PDA

View Full Version : Custom Titanium Blackbird

Nightside
01-23-2009, 03:59 PM
OK, so this is my first ever attempt at a custom piece, so be kind...

Given the BSG line's demise, I was bummed that we'd never be getting an official Blackbird. So I picked up an extra X-wing and attempted to turn it into the Blackbird.

The proportions are certainly not exact (it is an X-wing after all), but it'll fill the void in my collection. I sanded down the astromech droid and painted the whole thing (minus the canopy) black. The engines are the arms from Gobot Fitor, held together by a couple of Lego pieces. If anyone's has any ideas for more accurate engines (short of hand-sculpting them), please share.

Now, if I could just write "Laura" really, really tiny on the nose...

JediTricks
01-23-2009, 08:43 PM
Ha! That's not a bad little custom, and thanks for mentioning what made up the engines, that was driving me crazy.

clone157
01-24-2009, 04:57 PM
Great job. Man, why is it that Hasbro couldn't do something like this? I wonder if they could not think of possible new molds or if they were only allowed a small number of new molds.

Darth Duranium
01-25-2009, 11:39 AM
Great idea! It's pretty damn good, Night... not an easy thing to do.

I was thinking that I might use a Viper Mk VII as a basis for a blackbird... the nose section widens out into a triangular shape, and it doesn't have the nose cone like an X-Wing. If they ever release a TS E-Wing it might be modifiable, too. Time to dust off the Dremel Tool!

I guess the real trick is finding something for the engines... I was looking at other TS and AF ships and nothing seems quite suitable. What you've used is pretty good... can't see any Lego parts!

Here's a few pics of a model someone built... anybody have any ideas as to what other ships might be "kit-bashed" to make the engines?

BTW, I've been planning on making a Basestar... I'm collecting meshes and plans, trying to figure out how to do it.

Nightside
01-26-2009, 07:52 PM
DT, definitely keep us in the loop with any info on your basestar project. I've seen some pewter ones on eBay, but they were a bit pricey and I didn't care for the paint job. (Ditto on your Mk VII -> Blackbird project)

JediTricks
01-27-2009, 10:35 PM
Wow, that's a great looking garage kit or whatever it is.

For the engines, have you considered using the Titanium Galactica's side pods? They're roughly the same shape.

Nightside
01-28-2009, 03:59 PM
For the engines, have you considered using the Titanium Galactica's side pods? They're roughly the same shape.

Great suggestion JT! They are pretty darn close to the same shape.

Darth Duranium
01-29-2009, 04:36 PM
I agree, Nightside... great idea, JT... actually, I think the Konami Battlestar's pods would be even better for the engines... the scale's closer and it's resin for easy chopping. The only downside would be finding another one at a reasonable price!

Another thought: the engines from a Concorde SST jet might work well, too... assuming the Blackbird isn't flying out of Paris!

The front of the ship would be perfect if you thinly sliced off the front diagonal sides of the Konami Narcissus (not the actual nose) and attached them to the nose of the Viper Mk VII.

This could be one very expensive custom!

I think I'm gonna wuss out for now and finish my resin TS-sized BSG shuttle from the original series first. I've still got a Mining ship to do, too! And some kewl ships from 2001: A Space Odyssey! I'm so very lazy... mad props to Nightside for actually finishing his ship!

I wish someone would make life easy and release a decent painted Basestar! I've been thinking about carving one out of wood or moulding one in some kind of modelling clay.

Anyone have any experience with clay? My last experience with it was plasticine in grade 4!!!!

JediTricks
01-30-2009, 02:38 PM
Glad you liked the suggestion, I put them together only after seeing the model pics that DT posted. Make sure to keep us in the loop if you do it. :thumbsup:

The nose on the Viper is a little different from the Blackbird nose, the Viper's is cut forward so from the side it's at an angle, while the Blackbird is a straight up and down cut. If you had the right tools, you could possibly just cut the X-wing nose straight off, then bevel the interior of the cut to make the intake (assuming it's not hollow at that point). I don't know how much ZAMAC really takes to this sort of torture though.

Darth Duranium
02-04-2009, 09:30 PM
Well, I wussed back in and decided to have a go at the Blackbird... Nightside and JT got my juices flowing... I'll have to towel off and thank 'em for the inspiration.

I went through a few boxes and found an extra X-Wing (the awful Dagobah one) and a spare Pegasus... so I decided to be a cheap bastard and work with those! I used 3 bits of plastic from an old airplane model, too.

IMO, I think the TS Viper Mk VII would have been a nightmare to work with, and the back's all wrong anyway. I just chopped off the X-Wing's nose with a pair of heavy-duty snips and dremelled her flat. I used plastic from the Pegasus' interior to fill the wing holes and to raise the "engine arms".

The beauty of using the Pegasus is that once you take off its flight pods, you end up with a Colonial Corvette that's quite displayable as-is. I ended up with 2 ships... the Blackbird and the Corvette!

I liked all the detailing on the "engines" so I left them alone, except for modifying their fronts... it's a small ship! My favourite parts are the "stealth baffles" on the back of the engines!

My Blackbird sure ain't show-accurate but I think I caught the general flavour of the ship. I could be wrong.

Anyhoo, please lemme know what y'all think! Unfortunately, the glue seems go invisible with the flash (can't see any seams in regular light) but here's some crappy shots anyway. I probably should have used a brighter background and no flash... I'll take some better shots tomorrow.

JediTricks
02-06-2009, 06:14 PM
That first shot was really good, the others kinda highlight a few small issues like the angle of the engines being off, or that the Peg engines are a little too detailed (I had no idea), but on the whole this kitbash sells the concept quite well. If I may make a suggestion, perhaps using only the underside halves of the engines (put them on top, obviously), smooth out the sculpted detailing, and face them the opposite way so the openings face forward with a bevel, that'd really take it to the next level. All in all, very very impressed with the drive you guys have with these!

Nightside
02-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Well, I wussed back in and decided to have a go at the Blackbird

DT, that looks awesome!. I may just have to snip the nose off mine now. Did you custom cut the plastic you used on the side of the ship?

Great work!

clone157
02-09-2009, 08:22 PM
The beauty of using the Pegasus is that once you take off its flight pods, you end up with a Colonial Corvette that's quite displayable as-is. I ended up with 2 ships... the Blackbird and the Corvette!

Dude, great job. How about some pics of the left over Pegasus? Does it look like a Dreadnaught? How about making an Outbound Flight? :thumbsup:

Darth Duranium
02-10-2009, 04:08 AM
Thanks for the kind words, fellers... I'm still workin' on my Blackbird (I wasn't totally happy with my first efforts), the Colonial Shuttle and a few more... at least they're all ready for paint (or repaint) now.

Yep, Night... I cut down and dremelled some bits of plastic from 2 model airplane wings to make the wider body on the BB. The nose was a cinch to chop... highly recommended!

I've since added more bits of wing to the upper body and I've stripped down the Peg engines (you're right about that, JT) ... sorry about the crap pics but maybe you can see the unpainted BB in there.

I'll post pics of the finished ships, if anyone wants to see 'em. Should be pretty frakkin' soon.

Clone, here's a few pics of the 'Vette. I guess you could call it a destroyer, a dreadnought, a battleship... hell, it could even be Colonial Pizza Delivery Ship! Lemme know what you think... I like it in my ragtag fleet.

BTW, last week's episode was top notch! BSG at its best. Still the best thing on TV, IMO.

pbarnard
02-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Clone, here's a few pics of the 'Vette. I guess you could call it a destroyer, a dreadnought, a battleship... hell, it could even be Colonial Pizza Delivery Ship! Lemme know what you think... I like it in my ragtag fleet.

BTW, last week's episode was top notch! BSG at its best. Still the best thing on TV, IMO.

Actually I think you just made a Star Wars Rendallii Stardrive Dreadnaught with the nacelle/landing bay-less Pegasus.

clone157
02-11-2009, 07:43 PM
Actually I think you just made a Star Wars Rendallii Stardrive Dreadnaught with the nacelle/landing bay-less Pegasus.

That's what I say! It looks great!

Darth Duranium
02-11-2009, 09:08 PM
Good eye, PB... the "Corvette" really does look like a Rendili! The conversion was the easiest modification ever... you just need a screwdriver!

I finally got around to painting my revamped Blackbird... I'm much happier with this one than my first version.

Thanks again to Nightside for the inspiration! And to JT for the feedback... I liked and used some of your suggestions.

Lemme know what you guys think!!! This is only my second (and third, I guess) custom!

Nightside
02-12-2009, 09:02 PM
With thanks to Darth Titanium for the further inspiration, here are a few pics of my Blackbird, phase II.

I snipped off the tip of the nose and cut off quite a bit of the back end, too. I also added some plastic bits to the side of the nose.

Since I don't happen to have any spare Battlestars for parts, I had to stick with the GoBot arms for engines.

Darth Duranium
02-14-2009, 12:08 AM
Your Blackbird looks great, Nightside... I particularly like the shortened back end... must have been tricky sawing through the zamac... and the running boards look awesome.

The nose section looks really good clipped, and did you flip the engines, too?

Now, we just need a couple of Resurrection Ships' FTL drives to take out...

I was looking at a pic of Bulldog's Stealthstar... now that would be a seriously hellacious challenge! A Heavy Raider could be dodgy, too.

Might be fairly easy to make a custom Guardian Raider, though... I was thinking of doing one of them once I finish off my shuttle.

JediTricks
02-14-2009, 04:07 PM
Dang, you guys are doing some nifty custom work! Both of those are snazzy, I wish I had the patience or skill to do this sort of thing.

And you guys are NOT kidding about the Peg becoming the dreadnaught, I wish I had bought an extra one just to do this - it was a bit of a pegwarmer back in the day.

Nightside
02-15-2009, 09:01 AM
Your Blackbird looks great, Nightside... I particularly like the shortened back end... must have been tricky sawing through the zamac... and the running boards look awesome.

The nose section looks really good clipped, and did you flip the engines, too?

Thanks, DT, your finished Bird looks absolutely fantastic. Very jealous of your engines. I'll be on the prowl for a dirt cheap battlestar.

As for mine, taking a saw to it was nerve-wracking. If it didn't work, it was back to the drawing board (and back to the store for another X-wing). I didn't flip the engines, but I did change the attachment point and create new struts from some scrap plastic.

Guardian Raiders? Are those the retro-style Raiders from Razor, or something else?

Darth Duranium
02-15-2009, 03:28 PM
I was tempted to chop the back off my BB during the revamp but I chickened out... I was afraid I wouldn't have left enough room for the Peg engine strut supports inside the ship's body. I added a "hatch" over the cockpit to try to cover it up... worked out ok, I guess.... but chopping is mucho superior.

Thanks for the props... it was a fun project and a great idea, Night. Stuff like this is why I keep coming back to this forum!

Seems that the Colonial Dreadnought (it's now official) was a hit, too! Who'da thunk? Actually, I think there was a little sanding involved, besides a screwdriver... but it was ridiculously easy to do (unlike the BBs).

I think I grabbed an extra Peg off the shelf last year because it had darker paint than my other one... glad I did. I hope you can find another cheap Peg, Night... but I think your engines are pretty good as-is. I was glad to get rid of my old Dagobah X-Wing... always hated that snotty repaint.

IMHO, a Viper Mk VII would still be better than an X-Wing to make a BB with, but it would require a lot more sawing through zamac than I was prepared to do! Sanding zamac was bad enough. You'd have to make holes for the struts, saw off the back, saw off the wings... it would be nightmare! But I'd still like to see one... just to see how it looks. I'd actually do it if I had a working lightsaber and an extra Viper.

Yeah, I was talking about the Guardian Raider from Razor... I think all you'd really need to do is sand the "classic" Raider into a more angular shape, add some steering jets, and repaint it. Voila!

Nightside
03-02-2009, 08:27 PM
OK, so here's phase III. I took an X-ray Fleet X-wing and cut off the wings, nose and back end. For the engines I used the legs from an X-ray Fleet AT-AT (closer than the Go-bot arms, but still not perfect). I used scrap plastic for the rest of the modifications.

Darth Duranium
03-03-2009, 09:24 AM
Holy Smoke, Dr. Jones! Looks great, Night... especially the cockpit zone... I can't wait to see what Phase IV, V, VI and VII will look like! I'm liking that clipped arse and I like your new engines, too... better scale methinks.

Now if you'll just send me your new and improved cockpit section, I'll just slap my engines on and we'll see the best of both worlds... on my shelf! Mwah-ha-ha!:twisted:

Nightside
03-03-2009, 03:23 PM
Now if you'll just send me your new and improved cockpit section, I'll just slap my engines on and we'll see the best of both worlds... on my shelf!

I think some sort of shared custody arragement would need to be worked out...

After taking the photos yesterday, I decided the engines were too far from the body, so, after much debate, I decided to cut them off, remove some plastic and reattach. I like their position much better now.

Darth Duranium
03-04-2009, 12:28 AM
Okay, I'll take the Blackbird on weekends and holidays...:yes:

I can really see your cockpit section in these new pics, Night... wow! It's perfect. Very nice... your engines are even better now... if you ever find another set of Pegasus' engines, that's it, I'll throw in the towel!

I am pretty content with my BB... I'm gonna leave it alone... for now, anyway! Unless I come across a Viper Mk VII...

The only good thing about this brutal winter that we've had in the NE is that I've had the time to finish another custom... this time it's the Icarus from the original Planet of the Apes.

Lemme know what you guys think! Next up: a Titanium-sized Moonbus from 2001...

Nightside
03-04-2009, 04:52 PM
The only good thing about this brutal winter that we've had in the NE is that I've had the time to finish another custom... this time it's the Icarus from the original Planet of the Apes.

Looks great, DT! Looking forward to your next custom. Keep the pics coming.

Blue2th
03-06-2009, 10:26 AM
Very nice Nightside, Darth Titanium!

Inspiring! :thumbsup:

JediTricks
03-07-2009, 08:01 PM
Very cool work all around!

JediTricks
04-21-2010, 06:09 PM
So, if you have $1200, you too can own 1 of 40 foot-long Blackbird replicas:
http://store.quantummechanix.com/Blackbird-Artisan-Replica--House-Edition_p_95.html

Or you could buy a few therapy sessions to help deal with the insanity you're feeling for trying to buy a $1200 footlong model of a vehicle used in 3 episodes of a cable TV sci-fi show. ;)

Darth Duranium
04-21-2010, 11:34 PM
I'm now shakily reaching for my meds... damn JT, that's an amazing replica. Thanks for the link. The cockpit is frakkin' stunning, not to mention everything else. Beautiful job.

The nice doctors here on the ward tell me that I'm not allowed to spend $1200+ on such things and are now strapping me into the Comfy Chair.
All work and no play make Homie go something something...

:crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

JediTricks
04-22-2010, 05:55 PM
Not well, not well! :p

Yeah, it's a really good piece of work, no doubt about that. But I'd be more impressed holding the artwork of 12 $100 bills. ;)

Darth Duranium
04-26-2010, 11:59 AM
I'd be more impressed holding the artwork of 12 $100 bills. ;)

Me too! I love QMX's stuff but I like food, shelter, and not having alimony payments too. Clearly, QMX is for folks who are in another tax bracket. It feels like I'm a Troglyte (from TOS' The Cloud Minders) and QMX's stuff is just floatin' around up there in the sky.

BTW, Doug Drexler posted some pages from their BSG Emmy Presentation Book... cool stuff. I've always thought that BSG was a high-water mark for television VFX.

http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2010/04/25/bsg-vfx-2007-08-primetime-emmy-presentation-book/#more-20946