PDA

View Full Version : Thinning out my collection

Bosskman
02-08-2009, 02:50 PM
I am in the process of reducing the size of my SW figure collection. Most of my EU stuff will go, as will most "statue figures" like the AOTC Jedis and whatnot. Also, I got a feeling I might get rid of some duplicates as well. It's not the first time I've done this but I think this will be the biggest gouge in my collection since I got rid of 3/4 of my Hasbro 12". I hate thinking I wasted my money but I have to consider what I really like and what I don't. An unposeable statue of Bariss Offee is not a substitue for a Bariss Offee ACTION figure.

Dark Marble
02-09-2009, 11:04 AM
I think it depends what you are going to do with the figure. Recently I started the horrible process of organizing my collection and getting rid of stuff I don't want. The way I am going to stay into my collection is by just getting one of each figure from the main basic figure line.

For me that means no battle packs, comic packs, animated clone wars, live action TV series, and absolutely no army building! But I do want one of each figure starting with POTF2 and coming into the present. With the way I have been collecting I am fortunate because it means I am only missing about 15 figures.

But, I am not being picky with figure statues because all my figures do is stand. At one point I wanted to put some figures in vehicles but now I can't see putting an $8 to $10 figures out of sight. The all stand next to the vehicles now.

As for thinning out the collection, oh boy what a chore! What I thought might take me a Saturday afternoon took 2 months and several lists to get done. Good luck!!

Mad Slanted Powers
02-09-2009, 07:58 PM
I'm a one of every figure sort of person too, so I'd be unlikely to get rid of inferior older (or in some cases newer) sculpts just because I have a better version. It's nice to see the progression of the figures. However, in getting reissues and battle packs, I probably have a lot of duplicates of core characters that I might be willing to part with someday. Right now, space is beginning to become an issue, so vehicles are something I would like to be able to thin out. With the new BMF, I could probably do without my OTC Falcon. I probably don't need all the Jedi Starfighter repaints. I can probably get by with just having the Titanium versions. For now, though, I'm not ready to part with anything yet. I'll just try and focus on finding better ways to store and display things, as well as cleaning up some of my other messes to free up room as well. Every time I open a bunch of figures, I free up some space.

Qui-Long Gone
02-09-2009, 10:03 PM
We need to figure out a way where people can send me and my kids their figures when their collection gets thinned out.....

DarkJedi5
02-09-2009, 11:06 PM
Yeah, I'm not a dad yet but my "thinned" figures and vehicles go in a box so that when the kids want to play Star Wars they (hopefully) don't go after the items I have on display.

Obsession is Nute
02-09-2009, 11:58 PM
It will be a dark, dark day before I part with a single item of my collection. If that means the police have to knock down the door of my house to find my suffocated corpse among 1000 clone repaints and re-issued Vaders then so be it.

If I HAD to part with parts of my collection, I would try to find a child or charity to donate them to. If you are involved in a Church, they can be great networking places to see if someone in your congretation has a child who is a Star Wars fan. Just an idea!