PDA

View Full Version : Have to send the Wii into the shop...

pbarnard
02-09-2009, 02:41 PM
Well it seems like some Wii gamers are expierencing what X-Box gamers have been with their red circle. I'm now a vicitim of it too. The Wii just won't read a disc. Reading around the what I could find, games that read the disc heavily, all of my favorites are on that list, seem to induce this problem. Nintendo will accept it for repairs for $75, which is the equivalent of buying a service plan from them, and $10 shipping. They give an estimate for 7-10 days for it to be shipped back. I just got the label printed off and the directions on what to pack. They recomend backing up/saving everything into a Wii remote/memory card. It sounds like I'll be getting a whole new unit.

pbarnard
02-25-2009, 11:35 AM
The Wii returned last night. While I haven't tried anything, it no longer makes noises when spinning discs, it also didn't appear to lose any memory (but haven't fully checked out that). Nintendo even sent paper work on what was done (new motor/laser), instructions how to recover any lost data, resynchronizing of controllers etc.

Tycho
02-28-2009, 05:28 PM
That alarms me. I just bought a Wii less than a month ago and I'm enjoying it very much.

pbarnard
02-28-2009, 07:57 PM
It is a product of a few things, mostly the games we play/played, the amount of time we played it (my wife is a bit obsessive and can play for 3 hours, especially one course on MarioKart not to mention when she went to China The Force Unleashed came out and I played it at least a couple hours every night for a month), and just random as well.

We didn't lose any data at all, not even the console name on the network.