch on to whatever lame *** character is popular and milk the story. I'm surprised we haven't gotten more Aurra Sing figures yet. :rolleyes:

At least the REAL figures from the MOVIES look good and hold some promise. Although we're probably gonna get all of a handful of them while we get dozens of sh*t EU. :rolleyes:

Mad Slanted Powers
01-21-2009, 09:29 AM
Cyborg Maul? I could've SWORE that he just stood there and let Obers chop him in half in TPM. I also could've SWORE that he fell down a deeeeeep pit. How can any of you people honestly like EU? It's so...unoriginal.I haven't read it, but I believe that the story with Cyborg Maul wasn't meant to be part of the continuity. Just sort of a cool what if story like Infinities and many of the Tales comics.

Bib Un-Fortuna
01-21-2009, 10:04 AM
Cyborg Maul? I could've SWORE that he just stood there and let Obers chop him in half in TPM. I also could've SWORE that he fell down a deeeeeep pit.

Well, to be honest, I can't totally hate that concept. When RotS was on the way, we started seeing Grievous and found out that he was part machine, part biologic, I thought it was going to be the perfect way to get Maul back into the franchise. I had it all figured out.

You see, the lightsaber slash from Obi cauterized the wound, so he didn't bleed to death. As he fell, he regained some semblance of control so that he could slow his descent and lessen the damage from the fall using the Force. His bones and body were too damaged to repair, but he survived long enough for Palpatine, who came to Naboo where the duel was, to find him and save him (a la Vader at the end of RotS). What remained was put into a cybernetic exoskeleton, and he changed his name to Grievous (as in, greviously injured but survived). It would also explain his lightsaber skills, and creates basically Darth Vader 1.0. I was so sure I was right when Obi-Wan confronted him on Utapau & they did that close-up of Grievous' eyes, and so disappointed that they did not go that way. It would have made the fight between Grievous & Kenobi so much more interesting! He thought he killed the man who slew his master, then finds out he is still alive.

So the moral of this rant is . . . I cannot hate the Visionaries Maul, but I don't know if I'll buy one.

DarkJedi5
01-21-2009, 11:55 AM
Cyborg Maul? I could've SWORE that he just stood there and let Obers chop him in half in TPM. I also could've SWORE that he fell down a deeeeeep pit. How can any of you people honestly like EU? It's so...unoriginal.

I may be dead wrong but I do seem to recall that this possible reincarnation of Maul was considered as early as Episode II as the possible Sith apprentice that became Dooku. I know that there were other sketches that in the end were not used in the film and gave the basis for both Komari Vosa from the Jango Fett game and Asajj Ventress (IIRC the sketch was titled simple "V" which is why their second names both start with a V and I also think I read that the characters were developed simultaneously and independently which is why they had to figure out how to get Vosa lightsabers to Ventress who was also using the same lightsabers).

I guess my point is that while some of this EU stuff may appear to be crap, it is in reality just the stuff that wasn't good enough to make the movies (and sometimes missed the films by a hair).

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-21-2009, 01:27 PM
As far as I know, the Maul design was never meant for a movie, just the non-canon Visionaries comic. In the continuity, he's as dead as a doornail when Obi-Wan cuts him in half.

Ando
01-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Actually, I think they are using the last version of Obi-Wan with the ball and socket hips. The skirt is soft-goods like that E3 version.

That's too bad. I'm not really a fan of the ball and socket hips. The Obi Wan in clone armor was really loose and doesn't stand very well with those hips + they flare out and look a little off.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-21-2009, 05:49 PM
JEDIpartner, where did you get the AOTC wave info? It's not in the Insider (which I just read). It also mentions T'ra Saa as coming, and that the second Ewok with Paploo is NoApakk, and adds that "the fascinating tale of how NoApakk got his name will be revealed soon." Seems like it's a Hasbro-created name, so hopefully he actually appeared in the movie.

And they mention Klaatu as he appeared in Jabba's palace, which I assume is a reference to Wooof, who we know has been pushed back a year. Also, R5-H6 and R3-O1 are coming as build-a-droids. They say R5-H6 was "seen with Gardulla the Hutt in The Phantom Menace," but I can only think of R5-X2 from that scene. According to astromech.net, though, R5-H6 is a white-and-purple droid from AOTC, so who knows what we'll get.

Jargo
01-21-2009, 07:40 PM
"the fascinating tale of how NoApakk got his name will be revealed soon."

I'm sure it will be a scintillating anecdote... :tired:

I thought the Klaatooinian Jedi was Tarados Gon? That's what he was called in print literature around the time of AOTC.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-21-2009, 09:38 PM
I thought the Klaatooinian Jedi was Tarados Gon? That's what he was called in print literature around the time of AOTC.
It is. JEDIpartner wasn't quoting Insider; they don't even mention Tarados Gon in there.

Devo
01-21-2009, 10:37 PM
What the hell is Hasbro's obsession with Ten Nunb??????? He isn't even the main sullustan in the film let alone ever seen in the white outfit Hasbro keep putting him in. Wheres the Nien Nunb update? I can't believe we will have had 3 releases of an innaccurately garbed ten nunb, 4 if this isn't some sort of repaint, since the last Nien nunb figure. Good list otherwise (but I would have said the same about the ESB wave and look how that turned out - approximately 2, maybe 3 good figures).

bigbarada
01-22-2009, 12:35 AM
And they mention Klaatu as he appeared in Jabba's palace, which I assume is a reference to Wooof, who we know has been pushed back a year. Also, R5-H6 and R3-O1 are coming as build-a-droids. They say R5-H6 was "seen with Gardulla the Hutt in The Phantom Menace," but I can only think of R5-X2 from that scene. According to astromech.net, though, R5-H6 is a white-and-purple droid from AOTC, so who knows what we'll get.

Usually magazine information is about 3 months out of date just by the nature of the whole printing process. So it's possible that Wooof didn't get pushed to 2010 until after the new Insider issue went to print.

bigbarada
01-22-2009, 12:37 AM
What the hell is Hasbro's obsession with Ten Nunb??????? He isn't even the main sullustan in the film let alone ever seen in the white outfit Hasbro keep putting him in. Wheres the Nien Nunb update? I can't believe we will have had 3 releases of an innaccurately garbed ten nunb, 4 if this isn't some sort of repaint, since the last Nien nunb figure. Good list otherwise (but I would have said the same about the ESB wave and look how that turned out - approximately 2, maybe 3 good figures).

I think it's because they have the mold from last year's Evolutions figure, so they might as well use it for a red-suited repaint. Makes me glad I passed on the Evolutions Rebel Pilots set.

JEDIpartner
01-22-2009, 08:59 AM
JEDIpartner, where did you get the AOTC wave info?

I "borrowed" it from another ( :Pirate: ) site.

DarkJedi5
01-22-2009, 01:02 PM
I think it's because they have the mold from last year's Evolutions figure, so they might as well use it for a red-suited repaint. Makes me glad I passed on the Evolutions Rebel Pilots set.

Add a Han Solo vest and you're pretty close to an all new Nien Nunb! Three figures from one mold, Hasbro's done it again.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-22-2009, 01:58 PM
Usually magazine information is about 3 months out of date just by the nature of the whole printing process. So it's possible that Wooof didn't get pushed to 2010 until after the new Insider issue went to print.
Yeah, probably. The article said they were there in October.

Add a Han Solo vest and you're pretty close to an all new Nien Nunb! Three figures from one mold, Hasbro's done it again.
There'll be two figures from the Ten Numb mold (white Evolution and red basic), but there are already two more using the same body (with different size head peg, if that matters) - Keyan Farlander from the other Evolution set, and Netrem Pollard from the TRU B-wing.

Oh, and for anyone who cares, the Nikto seems to be Nysad (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Nysad). Either that picture or the figure's picture is flipped, or the figure is backwards (look at the straps).

Qui-Long Gone
01-22-2009, 03:31 PM
I am very impessed by the quality of the molds on these new figures. Looks like the perfect AOTC Obi-Wan, to me! If this is a taste of what 2009 is offering, count me as excited!

I too am eager for the AOTC Kenobi!

Jargo
01-22-2009, 04:11 PM
yeah it's Nysad but the sail barge gun belongs to the Nikto that came with the POTF2 skiff guards cinema scene. And it appears that the figure proto pic is right but only the sculpted straps are wrong.

Nysad's weapon should be a hand blaster of the same type as Luke force pulls from a Gamorrean guard just before taking a tumble into the Rancor pit. still it's cool to get the portable sail barge cannon even if there's no sail barge to use it on..........

DarkArtist
01-22-2009, 06:05 PM
Yay, another "Skiff Guard" who wasn't actually on either of the Skiffs.:rolleyes:

that nikto Skiff Guard looks like he's from the Sail Barge so maybe it's possible some time down the road that we might actually see Jabba;s main ride ??? here's hoping fingers crossed

bigbarada
01-23-2009, 12:13 AM
Oh, and for anyone who cares, the Nikto seems to be Nysad (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Nysad). Either that picture or the figure's picture is flipped, or the figure is backwards (look at the straps).

Yeah, that's him. It stinks too, because when I was looking over the different guards in that battle and Nysad was the one Nikto that I liked the least. They had two much better choices, they could have updated the vintage Nikto or made Vedain, the Nikto that Lando wrestles with. Heck, I'd even prefer a remake of the 1999 Cinema Scene Nikto (Vizam, I believe).

that nikto Skiff Guard looks like he's from the Sail Barge so maybe it's possible some time down the road that we might actually see Jabba;s main ride ??? here's hoping fingers crossed

Well, unless they are making a giant Sail Barge toy, then I think it's a dumb idea. Why populate a toy vehicle that doesn't exist? Especially since we just got a new release of the Skiff and no guards to use it with that are less than 10 years old.

Tycho
01-23-2009, 02:46 AM
I'm loving the news about the new figures. I wanted a Yuuzhan Vong (and multiples of them for an army) for so long!

The AOTC Obi-Wan looks great and I've yearned for the Evolutions Anakin from E2 to be released single-carded so I can gather about 7 more of him for various scenes I just need a normal expression on his face (and no robotic hand) for.

Kyle Katarn looks admittedly good, too.

pbarnard
01-23-2009, 08:56 AM
I'm loving the news about the new figures. I wanted a Yuuzhan Vong (and multiples of them for an army) for so long!

Kyle Katarn looks admittedly good, too.

I'm torn by the YV. We get it finally, and like you say, a small army for my NJO customs to battle finally. However, Hasbro would screw it up by making the arms way to muscular/bulky.

My only hope now for the Kyle Katarn is that Hasbro uses the proper name of the source his one is taken from DARK FORCES 2 subtitled Jedi Knight. Not call it by its subtitle like so many do.

Slicker
01-23-2009, 09:00 AM
That Yuzhoalne;an Vong looks like carp. I stated it before and I'll state it again!

pbarnard
01-23-2009, 09:06 AM
That Yuzhoalne;an Vong looks like carp. I stated it before and I'll state it again!

And have you ever read the books they are found in? I mean I know burning things that one has never read is popular, but speak from beyond one plot point please.

Jargo
01-23-2009, 09:22 AM
I'll just stop replying then.

obi-dad
01-23-2009, 09:41 AM

And have you ever read the books they are found in? I mean I know burning things that one has never read is popular, but speak from beyond one plot point please.

Ok... I've read the novels they are in... maybe not all of them, but enough. And I say it looks like cr@p (sorry, a carp is a fish and the fish looks better than that fig). It would fit in nicely with the HeMan universe, but doesn't look very Star-Warsy to me (look it up, its in the new Unabridged Webster's dictionary!)

Oh, and I've bought several comic packs of figures from comics/novels that I've never read just because they looked good/cool.

pbarnard
01-23-2009, 10:13 AM
Ok... I've read the novels they are in... maybe not all of them, but enough. And I say it looks like cr@p (sorry, a carp is a fish and the fish looks better than that fig). It would fit in nicely with the HeMan universe, but doesn't look very Star-Warsy to me (look it up, its in the new Unabridged Webster's dictionary!)

Oh, and I've bought several comic packs of figures from comics/novels that I've never read just because they looked good/cool.

But outside of the arms, it is an accurate to the depiction from the sources derived. The colors maybe a bit off in hues, along with debate on the skin tone which has been skewed because yet again Dark Horse colors a species wrong...

It's like the upcoming Borsk/Wedge comic pack. That may not be how many think a Bothan should look like, but it is a Bothan based off a majority of sources.

Best to have a represenative of a species not yet depicted in plastic than no represenative at all. Hasbro can only improve it unless it is a Han Solo or Anakin Skywalker or Luke Skywalker head.

LTBasker
01-23-2009, 01:37 PM
My only hope now for the Kyle Katarn is that Hasbro uses the proper name of the source his one is taken from DARK FORCES 2 subtitled Jedi Knight. Not call it by its subtitle like so many do.

If he didn't come with a lightsaber I would say I agree, but the inclusion of the lightsaber (which I just noticed is the wrong color) defines the "Jedi Knight" portion of the title. Besides, a kid might see "Jedi Knight" on the packaging and be interested solely on that meaning it could sell well enough to warrant more figures from the game. :D

JanOrsJanOrsJanOrsJanOrsJanOrsJanOrsJanOrsJanOrs

Tycho
01-23-2009, 01:43 PM
I'll sell [at 1/2 price of the comic 2-pack ("cost")] Kyle Katarn to any and all here (or trade figure-for-figure) to get as many Yuuzhan Vongs as I can. - or I'll buy them for the 1/2 price of the comic 2-pack.

So for about $7-8 and shipping per figure, I'm raising a Yuuzhan Vong army.

When these come out, start private messaging me. I'll want enough (probably 15) that I'll likely make the same deal with everyone.

However, I do think they'll single-card a Yuuzhan Vong figure in the near future, as they have also all-but-confirmed Jaina Solo and Jacen Solo figures, too. And there's a strong rumor about a YHV-1 terminator droid (Lando Calrissian's assassin robots manufactured to resist the 'Vong threat).

The New Jedi Order is rising.

Now I hope for new figures of Han, Leia, Mara Jade-Skywalker, Anakin Solo, Lando, Kyp Durron, Corran Horn, Tahiri Veila, Droma, Nom Anor, and other various members of the Yuuzhan Vong leadership.

Star Wars must continue and 6 movies are not enough. Some EU is terrible - granted. But I dug NJO and it was a great use of the OT characters and having the story continue, as was Heir to the Empire.

obi-dad
01-23-2009, 02:22 PM
Oh, looks like I just rattled off my last post since I was in a hurry to run to a meeting... just to be clear, I personally think the VV looks bad, but I'm very glad they made one (so far, as I'm sure eventually there will be more). I have read requests for these since they first appeared in the EU. I won't be buying any, but I'm sure Hasbro won't have any problems selling these.

I also will not be buying the visionaries Maul.

DarkJedi5
01-23-2009, 02:45 PM
Heck, I'd even prefer a remake of the 1999 Cinema Scene Nikto (Vizam, I believe).

Wasn't he the one who actually weild the cannon in the movie that the figure seems to be coming with?

pbarnard
01-23-2009, 02:51 PM
It looks that way. Good thing, one less PotF2 figure that needs the update. Bad thing, no other new "skiff" guards.

DarkJedi5
01-23-2009, 03:26 PM
Well it seems like it is Vizam's gun with Nysad the guard.

bigbarada
01-23-2009, 04:37 PM
Well it seems like it is Vizam's gun with Nysad the guard.

Yep, that's what it is.

Right now I can only hold out hope that the Klaatu Guard turns out to be Giran and not a remake of the vintage Klaatu Skiff Guard.

There are actually 4 Klaatus visible in Jabba's Palace and the Skiff Battle. Wooof, Klaatu (the white suited Skiff Guard), Giran and Weeba Weeba (who is actually the second Rancor Keeper).

Weeba Weeba and Giran are very similar in their outfit but are often confused for each other. However, like the Bane Malar/'that guy that Chewbacca knocks over' mix up, they're close enough to be interchangeable in my book. The differences can just be chalked up to the fact that the entire Jabba the Hutt sequence from ROTJ was shot at different times and in different hemispheres (Jabba's Palace scenes in England, the Skiff Battle in California).

During the Skiff Battle, there are three Klaatus visible: Wooof, Klaatu, and Giran. The common misconception is that Wooof did a costume change just before going out to fight Luke, that's not true. Wooof and a Gamorrean Guard actually begin setting up a blaster on the Sail Barge as soon as the battle starts. So, Wooof and the "Skiff Guard" Klaatu are two different aliens.

Tycho
01-24-2009, 04:29 AM
Wooof and his like are Green Niktos. A different race of Niktos are Red.

Weequays, Klatoonians, and Gamorreans make up Jabba's other guard species.

Jabbapalacespy
01-24-2009, 10:09 AM
The common misconception is that Wooof did a costume change just before going out to fight Luke, that's not true. Wooof and a Gamorrean Guard actually begin setting up a blaster on the Sail Barge as soon as the battle starts. So, Wooof and the "Skiff Guard" Klaatu are two different aliens.

I didn't realize this until I saw both Wooof and Klaatu in the same screenshot from Jabba's palace.

bigbarada
01-24-2009, 01:49 PM
Wooof and his like are Green Niktos. A different race of Niktos are Red.

I think that's a case of the EU writers screwing things up and then trying to retroactively fix it.

Tycho
01-24-2009, 03:37 PM
What was your understanding on the Nikto issue?

Jargo
01-24-2009, 04:06 PM
:facepalm: duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrr....

DarkJedi5
01-24-2009, 04:21 PM
Could be way off (not to mention butting in) but I think bigb is talking about how three pretty different species are all chalked up as Niktos. I think the reason for this is because some eu source somewhere messed up on naming the two species and later they had to be retconned to both be Niktos. Would have made more sense if they were two species from the same planet like Mon Calamari and Quarren but for whatever reason they messed this whole thing up instead.

bigbarada
01-24-2009, 04:53 PM
My problem with the Klaatu, Barada, Nikto thing is that, for over 10 years, Star Wars fans had a pretty decent understanding of who each species was based primarily on the Kenner action figures and the ROTJ behind the scenes stuff. Suddenly the Tales From Jabba's Palace book comes out, along with the CCG's, and everything is thrown into confusion. Barada becomes a Klatooinian, Klaatu becomes a Nikto and the Nikto.... gets to stay a Nikto; but he's a different kind of Nikto (even though Klaatu and Nikto have no common features aside from being bipedal).

I had no problem with EU sources, I was a big fan of the old West End Games RPG from 1987 and it restarted my interest in Star Wars. However, my problem with EU now is that, after 1991 when Heir to the Empire was published, everything that I had known about the Star Wars "expanded universe" was suddenly swept under the carpet to be rewritten and replaced by this new form of EU. Now we've got all these inconsistencies and confusion with characters getting their names arbitrarily switched and backgrounds rewritten. Seriously, when you have to start retconning Ewoks, that's when you know that you've hired incompetent and/or complacent writers.

pbarnard
01-26-2009, 10:31 AM
I had no problem with EU sources, I was a big fan of the old West End Games RPG from 1987 and it restarted my interest in Star Wars. However, my problem with EU now is that, after 1991 when Heir to the Empire was published, everything that I had known about the Star Wars "expanded universe" was suddenly swept under the carpet to be rewritten and replaced by this new form of EU. Now we've got all these inconsistencies and confusion with characters getting their names arbitrarily switched and backgrounds rewritten. Seriously, when you have to start retconning Ewoks, that's when you know that you've hired incompetent and/or complacent writers.

That's your perception but most of the authors actually thank the WEG staff and developers in the books. They were using them as the touch point for references in the EU. What happened was KJA and than they had to create their own in house department to manage it.

Never mind the 6 subspecies of Nikito for the moment, I am with BigB's idea, make the right figures with the right names and atribute them to the right place (skiff, palace or sail barge).

Tycho
01-27-2009, 04:38 AM
Yeah and then make the Sailbarge so we have some place to put them!

Slicker
01-27-2009, 05:54 AM
And then we can all realize that once again the EU has messed everyting up!

pbarnard
01-27-2009, 12:56 PM
And then we can all realize that once again the EU has messed everyting up!

Nope, actually it was more a combo of one author and the TCG messing it up. Not everyone else.

Pat Shark
02-03-2009, 01:06 AM
According to the Star Wars Galaxy Guide 12:Aliens Enemies & Allies the Green Nikto (Kadas'sa Nikto) are arboreal forest dwellers. I doubt they would have enjoyed their time on Tatooine very much with all that sand getting into their scales and a distinct lack of trees to climb!
Sucks to be a Hutt slave. At least the Brown Niktos had a flap of skin and some breather tubes to filter out all the grit and sand. These Nikto obviously resided in the vast desert regions of the Nikto planet and had evolved to withstand that climate.
I guess it makes sense that there would be different climates on the one planet as there are here on Earth and that different sub-species would adapt to their particular geographical zone. Just like Norweigans and Nigerians.
On the other hand calling Barada and Kithabas species Klatooinans just makes no sense when there is a Green Nikto already named Klaatu... Except that someone decided to name their home planet Klatooine.
Let's just blame it all on Edmund H. North, he wrote the screenplay for The Day the Earth Stood Still. :yes:

DarkArtist
02-24-2009, 01:45 PM
found this pic of the upcoming ICMG from ESB over at JediDefender.com. not sure if it's a real concept sketch or fan made.

obi-dad
02-24-2009, 01:53 PM
found this pic of the upcoming ICMG from ESB over at JediDefender.com. not sure if it's a real concept sketch or fan made.

That came from Hasbro as a reply to one of JediDefender's Q&A's about 3 weeks ago. It's real.

Droid
02-24-2009, 02:48 PM
The face in the sketch looks absolutely nothing like the actor!

Old Fossil
02-24-2009, 09:08 PM
The face in the sketch looks absolutely nothing like the actor!

But the gut does.

Rik Duel
02-25-2009, 01:23 AM
Wasn't there supposed to be a new release of Ceremonial Luke as part of some exclusive pack (presumably with a better non-pale face)? Or did I imagine that?

Qui-Long Gone
03-23-2009, 02:12 PM
But the gut does.

And the snow maker looks authentic....

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-28-2009, 11:54 PM
Dunno if we have another thread for the ROTJ wave (yet), but here (http://www.sandtroopers.com/smf/index.php?topic=11691.msg239431#msg239431) is a picture of the upcoming slave Leia figure, without the soft goods skirt. She looks great! I love the extra pre-posed legs, and the fact that they're not the only option.

Obsession is Nute
06-29-2009, 12:05 AM
Dunno if we have another thread for the ROTJ wave (yet), but here (http://www.sandtroopers.com/smf/index.php?topic=11691.msg239431#msg239431) is a picture of the upcoming slave Leia figure, without the soft goods skirt. She looks great! I love the extra pre-posed legs, and the fact that they're not the only option.

The torso looks fine. The expression seems a little vacant, I would like to see some angry eyebrows.

Perhaps it is just the photo and I need to see the figure upfront...but I am not liking the legs and arms, they are too thick and manly. I would rather see decreased posability in favor of realism. I know their are people that want points all over the place...but it comes at a price.

I do have to give hasbro major kudos for the detachable lower portion. Definitely giving the consumer more bang for their buck!

Tycho
06-29-2009, 12:16 AM
I like that new Padme. That's from Clone Wars, I take it?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-29-2009, 12:18 AM
I like that new Padme. That's from Clone Wars, I take it?
Yup, she wore that outfit in Destroy Malevolence and (I think) Blue Shadow Virus.

Tycho
06-29-2009, 12:32 AM
While I acknowledge that 10 years later (1999-2009) they have finished all but 1 of her TPM outfits (black, post-senate / Nute Gunray's arrest), Padme is sorely lacking representation from AOTC and ROTS.

AOTC: 7

Senator / Apartment
Nightgown / Cohoun attack / Naboo balcony
Minny Mouse hair from packing for Naboo
Refugee Freighter / Meeting w. Queen Jamilla
Deleted scene at Padme's parents' house
backless dress from kiss by the lake
yellow dress from waterfalls
Lars' garage dress (probably belonged to Beru)

ROTS: 9

Princess Leia hair buns
black dress from cleaning house around apartment
hair in headcap thing (strange outfit)
Ruminitions (while the John Williams song was played before Mace v Palpatine)
blue dress with long sleeve-gloves (similar but not the same as nightgown)
silver senate outfit
meeting with fugitive Obi-Wan before Mustafar trip
delivery of the twins (white hospital gown)
funeral Padme with neckless

DarkJedi5
06-29-2009, 12:52 AM
The torso looks fine. The expression seems a little vacant, I would like to see some angry eyebrows.

Perhaps it is just the photo and I need to see the figure upfront...but I am not liking the legs and arms, they are too thick and manly. I would rather see decreased posability in favor of realism. I know their are people that want points all over the place...but it comes at a price.

I do have to give hasbro major kudos for the detachable lower portion. Definitely giving the consumer more bang for their buck!

Yeah, I have to be perfectly honest, I think I only have a use for the sculpted legs so she can sit on the dais. I already have a fine Slave Leia, she just can't recline.

Qui-Long Gone
06-29-2009, 08:23 PM
It looks like this Leia isn't great, but really good for the recline pose!