PDA

View Full Version : Black History Month

Qui-Long Gone
02-03-2009, 10:46 PM
So, I grew up around a LOT of white people and consider myself very removed from black culture....

But, I have always been deeply moved when learning about the accomplishments of my darker brothers and sisters.

Props to the new President (although I can't say I voted for him) for bridging two cultures in one....though most of us would agree we've still many more bridges to build....

Who are some of the lesser known men and women of color we should be thinking about this month?

*I've always been moved by the Civil War story of the 54th Mass.

sith_killer_99
02-03-2009, 10:55 PM
Ohhhh...

This one is headed straight for the "Pit" I can see it now.:twisted:

Mad Slanted Powers
02-04-2009, 01:40 AM
Who are some of the lesser known men and women of color we should be thinking about this month?Those who struggle every day to make a better life for themselves and those they care about. The lyrics to Mr. T's "Treat Your Mother Right" define a hero no matter what color.

Just this weekend saw the second black head coach in three years to win a Super Bowl, and Michael Steele was recently elected chairman of the Republican National Committee.

Slicker
02-04-2009, 02:38 AM
I think Morgan Freeman said it best: "I don't want a black history month. Black history is American history."

DarthQuack
02-04-2009, 08:09 AM
I feel like I should read more about black history and broaden my knowledge.

El Chuxter
02-04-2009, 10:17 AM
Benjamin Banneker, one of the planners of Washington, DC. Funny how no one mentions him anymore. I first heard of him and his work a few months ago, and it was a major "holy crap!" moment.

Jargo
02-04-2009, 11:57 AM
http://www.blacknet.co.uk/history/politics.html

Snowtrooper
02-04-2009, 02:12 PM
Benjamin Banneker, one of the planners of Washington, DC. Funny how no one mentions him anymore. I first heard of him and his work a few months ago, and it was a major "holy crap!" moment.

Actually, they read about him a little in my daughters 3rd grade history class just not that long ago.

I was thinking of some of the first black congressman that were elected not long after the civil war and reconstruction. I can't remember their names right off, but you can be sure that it wasn't easy for them to be congressman so soon after the civil war.

El Chuxter
02-04-2009, 02:22 PM
Right afterward, it wasn't much of a problem, because the federal government aggressively defended voting rights for all, which in some states was a sizeable number of ex-slaves. It was beginning a few years later that they backslid something fierce and allowed states to set up "Jim Crow" laws that made it tougher.

Blue2th
02-04-2009, 04:00 PM
I have two little nieces that are little coco puffs. Half black half white. The cutest little things you ever did see. I'm kookoo for coco puffs. Hally Berry watch out!
They are being raised by their white mom, because their fathers are for whatever reason not around. Maybe because their families frown on it. (one's an intern at a hospital, so I know it's not economical reasons)
I hope when they grow up they subscribe to being just Americans as Slicker alluded to (yay Morgan Freeman) By that time race is not used as a crutch, all will be equal, the world will be colorblind, genderblind, sexual preference blind, religious blind.

Maybe by then we will all just be called humans with no strings attached.

Snowtrooper
02-04-2009, 07:30 PM
Right afterward, it wasn't much of a problem, because the federal government aggressively defended voting rights for all, which in some states was a sizeable number of ex-slaves. It was beginning a few years later that they backslid something fierce and allowed states to set up "Jim Crow" laws that made it tougher.

Your exactly right about that. But I was thinking more in terms of personal animosity from other senators and their constituents towards them because of the war and their race. Not that everybody treated them that way.

2-1B
02-04-2009, 10:15 PM
Flavor Flav, television legend.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-04-2009, 10:35 PM
Flavor Flav, television legend.

Don't believe the hype.

Tycho
02-11-2009, 03:44 PM
Captain Benjamin Sisko defeated The Dominion and brought peace to three quarters of our galaxy!

He was only half-black, too. His mother was possessed by an alien entity.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-11-2009, 06:41 PM
Captain Benjamin Sisko defeated The Dominion and brought peace to three quarters of our galaxy!

He was only half-black, too. His mother was possessed by an alien entity.

He was on Spenser For Hire too.

Blue2th
02-12-2009, 03:19 AM
Wasn't he on American History X as Benjamin Sisko, concerned teacher? :cheeky:

Jargo
02-12-2009, 11:11 AM
I'm black and I'm proud. C'mon say it with me, I'm black and I'm proud. Now louder, I'M BLACK AND I'M PROUD!

Now fix me a mojito beotch.

Qui-Long Gone
02-12-2009, 01:08 PM
I'm proud you're black!!!

I'm sort of low on mint this week.....

JON9000
02-12-2009, 01:29 PM
I remember having to do three reports on historical black americans in 11th grade. I picked MLK, X, and W.E.B. Dubois. How boring. If I had it to do again, I'd probably pick:

Jack Johnson (1st black heavyweight champ)- waaaaaaaaaaaaay before Jackie Robinson and truly terrifying to racists, which pretty much included everyone in the old ignorant days.

Marcus Garvey

Eldridge Cleaver

Much more interersting stories (we had to tell the class what we learned).

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-12-2009, 02:20 PM
In my Black Studies class, the professor (a white southerner, ironically) always gets started talking about something and then goes off on a tangent for the entire hour and I don't learn a damn thing. Oh well. We're currently reading a W.E.B. Du Bois book and it's pretty interesting.

This could have gotten more political but be thankful that it didn't. :D

Qui-Long Gone
02-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Everything is an excersise in the political my friend, everything.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-12-2009, 08:16 PM
I don't know much about him, but Adam Clayton Powell, Jr. came up recently in the situation involving Obama's senate replacement. I recall his name from the Public Enemy song "Show 'Em Whatcha Got."

Qui-Long Gone
02-16-2009, 07:28 PM
Adam Clayton

You should see my U2 thread :pleased: