PDA

View Full Version : Hasbro Force FX Lightsabers

Tycho
02-15-2009, 06:13 AM
I'm not sure where this thread is supposed to go now that Hasbro is making these.

But I'd not be Tycho if I didn't cheer finally getting my TPM / AOTC Obi-Wan Kenobi FX lightsaber - my favorite lightsaber of the entire saga. I promise to always keep that thing by my side as much as possible! This will forever be the lightsaber you may see me carrying at conventions, movies, or anywhere else you might take a lightsaber.

I will be fast, accurate, and deadly with this thing! Seriously, after years spent in a black belt program, I know how to handle swords - but this is a lightsaber that I can grip and handle correctly without any interference from its design. When I get this thing, I'll want to hit every one of you with it! WHACK! Defend yourself!!!

I'm going to go nuts with this thing!

I think Dooku's saber looks great too. A definite purchase (I deliberately don't own every FX lightsaber made - I saw no point to that. But now I'm finally getting (actually 2 of) the ones I always wanted.

Dooku's saber's grip might prove very practical as well, but I'm all about a blue saber and that means Kenobi's!!! (Plus he's my favorite SW character now).

DarkJedi5
02-15-2009, 12:45 PM
Yeah, the Dooku one is very impressive. MR never seemed to want to tackle that one despite being one of the most distinctive lightsabers in a Star Wars film.

DarthQuack
02-15-2009, 12:49 PM
I can't wait for the Dooku saber....I've been waiting on that one for a while. lol

DarkJedi5
02-15-2009, 01:02 PM
Yeah, I thought all I wanted was the Vader and Luke (ANH) sabers until I saw that one.

JEDIpartner
02-16-2009, 11:48 AM
I'm am unnaturally geeked about the Obi-Wan TPM sabre!!!!

TheDarthVader
02-16-2009, 12:18 PM
Are there pictures of the Kenobi saber? I have only seen pictures of the Dooku saber.

I am planning on getting both of these.

DarkJedi5
02-16-2009, 12:32 PM
Here (http://www.rebelscum.com/TF2009/Hasbropanel/image27.asp) ya go.

TheDarthVader
02-16-2009, 01:15 PM
Thanks Dark Jedi.

That saber looks kick ***!!

Ando
02-16-2009, 02:53 PM
My brother in law has always wanted the Dooku saber, but I'm all about the TPM/AotC Obi Wan Kenobi saber.

Ever since TPM came out, I have wanted that saber (whether it was a toy or a F/X collectible type), so I am really excited and it will be a neat addition to my collection (courtesy of my awesome wife).

I currently have:

- Dart Vader

- RotS Obi Wan Kenobi

- Yoda

- Luke/Anakin Skywalker

- The M/R Lightsaber Constuction Kit

Tycho
02-16-2009, 11:04 PM
I have:

ROTS Darth Vader
ROTS Anakin Skywalker
ROTJ Luke Skywalker
TPM Darth Maul

I think the Obi-Wan saber might be TPM and Dooku's could be AOTC. That's just the labeling on the boxes, as Obi-Wan's saber was the same in AOTC and Dooku's in ROTS.

I think I'll be done with my FX Saber collection after I buy these 2, but Qui-Gon's might be awfully tempting.

Snowtrooper
02-16-2009, 11:15 PM
I've gotten Darth Vader & Anakin sabers. I think I'll try to nab the Dooku saber. The only other one I want is a ROTS Obi-Wan saber, and thats only if the hilt looks proper.

Tycho
02-17-2009, 02:48 AM
Master Replicas made the ROTS Obi-Wan saber. Hasbro is likely to just re-release it with their name on it, like they plan to do with the other sabers MR made previously.

Ando
02-17-2009, 09:38 AM
You know the funny thing about those Hasbro sabers, speaking of putting their name on them...

My wife bought me the Luke/Anakin saber (not sure which one) before Christmas 2008, and the screw cap that holds the batteries in is dated 2007 and says Hasbro and Lucasfilm on it.

Snowtrooper
02-17-2009, 01:59 PM
Master Replicas made the ROTS Obi-Wan saber. Hasbro is likely to just re-release it with their name on it, like they plan to do with the other sabers MR made previously.

I guess I'm kinda hoping they will remake it at some point so the hilt looks exactly like it does in the movies. I think I remember MR saying they were unable to do that since the hilt is pretty thin at certain points. Hopefully they can overcome that down the road.

JediTricks
02-17-2009, 08:35 PM
Since these have always fallen under Prop Replicas before, I'm going to move the thread to that department, and add "Hasbro" to the title.

So, we're all agreed then, Tycho is going to wickedly hurt himself with this new saber? ;)

Here (http://www.rebelscum.com/TF2009/Hasbropanel/image27.asp) ya go.Ok, what the heck? Not only do we have that same set of images on our site, but Steve also took live photos of the sabers as well: http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showgallery.php?cat=5806

Looks like the Dooku design required the whole thing be upscaled slightly. I don't mind, I am glad to see they overcame the anchoring problem that was holding them back.

I want both these sabers.

I guess I'm kinda hoping they will remake it at some point so the hilt looks exactly like it does in the movies. I think I remember MR saying they were unable to do that since the hilt is pretty thin at certain points. Hopefully they can overcome that down the road.They are right, the "neck" of the Obi-Wan ROTS saber, the ANH saber, and Luke's ROTJ saber is all based on the same design which is meant to hold a simple dowel, narrower and lighter than a saber blade, and it went all the way down into the body. Unfortunately, the blade on an FX version is wider than that, so either it cannot go through the body which makes the neck very weak and the blade poorly anchored, or they go with a wider neck like they have. (My fav saber is the Luke ROTJ saber, so I feel your pain.)

Tycho
02-17-2009, 09:35 PM
I like the Luke ROTJ saber as well. But I'm satisfied with the final product.

JediTricks
02-17-2009, 09:42 PM
I'm still torn on the Luke ROTJ saber (I got the mk 2 version with the recycled sounds but LED blade). On the one hand, it's the saber I love most. On the other hand, it's way mutilated compared to the original. On the third hand (it's Star Wars), if the sounds were right I'd at least be able to point to that.

Ando
02-18-2009, 09:44 AM
I still have yet to get the Luke RotJ saber, but I have an Obi Wan which is very similar and even though it's not movie accurate due to the handle size/scale issue, it's probably my most favorite.

Any word on whether or not Hasbro will get to re-releasing the Mace Windu saber? I missed out on that one when M/R had the license.

I am also excited about the Ahsoka Tano saber. My wife wants that one for herself and seeing that she's bought 5 for me, it's the least I can do to buy her one for herself.

Tycho
02-18-2009, 10:15 AM
I tried out handling the Mace Windu saber at Master Replicas during Comic Con one year. It's seems to be the heaviest saber hilt (if you don't count using a Darth Maul single blade with the connection piece still on). It also uses the most batteries - as I think they made that one carry 6 AA's. I think most of my MR sabers operate on only 2 or 3.

Mace's saber might be great for some of you to collect, but it felt heavy and cumbersome to fight with.

Obi-Wan's TPM and Dooku's AOTC sabers will probably wind up being the very best of the entire line because their actual movie prop design is so well done. These are warriors' weapons!

And you know, if they're doing Ahsoka's, by making Asajj Ventresses double blades that can connect, they could offer the best saber option with double Dooku-style hilts and Darth Maul's versitality all-in-one. I'm not a big fan of Ventress, but her sabers are sweet. However, I'll be buying Dooku's and I already have Maul's. That reminds me - using one of Maul's single blades handles very well in a fight too. My preference right now is Luke's ROTJ saber (out of what I already have).

Ando
02-18-2009, 10:29 AM
My brother in law has the Mace Windu saber and it is definitely a heavier saber and does in fact take 6 AA batteries vs 3 for all/most of the others (the Yoda saber and the Build Your Own take 3 AAA's).

Also, I know it's not the most age appropriate gift, but I found a Yoda saber at Brian's Toys last fall on sale for $65.00 and we gave it to our 3 1/2 year old nephew for Christmas and he LOVES it!

Tycho
02-18-2009, 10:41 AM
3.5 or 35 years old - it's an honest mistake. Some times the decimal point is hard to see. :D

I mean there are some people who see me playing with my Force FX lightsabers and think that I'm 3.5 years old, too. :yes:

Ando
02-18-2009, 10:47 AM
My brother in law (sister's husband) and I are turning him into a SW fan like us. His favorite movie is Empire just like his dad and me.

DarkJedi5
02-19-2009, 05:38 PM
Ok, what the heck? Not only do we have that same set of images on our site, but Steve also took live photos of the sabers as well: http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showgallery.php?cat=5806

Sorry, JT, I was once (emphatically) told that by posting a link on a message board it created some sort of place holder that caused the original page (the one the link lead back to) to respond slower and that it could even crash the rest of the site. I know it sounds a little silly but I had people coming after me for doing it on one of the marvel boards. Instead of harming SSG I thought I was striking a blow for freedom! Guess not.:sad:

JediTricks
02-19-2009, 07:41 PM
I tried out handling the Mace Windu saber at Master Replicas during Comic Con one year. It's seems to be the heaviest saber hilt (if you don't count using a Darth Maul single blade with the connection piece still on). It also uses the most batteries - as I think they made that one carry 6 AA's. I think most of my MR sabers operate on only 2 or 3.All the first and second generation MR FX sabers use 6 AAs, only the 3rd generation sabers (Anakin ROTS and Vader ESB) that they switched to the smaller 3-AA system, and then I think it was the Yoda saber that kicked off the 3 AAA version. Mace's came out before ROTS.

Mace's saber might be great for some of you to collect, but it felt heavy and cumbersome to fight with.It's a fairly minor difference, a few ounces, I don't know what to tell you. I actually found the Mace saber pretty easy to wield when I first encountered it at Suncoast.

Sorry, JT, I was once (emphatically) told that by posting a link on a message board it created some sort of place holder that caused the original page (the one the link lead back to) to respond slower and that it could even crash the rest of the site. I know it sounds a little silly but I had people coming after me for doing it on one of the marvel boards. Instead of harming SSG I thought I was striking a blow for freedom! Guess not.:sad:Ok, well that's a weird one. Their board might be sending linkbacks or something, ours isn't so it's all good, post 'em!

DarthQuack
04-15-2009, 10:17 AM
When are these slated to come out, anyone know?

JediTricks
04-15-2009, 03:02 PM
I think late summer, but Hasbro's answers in Q&A about these over the past few months has suggested that they're getting pushed back. I'm super annoyed that they're hanging this line on the inability of reissues to sell through.

Tycho
04-15-2009, 08:07 PM
I'm super annoyed that they're hanging this line on the inability of reissues to sell through.

True enough. However, it is a smart strategy: to sell what you already have the molds and parts to. However, I support JT in that it's annoying, and not necessarily a good strategy to HANG the line's success on whether re-issues sell. If they keep the re-issues on the market as new first-time collectors respond to Obi-Wan's TPM saber, as well as Dooku's, then those new collectors might purchase the Vader and Anakin sabers, too.

Us Master Replicas veterans won't have as much need for the re-issues ourselves. But Luke's ROTJ saber and Obi-Wan's ROTS saber didn't see as wide of release, I think. Those might be smart re-issues there. Obi-Wan's might sell, again because of Clone Wars. But who's that Luke guy anyway?

So, with Clone Wars raging - and I've seen a lot more kids going for SW toys NOW - they might sell those Anakin sabers if TRU or even Wal-Mart and Target are recruited to carry them. Young kids are probably less apt to go to Spencer's or Radio Shack, or wherever else those sabers might be marketed.

LTBasker
04-15-2009, 10:45 PM
I'm actually quite interested in the Hasbro re-issues as I haven't picked up any of the f/x sabers yet. A major concern I have, however, is that the quality won't be comparable to MR's quality, so I'm quite torn as to whether I should support Hasbro's versions, or hunt down MR's copies.

Tycho
04-16-2009, 12:19 AM
They are the exact same product. Hasbro took over the ordering from the assembly factory where MR was ordering the sabers in the first place. They purchased the rights to handle this technology.

I know this almost for certain.

LTBasker
04-16-2009, 12:29 AM
Oh, ok. I assumed Hasbro simply took the plans and would be creating them in their own factories. Less worries then, thanks. :D

Ando
04-16-2009, 10:06 AM
[quote=Tycho;674159]They are the exact same product. Hasbro took over the ordering from the assembly factory where MR was ordering the sabers in the first place. They purchased the rights to handle this technology.[quote]

That's what I concluded as well. I bought a MR Anakin/Luke saber from TRU last summer that I ended up returning due to MASSIVE dead spots.

This last Christmas, my wife got me the Anakin/Luke saber off HTS (but with Hasbro labeling) and it is the same saber and stand.

JediTricks
04-16-2009, 01:07 PM
True enough. However, it is a smart strategy: to sell what you already have the molds and parts to. However, I support JT in that it's annoying, and not necessarily a good strategy to HANG the line's success on whether re-issues sell. If they keep the re-issues on the market as new first-time collectors respond to Obi-Wan's TPM saber, as well as Dooku's, then those new collectors might purchase the Vader and Anakin sabers, too. Hasbro overproduced after MR overproduced, there is too much stock on items we already had access to, so it's a depressed market. This is an expensive specialty item and they are treating it like it's an impulse buy, that is a poor business model. They have put no money into the tooling, so the only costs are materials and shelfspace, both of which are not likely to see returns if the market is flooded with product not in demand.

Us Master Replicas veterans won't have as much need for the re-issues ourselves. But Luke's ROTJ saber and Obi-Wan's ROTS saber didn't see as wide of release, I think. Those might be smart re-issues there. Obi-Wan's might sell, again because of Clone Wars. But who's that Luke guy anyway? Both of those sabers disappoint due to their inability to match what's on-screen, it'd be foolish to go back to them. Obi-Wan's saber had a long initial run after ROTS and sold fairly. And Luke's has had 3 runs, it's time to retire it and work on a new version.

So, with Clone Wars raging - and I've seen a lot more kids going for SW toys NOW - they might sell those Anakin sabers if TRU or even Wal-Mart and Target are recruited to carry them. Young kids are probably less apt to go to Spencer's or Radio Shack, or wherever else those sabers might be marketed.They're also less apt to have a spare $100.

They are the exact same product. Hasbro took over the ordering from the assembly factory where MR was ordering the sabers in the first place. They purchased the rights to handle this technology.

I know this almost for certain.Tycho is correct that the same factory that made them for Master Replicas is who is making them for Hasbro.

He's wrong that Hasbro purchased the rights for this though, they were awarded to Hasbro from Lucasfilm.

That's what I concluded as well. I bought a MR Anakin/Luke saber from TRU last summer that I ended up returning due to MASSIVE dead spots.

This last Christmas, my wife got me the Anakin/Luke saber off HTS (but with Hasbro labeling) and it is the same saber and stand.This has always been a problem with the LED blades, sometimes you just get a bum build, it was a problem with MR and it'll be a problem with Hasbro.

Ando
04-16-2009, 04:33 PM
This is an expensive specialty item and they are treating it like it's an impulse buy, that is a poor business model.

EXACTLY.

I have a bad feeling that this property will be mismanaged for as long as they have the license.

JediTricks
04-17-2009, 05:56 PM
Yeah, I pointed that out in a new Q&A question I put in the current round for voting. On one hand, I appreciate Hasbro willing to keep SW alive. On the other, I'm sick of how they mismanage everything not tied to 3.75".

Tycho
04-17-2009, 07:36 PM
What are you talking about? Weren't the 7" Unleashed figures such a huge success such that I am adding Lando and Qui-Gon Jinn to my collection today? :rolleyes:

JediTricks
04-18-2009, 05:55 PM
What are you talking about? Weren't the 7" Unleashed figures such a huge success such that I am adding Lando and Qui-Gon Jinn to my collection today? :rolleyes:
Aw snap, that's a good point, I totally forgot about Unleashed.

Jayspawn
04-20-2009, 11:17 AM
Saw Hasbro's new Vader FX at TRU a few days ago. For anyone wondering -its the exact same model as the previous MR version. Same price too of $119.99

DarkJedi5
08-15-2009, 06:00 PM
Just tossing this question out there but is there a difference between Anakin's ROTS lightsaber and Luke's ESB lightsaber? I mean, I know there are differences between the props but is there a difference between the FX versions. I saw some one on Amazon had bought them both and said they were the same but I figure a fellow SSGer would be able to notice subtle differences that the average person might not catch. I'm going to buy one and I'd rather have Luke's but since it's been out of production longer it's more expensive and tougher to find so I wanted to know if Anakin's was the same.

Tycho
08-15-2009, 06:07 PM
I saw your post but cannot answer your question. I have the ROTS Anakin version. I've never handled Luke's (as packaged AS Luke's).

JediTricks
08-19-2009, 09:12 PM
Just tossing this question out there but is there a difference between Anakin's ROTS lightsaber and Luke's ESB lightsaber? I mean, I know there are differences between the props but is there a difference between the FX versions. I saw some one on Amazon had bought them both and said they were the same but I figure a fellow SSGer would be able to notice subtle differences that the average person might not catch. I'm going to buy one and I'd rather have Luke's but since it's been out of production longer it's more expensive and tougher to find so I wanted to know if Anakin's was the same.Yes, the FX sabers match the props, which are very different. Size, emitter, emitter clamps, ejector buttons, activator box band, activator box, activator plate, grips, grip screws, and belt attachment (D-ring vs swivel button), those are all different between them. Heck, even the ANH Luke and ESB Luke sabers are widely different in the details.

Tycho
08-20-2009, 01:35 AM
Let's help Tycho figure out his lightsabers:

what is (are):

the emitter?

the emitter clamps?

the ejector buttons?

the activator box band?

the activator box?

the activator plate?

JediTricks
08-20-2009, 01:35 PM
Go learn about lightsabers and then you'll know.

DarthBrandon
08-20-2009, 02:16 PM
I currently have the Luke ROTJ green lightsaber.

I would like to have Dooku's, a full length Darth Maul saber, Yoda's & Mace Windu's.

JediTricks
08-20-2009, 03:00 PM
You have the green one with the LED blades, or the original one with the EL paper?

All those are out, except for Dooku which is coming in a few months.

DarthBrandon
08-20-2009, 06:39 PM
You have the green one with the LED blades, or the original one with the EL paper?

All those are out, except for Dooku which is coming in a few months.

It's the LED one by Master Replica's, I think it went for around $179.99.

JediTricks
08-20-2009, 08:41 PM
Canadian or American? Back then it made a bigger difference, as I bought that one for $100 USD. It's a nice saber, but they didn't use the correct sound effects, and I feel they could do the hilt better (the ROTJ Obi-Wan is a similar shape but looks nicer) so I hope they do it again, it's my favorite saber in the films.

Tycho
08-21-2009, 01:13 AM
My favorite saber that I own is also the Luke ROTJ green lightsaber.

However it will be the Obi-Wan TPM blue lightsaber whenever I can finally purchase one.

DarthBrandon
08-21-2009, 11:23 AM
Canadian or American? Back then it made a bigger difference, as I bought that one for $100 USD. It's a nice saber, but they didn't use the correct sound effects, and I feel they could do the hilt better (the ROTJ Obi-Wan is a similar shape but looks nicer) so I hope they do it again, it's my favorite saber in the films.

It was $179. Canadian.

The sound effects in mine work & sound just right, I'm not sure what you mean by that. I'm pretty sure it's LED but I could be wrong, it was a Sears exclusive here. Right now it's in a box awaiting the move into the new house on the 31st of this month.

I will take pics of it when I get moved & you can tell me of any differences.

DarthQuack
08-21-2009, 11:35 AM
Can't wait for Dooku!!

Tycho
08-21-2009, 12:09 PM
He's Coo-Koo for Dooku! :crazed:

JediTricks
09-02-2009, 01:20 PM
The sound effects in mine work & sound just right, I'm not sure what you mean by that. I'm pretty sure it's LED but I could be wrong, it was a Sears exclusive here. Right now it's in a box awaiting the move into the new house on the 31st of this month.The sound effects in the Luke ROTJ LED saber use the sounds from the ESB saber which are fine for general lightsaber sounds, but totally inaccurate to the ROTJ saber sound effects. They did the same thing with Maul's saber, it has the ANH Vader sound effects instead of the ones used in TPM.

I will take pics of it when I get moved & you can tell me of any differences.The only visual difference will be the blade, and it'll be easier to see when it's active. The EL paper blades don't ladder-up (they just blink a few times and are on) and are very dim when lit, not really green but more of a green-blue, it's the same stuff as Indiglo watch lighting.

Tycho
09-29-2009, 04:05 AM
I have now received, opened, and activated Dooku's and Obi-Wan's TPM lightsabers!

I purchased them SUPPORTING SIRSTEVESGUIDE.COM using the link from the news article on SSG's homepage to buy them from Brian's Toys - at a very reasonable cost: $119 each - exactly what Toys R Us and other retailers (Master Replicas as well) sold them for.

I received them 4 days after I ordered them!!!

Dooku's is cool, but heavy and harder to wield. If you're a baseball player, it's like swinging the bat with the doughnut on. I'm not sure it could handle rough play, either, as there are parts to it that are fastened by screws and it utilizes multiple pieces to get that curved handle shape.

Obi-Wan's TPM Saber - my most-wanted Force FX piece of all time, is every bit as awesome as I envisioned it! I love that thing and am so fast with it already. It's perfect for practicing martial arts sword forms!

If you could own only ONE Force F/X lightsaber - THIS IS THE ONE!!!

I told you so. :D

Jayspawn
09-29-2009, 09:47 AM
Glad you're happy with the new Obi FX saber Tycho. I've been campaigning for the Dooku FX for years so I think I'm obligated to buy it because. I didnt expect that they would pull of its construction without it being heavy. If only I could test-spar with it.

DarthQuack
09-29-2009, 10:10 AM
Where's a good place to purchase said Dooku saber.....?

Tycho
09-29-2009, 10:36 AM
Where's a good place to purchase said Dooku saber.....?

Here - and make sure you note SirStevesGuide.com anywhere you have an opportunity. Their sponsorship supports us having this website along with SirSteve paying for it. (http://www.sirstevesguide.com/index.php?categoryid=13&p2_articleid=2413) - Show your appreciation.

The price is the same in retailers: $119.99 per lightsaber - just like it was with Master Replicas. It's the same company that MR subcontracted with to produce these and they are very good quality.

JediTricks
12-30-2009, 01:00 AM
SON OF A *****!!! Crashed browser killed my long, detailed review. Bottom line is I got the TPM Obi-Wan FX saber, it's good, but has a little more Hasbro to it.

The majority is metal, thinner than MR but shinier like this needs to be (and not chrome, thankfully!), including the pommel and emitter rings (painted black, there's a small chip around the emitter on mine), but the grip is plastic and feels like a point of failure if used heavily. The activation knob is also on a plastic post which is thin and feels like it'd also be a point of failure under heavy use, it slides instead of rotates. The emitter meets the blade with a black plastic collar which is in 2 halves, gathers crud easily, and doesn't look as nice as the metal beveled emitters from the MR line. The copyright text completely encircles the emitter metal, but I was able to scratch it all off with my fingernail in only a few minutes. Hasbro as a toy company went with toy regulations about the batteries, locking them down with a screw, but they did this internally so it doesn't hurt the look, what they did is create a thin outer sleeve around the electronics that screws down, you don't need to put it back on, I chose to put it back on but leave it unscrewed which works too. Packaging is roughly identical to the MR days, except the instructions which have that Hasbro cheapness to them, they need to address that for $120 a pop.

The details are nearly perfect aside from the aforementioned issues. The red knurled activation button, although not a rotational like the Maul, is still metal and anodized or powder-coated for its color. The brass knob is knurled and has a small plastic purple round faux-crystal inside. The bezels near the top have flat white semi-translucent faux-LEDs just like the real one. The pommel has real metal cubes with their little holes, and even the belt-button uses a hex-screw rather than the phillips-head screws MR used for their belt-buttons. And it's the perfect size. The only thing that isn't very accurate is a small pin around the middle which anchors the blade, and it doesn't look "wrong", just not super-nitpicker accurate.

In terms of handling, aside from my concerns about the few plastic bits, it's quite good. This is my first 3-cell FX saber, and also my first AAA-battery saber, so I wasn't expecting it to be so much lighter. The slight reduction in diameter from the older ones is noticeable, Obi-Wan's TPM saber is one of the smaller hilts in the saga though. The balance point is right at the emitter face, this is technically the most accurate way a sword should be, but I've always liked the MR balance point being a little further back just before the emitter (the Maul saber's balance is above the emitter about an inch up the blade). It's felt good under light in-house moves, but I suspect it'll be pretty easy to accidentally shut off too. The blade is standard, no change from the MR days except my Luke ESB's blue is sliiiiightly yellower than this version, the Hasbro blade has the same random small dark spots as the MR blades and tiny debris. Sounds are the same "jedi" saber sounds, it's been a while since I saw TPM, I remember Obi-Wan's saber there having a brighter, brasher sound than this, but this is ok. I preferred the days when each saber had its own unique sounds though. The blade brilliance is on-par with the MR blades, but the sound is slightly lower than my previous 5 sabers. Motion and crash sensors are about the same as ever.

Overall, this is a pretty good saber. The new higher price makes the lighter feel and a few of the little plastic design choices harder to accept, but in general this is a very welcome entry. It's not my choice for best saber, but it'd be in the top tier, and I'm really glad they made this one.

Tycho
12-30-2009, 10:20 AM
I'm really glad they made Obi-Wan's TPM saber myself. I was pining for it and I knew it would be my favorite, and it is.

The sabers NEVER had different sound effects so far as I could tell:

The Jedi sabers seem to use Luke's ESB sound effects mostly, I think.

The Sith sabers seem to take those sounds and use less of them, which makes their sound effects much less fulfilling.

I wished that more sound effects went into the sabers, but I'd campaign for most of them to be from ESB - which had some of the finest sound-effects for the sabers of any of the movies. I'm referring to the Bespin duel of course.

Both Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker had a few different ignition effects, shut-off effects, and hums and battle clash sounds in that film.

I think TPM recycles some of them from ESB anyway because they were so good.

The lightsabers didn't have specific effects relating to their construction, but rather to the story line.

Vader's is evil like a wicked knife being unsheathed.

When Luke first walks up the steps to confront Vader in the Cloud City freezing chamber, he is ANGRY because of what Vader has done to Leia, Chewie, and Han Solo. The snap-hiss of Luke's saber is thus very angry. I love that sound. It would really work for a Sith lightsaber, too.

Later when Luke notices Vader in the atmosphere control room (where he's later thrown out the window), Vader's saber is already ignited. When Luke powers up, this is the ignition sound used for all or most FX lightsabers. I believe in TPM, when Obi-Wan is still behind the energy shields, Ben Burt uses this sound. I like it being included, but other FX sabers could use other power-up sounds.

That angry snap-hiss should be standard on Sith sabers, and maybe the one used for the Anakin / Luke ESB blades.

Anyway, what we're getting back to here is honoring an Oscar-Award winning sound effects guy (Ben Burt) and his signature Star Wars sounds should be included with the toys without a question. Besides the lightsabers, an electronic TIE fighter fly-by noise and rattlesnake laser cannon bank should be essential by now! (for the vehicle line, obviously).

JediTricks
12-30-2009, 05:49 PM
You're missing quite a lot about the sounds, Tycho. The Luke ESB has different sounds from the other Jedi models, the Vader ANH has different sounds from the other Sith models, about half the sabers have different hum pitches from the others. MR paid attention to this for the first few sabers, then just went generic for the second half of the line.

All of the Sith sounds have the same number of swings, I think, but only 1 crash because they claim that's what is in the supplied Ben Burtt sound files from LFL. This appears to be true of ANH, but not ROTJ - but since they just modified the ANH Vader sounds for their generic Sith sounds afterwards, they all only have 1 crash.

The worst is the ROTJ Luke saber sounds, which are all dead wrong from ignition to shutoff.

There is a group of FX hobbyists - retoolers and builders - who have poured over the movies and have created their own FX sabers with more crashes, hums, and even various little things like sparks and flashes. Hasbro needs to take a page from their book and add more sounds, as well as a button to strobe and flash the blades. Check out the work on this one, including the videos: http://www.fx-sabers.com/pics.html

DarthQuack
02-17-2011, 01:02 PM
Where is the best place to shop for these? I still want to get the Dooku, and 2 Asajj sabers.

DarkJedi5
02-17-2011, 07:49 PM
Where is the best place to shop for these? I still want to get the Dooku, and 2 Asajj sabers.

Hasbro Toy shop is pretty good (especially if you can find a discount code), sometimes Amazon has good deals, and thinkgeek.com carries a few at a fair price as well. About two years ago I was even able to get a pair at Walmart for $50 each but that was a one-time limited offer right before the holidays.