PDA

View Full Version : I went to a Cat Show today. It was my first time ever.

Tycho
01-26-2009, 02:53 AM
Well there were cats everywhere! And I met people who really love them. Still, I don’t think I’d EVER bring my cats into an environment like that and subject them to all that drama.

My cats, especially my shy-girl, would be overwhelmed by all the people and animals. I watched the judges go through the cats very quickly, too. I guess they’re experts and know what they’re looking for -but they barely gave each kitty time to adapt and get to know the "new stranger" when they tried to see if the cat was playful and would attack a feather. One of mine would never! (At least not for 5 or 10 minutes - until she got to know the stranger. And she’s very playful with me - and very loving.)

But I suppose some of these show-cats are used to the competition circuit.

Still, that’s just not how I appreciate my animals.

Meanwhile, they had really cool cat trees on display there, and all the latest in kitty-litter-technology, hybrid foods, etc. etc. I stopped myself before I spent a fortune (well I was only interested in the cat trees really out of some last, desperate hope I could at long last save at least one sofa). But honestly, my babies might have a lot of fun with these things but I wanted to look at the website so I could see all the design options available to me and my little friends.

The other really good thing that was going on there was all the humane society adoptions. A good thing about that too, was you didn’t take a cat home with you on the spot, but applied for a background check and so-on, and then you’d arrange to pick up your adopted cat at a later date. The same thing could be noted about the kitten adoptions, too.

They also had a cat obstacle course or "agility proving ground." When I first saw this, I laughed. These are cats! The ladies "on the field" with these cats were wasting their time and delusional if they thought that most of these cats could be trained to run an obstacle course. The first time I watched, a cat simply stretched out and lay down to sleep in front of the first jump.

I passed by there later hower, and a youngster (not small enough to still be called a kitten - but I’d guess around 2 years old nevertheless) did 3 laps through the course just as I made my way up to watch. He was chasing "a bird" on an eslastic line and probably having the best time of his life jumping over, through and diving under everything. It kind of redeemed the lady who I first saw the older cat go to sleep on.

Anyway, this was my first cat show. Eh. Maybe I’ll go to another one on down the line. At least I know that cat tree bargains can be had there when exhibitors are packing up things at the end of the convention. I just would never subject my babies to that kind of chaos though. But I guess to each their own. There are cats I saw there who seemed perfectly accustomed to the whole thing and rather enjoyed themselves.

Oh - and one who won a ribbon promptly ripped it down off its cage and had a great time chewing on it!

JediTricks
01-26-2009, 03:33 AM
I honestly don't get pet pageants or baby pageants, it's making a decision for something which cannot make a decision for themselves, and it's not one in their best interest.

So, why did you go to this exactly?

Slicker
01-26-2009, 03:39 AM
So, why did you go to this exactly?He makes all of these strange threads and you ask why he went?! This is probably one of the more sane things he's ever done!

JediTricks
01-26-2009, 03:50 AM
It helps decipher the mystery of what could possibly drive a being to make those sorts of posts. I'm asking for posterity... and for my amateur psychological pathologists course. ;)

LTBasker
01-26-2009, 04:30 AM
So, why did you go to this exactly?

It's quite obvious; curiosity spectated the cat.

Tycho
01-26-2009, 05:54 AM
Basker's got it: I had never been to a cat show before and I was curious.

By the way, do you know how many girls are in attendance at cat shows?

Hello kitty!

In the majority of cases, women prefer cats and men prefer having dogs.

I met 2 girls at the show and exchanged contact information. I'm obviously hoping for more contact. ;)

I also happen to like peaceful, serene pets, and having given my cats a lot of love, they actually DO come when I whistle for them (they like the main title theme to Star Wars lately. Go figure).

I did grow up having also owned a dog and I'd like to get 2 new dogs at some point in the future when I have a house with a yard. (maybe - living without any pets is also tempting, but first I have a lifetime commitment to these cats).

But back to the question at hand, I'd never been to a cat show and I have some interest, so as I was curious, I went.

bobafrett
01-26-2009, 06:58 AM
I met 2 girls at the show and exchanged contact information. I'm obviously hoping for more contact. ;)

He wants to pet their kitty's! Meow!

pbarnard
01-26-2009, 11:03 AM
I think he went to test the effectiveness of allergy medications.

Blue2th
01-26-2009, 11:04 AM
It's funny as has been said that men like dogs and women like cats.
I like them both (does that make me AC/DC in the animal kingdom? :Ponder:)

It would seem guys should like cats more because they are low maintenance. I know I like a low maintenance thing in a relationship.

Then again you just can't get that undevided loyalty from a puddin' head. They like to run around and do their own thing.

Cat shows are kinda cool though. All kinds of exotic felines you never thought existed. And yeah lots of felines on two legs. Too bad the last show I went to was with my X.

LTBasker
01-26-2009, 11:30 AM
I like both cats and dogs, but prefer dogs due to the lack of a litter box. Especially larger dogs like our German Shepherd, she's been one of the most fun animals I've ever had - I just wish we had a larger backyard for her.

mtriv73
01-26-2009, 11:31 AM
I went to a cat show once because my then girlfriend (now wife) asked me to go with her. Many of the animal owners were strange people. I guess anyone who would drive around putting their pets in pageants isn't expected to be entirely normal though. All in all it was neat to see that there was more out there than just the tabby's who always show up at my house and become pets. I really liked the maine coons I saw. They were huge.

JEDIpartner
01-26-2009, 01:02 PM
I thought the title of this thread was "I went to a cat house today. It was my first time ever." LOL

Qui-Long Gone
01-26-2009, 05:03 PM
OMG, so did I!!!!!:D

pbarnard
01-26-2009, 05:05 PM
I thought the title of this thread was "I went to a cat house today. It was my first time ever." LOL

Ya think he mighta went before today...but who knows.

JediTricks
01-26-2009, 05:20 PM
Basker's got it: I had never been to a cat show before and I was curious.I've never drunken Draino before, doesn't mean I want to try it now.

Dogs are too high maintenance, over the years I've had cats, dogs, lizards, snakes, and rats, and of those I feel the domestic feline is the best choice of the bunch - they're aesthetically appealing, they don't take up much space, they can stand to be alone, they can play, they can share emotion, they can defend themselves, and they don't require much special care.

Blue2th
01-26-2009, 07:29 PM
Yeah except when my sister brought her male cat who's a bully, and likes to pick on my little Grandma cat that's 14+ years old. We keep him on a leash downstairs at night and keep them separated.

Got so sick of him and having to deal with it, sometimes I tie him up outside, because my sister is scared he runs off. Now that's the first high maintenance cat I've encountered. Though both are part Siamese so I think that accounts for some of that.

Sometimes I think a little trip to the outskirts of town with a 22 would solve that problem, but no. :ninja:

TeeEye7
01-26-2009, 08:27 PM
Cats in my neighborhood are good coyote food.

Tycho
01-26-2009, 11:33 PM

No. I keep a room over there and they know I like it "shakin', never stirred."

As to a cat outside on a leash? That's dangerous because of larger predators - though I take it that a coyote or wolf would be doing you a favor from your point of view.

JEDIpartner
01-27-2009, 09:41 AM

I'm glad it wasn't just me!!!! :thumbsup:

No. I keep a room over there and they know I like it "shakin', never stirred."

Yes, of course!! :D

Blue2th
01-27-2009, 11:50 AM
As to a cat outside on a leash? That's dangerous because of larger predators - though I take it that a coyote or wolf would be doing you a favor from your point of view.

There have been coyotes going after cats in my neighborhood.
This cat wouldn't survive one day loose outside I suspect. That's what happens when they are raised all their life inside by smothering women. They lack the tom cat skills needed to survive. I like to turn my cats in to little ninjas. Sure there's some scratches but all part of the training program. lol
This cat can't even catch a bird, and is too overweight to do some serious jumping. No he's kept in the backyard, and I have high walls, so yeah he's still got a sheltered protected life. (As Yoda said: "He is too old to train")

Funny I am most irritated by this cat, but every night he likes to sleep on the end of my bed.
Are cats like women? If you treat them bad, the more they like you?

Tycho
01-27-2009, 08:41 PM
I don't know. Exactly anyway. I've always had girl cats. I've noticed that lady cats get along with guys better, and human girls do better with male cats. They're very hetero animals. (I date human girls, btw - I just have girl cats for pets - just in case I need to clear that up.)

My cats are never allowed outdoors though. They are very clean and never get fleas this way - and I also can control what they eat so I don't end up rushing to the vet and spending a fortune if one of them eats poison or ingests something else they shouldn't have.

Best: no sick human can abuse them and they won't get hit by a car. I hate seeing that and once tried to rescue a cat I saw get hit, but we couldn't make it to the veterinarian in time. Too sad. I really tried. And the cat died in my arms. :cry:

bobafrett
01-27-2009, 08:43 PM
That is very sad. My family's Irish setter, Joshua, died in my dad's arms, I'm glad I wasn't around for that.

QLD
01-27-2009, 10:40 PM
I do find that most people who frequent dog/cat shows are just as "odd' as the people who frequent children's pageants.

Blue2th
01-28-2009, 03:46 PM
...yeah but cat and dog people don't raise as many eyebrows or aren't visited by Chris Hansen eventually.

I've rescued a few animals that people have hit with their cars. I find it very odd and shocking to see how many people just avoid the hurt animal and pass by.
Makes you wonder how apathetic they would be if it was a human lying on the road squirming with pain. :shocked:

JediTricks
01-28-2009, 03:56 PM
Cats in my neighborhood are good coyote food.Mine too, actually. We have a fair number of coyotes come down from the hills in Griffith Park at night, especially with the fire a few years ago devastating their hunting grounds. Cats are not good outdoor pets, they can get feline leukemia from just peeing in the same place as another cat with the disease.

Lord Malakite
01-28-2009, 05:46 PM
My cats are never allowed outdoors though. They are very clean and never get fleas this way - and I also can control what they eat so I don't end up rushing to the vet and spending a fortune if one of them eats poison or ingests something else they shouldn't have.
You know they do make a "preventive" medicine for the flea thing that you can give your cat on a monthly basis. Most of our cats have spent their entire lives outdoors and they have lived relatively good lives to date. Of the two "outdoor only" cats that we owned that have passed away one was around 16-17 years old and the other was around 22-23 years old. My mom got both of them (sisters) when she was in high school, and they didn't pass until I was in high school and later college.