PDA

View Full Version : New Arc-170 (?)

mtriv73
01-28-2009, 04:00 PM
BBTS (http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=HAS16705&mode=retail) just posted a pre-order for a deluxe Arc-170.

The picture looks like an old one with a new paint job. But from the price, it may be a newer, bigger, more accurate sculpt.

I guess we'll know by toyfair.

JediTricks
01-28-2009, 04:12 PM
Naw, that's the same old turkey sculpt as 4 years ago. It's just sporting an imperial paint scheme.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-28-2009, 04:36 PM
They showed the box at the same Canadian thing that revealed the Turbo Tank. It looks pretty cool, but this better not become the next Jedi Starfighter - it's the fourth damn one!

Dark Marble
01-28-2009, 04:42 PM
You know Jabba, you just recently put up a post that had a deluxe Star Wars vehicle for $64.99 in the Target cpu. It isn't going to be this is it??? A $30 ship with a new paint job doubled in price?

El Chuxter
01-28-2009, 04:46 PM
It's Vader's ARC-170. Look for Palpatine's ARC-170, Cody's ARC-170, Tarkin's ARC-170, Thrawn's ARC-170, and Luke's ARC-170 (from the backup feature in an issue of Republic that was only released in Cambodia), all retailer exclusives for 2009, with suggested retail prices starting at the unbelievably low price of only $75!!

Dark Marble
01-28-2009, 04:52 PM
Vader's ARC...OMG I really hope you are kidding...I really do.

El Chuxter
01-28-2009, 04:56 PM
I never kid.

I just lie.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-28-2009, 05:11 PM
The clone pilots and Death Star on the box lead me to believe that it's just an early-Imperial thing, that could go with Vader's black Jedi Starfighter. As I said in a different thread, I would rather have the Imperial V-wing, but whatever. Since it's from this post-CW era, then, I'm not sure why they have it in a CW box.

And I really hope it's not $65. The $50 Walmart one was bad enough. I suppose it's not out of the question, though . . . we'll see at Toy Fair, hopefully.

lifeinabox
01-28-2009, 06:43 PM
Since it's from this post-CW era, then, I'm not sure why they have it in a CW box.
Perhaps it's a spoiler?

Engineernerd
01-28-2009, 06:57 PM
"other elements that are not suitable for children under 16 years of age."

I find this sad. I had a chemistry set and lived through it.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-28-2009, 07:07 PM
Perhaps it's a spoiler?
Don't worry; it's not. They won't be getting to post-ROTS stuff in the show for at least several years, if ever.

jedibear
01-28-2009, 08:57 PM
We all know that Hasbro will repaint and redetail every ship they have to get the maximum mileage out of those molds. Nothin' wrong with that...it's just business. Just look at the gazillion different versions of the ROTS Jedi Starfighter that there have been...and I'm sure they're not done yet!
While I agree that this particular release seems better suited to the Legacy line, I gotta say that box art just rocks! Love the rendering of the under construction DS in the background.

mtriv73
01-29-2009, 10:18 AM
"other elements that are not suitable for children under 16 years of age."

I find this sad. I had a chemistry set and lived through it.

BBTS puts that disclaimer on a lot of things (even the AT-TE which was obviously designed for kids.)

If this is just a repaint (which I now really believe it is) then there is no way I'm buying it. After reusing the mold multiple times you'd think the price would go down, not up. Greed is not good.

Edit: After seeing the BBTS news (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=16&p2_articleid=1927), it seems it may be all new after all.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-29-2009, 11:43 PM
I still don't think it's new. And it's even $75 at EntertainmentEarth. Sheesh.

bobafrett
01-30-2009, 12:30 AM
I'm glad I don't have the room or disposable income to buy these ships.

mtriv73
01-30-2009, 10:09 AM
I still don't think it's new. And it's even $75 at EntertainmentEarth. Sheesh.

Yeah, EE's write-up makes it sound like it is just a reissue. $75 is ridiculous for this. Even $65 is ridiculous.

JediTricks
01-30-2009, 05:01 PM
BBTS puts that disclaimer on a lot of things (even the AT-TE which was obviously designed for kids.)

If this is just a repaint (which I now really believe it is) then there is no way I'm buying it. After reusing the mold multiple times you'd think the price would go down, not up. Greed is not good.

Edit: After seeing the BBTS news (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=16&p2_articleid=1927), it seems it may be all new after all.Wishful thinking, I believe BBTS' news there is hyperbole or a mistake. That preview image shows the same old ARC-170, right down to the stupid sticker for the red headlight on the nose, the stubby wings, the same cruddy droid socket, the front 2 cockpits using a single canopy, and the crappy cannon designs. Why would Hasbro even want to redo this mold when there's not all that much call for it?

As for mold costs, repaints are factored into the original budgets, and molds require regular maintenance, so there are factors for why they don't want to lower those prices. But to raise them, that's crazy.