PDA

View Full Version : Obi-Wan Kenobi [BD 34]

JEDIpartner
01-24-2009, 11:32 AM
A couple few years ago, we were promised some potentially good action figures courtesy of the VOTC line. As you may be well aware, that line gave us a mix of some amazing and some not so amazing figures. One of the not so amazing ones was Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi from “A New Hope”. The figure had an oversized (even by most softgoods standards) robe and the lower part of his inner garment was missing the additional details of the lower tabard.

Fortunately, Hasbro as offered us a VERY good re-do of this figure. This figure has ball-jointed knees, elbows, ankles and shoulders. The size of the robe isn’t completely offensive. He also has swivel wrists, a swivel waist joint and a curious neck joint. The neck is a peg that appears ball-jointed at the base, which is nestled inside the collar. There is a second ball-joint at the base of the head. This allows for a greater range of motion. Sadly, it also makes the neck much thinner. The good thing is that you don’t really notice it due the incredible headsculpt.

The downside of this figure is that it doesn’t have a separate lightsaber hilt that you can “clip” onto his belt. Honestly, for me, this is a very minor quibble, so I will give it a pass.

The holographic Leia has a hole drilled into the base of it. It plugs into a peg in the centre of the table that is packed in with the figure. The table comes in two pieces and simply snaps together. It's a great little accessory and will help flesh out the scene at Ben's adobe. There is a little pitcher/pot and two cups sculpted into the top of the table for added detail.

We were waiting for an improved Obi-Wan and this is it, kids. I don’t really see it getting much better than this one!

Includes left leg for Astromech droid. This edition was for R2-L3.

I'd rate this a 10 out of 10.

mark2d2
01-31-2009, 04:16 AM
The accessories totally make this fig for me. They are just outstanding. Flat out amazing. That said, it sure is nice to hear that the figure itself is also equally a winner...

plasticfetish
03-01-2009, 04:49 AM
I've been seeing figures from this wave a lot over the last few days. It's as if they all just appeared suddenly after weeks of nothing here. I hadn't been seeing Obi-Wan until tonight though, which tells me that along with the Jawa, they're getting snatched up quickly.

When I was a kid, the Obi-Wan Kenner figure that I had (still have it actually), came with what was probably the worst paint job on any toy that isn't a bootleg. And I had to laugh when I saw this new Obi-Wan figure tonight... though I'm still excited about it, and everything else looked great, it had this horrible paint problem, where his beard covered half his face... just like my old Kenner figure. :)

Blue2th
03-01-2009, 09:14 AM
For some reason now I want to say Obi-Wan Adobe. :)

Yes this is an outstanding figure, and you get nice accessories, and a BAD part. That's value.
Don't see very many of him along with the Jawa (only once and I bought it)
just remnants of Han and Luke of the wave.