PDA

View Full Version : Vintage vs. Repro Capes

roberr22
01-22-2009, 11:14 AM
Quick question: Do all vintage Star Wars capes make the zipper sound when scratched? I bought a couple of Vader capes that look and feel prefect, but they don't make the zipper sound. Thanks!

LusiferSam
01-22-2009, 10:55 PM
I'm not as good with capes and cloaks as I am with weapons, but as far as I know all real vinyl capes have the crosshatch pattern on them. That's what makes the zipper sound when you lightly scratched them. Without the crosshatch pattern they can't look or feel right.

Some other things to look for a stretch marks around the arm holes and the form of the cape. All capes should have come off a vintage figure. You can't help but stretch the arm holes when removing the cape. Only figures that have never had their capes removed should lack stretch marks. Second, all of the these are 20 plus (some 30 plus) years old. The vinyl wants to form around the figure. So every real cape I've even seen forms to the figure very nicely. Repro capes on the other hand tend to be flat. They lack the right creases, folds and other minor details of the real thing.

roberr22
01-23-2009, 01:37 PM
Thanks again for the insight!