PDA

View Full Version : Basketball 2008-09 Thread

Bel-Cam Jos
02-08-2009, 10:56 AM
I know that the NBA's a dead issue here, but I didn't notice any NCAA b-ball threads yet, and maybe your local high school teams's doing well. On a weekend where Pitt, OSU, and YSU all win, that's a good time. Brackets will be in the newspapers soon, too! :thumbsup:

JetsAndHeels
02-08-2009, 12:15 PM
Carolina vs. Duke in 3 days!!

Go Heels

DarthQuack
02-08-2009, 12:58 PM
Blah Syracuse has been playing like Slick's mom lately....pretty much on their backs.

Hoping my local teams, Siena and Albany make the tourney through their conference tournaments which are both in Albany this year so I can't wait to check it out in person :)

figrin bran
02-08-2009, 09:45 PM
I watch NBA games. Someone on the board has to, right?

NCAA wise, I'm not harboring great hopes for my Bruins this year.

JetsAndHeels
02-11-2009, 06:43 PM
Carolina vs. Duke in 3 days!!

Make that an hour and 17 minutes!!

Go Heels!!

JetsAndHeels
02-11-2009, 10:17 PM
Heels win, 101 to 87!!

Carolina wins 4 straight in the hellhole, err, I mean Duke's home floor!!

DarthQuack
02-12-2009, 06:12 AM
'Cuse loses yet again! UConn is tough along with half of the Big East....man.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-12-2009, 06:55 PM
Could the Elite Eight be all Big East squads this year? :rolleyes: UConn, Pitt, Louisville, Villanova, Marquette, Da 'Cuse, ND, and Georgetown have all been Top 25 teams at some point.

But of course, UNC, Wake, Duke, Michigan St., or OK will be around there, too.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-16-2009, 09:02 PM
Pitt beats its first #1 team! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

pbarnard
02-17-2009, 12:12 PM
Since the time is approaching, I always wonder if I should go see the Misouri Conference Tournament in St. Louis (being a Creighton Alum), or usually since the Big 10 or 12 tournament is occasionally close as well traveling to that for an opening set of games. Always enjoyable.

DarthQuack
02-17-2009, 12:32 PM
It's gonna be a fun month and a half....so many competitive conferences....and I love championship week. I love DVRing the WCC games at 11pm at night, it's fun watching St. Mary's and Santa Clara....the MVC is great to watch as well. :)

pbarnard
02-17-2009, 12:49 PM
the MVC is great to watch as well. :)

Yes, yes it is. Plus the number of times that Creighton paid for me to go (as a member of the band) than getting the call a couple of times because a member was going on the schools Spring Break service trip and could I play the sousaphone as a fill in as an alumni even more.

DarthQuack
02-17-2009, 12:52 PM
I've been thinking about getting a Creighton hat from Lids actually....this is the one I'm thinking about getting.

http://www.lids.com/pid/20116054

Bel-Cam Jos
02-17-2009, 07:36 PM
I've been waiting for a team I support to play an NCAA tourney game near here (San Diego, LA, Anaheim, etc.), since I'd only have Pac-10, MW, WAC, or WCC conference tournaments as possibilities normally (and actually most of those aren't "near" me in SoCal).

Bel-Cam Jos
03-13-2009, 06:58 PM
I'd like to think that Pitt "lost" its openign Big East game to rest up, but I don't know if that's legit. They should get no lower than a #2 seed. I hope Ohio St. can make it (need to beat Wisconsin today, of course) in the big dance tourney (rather than winning the NIT last year).

Bel-Cam Jos
03-14-2009, 09:35 AM
Well, OSU pulled it off, and is in the semis against the Big Ten's only "power" team (some are saying a conference title should earn MSU a #1), so I think even with a loss, they've got a decent shot now. My #1s?

Memphis (if they win today)
UNC
Louisville (if they win today)
Michigan St. (if they win tomorrow)

And the runners-up as #2s (which could fill in if the 1s fail to fulfill their duties)?
Pitt
UConn
Oklahoma
Missouri (if they win today) or Duke (if they win tomorrow)

Get those brackets ready on Monday!

DarthQuack
03-15-2009, 07:34 AM
I think the #1's will be

UNC
Louisville
Memphis
Pitt

Lots of upsets the last few days...Syracuse had a great run in the Big East tourney though, props to them.

This is my favorite day of the year, more than Superbowl Sunday.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-16-2009, 07:31 PM
Well, I picked the eight #1 and #2 seeds, just got the orders wrong. Can Pitt face Ohio State in the finals? Prolly not, but one can hope. I'll look over my brackets to give my Sweet 16, Final Four, upsets, etc.

DarthQuack
03-17-2009, 03:09 PM
Of course not, because Siena will unseat Ohio State ;)

Bel-Cam Jos
03-18-2009, 07:02 PM
Of course not, because Siena will unseat Ohio State ;)Can a #9 really "unseat" a #8, anyway? :D

Well, my bracket's ruined. RUINED! I had Alabama St. making it to the round of 64... :( ;)

But here's my breakdown:
MIDWEST
Sweet 16: Louisville, Wake Forest, Kansas, Michigan St.

EAST
Sweet 16: Pitt, Xavier (where Sean Miller gets to face his alma mater), Villanova, Texas

WEST
Sweet 16: UConn, Washington, Utah St., Memphis

SOUTH
Sweet 16: UNC, Gonzaga, Arizona St., Oklahoma

Final 4: Michigan St., Pitt, Washington, Oklahoma
... with Pitt beating Mich. St. for the title. :thumbsup:

No real upsets for me this year.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-21-2009, 04:14 PM
Can a #9 really "unseat" a #8, anyway? :D

But here's my breakdown:
MIDWEST
Sweet 16: Louisville, Wake Forest (OUT), Kansas, Michigan St.

EAST
Sweet 16: Pitt, Xavier, Villanova, Texas

WEST
Sweet 16: UConn, Washington, Utah St. (OUT), Memphis

SOUTH
Sweet 16: UNC, Gonzaga, Arizona St., Oklahoma

Final 4: Michigan St., Pitt, Washington, Oklahoma
... with Pitt beating Mich. St. for the title. :thumbsup:Apparently it is possible. :( Good season anyway, Buckeyes.

Still have 14 of the 16 left (only Wake & Utah St. out so far). Chose 21 of the 33 games in the first round (63.6%), which isn't too bad. Memphis and UConn look really strong.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-22-2009, 09:02 AM
Yesterday messed me up quite a bit: lost Final Four Washington and Elite Eight Texas.

Good luck, Panthers. Maul those Cowboys today!

Bel-Cam Jos
03-23-2009, 11:33 AM
People are getting down on Pitt because they aren't blowing teams out in the first two games, but I think that'll give them some toughness (to add to the amble supply they already own) once the rounds progress.

My second round? Picked 11 of the 16 games (68%), and still have 6 of the EE and 3 of the FF.

pbarnard
03-23-2009, 11:38 AM
People are getting down on Pitt because they aren't blowing teams out in the first two games, but I think that'll give them some toughness (to add to the amble supply they already own) once the rounds progress.

My second round? Picked 11 of the 16 games (68%), and still have 6 of the EE and 3 of the FF.

To me, doesn't matter if you win by 50 or if you in by 1. It matters what you consitently do. Pitt wins them close, so they're playing to their identity.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-29-2009, 09:30 AM
To me, doesn't matter if you win by 50 or if you in by 1. It matters what you consitently do. Pitt wins them close, so they're playing to their identity.As Qui-Gon once said, forlornly, "I wish that were so." :(

Great game, for 39:54, at least. Ugh. Free throws doomed Pitt, as well as the very inconsistent officiating for both teams (touch fouls called, but mugging or heavy contact doesn't?). Needless to say, my bracket and tournament enjoyment are now finished.

But here's my breakdown:
MIDWEST
Sweet 16: Louisville, Wake Forest (never in), Kansas (OUT), Michigan St.

EAST
Sweet 16: Pitt (now OUT), Xavier (OUT), Villanova, Texas (never in)

WEST
Sweet 16: UConn, Washington (OUT), Utah St. (never in), Memphis (OUT)

SOUTH
Sweet 16: UNC, Gonzaga (OUT), Arizona St. (never in), Oklahoma

Final 4: Michigan St., Pitt (OUT :sad: ), Washington (OUT), Oklahoma
... with Pitt beating Mich. St. for the title. :thumbsup: (IMPOSSIBLE NOW :cry: )

Bel-Cam Jos
04-05-2009, 09:19 AM
So, once people's teams were beaten, the interest died here, too? :sad: Or, did you bet heavily on them, and Manny the Knuckler sent a pal knocking and you were never seen from again? :eek:

Well, my bracket's officially done now, statisitically speaking. And here are said stats:

Total games correct: 39/64 (60.9%)
1st Round: 21/33 (63.6%)
2nd Round: 11/16 (68.8%)
Regionals: 5/8 (62.5%)
Nat'l Semis: 1/4 (25%)
Championship Game: 1/2 (50%)
Champ: 0/1 (0% :( )

I'll still watch Monday night (in between commercials during House, of course).

JetsAndHeels
04-05-2009, 12:34 PM
So, once people's teams were beaten, the interest died here, too? :sad:

No, I'm still interested. :)

Bel-Cam Jos
04-05-2009, 11:46 PM
No, I'm still interested. :)... uh, the Jets are in some other sport... :p

JetsAndHeels
04-06-2009, 09:20 AM
... uh, the Jets are in some other sport... :p

JetsAndHeels :)

Slicker
04-06-2009, 09:31 AM
JetsAndHeels :)buuuuurrrrnn!!1! Got him gud bich!!!

Let's go State!!!!!!!

Bel-Cam Jos
04-06-2009, 07:19 PM
Yes. I got getted good. I am going to need a skin graft to handle the burns I've received.

I'm hoping for a tie. Is Bud Selig going to be there? :p

Slicker
04-07-2009, 02:13 AM
I guess congrats to UNC. I really didn't expect MSU to get nearly this far so good on them as well.

JetsAndHeels
04-07-2009, 10:05 AM
I guess congrats to UNC. I really didn't expect MSU to get nearly this far so good on them as well.

Yep, congrats to MSU on a job well done this year.

Having said that, GO HEELS!!

Bel-Cam Jos
04-07-2009, 06:33 PM
So, it's all NBA, NBA D.League, European leagues, high school all-star games, and pick-up games talk now, right? :lipsrsealed: The WNBA starts up soon, too.

DarthQuack
05-09-2009, 09:44 AM
:cry: The Detroit Pistons say former coach
Chuck Daly is dead at age 78.
The team said Daly, who coached the United States to the 1992
Olympic gold medal after winning back-to-back NBA titles with the
Pistons, died Saturday morning in Florida.
The Pistons had announced in March 6 that the Hall of Fame coach
had been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and was undergoing
treatment.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-17-2009, 08:42 AM
Last year's NBA Finals teams are pushed to Game 7s in their repective Conference Semis series, both at home. Will they prevail? Highlights to come.

figrin bran
05-20-2009, 12:53 AM
Last year's NBA Finals teams are pushed to Game 7s in their repective Conference Semis series, both at home. Will they prevail? Highlights to come.

One will stand, one will fall! (haha)

So it looks like Blake Griffin will most likely be joining the Clippers.

DarthQuack
05-20-2009, 06:34 AM
Looking forward to checking out the Magic/Cavaliers series.

Bel-Cam Jos
05-20-2009, 11:01 PM
One will stand, one will fall! (haha)

So it looks like Blake Griffin will most likely be joining the Clippers.He'd fit in well. Good energy and hussle. Does "everybody" really want to see Kobe v. LeBron?

figrin bran
05-21-2009, 12:39 AM
The Magic pull off the upset in game 1!

I don't particularly want to see JJ Redick in the finals so I hope Orlando doesn't steal the series.

figrin bran
05-27-2009, 12:50 AM
Denver vs. Orlando could become a reality!

figrin bran
06-01-2009, 10:40 AM
Shaq despises Kobe. Yet he also despises Dwight Howard. He must be loving this Finals matchup!:p

Bel-Cam Jos
06-01-2009, 07:56 PM
And he played for both teams, in the Finals even. He'll just love seeing highlights and footage of him winning... in the past.

figrin bran
06-12-2009, 12:17 AM
I kind of like seeing JJ Redick out on the court...

It means he's shark bait and can be exploited defensively!

One more win and the trophy comes back to Los Angeles!

Bel-Cam Jos
06-15-2009, 10:50 AM
What is the draw to shoving cop cars, lighting clothing and paper on fire in order to JUMP OVER THAT FIRE, and slamdancing on concrete and pavement? Yay. Let me cheer on my team's victory by ending up in a jail cell, hospital bed, or lying in a gutter, hurt and disoriented!

Adam Morrison is now better than Charles Barkley, Patrick Ewing, Karl Malone, Reggie Miller, George Gervin, John Stockton, Elgin Baylor, and Steve Nash combined. But not as good as Wil Perdue.

figrin bran
06-15-2009, 10:58 AM
What is the draw to shoving cop cars, lighting clothing and paper on fire in order to JUMP OVER THAT FIRE, and slamdancing on concrete and pavement? Yay. Let me cheer on my team's victory by ending up in a jail cell, hospital bed, or lying in a gutter, hurt and disoriented!

Adam Morrison is now better than Charles Barkley, Patrick Ewing, Karl Malone, Reggie Miller, George Gervin, John Stockton, Elgin Baylor, and Steve Nash combined. But not as good as Wil Perdue.

You left out looting gas stations and thrashing a bus.