PDA

View Full Version : Sideshow's Lando Calrissian

Jayspawn
02-20-2009, 12:28 PM
Hello, what have we here? Sideshow's 12" Lando Calrissian from ESB went up for sale this morning. They offered a standard and Exclusive which included the Bespin intercom mic. $79.99 for either version.

Personally I've been waiting for this figure for a long time, so I placed my order for the standard version (could care less about the exclusive really).

JediTricks
02-20-2009, 12:46 PM
750 pieces for the exclusive. I would be far more excited about this one if it weren't $30 more than the figures from 3 years ago. I was planning to get sleep instead, but I woke up 5 minutes before and decided to order from bed via the laptop. Somehow, I got in on the exclusive, Darth Metamute says it was sold out in 4 minutes! The likeness is pretty darn good, but I'm never fired up about Lando figures, he's a cool character but a secondary player, not much for him to do. If I take this figure to completion (a big "if" since I'm facing a total of $94 with tax & shipping) it'd be the only non-main character figure I've bought from SSC.

dr_evazan22
02-20-2009, 03:19 PM
Weeks ago I had taken off from work yesterday and today; yesterday I got mixed up and thought i had completely forgotten about the preorder. Long story short, I have the exclusive on preorder.

After seeing this costume at the Smithsonian some years ago I've developed a strong liking for it, all because of the pattern on the inside of Lando's cape.

Lord Malakite
02-20-2009, 10:00 PM
Both versions are now listed on Collection Station (http://www.collectionstation.com/categories/view/12-Figures-16-Scale.298/Heroes-of-the-Rebellion.301).

AmanaMatt
02-21-2009, 12:18 PM
The price does not bother me....no way we are getting $50 figures anymore....and with the economy the way it is, this is a new reality. Now, that said, i do feel its $10 too much, but I like it. As long as Lando isnt tiny on this new body as Indy was, I am cool - ordered the exclusive - I am a sucker for those extra accessories.

Blue2th
02-21-2009, 01:00 PM
I probably should have gotten this one, but since I didn't buy much of the OTC characters, except for the Stormie (which is fixing to get processed) and Vader, and some early SS offerings, I really can't justify getting Lando. Starting to feel the pinch $.

I might be able to get him later, as I do have Bespin Han.
Seems Bespin Luke is pretty easy to find.
I'm guessing Leia Hoth will follow soon.

I am on the wait-list for the Sandtrooper I missed. Hope that turns out and I get one.

AmanaMatt
02-21-2009, 08:40 PM
Yeah exclusive or reg Han Bespin is easy to find. One of their only SW 12"ers that I feel is terrible all the way around.

Blue2th
02-21-2009, 09:42 PM
I ordered Han Bespin PPO exclusive, and got underwhelmed like the rest. Well I got the Mynok at least.:rolleyes:
ANH Han looks better.

JediTricks
10-09-2009, 01:05 AM
Lando is 22 days away. I'm still not sure about this one, but I'm feeling a little more confident that I'll take it to completion than I was before, this is just timed better.

Jayspawn
10-09-2009, 01:25 AM
Got my 22 day notice also. I'm sold on this one. Can't wait!

JediTricks
10-15-2009, 03:46 PM
Hmm, it looks bad for my Lando order again, my car developed a $500 problem.

JediTricks
10-16-2009, 02:40 PM
Hmm, looks like Lando got a reprieve, Sideshow's newsletter is updating the ship date for Lando to read November.

jedibear
10-26-2009, 09:11 PM
Had to cancel this a while back. but I jumped on the waitlist so we'll see...

AmanaMatt
10-29-2009, 08:20 PM
Based on one inital pic set, this looks to be as close to a homerun as SS can pull off right now

http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66111

I am very, very pleased with the final paint apps - posted feels the body is pretty tight sans waist, and looks to be correct height

And its missing the doll dot!!!!

JediTricks
10-30-2009, 02:40 AM
Mine will arrive tomorrow. When I saw $101 and change show up in my bank account, I was none too pleased, so this better be a damned good figure.

AmanaMatt
10-30-2009, 11:23 AM
Mine will arrive tomorrow. When I saw $101 and change show up in my bank account, I was none too pleased, so this better be a damned good figure.

Yeah, I used some SS credit on this one, so total was $75 and change.....

JediTricks
10-30-2009, 03:05 PM
Turns out they preauth the max, then drop it down to the real price when it ships. Mine is $92, still ridiculous compared to not that long ago, but at least it didn't cross the imaginary line. Mine should be at my mailbox place now, so I'll head down there in a little while.

jedibear
10-30-2009, 09:12 PM
Let me know what I missed, JT.... :)

JediTricks
10-31-2009, 04:27 AM
Ok, so first off, the mailer is back to the form-fitting style like the old days, no empty space filled by foam caps, which almost guarantees damage to occur - like that thin bubble wrap is gonna stop squat.

The box itself is a single box 5th panel rather than a traditional double box 5th panel, so it's akin to the Stormtrooper box and little else. Annoyingly, the tray on mine is dented.

The figure's likeness is bang on. Those pictures don't do it justice, it's a really good sculpt and decent paint. No doll dots. The expression is a little stern without being overwhelming, not dead-eye generic but not grimacing or anything weird. The connection from head to neck looks ok by me, yes there is a seam but I don't think it's overt, the range of movement more than makes up for that since it's a fairly expressive style.

The costume seems fairly accurate, but at first blush the material used on the pants and shirt comes off cheap. Maybe it's the simple cut of Lando's movie costume, I'm not sure, I need to give it more time - it's not like light bleeds through it or anything, I dunno what to think. The boots are accurate and short, too often revealing the lack of socks, it's a real shame they didn't include something here since this figure is so expensive. The belt is pretty big, looks accurate, floats around a bit though. The costume comes out of the box fairly decent but could definitely stand some futzing.

The body is the Prometheus, and mine has a couple problems. The lateral shoulder joints are nearly frozen; and the torso joints are so loose he often slumps forward. The marionette-like torso is unacceptable, maybe mine is an anomaly but it doesn't even feel like there are joints inside, just loose pieces somehow held together. That distracted me from checking how strong the other joints were or weren't. I feel like the body is too thin for this character. Lando isn't a bulky guy but his thin, simple clothes on the Prometheus just seems like a mannequin wearing ill-fitting clothes, especially the lower body.

This figure lags on accessories. First off is the cape, it's in a separate bag. It's pretty good but smells horrible. It has a pattern lining and a wire collar, the wire does a lot of the work keeping the cape on his shoulders. I forgot to flip the collar down, not even sure if it can, but it should. Next is the Lobot controller on his wrist, it's a little loose due to the prometheus's wrist design but it's fine, just some cheap paint on mine and I don't remember the face being wider than the band. Then there's a second set of hands, I didn't put any time into these at all, sorry. Lando comes with 2 weapons, which is good because at this price, just the stormtrooper blaster ain't gonna cut it. As mentioned, he comes with the stormtrooper blaster, but they also included the rebel fleet trooper blaster as well - no, Lando didn't use it in the film, but he did famously wield it in Lando marketing photos of the time, so good call Sideshow. Finally, the exclusive has the Cloud City microphone, it's quite small and somewhat simple, but looks accurate.

All in all, paying $92 is a bit too much for this one. It's a good figure, but doesn't quite cross "great" territory and comes with far too little to justify the higher pricetag. The prometheus body once again doesn't quite meet the expectations it should have, and still has some bugs to work out.

jedibear
10-31-2009, 10:05 AM
That really sucks about the box. Piett came that way too and I really lucked out (especially where I live and how many hands a figure has to go through to get here) that it arrived undamaged...

So just wire around the neck of the cape, not the bottom? Bummer....

Do you have Bespin Han? Just curious how he stacks up height-wise with him. if I pick this up sometime, that'd be how I'd display him...with Han ala the landing platform...

Too bad about the Pro body issues. Strange...the few figures I've received utilizing this body have been ok...guess I've been lucky.

So the neck doesn't look so bad, eh? That's cool...I'm not a fan of the Pro's style of neck piece. Granted, it allows for a bit more with posing, but I prefer the look of a sculpted neck...

Well...I'll hope my WL converts or I'll attempt to pick him up later...

Thanks for the review, JT...

JediTricks
10-31-2009, 01:43 PM
Man, when you're spending this much coin and they can't even think of enough stuff to put in a 5th panel box for these guys, that seems so wonky. I haven't bought any secondary characters so I had no idea it came that way.

No wire around the hem. The cape does drape nicely though, it has a good weight to it where the shirt didn't, so I think it'll work with posing.

I do have Bespin Han, I haven't thought to put them together, I'll give that a shot tomorrow. The Buck body is taller than the Prometheus right off the bat though, so I can guarantee you Han will be taller than Lando. In my display, Lando will be all standoffish because he doesn't want to catch the mumps. ;)

I definitely didn't feel like the neck was an issue visually, and the ability to move the head to the side or look up or down made a HUGE difference over the Buck body. Yes, ideally we'd like to see no seams, but this one doesn't bother me.

Good luck on yours.

Jayspawn
11-01-2009, 09:53 AM
Got my processing notice -can't wait to get him! Thanks for the Lando-in-Review JT. I'll probably have Lando hangin with Bespin Han & Luke.

JediTricks
11-01-2009, 01:05 PM
Sure thing.

Is yours the exclusive or is the regular edition shipping now?

AmanaMatt
11-01-2009, 06:53 PM
I'll have mine Wed.....as for the shipping box, theyve been pulling the 'no extra protection' thing for a few figs now....Han and Luke set came that way. There was another one, but I am blanking

JediTricks
11-01-2009, 07:27 PM
Seems like they are getting really cheap again, I don't like it. They raise their prices astronomically and then lower the quality of the presentation?

jedibear
11-01-2009, 08:59 PM
I'll have mine Wed.....as for the shipping box, theyve been pulling the 'no extra protection' thing for a few figs now....Han and Luke set came that way. There was another one, but I am blanking

Admiral Piett.

jedibear
12-24-2010, 09:16 AM
Don't want folks to think I'm necro-posting here...but after all this time, I just got this figure.

It's the regular version (no Cloud City Comlink). As I recall, he was one of the early figures featured on the Pro, so there are a few issues...hard to pose, loose legs....and that awful neck piece! I really miss the sculpted necks.

Overall, I like the look. Outfit's tailored well, wire in neck of cape helps hold it on body ok. The head sculpt is excellent.

I'm glad I finally got the ole' smoothie...here's a few shots...

jedibear
12-24-2010, 12:16 PM
....and here are a few more with his fellow scoundrel... :)