PDA

View Full Version : Any comprehensive list of who's "off-limits"?

El Chuxter
02-03-2009, 08:23 PM
This question from anotheR Site this week got me wondering (I've trimmed it down):

Rebelscum.com: What are the chances we'll see action figures based on...my personal favorite....Tyvokka the Wookiee?
Hasbro: As for Tyvokka, he remains one of the figures that is off limits to us and will not be produced.
Huh?

I know about the Tonnikas, due to the likeness issue. And the Holiday Special is supposedly completely off-limits, never mind that they've actually made two figures from it. (I've given up trying to figure out Hasbro's deal with the Holiday Special.)

This is the first I've heard of Tyvokka being off limits. I didn't even recognize the name and looked him up.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tyvokka

A Wookiee Jedi Master from a Dark Horse comic is off limits? Anyone have any clue why this might be? Can't be a rights issue, as there's no actor portraying him. And the series he's from (Republic) has given us a few figures already in comic packs, so it's not the series in general.

And are the any other characters who we may as well stop even thinking of because they're taboo?

2-1B
02-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Teek seems to be taboo, otherwise they would have made that delightful scamp by now.

Rik Duel
02-03-2009, 08:30 PM
Maybe they intend to flashback to the early days of Dooku or Qui-Gon on the cartoon and need to be free to contradict earlier stuff. (Since everybody already paid for it.)

El Chuxter
02-03-2009, 08:33 PM
At least they seem to just be hardheaded on Teek, Cae. It's always "no plans for now, but check out this awesome new Vader, this time with a jointed left ankle!" and never "Teek is off limits."

Mad Slanted Powers
02-03-2009, 08:45 PM
That is odd. I'm not familiar with the character, so I can't imagine why he would be off limits.

Darth Jax
02-03-2009, 09:07 PM
And are the any other characters who we may as well stop even thinking of because they're taboo?

pretty sure Slicker's mom is taboo to Hasbro.

Pat Shark
02-03-2009, 09:10 PM
It seems any EU stuff pre-1990 is off-limits or at least not likely to get produced. I'd love to see some Hoojibs packed in somewhere. They were prevalent in the read-a-long books and in some Marvel comics.
Throw in some power couplings for them to gnaw on for good measure.
Seeing as the've already released a few 80's Marvel characters, I don't see why they can't do Jaxxon. Hasbro have genaerally laughed any suggestions off. Something about him being not "Star Warsy" enough.
Anyone who has read the Space Usagi comics by Stan Sakai (Basically Usagi Yojimbo in space..Obviously) knows that there can never be enough space-faring rabbits.:yes:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-03-2009, 10:00 PM
I know that there was some discussion within LFL about Wookiee Jedi during the making of ROTS, and George nixed it, so there could just be regular Wookiees instead of Jedi ones during the battle. Maybe now there's a general "no Jedi Wookiees" rule? I don't know. That's all I've got.

As for other figures, I believe they've said they wouldn't do any dead figures, which means no funeral Padmé or crispy Owen and Beru. They have, though, done Maul and Jango figures that can "die," so who knows; maybe they were more action-oriented so they were fine. I'm pretty sure SSG asked them the question of who's taboo once, but their answer always seems to change whenever it comes up.

It seems any EU stuff pre-1990 is off-limits or at least not likely to get produced. I'd love to see some Hoojibs packed in somewhere. They were prevalent in the read-a-long books and in some Marvel comics.
Throw in some power couplings for them to gnaw on for good measure.
Seeing as the've already released a few 80's Marvel characters, I don't see why they can't do Jaxxon. Hasbro have genaerally laughed any suggestions off. Something about him being not "Star Warsy" enough.
Anyone who has read the Space Usagi comics by Stan Sakai (Basically Usagi Yojimbo in space..Obviously) knows that there can never be enough space-faring rabbits.
There's a comic pack coming out with three Ewoks from an old story from the 80's, so it's not completely off-limits. They also did the Tobbi Dala and Fenn Shysa comic packs. I believe, in the cases of the Mandalorians and the Ewoks, they were made since the characters appear elsewhere (and there seems to have been a trend recently to reintroduce old Marvel characters into newer EU, like Lumiya). They seem to not want to do Jaxxon due to the "joke" factor. But the fact that there's still nine years left on the license, I really do believe they'll get to him before the end.

Qui-Long Gone
02-03-2009, 10:09 PM
A well-done Luke (heck from any of the films) seems taboo. :pleased:

Is Sifodias taboo?

sith_killer_99
02-03-2009, 11:03 PM
pretty sure Slicker's mom is taboo to Hasbro.

Slicker's mom isn't "off limits" to anyone!:twisted:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-03-2009, 11:28 PM
A well-done Luke (heck from any of the films) seems taboo. :pleased:

Is Sifodias taboo?
Why would he be?

Obsession is Nute
02-04-2009, 12:25 AM
I heard George personally killed the Darth Plaugeis novel, claiming that he wanted "some mystery" left in the galaxy. Does this mean a Plaugeis figure would be off limits, too? I would not be suprised if this question has not been directly answered in the Q&A's, but I do not recall seeing it.

Slicker
02-04-2009, 02:41 AM
I heard George personally killed the Darth Plaugeis novel, claiming that he wanted "some mystery" left in the galaxy.
Could've fooled me since everybody and there brother has a backstory (and they've all been hunted by Boba Fett too. :rolleyes: )

Dark Marble
02-04-2009, 10:49 AM
At this point in the mythos hasn't it been proven that anyone can be a jedi. They pretty much lost me when they did a tusken raider jedi so why not a wookie Jedi? Or a jawa jedi? Or a droid jedi perhaps? What could be off limits that isn't based on likeness? Lucas owns star wars so it comes down to what he wants to see, but a wookie jedi to me is more believable than a tusken raider jedi...:tired:

Darth Jax
02-04-2009, 11:07 AM
At this point in the mythos hasn't it been proven that anyone can be a jedi. They pretty much lost me when they did a tusken raider jedi so why not a wookie Jedi? Or a jawa jedi? Or a droid jedi perhaps? What could be off limits that isn't based on likeness? Lucas owns star wars so it comes down to what he wants to see, but a wookie jedi to me is more believable than a tusken raider jedi...:tired:

didn't 4-LOM's tale in tales of bounty hunters, end with him joining the rebel's to study with Luke and become a jedi

DarkJedi5
02-04-2009, 11:51 AM

Jedi droid? I think this (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Skippy_the_Jedi_Droid) is as close as I ever want to see.

DarkArtist
02-04-2009, 12:30 PM
This question from anotheR Site this week got me wondering (I've trimmed it down):

Huh?

I know about the Tonnikas, due to the likeness issue. And the Holiday Special is supposedly completely off-limits, never mind that they've actually made two figures from it. (I've given up trying to figure out Hasbro's deal with the Holiday Special.)

This is the first I've heard of Tyvokka being off limits. I didn't even recognize the name and looked him up.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tyvokka

A Wookiee Jedi Master from a Dark Horse comic is off limits? Anyone have any clue why this might be? Can't be a rights issue, as there's no actor portraying him. And the series he's from (Republic) has given us a few figures already in comic packs, so it's not the series in general.

what 2 figures from the holiday special are you referring to ? I know of Boba Fett but drawing a blank on the second ?

Darth Jax
02-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Slicker's mom isn't "off limits" to anyone!:twisted:

there's a difference between immortalized in plastic and covered in rubber - haven't you seen the Naked Gun?

pbarnard
02-04-2009, 01:39 PM
At this point in the mythos hasn't it been proven that anyone can be a jedi. They pretty much lost me when they did a tusken raider jedi so why not a wookie Jedi? :tired:

They weren't Tuskens though, just humans who joined them in all three cases. Lowbacca, Young Jedi Knights/NJO/etc.

The only thing off limits is Yoda's species and doing anything with Mazzic and the Wraiths. Tim Zahn got ****ed over how Mara Jade was handled by a few people, along with the DH comic art of Mazzic and said "No mas" unless he gives his blessing, and Alston did similar with the Wraiths.

That's the guidelines I got.

El Chuxter
02-04-2009, 02:24 PM
what 2 figures from the holiday special are you referring to ? I know of Boba Fett but drawing a blank on the second ?
Zutton. He never appeared in ANH and was only in the Holiday Special.

DarkArtist
02-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Zutton. He never appeared in ANH and was only in the Holiday Special.

cool. didn't know that. i figured since he was one of the original Kenner figures from back in the day just redone that he was considered somewhat canon, another reshot at making snaggletooth.

Pat Shark
02-04-2009, 08:31 PM
You could also count Pons Limbic as a Holiday Special figure even though he does appear in ANH. He appears to be wearing that sexy long sleeved polo shirt with the diamonds on it in the Holiday Special :kiss:

2-1B
02-04-2009, 10:31 PM
Old School version of Sy Snootles

Pat Shark
02-04-2009, 10:52 PM
Damn they screwed up that scene in the Special Edition, I don't mind the extra band mates and the dancing girls so much but that old song was the chicken schnitzel

bigbarada
02-05-2009, 01:18 AM
Yarna dal' Gargan.... give it up, it'll never happen.

;)

Did they ever specifically say that animated figures based on the Droids and Ewoks cartoons are off limits? I would love to see cartoon versions of Wicket, Kaink, Paploo, Weechee and Chukha-Trok. I would love to see realistic versions of Kaink and Chukha-Trok while we're at it.

DarkJedi5
02-05-2009, 02:18 AM
Did they ever specifically say that animated figures based on the Droids and Ewoks cartoons are off limits? I would love to see cartoon versions of Wicket, Kaink, Paploo, Weechee and Chukha-Trok. I would love to see realistic versions of Kaink and Chukha-Trok while we're at it.

I feel like I just read a Q&A about that. I think they said it's not impossible but it's a ways off. And I don't think they said if it would be realistic or animated style.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-05-2009, 02:27 AM
I found this one from Imperial Shipyards (http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=192.msg2673#msg2673) in August:

Q: As I'm sure you are aware, there are a significant number of fans of the earlier Star Wars TV programs, such as the Holiday Special, Droids, Ewoks and the Ewok movies. Your response in various Q&A's has been that if any figures are ever to be made from these shows, that they would most likely have to be exclusives. That is very understandable, since the characters from these shows from the 70's and 80's may not be as familiar to younger collectors. Now if these could only work as exclusives, how about this for an idea: Make a 4 or 5 pack of figures, one figure from each of the above mentioned shows, possibly with the inclusion of the original Clone Wars, and sell them online at the Star Wars Shop. It could be like an 'Evolution of Star Wars on TV'. Maybe a collecting website (I know we would be more than happy to host such a poll!) or websites could run a poll for fans to select their top figure choices for each show. Sure, a set like this> wouldn't appeal to every single collector, but it would sure make each and every fan of these classic Star Wars shows very happy, plus it would be giving something to all of us nostalgic old-timers in one swoop! Please don't forget the fans of classic Star Wars TV!

A: Our mode of operation would favor multi-figure sets centered around a theme, and in this case the better approach would be to just do a multi-figure Droids or Ewoks set (we cannot approach the Holiday Special). Right now, there is nothing on the drawing board. We are interested in looking at these at some point, but we need to have the right retail partner, and the number of tools required remains a severe challenge to sets like this.

DarkJedi5
02-05-2009, 12:07 PM
This is the one I was thinking of, from Sandtroopers.com (http://www.sandtroopers.com/smf/index.php?topic=5183.msg227001#msg227001)'s most current round:

3) I'm just wondering if you plan on giving any consideration to expanded universe material from the pre-Thrawn trilogy era (70's & 80's) apart from the Marvel comics material. There is actually quite a bit to draw from such as the Holiday Special (which you have stated can't be touched), the Ewok movies, the Droids and Ewoks cartoons, novels such as Splinter of the Mind's Eye, the Han and Lando novels, and storybooks that originally included records like Planet of the Hoojibs and Droidworld. True, none of them have a lot of exposure today, but they would certainly be remembered by collectors that grew up in a time when these were some of the only sources of Star Wars fun apart from the OT. So what do you think? Is there any chance that figures based on some of these sources could ever be made, perhaps as chase figures, exclusives or some other type of release?

A) There is simply so much great Star Wars reference that we can't cover it all, so we try and hone in on the things that have the most pent-up-demand, or things which we feel tell a great story and can be executed within our tooling and cost constraints. Some of these - like the Ewoks and Droid series, which have seen DVD distribution - are definitely possible if we find the right format. This would most likely be as exclusive multi-figure packs. They are not high on our list given some of our other choices but remain possibilities as we look to flesh out our plans farther down the road. Splinter of the Minds Eye is likely in comic 2-pack form and was high on the list for 2010, but did not make the final cut. It is a strong possibility for 2011 if comic packs are still doing well. The rest of the sources you cite have much lower resonance and would not be under consideration.

Slicker
02-05-2009, 12:15 PM
I don't know if it's off limits or not but I wants me a Dengar in tuxedo from his wedding. :yes:

El Chuxter
02-05-2009, 01:15 PM
Only if it comes in a comic two-pack with Boba in tuxedo and Greedo's head in a jar.

tagmac
02-05-2009, 01:51 PM
I would have to think Mace, Noah (w/ glaases and Quaker oats box :D) and Cindel are also off-limits due to likeness issues. Ditto for Charal, although if you add in Terak, that's a few 2-packs right there they could make.

I'm guessing the hoojibs and Zeltrons are also off-limits, or maybe we'll finally get figures of Dani and a pack-in of Plif with Leia, perhaps.

Umbra
02-05-2009, 05:22 PM
While I'm afraid of have no available source on this, I distinctly recall Lucas essentially forbidding any more Wookie Jedi from being created. Three already have been created Kirlocca (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kirlocca) (RPG Books), Lowbacca (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lowbacca) (Young Jedi Knights), and Tyvokka (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tyvokka) (Clone Wars). (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Tyvokka)

My guess is somewhere in his mind, Lucas believes no Wookie Jedi should exist, so to discourage this further he probably is putting pressure on Hasbro to not make figures of them.

El Chuxter
02-05-2009, 05:52 PM
Wookiee Jedi are cooler than anything in the prequels, though. :(

2-1B
02-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Not cooler than Wookiee Senators, though.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-05-2009, 08:49 PM
Not cooler than Wookiee Senators, though.

They're politicians, and they're not to be trusted.

Darth Jax
02-05-2009, 10:17 PM
palpatine seems honorable enough

2-1B
02-05-2009, 10:19 PM
They're politicians, and they're not to be trusted.

or sculpted in plastic, it seems.

bigbarada
02-05-2009, 11:18 PM
For Hasbro's sake, I hope they haven't placed Chukha-Trok on their "off limits" list. Chukha would not be pleased.

Sinscia Fat'o
02-06-2009, 11:45 AM
Only if it comes in a comic two-pack with Boba in tuxedo and Greedo's head in a jar.

now this is a multipack i could get behind! Fett in wedding gear! Dengar needs a base that plays Green Day's the time of your life before he ties the knot...