PDA

View Full Version : Is SSG dying?

Old Fossil
01-29-2009, 06:09 PM
This was mentioned on a thread: "No wonder SSG is dying."

Do you think it is? I know it has been a bit quiet round here in the past month or so, but I hadn't noticed it being unusually quiet.

I know there's a lot less posters on the forum here than on other sites, but I just took it to be the norm for SSG. It's one reason I like to come here. I know most of the names and voices, and that's comforting. [80'S TV THEME]"Where everybody knows your name."[/80'S TV THEME]

I haven't considered that SSG might be "dying," but the more I think about it, the more I wonder.

Darth Jax
01-29-2009, 06:12 PM
it's not SSG, per se. it's just that many star wars fans are becoming disenfranchised - hence they stop posting. or they finish school and don't have time in the real world to still frequent SSG.

Blue2th
01-29-2009, 06:18 PM
I took a little break but never really left. The Holiday rush and the ever-present-on-my-mind Election has left me spent in more ways than one.

I think SSG is evolving (isn't that what you are supposed to do or you do die?)

It's a good thing we can talk about other things here, or talk about nothing. :)

Beast
01-29-2009, 06:53 PM
Most of the Star Wars focused sites have been fairly quiet as of late.

Other than the new Toon, there's not much to talk about.

Of course, Toy Fair will spark the activity levels for a while.

sith_killer_99
01-29-2009, 06:54 PM
There is a core of regulars who post here. It's sort of like a family, as opposed to a massive anonymous site with thousands of posters. I like the atmosphere here. It's like...."Sometimes you wanna go, where everybody knows your name.....and they're always glad you came.":D:yes:

El Chuxter
01-29-2009, 06:56 PM
iit's just that many star wars fans are becoming disenfranchised

Before this rumor goes any further, no one is losing the right to vote.

Darth Jax
01-29-2009, 07:03 PM
perhaps you would prefer disillusioned, or maybe the "magic" that sparked their imagination at a younger age has worn off.

sith_killer_99
01-29-2009, 07:04 PM
Before this rumor goes any further, no one is losing the right to vote.

Is there a poll going on?:D

Mad Slanted Powers
01-29-2009, 07:25 PM
There is a core of regulars who post here. It's sort of like a family, as opposed to a massive anonymous site with thousands of posters. I like the atmosphere here. It's like...."Sometimes you wanna go, where everybody knows your name.....and they're always glad you came.":D:yes:That's what I like about the site. It's just about the right size. RS or starwars.com have far too many posts to sort through. I've looked at other sites, and they often don't seem to have the activity that we have here. I also like that there is plenty of discussion on things other than Star Wars.

Darth Duranium
01-29-2009, 07:26 PM
I'll vote: Seems pretty lively to me. For the stuff that I collect, SSG's still the best place to go for information, period, stop.

The "Cheers Factor" is an added bonus... many bright and funny fans here... I think the forum's great.

Most debates don't seem to degenerate into anything too mean-spirited.

Except when I post saucy pics of Vince from ShamWow!:)

TeeEye7
01-29-2009, 07:43 PM
SSG by the numbers (rounded off for simplicity):

Members: 9,600
Threads: 35,000

Diagnosis: :thumbsup:

DarthQuack
01-29-2009, 07:50 PM
I haven't been around too much the last few months....Haven't been collecting either....getting too expensive and I'm not getting large enough raises at work, but I still buy the books, and although I'm about 30 novels behind on being current, I still get around to reading them slowly.

LTBasker
01-29-2009, 08:07 PM
Strange, I thought it had been pretty lively these past couple of years. The board seemed uberslow before ROTS came out, but after 2005 it seemed to slowly build back up into a pretty chatty place.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-29-2009, 08:26 PM
Keep in mind that I still like this site, but, I mean, look around.

The ad space in the middle of the posts, the inability of new guests to look at the boards for very long without signing up, the unending "contest" which seems to be little more than a way to generate traffic, the addition of watermarks to every attachment, and the posting of StarWars.com press releases lead me to believe that this site is looking for more traffic and money. It's just a lot all at once, since it's all happened over the course of a few weeks.

El Chuxter
01-29-2009, 08:39 PM
I'd wager that's because toy retailers aren't doing as well (combination of the slowdown in non-CW toys and the recession) and don't have as much to spend on advertising, making usage statistics and ad visibility more valuable than ever.

bigbarada
01-29-2009, 08:40 PM
Well, running a website is not free. If money is not being generated by traffic, then it has to come out of someone's pocket. If Steve is trying to get the site to start making more money, then more power to him. I hope it's successful because I've been a member here for 7 years and would like for this site to be around for at least another 7 years.

This site has always had a more relaxed and casual feel to it compared to places like RS or starwars.com. It's a place where you can catch your breath and think things through before responding.

I compare those other forums to being in a roomful of people and everyone is shouting at the top of their lungs, wanting to be heard, and no one is listening to anybody else.

jedibear
01-29-2009, 08:41 PM
There is a core of regulars who post here. It's sort of like a family, as opposed to a massive anonymous site with thousands of posters. I like the atmosphere here.

That's always how I feel about this place. Sometimes I just lurk, but I enjoy posting pics here and reading the back and forth that goes on. There are some highly opinionated folks in here, but it never gets that nasty over the top nonsense that some other sites get,,,

Isn't there always SOME kind of poll going on here? With the subsequent discussions about said poll? :laugh:

That's what I like about the site. It's just about the right size. RS or starwars.com have far too many posts to sort through. I've looked at other sites, and they often don't seem to have the activity that we have here. I also like that there is plenty of discussion on things other than Star Wars.

It's true...there is somewhat of a variety here and it is a little more condensed, which I appreciate. For example...I much prefer to read and talk about figures in waves instead of having to hit seven or eight different threads like some other site does...LOL

I just wish I could post reviews with pics in the review section here...but I guess I'm not high enough in the food chain...it's alright though....that's what the forums are for...:)

I was kind of surprised to see the ad banners in the middle of the forums, but...hey, nothing's free right?

JediTricks
01-29-2009, 08:56 PM
After a year's absence, yes actually! Go check the poll forum, I started a new poll on Monday.

SirSteve
01-29-2009, 09:54 PM
Dying? Not at all. However, it is true that collecting in general is slow across the boards... in my opinion, that's due to the current economy. What's going to take a back-seat for most people are non-necessities and to most, that would be their collectibles. That causes a trickle-down effect... less sales = less new product = less news.

As for some of the recent changes... the new ad positioning is (as I stated before) only supposed to show 1 ad (after the first post) per page instead of once every 10 posts. So if you are viewing 20 posts, you'll see 2 ads (until it's fixed). The limitation of viewing if not logged in... it's not too much to ask to register after viewing a number of threads as the goal is to get more people posting. Ads are, and always will be, a necessary evil. Without them, the site could not be maintained at the level it is. It costs a lot of money to keep the site running (bandwidth, software, developers, server admin, travel expenses, equipment, etc) and we have no other means of revenues other than advertising. Also, we do keep it just Star Wars related ads. The contest I started... if you have not figured it out, it's possible that it never ends. It's something for fun. If you don't like it, don't post. The watermark... people take the photos and post them on other sites. What is the problem about knowing where it originated? This sends more people back to the site. More people = more users = more interactions. The bottom line is, myself and everyone that helps keep the site going does so because we are passionate about Star Wars. You try revolving you life around "breaking news" and being able to post it virtually around the clock. It's not easy. Take a look at most toy sites... they have a lot more ads than we do. Even compared to StarWars.com and they have virtually unlimited resources. We prefer having a few quality advertisers than having 20 different advertisers on one page or a big splash page ad. All we ask of you is to use our links when you purchase something so we can continue doing what we do.

We can never make everyone happy but we try to make most people happy. While we appreciate the feedback, we are always looking for suggestions to make the site better so how about starting a thread on how we can do that? If it's within our means, we will surely give it a try.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-29-2009, 10:32 PM
Glad to know that it's not this site, then. I'd hate to see it go. :)

2-1B
01-29-2009, 10:34 PM
Thanks Papa Bear ! :)

Keep the ads coming, especially the funny ones like Avocado Hulk, Skullf***er Crumb, and the Phallic Space Slug. lol

Seriously though, it's kinda crazy to look back and think I've been coming to this site since 1997 or so...and posting (or at least reading) the forums since 1999 or thereabouts.

Personally, I'm not as "into" SSG as I used to be but that's because of the lack of new films and my 2006 retirement from collecting. I still collect the cards but I don't get crazy about buying stuff like I used to. I don't even buy them by the box/case anymore, just base sets and a few chase cards on the aftermarket.

Lots of years under the ol' belt, so I give you credit for how long you have kept things running. :)

bobafrett
01-29-2009, 10:39 PM
I enjoy the few ads we do see. I've been on other sites, and I don't even bother posting there, for one I've been posting here and feel like part of the family, the othertoo many ads like those on othersites make the page to busy, and I lose focus on the content in the forums. A few ads don't bother me. Now if Steve could get 3 million for a 30 second ad like they are getting for the Super game, then he'd be all good!

JetsAndHeels
01-29-2009, 10:44 PM
This place can't die...I have too many memories of being a member here. I remember all types of things from here...from our excitement at the new movies and toys, to the fantasy sports leagues, to our reactions to things like 9/11 and the high cost of gas. We have been through alot on here. Most of all, enjoying the fandom and getting to spend time chatting with fellow collectors is always a good thing.

Mvader91
01-29-2009, 11:03 PM
Sirsteve is the man, there will always being concern or question. I think his post sums it up. Thank you sirsteve!!

sith_killer_99
01-29-2009, 11:14 PM
This place can't die...I have too many memories of being a member here. I remember all types of things from here...from our excitement at the new movies and toys, to the fantasy sports leagues, to our reactions to things like 9/11 and the high cost of gas. We have been through alot on here. Most of all, enjoying the fandom and getting to spend time chatting with fellow collectors is always a good thing.

Well said, may this site NEVER die.

Steve, I don't mind the ads.

clone157
01-30-2009, 12:41 AM
I love this site. The majority of posters are very knowledgeable, cordial, and friendly. Mostly. ;) If only Dan Corto didn't constantly scoop us on news with Rebelscum, I wouldn't go anywhere else for my collecting news.

SirSteve
01-30-2009, 01:15 AM
I love this site. The majority of posters are very knowledgeable, cordial, and friendly. Mostly. ;) If only Dan Corto didn't constantly scoop us on news with Rebelscum, I wouldn't go anywhere else for my collecting news.

We are all basically getting the same news from the same sources right now. There are plenty of times we get news posted before them and vice-versa. Granted I don't have the time to check other sites every time we post news but I do on occasion just to see what others are up to. You also have to realize that Dan is a full-time, paid employee of Philip Wise (who owns TFN, Official Pix, RS, and several other sites) to maintain RS. I am not trying to make excuses but I am telling you how it is. I simply don't have that luxury to tend to SSG full-time and this may be a surprise to you but SSG does not pay my living expenses.

However, I think we do pretty good. It goes back and forth IMO.

clone157
01-30-2009, 01:20 AM
Dude, I had no idea, and meant no disrespect. I am sorry, I still love the site, though.:love:

Slicker
01-30-2009, 01:49 AM
I still cruise the site regularly. I don't post much that's informational but MEH! That's why we have people like JJL.

SirSteve
01-30-2009, 01:50 AM
Dude, I had no idea, and meant no disrespect. I am sorry, I still love the site, though.:love:

None taken. :thumbsup:

Kidhuman
01-30-2009, 05:05 AM
I guess I can put away the Defibrillator then.

DarthQuack
01-30-2009, 05:33 AM
This place will neva die. Slick's mom will fund it if necessary and we'll all contribute to her hands down.

Slicker
01-30-2009, 06:08 AM
I guess I can put away the Defibrillator then.Put that thing away or you're gonna get us all killed!!!

sith_killer_99
01-30-2009, 09:46 AM
I guess I can put away the Defibrillator then.

Here, let me have that, I know what I'm doing...I am a professional after all.:thumbsup:

UKWildcat
01-30-2009, 12:19 PM
the inability of new guests to look at the boards for very long without signing up

This is very obnoxious. And because I no longer stay logged into the forum, it automatically logs me out for some strange reason, I have to constantly keep logging back in to just read one or two threads. :mad:

Darth Jax
01-30-2009, 12:29 PM
This is very obnoxious. And because I no longer stay logged into the forum, it automatically logs me out for some strange reason, I have to constantly keep logging back in to just read one or two threads. :mad:

you need to clear your cache. it's loading an "older" page. happens after every update. you'll be able to stay logged in, rather than having to log in everytime.

UKWildcat
01-30-2009, 12:55 PM
you need to clear your cache. it's loading an "older" page. happens after every update. you'll be able to stay logged in, rather than having to log in everytime.

I'll try that and let you know if it works. Its just weird because this have never happened to me at this site (or any other) and I stay logged in at all my other forums... But I'll give that a go and post my results. :)

UKWildcat
01-30-2009, 03:29 PM
It still logged me out. :mad:

Darth Jax
01-30-2009, 05:22 PM
It still logged me out. :mad:

send a PM to JT, he should be able to give ya other ideas if that didn't solve the problem.

QLD
01-30-2009, 06:45 PM
I still pop in every now and then. But yeah, like a lot of people, I quit collecting almost 2 years ago. My divorce was the big encouragement, but I had already grown weary of it. The lack of interest in Star Wars also plays a part in my inactivity, as I did not enjoy the prequels, and it sort of extinguished my love for Star Wars as a whole. Aside from a few Gentle Giant statues, I don't own any Star Wars items. Ok, that's not true, I have my entire figure collection in plastic tubs in my grandfather's basement, and I awaiting to give them to some child who may enjoy them, because they are not worth much money at all these days. However, the main reason I still check in, is because of the associations with various members here. Though my absence has pretty much killed those too unfortunately.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-30-2009, 07:23 PM
The contest I started... if you have not figured it out, it's possible that it never ends. It's something for fun. If you don't like it, don't post.Wait... you mean I may not be a winner? But I already spent my winnings on 1980s-era Wheel of Fortune sculptures... :( ;)

An email I got from sw.com has something about the 10-year anniversary of the Prequels beginning, and that's about the same for me at this site. This is basically my MySpace or Facebook; I'm willing to share some personal info with some people, but I prefer the anynomity of my user name. :D Keep it going, Steve, I'll keep coming back as long as it's fun! And it still is.

No need to write the epitaph yet... but bawdy limericks are always good. :p :thereoncewasamanfrom:

Jargo
01-31-2009, 08:51 PM
SSG can only die when the plug is pulled. regardless of how many people are visting. until the plug is pulled there will always be life here in what we post. even the banned ones are in the archives. years worth of talking and arguing and debating and nitpicking and whatever*.

it's like a journal. when you read a journal you get a sense of the life of that person. you can trace them through time viccariously. you reanimate their life in your mind. as long as there's one person here and the lights are still on SSG lives.

*quality is variable.

dr_evazan22
01-31-2009, 08:58 PM

This happens to me as well. I just kinda assumed that my computer is trying to take over and changed some security setting whilst I wasn't looking. What's weird is that when I'm logged in, reading a thread, and there's a link to another thread, it then gives me that obnoxious note telling me I've perused to many threads.

Back on topic though, no SSG ain't dyin'. Many of the same friends are here who were here when I first started coming here. Its great because while we have a number of differing opinions we get along without resulting in flame wars (usually:D).

sith_killer_99
01-31-2009, 09:11 PM
SSG can only die when the plug is pulled. regardless of how many people are visting. until the plug is pulled there will always be life here in what we post. even the banned ones are in the archives. years worth of talking and arguing and debating and nitpicking and whatever*.

it's like a journal. when you read a journal you get a sense of the life of that person. you can trace them through time viccariously. you reanimate their life in your mind. as long as there's one person here and the lights are still on SSG lives.

I didn't know you were such an existentialist.:p

Jargo
01-31-2009, 10:48 PM
depends what I'm smoking.

sith_killer_99
01-31-2009, 11:10 PM
depends what I'm smoking.

Well, it looks like your smoking a big old fatty!:yes:lol

Blue2th
02-01-2009, 03:07 AM

*quality is variable.

If you go back and read some of Vulcantouch's posts it like a spiritual experience.

Jargo
02-01-2009, 08:42 AM
some of VT's posts are like trying to read the dead sea scrolls too. lol

Bel-Cam Jos
02-01-2009, 09:47 AM
And don't all of us JUST have a few million years left anyway? So SSG should start making its own bucket list. Therefore:

SSG's OWN TOP TEN LIST OF THINGS TO DO BEFORE IT DIES IN 400+ MILLION YEARS:
10. Write the Great American Blog its been working on all these years.
9. Visit a world famous Google Maps site.
8. Come up with a really witty and unique sig line (then explain it! :) ).
7. Learn a second non-binary language. :00110101:
6. Eat nachos while wearing pants with Lemmy and Slicker's mom in an 80s TV show avatar.
5. Grow a goatee. :beard:
4. Fight and defeat the ISE monster.
3. Ask out that hot web girls site. :love:
2. Start workign out to lose some of those unwanted pounds and get rock-hard laptops.
1. Take a computer class. :pleased:

TeeEye7
02-01-2009, 09:59 AM
3. Ask out that hot web girls site. :love:

Like Denise Melani, for instance?

No can do: I'm married!

sith_killer_99
02-01-2009, 10:35 AM
N i i i i i i i ce.....really nice!!!:love:

Blue2th
02-01-2009, 01:32 PM
5. Grow a goatee. :beard:

1. Take a computer class. :pleased:

Well, I've been doin' that and that. :yes:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-01-2009, 01:45 PM
Oh, Denise Milani, how you tease us so . . .

We should have an official SSG beard grow-off. I'm currently rockin' that skeezy Frenchman thing so I win.

Darth Jax
02-01-2009, 02:11 PM
oh, the days when 'the beard' was rocking the boards. such good times.

JediTricks
02-01-2009, 02:21 PM
It still logged me out. :mad:Try clearing your cookies for the site, they could have been corrupted. Firefox has a really easy to use cookie manager, you can find it in the Options under "Privacy". IE stores your cookies in the Temporary Internet Files, you can either delete all your cookies in the options menu, or if you want to delete only the SSG ones, view those files by going to the options menu and clicking "Settings" under Temporary Internet Files, then "view files". From there, you can sort all those files (it's a cache of all the images and files you view on the internet, plus cookies and such) by Internet Address, the cookies come up near the top and from there you can easily delete the specific cookie.

Wait... you mean I may not be a winner? But I already spent my winnings on 1980s-era Wheel of Fortune sculptures... :( ;)"Vanna White before she got old" statue should still net you a few bucks, unless it's the variant where she's turning the letter "J" instead of "B", that variant is worth a lot more. Remember when she used to actually do something on the show instead of just touch tv screens?

SSG can only die when the plug is pulled. regardless of how many people are visting. until the plug is pulled there will always be life here in what we post. Actually, even after the plug got pulled, the SSG gang kept on going over on SWcollecting until the plug got plugged back in. :thumbsup:

some of VT's posts are like trying to read the dead sea scrolls too. lolIndecipherable though some may be, they're never boring.

Jargo
02-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Actually, even after the plug got pulled, the SSG gang kept on going over on SWcollecting until the plug got plugged back in. :thumbsup:
Indecipherable though some may be, they're never boring.

I know I was there.

Boring is an entirely subjective notion.