PDA

View Full Version : Dollhouse

OC47150
02-16-2009, 01:32 PM
Did anyone watch?

I thought it wasn't too bad, but it was too celebral for today's audience, especially the Fox audience. It makes the viewer think a little too much, like Christian Slater's My Own Worst Enemy.

Lord Malakite
02-17-2009, 01:01 AM
I thought it wasn't too bad, but it was too celebral for today's audience, especially the Fox audience. It makes the viewer think a little too much, like Christian Slater's My Own Worst Enemy.
Apparently so. I think what you meant to say was that it was too cerebral. :D

I caught it the other night, but I wasn't all that impressed with it so far. It brings up a lot of good moral and ethical questions to think about and has potential of being a decent show, but I think the whole Playboy Mansion/Charlie's Angels "sex appeal" angle thing they have going on with it kind of undermines the overall premise of the show.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-17-2009, 01:11 AM
Did anyone watch?

I thought it wasn't too bad, but it was too celebral for today's audience, especially the Fox audience. It makes the viewer think a little too much, like Christian Slater's My Own Worst Enemy.I watched. I enjoyed My Own Worst Enemy. I don't think that show made you think anymore than a lot of other shows, other than trying to figure out which personality he was at the time. I was more confused by some aspects of this show though, but perhaps it will make sense more as we go on. I guess my question is are these people aware of what is happening to them? If not, what do they think the treatments are for?

figrin bran
02-17-2009, 02:16 AM
I watched it and feel that it's a very promising series. At the risk of betraying a Whedon bias, the first episodes of Buffy, Angel and Firefly weren't that stellar.

Kidhuman
02-17-2009, 05:20 AM
I agree, never judge the first episode. It sets up plot lines and can be boring. 2nd ep. is where it should start getting better.

I thought it was alright

sith_killer_99
02-17-2009, 09:12 AM
It makes the viewer think a little too much, like Christian Slater's My Own Worst Enemy.

Why on earth would you compare this show to "My Own Worst Enemy"? These shows have nothing in common, they are completely different!!!:crazed:

On the up side this show has something MOWE never had....
Eliza Dushku!

All hail the hot one!:yes:

I'm just happy to see her on the big screen again...and by big screen I mean my big screen HDTV!:love:

Rocketboy
02-17-2009, 11:08 AM
At the risk of betraying a Whedon bias, the first episode of...Firefly weren't that stellar.What? You're nuts! Whedon had the the characters, structure and tone of the show nailed from the very beginning.

figrin bran
02-17-2009, 12:15 PM
What? You're nuts! Whedon had the the characters, structure and tone of the show nailed from the very beginning.

I know he always has the characters, structure and tone nailed down from the beginning. It's just that all of that takes a few episodes to ripen!

Mad Slanted Powers
02-17-2009, 06:26 PM
Part of the problem with Firefly was that they didn't air the first episode first.

Rocketboy
02-17-2009, 11:37 PM
Part of the problem with Firefly was that they didn't air the first episode first.But that was the b***holes at Fox's fault.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-18-2009, 01:05 AM
But that was the b***holes at Fox's fault.

Yes, that is what I meant by "they".

OC47150
03-02-2009, 10:10 PM
Good ep. I liked it better than the first one and about on the same level as the second. Hopefully, the quality of the scripts can keep up.

JEDIpartner
03-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Last week was the first time I felt like this show was getting anywhere... unfortunately, it was just for a the moment where Echo and Titicaca (can't recall what her name is) exchanged glances in the Dollhouse and Echo signaled her a "no".

Unless they allow these characters a greater range to open up through the course of the season, I'm not really going to care one iota about ANY of them!

Tycho
03-07-2009, 02:36 AM
Eliza Dushku's alright. I like the way they dress her up all sexy.

However, Summer Glau (Terminator) and Kristin Kruek (Smallville) have her beat.

I'm not really going to watch Doll House, but when they advertise with girls in skimpy clothing, I'll probably tune in. That kind of thing always works on me.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-07-2009, 03:14 AM

I'm not really going to watch Doll House, but when they advertise with girls in skimpy clothing, I'll probably tune in. That kind of thing always works on me.
I've never really liked Kristin's look, though I thought she looked better when she returned to Smallville. She looked different. A lot of it was the hair I think.

Eliza looks good, but she has that raspy voice.

I've liked Summer in Firefly, The 4400 and this show, but she's played a mentally imbalanced character in all of them. It would be interesting to see her in a role as a regular person.

figrin bran
03-07-2009, 03:23 AM
Echo suffering the remote mind wipe was a good twist in an otherwise average episode. Things should start picking up now that they're on the hunt for Alpha.

The one thing I don't ever want to see in this series again are boxing scenes with Agent Ballard because those of us who watch BSG have seen Helo in enough of them.

sith_killer_99
03-07-2009, 12:58 PM

You can not be serious. lol

Eliza is way hotter than Summer and Kristin...IMO.

Dichen Lachman is pretty hot as well, she plays Sierra.

Phantom-like Menace
03-10-2009, 03:02 AM
I'm still watching this show, but it's missing something for me. I think it's the clever dialogue we get in so much of Whedon's stuff.

You can not be serious. lol

Eliza is way hotter than Summer and Kristin...IMO.

Dichen Lachman is pretty hot as well, she plays Sierra.

Eliza Dushku is certainly attractive. Her eyes are a little sunken and dark, but they usually fix that with makeup and she looks incredible. Kristen Kreuk was more attractive in the past. I don't know, maybe she had more weight to her, a fuller face. Dichen Lachman has one of those looks that I'd want to say is weird, but she was kind of cute with the nerdy look in the previous episode with the glasses. They're all attractive enough though.

figrin bran
03-10-2009, 03:18 AM
I'm still watching this show, but it's missing something for me. I think it's the clever dialogue we get in so much of Whedon's stuff.

So "did I fall asleep" isn't working for you? :p I'm sure we'll hear more of the Whedonesque dialogue as the series starts to hit its stride. There's some really good one liners in the Buffy comics so it's not as if he suddenly lost that ability.

And the order should be

Kristin K.
Eliza
Summer

btw, I think Ms. Glau was in this CBS sitcom tonight so that might've been the one chance to see her in a "normal" role.

Phantom-like Menace
03-11-2009, 07:07 AM
So "did I fall asleep" isn't working for you? :p I'm sure we'll hear more of the Whedonesque dialogue as the series starts to hit its stride. There's some really good one liners in the Buffy comics so it's not as if he suddenly lost that ability.

Granted. I've been following the comic. Between that, Angel, and IDW's G.I. Joe, I've actually got a folder at a comic book shop for the first time in my life. Not having read comics, I find them vaguely hard to follow sometimes.

And the order should be

Kristin K.
Eliza
Summer

I can't argue with that too much. I'd probably reverse the first two more often than not, though.

DarkArtist
03-11-2009, 10:56 AM
i have to say I'm a fan...I'm hooked can't wait to see what develops for the character as the series progresses.

JEDIpartner
03-11-2009, 10:57 AM
The one thing I don't ever want to see in this series again are boxing scenes with Agent Ballard because those of us who watch BSG have seen Helo in enough of them.

LOL!!!! HEY!! You "breeders" get Echo and little Titicaca-what's-her-name in skimpy clothing all the time! Let us queers and the girls have a bone sometimes!! Wait... that came out wrong. :crazed:

OC47150
03-13-2009, 12:56 PM
I'm running a tad behind: I just watched last week's ep this morning. But I have to say, I think it's my favorite so far, even better than the woods ep.

I liked the idea of Echo erasing in the middle of the mission. However, I wished they hadn't figured out the cause as quickly. I would've liked to have seen the weather (electrical storm, etc...) initially looked at.

The new Asian scientist with Topher was on NCIS.

Phantom-like Menace
03-15-2009, 12:27 PM
I don't want to make too many comments about the most recent episode, since it dealt with religious topics that I shouldn't touch, but I thought it was pretty cool. There were a few moments I had to laugh at. "Man reaction" and Topher's reactions were funny. They're really piling on the instances of Echo and the dolls being more aware in their doll state than they are supposed to be.

The new Asian scientist with Topher was on NCIS.

Did she have the obnoxious nose ring in NCIS? I'm not a fan of even small nose rings, but that one was just honking to the point it changed the shape of her nose. She was cute otherwise.

sith_killer_99
03-15-2009, 12:40 PM
I'm starting to wonder if Victor and Sierra have a history, prior to becoming dolls.:confused:

Mad Slanted Powers
03-15-2009, 01:51 PM
Who is the Asian scientist? The gal that's all cut in the face by alpha doesn't look Asian. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Acker

Phantom-like Menace
03-15-2009, 05:02 PM
Who is the Asian scientist? The gal that's all cut in the face by alpha doesn't look Asian. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Acker

We're talking about the girl Topher is discussing the remote wipe of Echo with.

OC47150
03-19-2009, 04:50 PM
With the last two eps, I think Dollhouse is starting to hit its stride. But I will say, the 'did I fall asleep?' line is getting a little old and overused.

I have to wonder if Ballard's neighbor is more than just infatuated with him, or spying on him too? :shocked: And why did Ballard settle for potato chips when he had a homemade pasta dish brought to him at work?? Helo, what are you thinking???

The Asian scientist has only appeared in one ep, so far.

Phantom-like Menace
03-27-2009, 05:18 PM
Well, good call on the neighbor. I really didn't see that coming.

Otherwise, this most recent episode was terrific. There were so many good things going on that I can hardly name them all. First, and most welcome, we got a lot of the humor Whedon brings to the table. I laughed as much as I laughed in many of the episodes of Buffy. Patton Oswalt was amusing even as a slime. The fight between Echo and Ballard was brutal. He kicks serious ***. And the two big plot moments, the message to Ballard, and his little neighbor activating and kicking the **** out of the rogue handler, too awesome. If more episodes could be like this one, this show would be a solid, indesputable favorite.

Kidhuman
03-27-2009, 07:01 PM
I loved the last epsiode. Finally watched it last night. I tought Ballard was calling Millie. Kind of glad she didnt die.

The Echo/Ballrad fight was great. I wonder who the inside guy is. I will rule out Mr. Dominic.

figrin bran
03-28-2009, 01:05 AM
Tonight's episode seemed like a step backwards from last week's superb one.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-28-2009, 01:23 AM
I don't know. It seemed pretty good. We learned more of Echo's backstory and also a bit more about the Dollhouse itself. Next week's preview looked interesting.

Phantom-like Menace
03-30-2009, 01:57 AM
This most recent episode wasn't as good as last week's, but last week's set a pretty damned high bar. This week's wasn't too bad. Extra points for the outfit Echo was wearing.

As for the "inside man" we learned about last week, I'm thinking the doctor, Amy Acker's character. It's seemed to me since the beginning that there is something significant about her character, more than what we've seen so far. I don't have enough of a theory to decide if I think if she's working with Alpha, possibly allowing herself to be scarred to deflect suspicion, or if she's working separate from Alpha.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-30-2009, 02:04 AM
This most recent episode wasn't as good as last week's, but last week's set a pretty damned high bar. This week's wasn't too bad. Extra points for the outfit Echo was wearing.I think it looked like the outfit in the opening theme (which was about 12 minutes into the show this time). At least the shoes and stockings looked the same as that one clip in the intro.

Phantom-like Menace
03-30-2009, 04:50 PM
I think it looked like the outfit in the opening theme (which was about 12 minutes into the show this time). At least the shoes and stockings looked the same as that one clip in the intro.

I'm pretty sure that it was. I've kind of been waiting for that one.:love:

OC47150
04-03-2009, 08:18 PM
Just got around to watching last week's show. It was a so-so episode. Echo's background story was interesting but the chemical on campus storyline didn't feel like it was completely thought out. In case I missed it, it was never said if the drug was airborne. (I know, I'm nitpicking.)

I really enjoyed the parts with Topher and the head lady being infected back at the Dollhouse. Made for interesting viewing.

figrin bran
04-04-2009, 01:23 AM
Great episode tonight! :thumbsup:

"next one goes where your heart should've been" was my favorite line

There was even more evidence to confirm PLM's "Amy Acker's character (Dr. Saunders is her name, I believe) = inside man/woman" theory. We know now she was friends with Echo/Caroline in the past. However, floating out suggestions like having the "priority" actives go on self discovery time to find "closure" sure isn't a way to keep one's cover.

JEDIpartner
04-06-2009, 10:32 AM
I'm done with this. I think Joss Whedon has blown his load on being able to create. This last episode was a mess. It SHOULD have been a good episode, but all of the terrible acting and directing choices really took the wind out of its sails.

The actors were acting like they'd all had brain wipes. None of the revelations they were experiencing had any emotional impact. "I know what happened to my baby... zzzzzzzzz..." You'd think that the memory of that would've come rushing back and would've shocked her into a highly emotional state. No. Not this group.

My partner is a Joss fan and even HE thinks this has been a colossal let down. It's off the DVR list. Sad, sad, sad...

sith_killer_99
04-06-2009, 12:59 PM
My partner is a Joss fan and even HE thinks this has been a colossal let down. It's off the DVR list. Sad, sad, sad...

Even sader, good shows like TSCC are being canceled, while this will likely get at least one more season, probably more.:cry:

Phantom-like Menace
04-06-2009, 02:37 PM
I'm done with this. I think Joss Whedon has blown his load on being able to create. This last episode was a mess. It SHOULD have been a good episode, but all of the terrible acting and directing choices really took the wind out of its sails.

The actors were acting like they'd all had brain wipes. None of the revelations they were experiencing had any emotional impact. "I know what happened to my baby... zzzzzzzzz..." You'd think that the memory of that would've come rushing back and would've shocked her into a highly emotional state. No. Not this group.

Even sader, good shows like TSCC are being canceled, while this will likely get at least one more season, probably more.:cry:

The most recent episode wasn't even close to the worst episode, so I'm not sure why it would be the last straw. We talk and talk about how networks should give shows like this more time to develop, but then we abandon them even more quickly than the networks. Otherwise, Dollhouse almost certainly won't get a second season, and even if it got a second season will still be only as much as TSCC got, so maybe that'll put your minds at ease.

sith_killer_99
04-07-2009, 02:40 AM
We talk and talk about how networks should give shows like this more time to develop, but then we abandon them even more quickly than the networks.

For me a show has to be about more than just cool sci-fi out side the box kinda stuff. I have to be able to connect to the characters and I need to see character development. Something that is hard to do when the character changes from week to week. Sure we are getting bits a pieces here and there but it's not really enough to hold it all together IMO. The only real connection and character development has been with Langton. The Victor/Sierra thing has a little promise, but there just isn't much more going on beyond that.

Just my 2 cents.

JEDIpartner
04-07-2009, 10:20 AM
The most recent episode wasn't even close to the worst episode, so I'm not sure why it would be the last straw. We talk and talk about how networks should give shows like this more time to develop, but then we abandon them even more quickly than the networks. Otherwise, Dollhouse almost certainly won't get a second season, and even if it got a second season will still be only as much as TSCC got, so maybe that'll put your minds at ease.

The reason I cannot give this anymore time is that these actors are just not engaging. Tamoh Penikett, Eliza Dushku and a few of the other principles and recurring characters are just not strong actors and THEY are the problem. Unless you recast these roles with stronger actors, this show isn't going to get any better. The stories and the concepts are fine. The execution, due to the lack of acting chops, is what's causing me not to care about this show so quickly. Various sources are already showing that this programme is unlikely to get a renewal based off of the dwindling numbers.

Phantom-like Menace
04-11-2009, 12:42 PM
It sounds like the concept is the problem for you. When characters change each week the actors have nothing to attach them to the role. They can't invest in who these characters are anymore than you can, because they change each week.

We're already getting significant traits for each of the characters that carry over episode to episode, because it's plainly clear we need that. The writers know that as well as we do, and they are heading in that direction. The problem is, the basic nature of the show precludes these traits from coming out immediately. If we had these characters acting with individuality right from the get go, it would have violated the notion of who they are, simple-minded blank slates. I imagine the show intends to question that notion, ask just how much individuality can be suppressed. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to get an answer to that speculation.

So it seems like they are addressing your concerns, and doing so at least as quickly as the premise allows. Honestly, I think they're doing it too quickly, possibly in anticipation of not being given the proverbial snowball's chance.

sith_killer_99
04-11-2009, 03:11 PM
It sounds like the concept is the problem for you. When characters change each week the actors have nothing to attach them to the role. They can't invest in who these characters are anymore than you can, because they change each week.

I disagree, there are still a LOT of characters to develop, agent Ballard, Langston, Topher, Ms. DeWitt, etc.

Dollhouse is a solid show for what it is, don't get me wrong, I don't hate it, but it's a long way from TSCC.

On a side note, first episodes usually give me a feel for how the show will run. Shows that have good character development tend to drop you into the middle of their lives. This was the case with Heroes. Other shows open up with some kind of beginning and work on developing characters after the fact.

Take Heroes, you are introduced to characters like Nikki, her boyfriend is already in jail, she is being chased by the mob, etc. They could have been like....

This is Nikki. Nikki is an internet girl. This is her son. This is Nikki's boyfriend. Ooops, Nikki's boyfriend just got arrested. Nikki has to take out a loan from the mob.

Instead, they bypassed all of that and boom, you were in the middle of it all trying to figure it out, as time goes by you learn about the back story. It's an excellent story device, and very telling about how the show will deal with character development.

Just my 2 cents.

Tycho
04-13-2009, 06:37 PM
Dollhouse is a solid show for what it is, don't get me wrong, I don't hate it, but it's a long way from TSCC.

You got that right. I don't even watch it, but I like the pretty girls they show in the previews.

OC47150
04-13-2009, 06:57 PM
Interesting episode. I'm glad we finally saw what it's like to go to the attic.

Sith Killer is right: there are a lot of characters that could be further developed, and a lot of different stories to be told. And there's the underlining who is Echo conspiracy storyline.

OC47150
04-13-2009, 07:11 PM
This doesn't sound good.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/13821/-dollhouse-wraps-up-an-episode-early/

Phantom-like Menace
04-14-2009, 02:56 AM
I'm not really looking at the 13th episode situation as being indication that the show has been canceled. It makes sense that Fox ordered 13 episodes, and the original unaired pilot was part of that 13 episode order.

Otherwise, for other reasons, I figure it's canceled until I hear something different.

Phantom-like Menace
04-17-2009, 01:55 AM
There were some interesting things going on in the most recent episode.

DeWitt's contracting Victor was surprising, kind of kinky. I guess Echo isn't her favorite after all . . . though, I've just inadvertently caused my mind to wander:whip:.

I felt pretty bad for Ballard when November delivered the message. Poor guy. I wonder if that will make him even more obsessed with taking down the houses. I can't buy Dominic as the only mole. November's message was pointedly apologetic about breaking the news to Ballard that his neighbor was an active, but Dominic was callous on the complete opposite end of the spectrum even when he had no reason to be playing a role.

And we get more of Echo showing individuality. If DeWitt wasn't championing Echo's cause before, I'm sure she is now. I'm not sure what I think about Echo getting a new handler, though.

Kidhuman
04-18-2009, 10:13 AM
I think it will make it interseting with a new handler.

OC47150
04-27-2009, 12:00 PM
DH was pre-empted in my area for a special event. The station didn't broadcast when or if it was airing it.

Sunday night I stumbled across it at 11:20. Don't know how much I missed in the first 20 minutes, but the last 40 were okay. Topher seemed to be having a good time with Sierra.

Kidhuman
04-29-2009, 10:43 AM
It was a good episode. You missed the rela person dying and then it cut to credits, then Topher implanted Echo with her thoughts and then asked Echos old handler(cant recall his name) for a person to test stuff on. I would assume it was his birthday(once a year thing) and all. Didnt miss much at all.

figrin bran
05-04-2009, 01:54 AM
Last Friday's episode wasn't bad at all.

I bought so much into Alan Tudyk's stoner act that I didn't figure out he was Alpha until he grabbed Dr. Saunders by the throat.

OC47150
05-05-2009, 08:07 PM
Steve the Pirate is Alpha!!! I didn't see that twist coming.

Everyone farts. What a great line.

The actor who plays Ballard (I'm not gonna attempt to spell his name) has the same stride he used in Galactica.

OC47150
05-10-2009, 09:15 PM
It was a great episode until the last few minutes. Ballard becoming a possible contract employee for the Dollhouse? Alpha still on the run? Ughhhh!!! If the show doesn't come back, then it was a very unsatisfying conclusion.

Amy Akers character being a Doll, then turned into the doctor: nice twist.

I'd really like to see the 13th episode, just to see what's different. Guess I'll have to wait until the DVD is out.

figrin bran
05-11-2009, 02:14 AM
I felt the same way about the unsatisfying conclusion.

Hopefully it comes back again! It's not like Fox has a ton of quality shows.

Devo
05-11-2009, 10:10 AM
Its sad but I just have a vigorous bias against this show. I used to like Buffy and Angel - I liked them all through their respective runs. I also liked Firefly. What changed? First my mum and then my G/F rewatched Buffy and Angel into the ground. My mum would watch buffy non stop all day from season 1 through to 7. Then she'd start Angel. Then when she finished season 5 she'd go back to Buffy, again all the way through and then on to Angel. The cycle repeated for a long time. She stopped doing it and then my G/F made me sit through it again. The damage is done - I hate Buffy and Angel. I hate the characters, I hate the dialogue, the humour, just about everything. And its had the unfortunate knock-on effect that I don't think I'll ever watch Firefly again nor have I given Dollhouse much of a chance. I'm anti-Whedon now and its not his fault. I used to like his stuff but now I can't stand his style of humour and his obsession with empowered female characters because it all just brings me back to the time of non-stop Buffy. I couldn't care less if Dollhouse gets canned.

sith_killer_99
05-11-2009, 12:51 PM
It's not like Fox has a ton of quality shows.

Who needs quality shows when you have American Idol.:rolleyes:

figrin bran
05-11-2009, 10:50 PM
Devo, with all due respect, it seems like your "vigorous bias" may have more to do with your projecting whatever it may be that you don't particularly like about your mum/GF onto the Whedonverse.

It wouldn't be unlike my father being a heavy smoker and me developing a hatred of cigarettes. None of us really want to think of ourselves as hating our family members so we can tend to latch onto some aspect about them and direct all our venom and vitriol towards that aspect.

Devo
05-11-2009, 11:03 PM
You sound like whatshisname..'Sweets' (?) from the other show that my mum and G/f watch non-stop - Bones. At present time I can still tolerate that show, even enjoy it. I wouldn't watch it specifically by myself only because I know I'm bound to catch every episode when either of those two *****es watch it! :D

But seriously Buffy and Angel are dead to me.

figrin bran
05-12-2009, 01:17 AM
Thanks, I guess? I suppose it would be pointless to get you to try Dr. Horrible's Sing Along?

I've only watched a few episodes of Bones btw.

Phantom-like Menace
05-12-2009, 12:37 PM
I don't even want to comment on how much I liked this episode. Just screw television and most of the people who watch it.

OC47150
05-12-2009, 08:33 PM
The finale was in the ratings basement.

http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/05/dollhouse-finale-ratings.html

Mad Slanted Powers
05-12-2009, 09:02 PM
I don't even want to comment on how much I liked this episode. Just screw television and most of the people who watch it.

I'm not sure if you are saying you liked it or hated.

Tycho
05-13-2009, 12:17 PM
5 more days and we find out whether Terminator is coming back. That's all I care about. But Eliza is good to look at during the commercials.

figrin bran
05-14-2009, 01:57 AM
5 more days and we find out whether Dollhouse is coming back. That's all I care about. But Summer is good to look at during the commercials.

Mad Slanted Powers
05-14-2009, 02:05 AM
How about an hour long show that's just commercials with those two talking about what's going to be on the next hour?

Phantom-like Menace
05-14-2009, 04:11 AM
I'm not sure if you are saying you liked it or hated.

Oh, I liked it. Ninety-five percent of television sucks and most of the remaining five percent is getting canceled, because ninety-nine percent of television viewers suck.

sith_killer_99
05-14-2009, 01:22 PM
How about an hour long show with those two talking about other hot chicks and interviewing them...in bikinis!:lipsrsealed:

figrin bran
05-14-2009, 11:36 PM
It just occured to me that the names of all the Dolls are culled from the NATO phonetic alphabet. In that case, we really need season 2 so that we can see Xray and Uniform!

sith_killer_99
05-15-2009, 01:13 PM
LOL

You just figured that out?!?!?

Here are a few moree good one to look out for...

Foxtrot
Golf
Hotel
Kilo
Lima
Quebec
Yankee
Zulu

Hmmm....:D

BTW, prior to 1957, Echo was known as Easy.

JEDIpartner
05-15-2009, 02:30 PM
I suppose it would be pointless to get you to try Dr. Horrible's Sing Along?

Dr. Horrible is classic Whedon. :thumbsup:

figrin bran
05-16-2009, 02:27 AM
Maybe Zulu could be the "big bad" for next season?

Oh btw, it looks as if it's going to be renewed! http://www.thrfeed.com/2009/05/dollhouse-second-season.html

Yes, sith killer, I just figured it out. :p I just figured Victor and Sierra and November were names. Only when I heard "Whiskey" did I start to piece it together.

Phantom-like Menace
05-16-2009, 12:08 PM
Holy ****ing ****! I might have to apologize to Fox?!? Again? (After they brought back Family Guy). I feel like maybe I should drop something to see which way it falls, up or down, because I get the feeling everything I know has just been reversed.

I'm not completely celebrating until I hear it Monday, but I'm crossing my fingers for Sarah Connor Chronicles now.

sith_killer_99
05-16-2009, 01:15 PM
^ If FOX save TSCC, then I will retract every bad thing I've ever said about them, except for all the reality TV stuff, I will never take that back, ever.:twisted:

Phantom-like Menace
05-18-2009, 06:51 PM
It's official:

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/entertainment_tv/2009/05/a-good-day-for-dolls-and-docs-dollhouse-scrubs-renewed.html

This is a rare opportunity in television in general and on Fox especially. In an environment where shows are canceled for not being immediate hits, on a network where shows are canceled with gleeful abandon, this show has been given a chance. Hardly anyone got this show for the first few episodes, but those of us who didn't immediately rush to judgment--even those of us who admit the first half of the season was pretty unimpressive (I went so far as to have accused Whedon of intentionally sabotaging the show so he could leave television and blame Fox)--have seen the show drastically improve all across the board. I can honestly say it's something I look forward to each week, and I'm ecstatic to be able to look forward to another season. I hope it doesn't waste this opportunity. It's gotten past the early problems any show has in establishing its concept and establishing its universe, so anything from here on out should be relatively simpler.

Given this decision and the second season given to the Sarah Connor Chronicles (despite its more recent, unfortunate cancellation), I'm curious if Fox isn't straight up trying to repair its image among increasingly angry genre fans who have largely (and rightfully) abandoned the network with giant middle fingers to the twits involved.

I hope the fans of Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles don't feel it was them against us (I consider myself a fan of both and really wish TSCC had been renewed for my enjoyment as well), and they don't demonize Dollhouse for getting a renewal when their show didn't. I also hope those who made a decision early on in Dollhouse's run might trust those of us who stayed on when we say that it gets far better, and there are only twelve episodes to check out to get up to speed.

So, I guess I'll comment on Omega, the twelfth episode that I didn't want to comment on earlier (spoliers of course). I'm going to cheat and just copy and paste my comments from my personal message board.
--------------------------------------
I think this show delivered again with episode 12. The episode was the second one to really feel like a Whedon project with all the trimmings.

Tudyk as Alpha (it's been brought to my attention the NATO phonetic alphabet would more correctly spell it as Alfa, but I don't really care.) had me dying, especially when his multiple personalities told Echo, "I'm not bluffing." "I'm not bluffing." "I'm bluffing." In the middle of such an exciting, suspenseful scene I'm trying not to laugh too hard to hear what happens next.

Caroline's reactions to Echo were awesome, equal parts funny and emotional, and how much of a badass was composite Echo? I loved her line about just being a front porch light. Rinse and spit was kind of weird, but again, I laughed/reacted only quickly enough not to miss what happened next.

No surprise that Whiskey was their most popular active. She'd edge out Dushku for me too. Even with the scars I find her attractive enough. Her reaction to discovering her being a doll was interesting, and the question of why Topher would design her personality to hate him would be interesting to explore. Guilt on his part? Also, she really wouldn't need computer skills, so I'd be curious to learn much more about Topher's thinking on designing Dr. Saunders.

Bit of a surprise that Ballard got November released and he signed on as an employee. In the immensely unlikely event the show comes back, would he be trying to work in the background to take down the Dollhouse still? Would he become Echo's handler?

So, I'm officially saying I like the show. We've gotten twelve episodes, half a season basically, and I've really liked two episodes and have fairly well liked an additional four or so [and here I should probably mention that some of the additional six I still liked if not didn't hate]--most of those in the ever improving second half of the season. That's honestly about as well as Angel did for me if not a little better before the fifth season knock-my-damned-socks-off slew of genius episodes. And I'm sure it'll be canceled. It's officially "on hiatus," which I'm sure means "waiting to find buyers for set-pieces" at Fox, until such time as the "network" decides to choke it for being something other than Fox-branded bull****.
--------------------------------------
And of course that last paragraph was written before we discovered the show was renewed. Very excellent. I really hope the show delivers on what we've seen from it in the last six episodes. If they can deliver that sort of entertainment throughout next season, I'm going to be totally happy to say I saw what the show could become, and I'm going to be even happier just to sit back and enjoy it.

figrin bran
09-29-2009, 02:03 AM
I wonder if Tycho will start watching this show now that Summer Glau will be in it?

I thought the premiere was okay. It was amusing to see Lee Adama punch out Helo.

OC47150
09-30-2009, 08:44 PM
I thought the premiere was okay. It was amusing to see Lee Adama punch out Helo.

I agree. I rate it about the same as the majority of last season's eps. This season does have some interesting possibilities, like the good doc going AWOL, where is Alpha/Alfa, Ballard delving deeper into the Dollhouse.

I'll keep watching.

Kidhuman
10-11-2009, 10:26 AM
Excellent episode. I loved the transfer of Victor and Echo.

OC47150
10-22-2009, 09:45 PM
Dollhouse is benched for November sweeps.

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2009/10/dollhouse-sits-out-november-sweeps.html#comment-673317

I really liked the last episode. The Victor storyline was great. Nice to see his character utilized this season. Until Victor and Echo switched identities, I thought the Echo storyline was pretty dull.

OC47150
11-11-2009, 09:23 PM
It's canceled.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091111/ap_en_tv/us_tv_dollhouse_canceled

Am I surprised? No. It's on Friday night and the quality of the show wasn't the greatest, which has been my biggest complaint since it first started. You'd have one good/memorable ep and then two crappy ones.

OC47150
12-13-2009, 08:31 PM
Anyone else still watching?

I haven't watched Friday night's eps yet.

Summer Glau's character was interesting but any actress could've played that role. And Topher was too much like a pre-adolescent school boy gushing all over Glau's Bennett.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-13-2009, 09:43 PM
I forgot about it last week, but recorded it this week. I haven't checked to see if last week's episode is online.

Edit - I see it is available on Fox's website, and that there were two episodes last week that I missed.

figrin bran
12-13-2009, 10:43 PM
I'm still watching.

The last few episodes have been very good, I thought.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-14-2009, 12:21 AM
I just watched the two episodes from last week. Since the credits go by so fast or are shrunk down on TV, I never noticed that the theme song was done by Jonatha Brooke. I purchased one of her songs, "No Better", from iTunes. The song used for the Dollhouse theme is called, "What You Don't Know," but I had not heard it outside of what is used for the theme.

figrin bran
12-19-2009, 02:21 AM
I watched both episodes tonight. The first one was okay, the second one superb! Any show with both a reference to the Wildcat formation that has been in vogue in the NFL the past two seasons along with the line "Darth Vader only kills his lieutenants, not stormtroopers" is a winner in my book.

Great twist at the end where we find out that Adele didn't place Echo in the attic as a punishment so much as to find out about the Rossum Corp's mainframe computer.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Indeed, good episodes.

Technically, Vader killed a captain and an admiral in ESB.

OC47150
12-20-2009, 07:54 PM
It's like, now that the producers know the end is near, the quality of the show has improved.

Both eps were great. I was glad to see a Victor-focused ep.