PDA

View Full Version : Crash!

sith_killer_99
02-01-2009, 11:35 PM
Well, it happened, I finally caught some nasty bug and my system went down. I have spent the last few days posting from other computers, besides my main PC.

Today I did a system restore, ran backups, and went through the whole nut roll of getting my system back.

Much to my chagrin, I was only partially successful. I managed to get my OS reloaded and my D drive which housed all of my music is fine, but my main C drive lost a lot of data. To include software that will need to be reloaded.

I went through the process and all my data was sent to a backup drive (after the crash), but somewhere along the way something went wrong. When I tried to run the back up it didn't work correctly.

Major programs include:
Microsoft Office 2007
Vista Upgrade (Ultimate)

Plus dozens on lesser programs, iTunes, Firefox, FRAPS, Object Dock, uTorrent, Norton Internet Security, etc.

:upset:

It will take a long time to get everything back up. I have already loaded Firefox, which is the first program I put on any computer!:thumbsup:

Lord Malakite
02-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Well, it happened, I finally caught some nasty bug and my system went down.
It wasn't Virtomonde (aka Vundo) was it?

Jargo
02-02-2009, 03:47 PM
surely you should be trying to reboot from an earlier backup. before the crash? othwerwise you're just sending the same possibly corrupt files back to the system. ergo heading for a crash again. it's no good buying a plug after the boat has sunk as they say.

El Chuxter
02-02-2009, 03:51 PM
"Crash" is a good song by the New York Dolls, and a better one by Dave Matthews. Ponder that for a moment.

Qui-Long Gone
02-02-2009, 05:20 PM
But it was a way-overrated best Oscar film.

Darth Jax
02-02-2009, 05:32 PM
crash override

2-1B
02-02-2009, 07:41 PM
"Crash" is a good song by the New York Dolls, and a better one by Dave Matthews. Ponder that for a moment.

The crappy James Spader film of Crash was better than the DMB song. :silly:

Good luck with your recovery, SK. :(

sith_killer_99
02-02-2009, 07:48 PM
surely you should be trying to reboot from an earlier backup. before the crash? othwerwise you're just sending the same possibly corrupt files back to the system. ergo heading for a crash again. it's no good buying a plug after the boat has sunk as they say.

That was my firs step, attempting to restore from a previous back up. No luck.

I ended up with a fresh install.

El Chuxter
02-02-2009, 07:48 PM
I think going to college in VA re-wires something in your brain to like DMB even if you probably wouldn't otherwise.

Darth Jax
02-02-2009, 09:28 PM
I think going to college in VA re-wires something in your brain to like DMB even if you probably wouldn't otherwise.

i think it's college in general. thankfully i had already finished when he started, so i'm immune apparently.

2-1B
02-02-2009, 09:39 PM

We should do a retcon and put that into a backstory for Lando's Aide, thus explaining his lobotomy.