PDA

View Full Version : Any U2 Fans Out There?

Qui-Long Gone
02-12-2009, 07:49 PM
U2 will be on Letterman for an entire week. Are they planning to tour with this new album this summer? I missed the last tour but was able to see Elevation twice (once on Bono's birthday....).....

Darth Jax
02-12-2009, 09:05 PM
i thought we were gonna discuss spy planes.

but no, not much of a fan - although joshua tree is ok.

and i think there might be a U2 thread elsewhere already, but i'm too lazy to look right now.

bigbarada
02-12-2009, 10:53 PM
I love Joshua Tree (it's still one of my all-time favorite albums) and most everything else before that. However, I don't like much of their post-Joshua Tree stuff.

Achtung Baby! was alright, but I got tired of it quick.

dr_evazan22
02-12-2009, 11:11 PM
What week will they be on?

Blue2th
02-13-2009, 02:13 AM
Yup, U2 fan here. I'll be watching Letterman.

Man he sure was cruel to Joaquim the other night. That's showbiz.

JediTricks
02-14-2009, 04:17 PM
My sister and I listened to a lot of Joshua Tree as teenagers, had some very deep conversations to it, and now cannot listen to that album at all because of that. I do like U2 though, but I'm not sure I'm a "fan". They're on my "buy more of soon" list along with Prince and Van Halen, now that you mention it.

Qui-Long Gone
02-16-2009, 07:26 PM
What week will they be on?

March 2nd-6th.

DarthQuack
02-16-2009, 11:52 PM
I really want to see them in concert....never have....

Qui-Long Gone
02-17-2009, 02:18 PM
It's a great concert. They're the perfect live rock band in everyway (good and bad). In the Elevation tour they brought out the stage into the audience so people got really close to the band. In their Indy concert in 2000, we watched Bono stop security and let a totally drunk dude on stage with him during one of the sets (only to be hauled off by security moments later!). My friends told me that in Dallas they let another guy on stage with them and let him play one of the Edge's guitars (was it rehearsed?). Another buddy of mine saw them in Pittsburg and got to meet the band outside the stadium before the concert....they gave pictures and autos.....

I get tired of people saying U2 is full of themselves.....THEY'RE FREAKING ROCK STARS THAT'S WHAT ROCK STARS DO. They may have egos but are never shy with rubbing elbows with fans....WHICH IS WHAT KEEPS ROCK STARS ROCK STARS.

LusiferSam
03-02-2009, 10:02 PM
U2 as to be one of my favorite bands of all time. And of bands that are active, they are my top band. I still haven't seen them live yet. I came close in 2000 in Denver, but that show sold out super fast. And then again in Portland ('05 I think), but school got in the way. So this just might be the year.

Now I've done something I never thought I'd do. I pre-ordered the new album from i-Tunes. I really like the band, but ever since Pop I've been leery of new U2. I'm only lukewarm on the new single, Get on Your Boots, which exactly how I was with Pop. I guess I'll find out in a few hours just how good or bad this album is.

dr_evazan22
03-02-2009, 11:46 PM
Supposedly there will be concert announcements this week or next.

When Pop first came out I wasn't too fond of it. It grew on me especially after adding it to iTunes / MusicMatch jukebox. I can still do without the last 3rd of the CD, but love the rest of it! I think some of the remixes are better then the album versions, and really dig the DVD of the Mexico City concert.

I'm worried I won't care for this CD too much, but will definitley see them when they come thru Philly.

dr_evazan22
03-04-2009, 12:15 AM
Set the DVR to record Letterman last night. It finally gets to the end when U2 is on, and it cuts off about midway thru because the show went over an hour :frustrated:. I was kinda diggin' the song too. I uploaded the new CD to iTunes but haven't listened to it yet.

Arite Lange on with Dave tonight. Just saw him in concert a week or two ago (Artie and Jim Norton. Norton was funny as poo).

LusiferSam
03-05-2009, 02:37 AM
Ok I've listened to new album a couple of times now. It's good album, but not great. More on the level of the Unforgettable Fire in my opinion. I was under the impression it was going to be like moving from the Joshua Tree to Achtung Baby, but it's not that big a change. "Get On Your Boots" is very unlike the rest of the album. I find it a very odd chose as a first single, other than I think it sounds the most palatable for club remixes.

I really like the songs "Magnificent" and "Stand Up Comedy." Either of which would have made better first single in my opinion. "Moment of Surrender," "Breathe" and the title track "No Line on the Horizon" are also really good songs. "White as Snow" is very haunting. I don't like "I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight" and my lukewarm on "Get On Your Boots" and "Fez Being Born." Latter starts dumb, but ends strong. "Unknown Caller" and "Cedars of Lebanon" I'm not sure where I'd place them. Maybe under good, but not great.

If your a U2 fan take listen. Over all its a fair album. It's no Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby (but how fair a comparison is that?), but it's nowhere close to Pop or Zooropa either.

dr_evazan22
03-05-2009, 10:03 AM
"Get On Your Boots" is very unlike the rest of the album. I find it a very odd chose as a first single, other than I think it sounds the most palatable for club remixes.

Ever since Rattle and Hum it seems like the 1st singe has been up tempo, with the exception being Zooropa.

R+H - Desire
Achtung - The Fly
Zooropa - Numb
Pop - Discoteque
ATYCLB - Beautiful Day
Atomic Bomb - Vertigo

Magnificent is an fav so far.

Blue2th
03-05-2009, 10:47 AM
I love U2. Back in the early days of playing in bands, I learned quite a few of their songs.

Now the band I'm in the singer absolutely hates them, and won't do any of their songs.
I think it's because he's a huge Motley Crue fan, and a while back Bono said something derogatory about all the poser (butt rock) bands.

All through that time right up to now who had the staying power though?
You don't see poser bands like that around anymore, but U2 is still on top.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-06-2009, 02:26 AM
I like War, and a couple years ago I finally got their first two albums. I don't think I'm too inclined to get any of their other albums. I also have "Elevation" from the Tomb Raider soundtrack. I believe it is different from the album version. I just purchased "Pride" and "Bullet the Blue Sky" from iTunes today. If I was to get an album, it might be Achtung Baby. I've not heard any of the newer ones in their entirety.

Blue2th
03-06-2009, 12:34 PM
If you are just looking for individual songs, some of my favorites:

"Hold me kiss me thrill me kill me" That's the song they used for the Batman Forever Sountrack.
Great song that stands on it's own (without Batman) I even have the 45 with comic book release.
Nice "Whammy Pedal" guitar effect by the Edge during the song. You can see him using it with his foot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBk6O172bYM

Another is "Who's gonna ride your wild horses"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA0krVJeszE

Both were hits to some degree.

Maradona
03-06-2009, 02:08 PM
I was at one point a HUGE fan. I have close to 100 concert recordings spanning from their early days through the late 90s. I have seen them in concert 10 times and even got a chance to watch them rehearse once. As is bound to happen at times, the feelings you have for some things change. Change in itself is neither negative nor positive. When Pop came out in 1997, I was disappointed. I like the lyrics of many of the tunes, but felt the music did not showcase the vast capacity of the players. I felt better about the albums from this decade, though I still feel their best work is behind them. This new one, I rank behind Pop at the bottom of the barrel of their work. Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree share the top.

Other than Magnificent on this new album, I cannot get into any track. For me, who has every song they have ever recorded and dozens that never saw print, the new ones just don't capture me the way the older material does.

Qui-Long Gone
03-23-2009, 02:11 PM
I really dig the new album....I'd say I like it better than their last three, but I agree you can't top Joshua or Actung....or Red Sky for that matter....

Can't wait for the tour this fall.

Devo
03-24-2009, 10:41 AM
I've listened to the new album maybe three times through and haven't felt compelled to go back to it. Mainly I've been looking up old concert footage on youtube playing their classic stuff.

Anyone see the mix of Stuck in a Moment and John mayers 'Waiting on the world to change'?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEApFkpH02Y

DarkArtist
03-24-2009, 02:43 PM
Huge U2 fan have all the albums including a couple of rare acoustic versions as well. haven't had a chance to get the new one but give it tim. hopeing to hear it on I-Tunes tonight.

got to see them a few times in concert

Devo
03-29-2009, 01:28 AM
Y'know I love U2 but to see some of the crap certain fans come out with, the wierdos the band attracts - just look U2 up in youtube and check out some of the comments! It can make for an almost embarrassing read.